Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: News: possibly new LOK in the making...

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    No, plot reasons. That guy is the main charcter. They obviously wouldn't use his sprite more than once unless there was a reason.
    Among the other reasons which I've pointed, it's unheard of to have a game today with character models that are exactly alike.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lost in eternal limbo.
    Posts
    1,496
    Not true. Enemies almost always look the same, because they just reuse the same model. Major characters yes, and it's quite impressive. I don't see what your point is though. Older games had inferior technology to what we have now? You don't say. I hope you're not saying that they were lazy to have those other guys in that picture that look exactly the same as The Nameless One. I guess they were just lazy in Blood Omen when Kain fights himself from the future! They were just like "Oh man, we have to make ANOTHER enemy? Let's just make another Kain!"

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano182 View Post
    They sure are action RPG's, you shoot, hack and kill things as much as you would do in any other game, arguably even more than in any LOK game; and in an awesome manner as well.

    And if you really think any of the LOK games, as they stand on gameplay, are better third person action games than any of the ME or DA series are, then............well

    That's not what I said though. I'm not saying LoK games have better gameplay than a triple A title made a decade later.

    What I am saying is that those are not true action games. And DA isn't an action game at all (not even DA2 and its feature of disabling the auto-attack).

    ME on the other hand is an action game of sorts, but it's clearly a hybrid action/RPG. The action is compromised in a sense because they just didn't make them up to the standards of today. They're clearly just good enough to facilitate the powers and the RPG mechanics and to be fun.

    That is not what I'd like to see for a future LoK game. I'd prefer someone who isn't untested with an actual third persona action game but instead have made a hybrid with a focus on RPG. Hopefully I've made that more clearer this time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano182 View Post
    I know people disliked DA2, but seriously, it can't be the RPG purists' prefered "wicker man" for eternity.
    No, it gets enough recognition for being a subpar game as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    Not true. Enemies almost always look the same, because they just reuse the same model.
    Yeah, modern games are still plagued with that. In a lot of cases it's understandable (even today) because you still have to worry about budget and resources. Though with some games like Dragon Age which itself is notorious with reusing all kinds of resources does that more than it seemingly should have with even the human enemies.

    Though apparently that might have had something to do with their really old game engine which could only have so much resources used at once. Which some seem to think will be less of a problem for DA3 with the new engine they're using.
    signature image

  4. #54
    From reading it seems most commenting probably weren't even born yet when Diablo was released. And were still too young to even understand Blood Omen or Planescape. If all you can compare these to is Mass Effect than you don't know much about the history of gaming\rpgs.
    Blood Omen was novel at the time because most games were not this sinister, this deep, or this fun. The same with Soul Reaver. I see maybe comparing Blood Omen to the early line of Dragon Age games but still DA:Origins\Awakening is after much progression in graphics, physics, and character models. Like with earlier movies you have to keep in mind what these developers were working with.

    Still though, maybe it's just me, but everyone here seems to be drifting far off topic: "possibly new LoK in the making"

    While playing the new Tomb Raider all I could think of is, "holy *. this would be the perfect engine, the perfect camera angles, the perfect gameplay, and the perfect timing for a new LoK game!"
    I would love to play as Kain again and do some evil and some rebelling against the elder god. Would also love to see the times left out of the game like the resurrection of his brood and Raziel gaining his wings.
    I just started Soul Reaver again a few weeks ago. First time playing since it was originally released and I still enjoy it more than most games that have come out since. To be able to play remade versions of these would also be great. If they could perfect the character & camera movements, give the polygons some texture, make combat more dramatic. God, there's an unlimited amount of improvements that could be made with today's technology. I really don't see what's holding them back from new games or even remakes of the originals.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Heathrow, London
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    From reading it seems most commenting probably weren't even born yet when Diablo was released. And were still too young to even understand Blood Omen or Planescape. If all you can compare these to is Mass Effect than you don't know much about the history of gaming\rpgs.
    erm that situation would seem to be very unlikely - primarily because if you do the maths - anyone born post-Diablo was about 8 when the last LoK game (Defiance) came out, and would therefore not really be old enough to get hold of it and so would likely not have been LoK fans anyway. I think you'll find that most LoK fans are getting on to their mid-30's now and were teenagers when Diablo/BO1/SR1 were released. (sure there's a 'second generation' if you like of those who were teenagers when Defiance was released, but they're still getting onto mid-twenties now and even the youngest would definitely have been around at Diablo release). They've simply approached gameplay comparisons from a different direction - and that doesn't mean they're five year olds.

    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    Still though, maybe it's just me, but everyone here seems to be drifting far off topic: "possibly new LoK in the making"

    While playing the new Tomb Raider all I could think of is, "holy *. this would be the perfect engine, the perfect camera angles, the perfect gameplay, and the perfect timing for a new LoK game!"
    I would love to play as Kain again and do some evil and some rebelling against the elder god. Would also love to see the times left out of the game like the resurrection of his brood and Raziel gaining his wings.
    Yes, maybe getting off-topic, but this is probably because a) lots of topics here for discussion of various LoK rumours etc (mostly in Lok general discussion), and b) with some very promising evidence at the start of the year there has been nothing since and it's gone quiet in the run-up to E3.

    As for TR/Crystal - they are good at 3rd person action/adventure, but then with the amount of years they've had a focus on it they really should be... And yes because LoK is mostly 3rd person AA, it can be tempting to see LoK/Crystal again; but as I've opined on other threads before I don't think this is necessarily the case - mainly because Crystal have been very verbal (though "vehement" and "[censored] off" are other ways I've heard to describe the tone) that they are not working on LoK games and are only doing TR and new IPs (new IP = new series)... (The Elder) God only knows what's actually going on behind the scenes in the world of LoK and Square-Enix at the moment, but give it another month or so .
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    From reading it seems most commenting probably weren't even born yet when Diablo was released. And were still too young to even understand Blood Omen or Planescape. If all you can compare these to is Mass Effect than you don't know much about the history of gaming\rpgs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    I see maybe comparing Blood Omen to the early line of Dragon Age games but still DA:Origins\Awakening is after much progression in graphics, physics, and character models.
    And Mass Effect and DA:O are much different and are not from the same generations of "newborn" childes, right. Weird logic.

    I really can't see what's the comparison between the great Blood Omen and overhyped illogicality such as DA:O. Really, if you said Witcher or Super Mario you'd had more comparison ground there.
    Again, weird logic.

    Bo/LoK games are priceless jewels in the gaming and are not meant to be praised by the general mediocre gaming population that consists out of 13-15y olds who find Assassins Creed "teh best ting eva" between the usual DotA2 vs LoL warfawe, while keeping the Bioshock : Infinite as the "best stori eva!" on their foreheads...

    I'm under impression that LoK fans (true ones) are also true gamers who'd rather value rarity and quality over quantity and "pass-free-time-point-and-click-games". Unique things, rare things, something that's not commonly seen in the video-game history. Sadly, that sort of a thing is even rarer nowadays.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
    And Mass Effect and DA:O are much different and are not from the same generations of "newborn" childes, right. Weird logic.

    I really can't see what's the comparison between the great Blood Omen and overhyped illogicality such as DA:O. Really, if you said Witcher or Super Mario you'd had more comparison ground there.
    Again, weird logic.

    Bo/LoK games are priceless jewels in the gaming and are not meant to be praised by the general mediocre gaming population that consists out of 13-15y olds who find Assassins Creed "teh best ting eva" between the usual DotA2 vs LoL warfawe, while keeping the Bioshock : Infinite as the "best stori eva!" on their foreheads...

    I'm under impression that LoK fans (true ones) are also true gamers who'd rather value rarity and quality over quantity and "pass-free-time-point-and-click-games". Unique things, rare things, something that's not commonly seen in the video-game history. Sadly, that sort of a thing is even rarer nowadays.
    not me comparing. just commenting on all the others here that are.
    but if i had to pick one of the comparisons used repeatedly through the multiple threads I would choose Origins. because it was a great game and avoided most of the generic action game styles.

    i'm just as "scared" about them making a new Legacy of Kain game as I was when I originally heard The Lord of Rings was going to be turned into live action movies. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the movies but I can still watch them and enjoy what's there. I only hope this doesn't turn out to be the case if a new game comes to light. I started reading those books when I was around 10 in the late 80s and now my images of Middle Earth are forever ruined by the actors and scenes created. again hopefully this wont be the case with my amazing ideas so far ingrained by the LoK games.

    over and over for the last 4-5 years I hear of this big news being anticipated about a new game. like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazielim View Post
    (The Elder) God only knows what's actually going on behind the scenes in the world of LoK and Square-Enix at the moment, but give it another month or so .
    so far I've seen nothing concrete from anyone anywhere. give what another month or so? is your\our praying to the monitor going to change anything? i've read almost every link that's been posted through these threads and still seen no real evidence. only things taken out of context and wishful thinking(including my own wishes).

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    so far I've seen nothing concrete from anyone anywhere. give what another month or so? is your\our praying to the monitor going to change anything? i've read almost every link that's been posted through these threads and still seen no real evidence. only things taken out of context and wishful thinking(including my own wishes).
    Although I'm not nearly as convinced as others that there is a game in production right now at Square Enix, I think it's now safe to say that there at least has been one, and I can still buy into the widespread online hypothesis (from journalists, not us!) that E3 2013 would be the ideal place to reveal it. Whether you think they have anything to do with an imminent game or not, the War for Nosgoth domain and Richard Buxton's portfolio screwup aren't rumours. They do represent concrete evidence that Square Enix has been taking new action with this series. If they are working on a title in the LoK series for the next-gen launch as reported, it wasn't possible to announce it until this year.

    So if they want it to get real visibility, it would either come at the PS4 or Infinity announcements, or - much more likely if it's multi-platform, like BO2, Defiance and most modern Eidos games - at E3. Also consider that the Wolfenstein domain, registered by the same go-betweens who claimed the War for Nosgoth domain for Square Enix at the same time, turned out to be a real game just this past week.

    Of course, it's wisest not to anticipate anything, and the show is happening in less than 30 days, so there's no point either in complaining about it or sitting at the edge of your seat. If something is revealed, or otherwise, then that's that. Given the huge financial hurdles Square Enix has suffered just recently, I would not be entirely surprised such a project gets cancelled or crippled, assuming it even exists (even though Eidos has been doing nearly everything right - it's largely SE Japan to blame), so certainly there is no cause for excitement anyway. But let me say this to you, you're not giving Baziel any particularly new insight here and he is probably not praying to any monitors. He and I wrote the book on all the stupid LoK rumour wild goose chases which have come to nothing over the time period you mention.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Heathrow, London
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    over and over for the last 4-5 years I hear of this big news being anticipated about a new game.
    so far I've seen nothing concrete from anyone anywhere. give what another month or so? is your\our praying to the monitor going to change anything? i've read almost every link that's been posted through these threads and still seen no real evidence. only things taken out of context and wishful thinking(including my own wishes).
    I won't go through all the relevant bits that have come to my attention over the course of my work on the wiki (not the time or space lol), but needless to say, before the start of this year I too was very suspicious and did not (and still do not) rate baseless rumour and wishful thinking without evidence. Since then a couple of interesting bits have changed my opinion on the likelyhood of a new LoK. But really, the main reason is the events of February this year -'Concrete' confirmations that registrars working for Square-Enix purchased a very LoK-sounding domain "warfornosgoth.com", and then an artist lists that he had been working on Legacy of Kain animation on his portfolio before hastily removing it when the fans spot it (subsequently saved and confirmed by many). I mean even for the most cynical, two confirmed souces (that could be checked by anyone) in quick succession suggest something is/was going on in the world of Lok.

    Yes, most rumours for the past few years have had little actual evidence beyond "mysterious unidentified source says X" to show for them, but these two immeadiately did.... and the next oppurtunity we have to get answers about this is at E3 in a month (where Square/Eidos traditionally do their stuff) - even if those reports were nothing to really get excited about, we should going by previous records at least get some explanation, answers or even further denial then.

    Edit: or what Corlagon says ... Summed it up better and quicker than me, Thanks Corlagon - :-)
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lost in eternal limbo.
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
    I'm under impression that LoK fans (true ones) are also true gamers who'd rather value rarity and quality over quantity and "pass-free-time-point-and-click-games". Unique things, rare things, something that's not commonly seen in the video-game history. Sadly, that sort of a thing is even rarer nowadays.
    Well, yes I kind of agree, but then, there is a place for more mindless fun games I would say. Not everything has to be absolutely amazing and unique. I've instead thought this before, that I'm attracted to things that no one else likes. Legacy of Kain, Babylon 5, Boogiepop, it seems to just go on and on.
    But yes, I generally get attached to more unique games I would say, but then, of course I would think that my taste in anything is better than everyone else's.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by GObonzo View Post
    not me comparing. just commenting on all the others here that are.
    but if i had to pick one of the comparisons used repeatedly through the multiple threads I would choose Origins. because it was a great game and avoided most of the generic action game styles.
    I'm really failing to notice the comparison between the LoK series and the DA:O. apart from using the same voice actor.

    I don't share the opinion that DA:O was "a great game". It was an over-hyped typical BioWare mixture for an cRPG (although it was promoted as an console game ) that included the usual BG2 movement system with a "standard fantasy setting". Before that we had Jade Empire and Knights of the old republic. In fact, Jade Empire held more comparability then DA:O to the LoK title.
    Now, hold there a minute - "standard fantasy setting" is what's wrong here due to a fact that it promotes a mediocre cliche setting thus making it...well...a typical game for a typical audience. Nothing innovative, nothing new, nothing worth the hype.
    Many gobjects in it are copy/pasted and it tried to...hm...emulate the medieval EU fantasy with everyone trying to be funny.
    If you look at the textures of the slain enemies you might notice a floating puddle of blood.
    As for the combat system I can't say that it was a refreshment. DA:O just placed its own cliche story with already seen elements in other games, but, however, had an amazing marketing and promotion to achieve the status overhyped. Frankly, KotOR deserