View Poll Results: Is This Game Looking Like Uncharted Ft. Lara?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's unique in it's own way!

89 60.96%
  • Yes, CD is using the exact formula!

10 6.85%
  • No, but it is a little more noticeable.

34 23.29%
  • Yes, but not so much that I care.

18 12.33%
  • I'm not sure

10 6.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider vs. Uncharted

Quote Originally Posted by xXTombRaiderXx View Post
    i really do love the uncharted games but...to be honest Tomb Raider is a lot more popular than Nathan Drake he's good but Lara is 100x better . she is original and brung adventure in to the gaming industry where as uncharted tryed to take lara's place and be the new big hero....but for me failed tbh!
    I wouldn't say Naughty Dog set out to say lets throw Lara off her already toppling, in a few cases already, toppled tower.

It's like I wrote a fantasy style book a while ago, for personal satisfaction, that doesn't mean I was intent to overthrow J.K. Rowling and her crown of records.

I create whatever I want when I feel like it, not to be better than everything else, just as I'm sure Naughty Dog did.

while im a big uc fan and after having fully enjoyed and completed all 3 uc games and obtained all their trophies i can't say that drake has reached lara, not by a long shot!
    i remember myself playing lara back in 2000s when uncharted..
    hey it wasn't even exist back then.
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

Uncharted may not even exist any more after their third console outing (which is doing quite well) and their first PS Vita outing (Uncharted: Golden Abyss....which seems to look every bit as good as its PS3 cousin). I've heard vague rumors that the UC series is coming to a close....but do not take my word for it...again, rumors.

Naughty Dog is preparing a new game, different genre...called "The Last of Us" which looks to be inspired by "I Am Legend" or "The Road". Same gorgeous graphics quality, and the story looks to be quite compelling. The teenage girl character, Elle, in the game looks strikingly like a young Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde from Xmen III, or the cute architect from Inception)...and it almost sounds like she might be voiced by Chloe Grace Moretz...HitGirl from Kick-Ass).

It will be a PlayStation 3 exclusive, and I am waiting with bated breath.

Back to TR vs UC.

^The Last of Us surely looks awesome! It has been under development for two years, since the end of Uncharted 2. It's not the same team that has been working on the Uncharted series (it has e few guys that worked on UC2, but overall it's a different creative team), so Naughty Dog developing a new game by no means equals no more Uncharted! Quite the contrary, as far as I've heard, the team at ND working on the Uncharted series has said several times that they have lots of adventures they want to tell with Nate!

And the character from The Last of Us, Elle, has been confirmed to be voice acted by Ashley Johnson.
    signature image

I know that the Last of Us is being directed by the same guy who directed Uncharted 2.

But I fully believe that Naughty Dog will have a better series over all as they are technically 'safer' than Crystal.

Tomb Raider on the other hand has a very uncertain fate. If the new one turns out to not be too great then I'm sure Tomb Raider is done for. I'm not being harsh but I say this about any game, film or book that I love. Like Marilyn Manson, I love the guy's music but if his newest album isn't great I doubt we'll see him again.

I'm not stating TR is better or vice versa but I find the comments that "never be as big as Lara" are a bit odd considering that whilst the new TR looks good what will the sequel be?

If any of you catch my drift?

I could write a dozen sequels myself based on what I think the end of the island adventure will be, honestly. And I can only make a guess. I suspect that CD have put massive amounts of thought into where they intend to take Lara - and HOW - for the foreseeable future. I'm not bothered about 'can they make the next Lara game' at all.

Whether they will get the chance is the thing...

The real question is how will the gaming audience take to 'New Lara' and the new beginning for her? A reboot is always a risk, because you WILL lose some of the older fans who will no longer recognise 'their' character. The gamble is that the amount of new interest will be vastly greater than the number of lost fans, which no-one can predict.

I think I'm right in saying that everyone here wants the reboot to succeed and set off a whole new period of success for the Tomb Raider series. Because more TR games can never be a bad thing...

As for the possibility of 'no more TR games' - I wouldn't worry about that at all, honestly. Lara is like James Bond or Doctor Who - she's enough of an icon that someone will always bring her back, somehow. Might be a gap of some years, then a clever person will say, "Wait a minute! I have a GREAT idea for a new Tomb Raider game!" And Lara will be back
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
    TR rules and Uncharted drools. 'Nuff said
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Who's Drake?
    XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ants_27_ View Post
    Tomb Raider on the other hand has a very uncertain fate. If the new one turns out to not be too great then I'm sure Tomb Raider is done for. I'm not being harsh but I say this about any game, film or book that I love. Like Marilyn Manson, I love the guy's music but if his newest album isn't great I doubt we'll see him again.
    Completely disagree.

I think the TR franchise has actually already proven that it can bounce back very well from any "mishap", if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    As for the possibility of 'no more TR games' - I wouldn't worry about that at all, honestly. Lara is like James Bond or Doctor Who - she's enough of an icon that someone will always bring her back, somehow. Might be a gap of some years, then a clever person will say, "Wait a minute! I have a GREAT idea for a new Tomb Raider game!" And Lara will be back
    Exactly.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

@Elliot Kane - Yeah, I guess the real question is whether people will like the new Lara or not, I'm sure they will as I've seen quite a big interest off of people I know, who since AOD couldn't stand the games.

^ Yep, I pretty much agree with Elliot too, she's, like, immortal
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Ants,

I think a lot of people are interested in and intrigued by the new game (Not least myself and many others on here, of course! ). That's likely to translate well into initial sales. But SO much will depend on word of mouth and gamer reactions to the new reboot.

I suspect what we need is Dragon Age (Solid initial sales followed by great gamer reaction, followed by strong and sustained sales over time) rather than Dragon Age 2 (Great initial sales, very poor gamer reaction, sales drop off like a rock in a black hole) if the new direction is to take hold.

And right now, all predictions on that are pointless...
    signature image

they are both amazing games , but i dont understand why there always are compared to each other yeah they both are kinda do the same thing except nathan drakes is always in it for the money , and i just dont see them to as things that should be compared because tbh there nothing a like.
    signature image

Too Much Like Uncharted? Or No?

This is merely to find out the opinions of others on the forums, but I've been reading around (mainly comments on other sites like youtube) that Tomb Raider is shaping up to be a rip off of Uncharted (which I find preposterous) and I just wanted to know how the community felt about this? I know that CD is using Uncharted for inspirational means, but I think it's unfair to assume that it means CD is straight up copying Naughty Dog. Or does it seem that way?
    signature image

Huh, wha?!?... Tomb Raider created the contemporary action adventure formula. Even older franchises like Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones etc started to adapt the classic 3rd person platform format. Tomb Raider still being a popular series (some ups and downs, but still undeniably popular) is like if we had had ten sequels of Wolfenstein 3D for instance. No one could ever beat Lara in this format, for Tomb Raider was absolutely original, one can't be a pioneer stepping in someone else's footprints.

Tomb Raider was the first of it's kind. Uncharted is exploring a paved road. If Lara and Nathan will eventuaslly meet in this road id because Lara is coming back while Nathan didn't see the end of it yet.
    signature image

Uncharted 1 was actuallly a bit of a Tomb Raider copy and I think TR really created the niche of games which Uncharted has thrived in. I don't think TR is copying Uncharted too badly though the idea from new game is a little too heavily based on the drama series Lost. There is often too much comparision with Uncharted and people seeing a link when many other games do these things but people only want to see the Uncharted similarity.

It is fine going down the path of lets make Lara as realistic as possible but she does need an standout element. They can only keep saying we don't want Lara to be as sexy, as confident, as stylish, as strong etc before you take out too much and have a Lara that will just fall in to Nathan Drake's wake. That's what CD have to beware of.
    signature image

I'm not trying to spark a war between UC and TR either lol... but I agree with you both, but the arguements that people have presented in their comments were along the lines of actual gameplay footage, how cinematic everything is this time around as opposed to previous Tomb Raider titles. No doubt Lara paved the way from these games, but looking at it now, the gameplay is so drastically different, and that is where people are getting their ideas from. it does have that cinematic feel to it with how she reacts. Personally i love it though :P
    signature image

I don't see any resemlance... Uncharted is more like a thidr-person shooter/platformer to me xD (though there are some puzzles) I mean, TR updates graphics a little bit, and suddenly it's an Uncharted rip-off. No way, hose
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Everything has been said already.

TR created the genre, Uncharted copied and modernized it.

In fact, I can't see how Uncharted is any different other than it having nice graphics and a 'better' combat system.

This TR will get nicer graphics, but the combat system hasn't been revealed yet, so I can't yet comment on that.

Anyone who says that TR is copying Uncharted is stupid. This is not just my opinion, this is fact

Anyone who says that Uncharted copied TR is not stupid. This is my opinion and fact
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    I don't see any resemlance... Uncharted is more like a thidr-person shooter/platformer to me xD (though there are some puzzles) I mean, TR updates graphics a little bit, and suddenly it's an Uncharted rip-off. No way, hose
    Yeah I agree, but the arguments aren't just in graphics, but the narrative gameplay elements. For example if you saw the e3 stage demo, when she was walking and tripped and interacted with the environment more-so than previous games. I agree that people are dumb for saying it's a rip off, but there are some things from Uncharted that i can see have influened our Ms. Croft. do you think that they'll make it work in a sense that feels unique?
    signature image

ok now read carefully, im a big uncharted fan and tr fan..
    im not taking any side of the two either neither fanboism on tha matter..
    1st uncharted is the one COPYING tomb raider and it's bloody obvious on how drake turns around to jump it's a copy paste lara move from tr legend!
    btw no one mentions tr in uncharted forums but here u guys mentioning it many times and it's getting boring really..
    so conclusion: no, tomb raider is different.. maybe not unique but still.. uncharted is an action/adventure 3rd p shooter
    tr is horror/action/adventure
    the games share elements and have similarities but they r different on the end
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

Quote Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post
    Yeah I agree, but the arguments aren't just in graphics, but the narrative gameplay elements. For example if you saw the e3 stage demo, when she was walking and tripped and interacted with the environment more-so than previous games. I agree that people are dumb for saying it's a rip off, but there are some things from Uncharted that i can see have influened our Ms. Croft. do you think that they'll make it work in a sense that feels unique?
    Lara interacted with the world in Underworld though. Did the people who are saying this not play it or something? She moved leaves out of her way and held her hands out to walls before she bumped into them and much more. Now if im not mistaken, TRU came out before the second Uncharted and was probably in development while the first Uncharted came out. Unless CD are psychic, which I highly doubt, TR can't have copied that off Uncharted. Lara does interact more with the world around her in this new TR but that's just evolution of Underworld, not because they're copying Uncharted.

PS.: I know this isn't your opinion and I'm directing it at other people's thoughts.

@LaraRocks2: I think your poll is missing the "UC is copying TR" option

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis.. View Post
    ok now read carefully, im a big uncharted fan and tr fan..
    im not taking any side of the two either neither fanboism on tha matter..
    1st uncharted is the one COPYING tomb raider and it's bloody obvious on how drake turns around to jump it's a copy paste lara move from tr legend!
    btw no one mentions tr in uncharted forums but here u guys mentioning it many times and it's getting boring really..
    so conclusion: no, tomb raider is different.. maybe not unique but still.. uncharted is an action/adventure 3rd p shooter
    tr is horror/action/adventure
    the games share elements and have similarities but they r different on the end
    I'm sure the reason for Uncharted not frequently mentioning TR is because they know deep down that their game is a carbon copy of TR but with a * (male genitalia ). Not trying to be prejudice but America does have a knack for copying everything Brits do and making it more dramatic anyway so it wasn't a suprise when Nathan Drake inevitably popped out of the woodworks but moving back to the subject

There are many threads in this forum that cater to many people's thoughts and feelings so if you think it's boring then don't discuss in this thread. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    @LaraRocks2: I think your poll is missing the "UC is copying TR" option
    Very true. This poll is biased!!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast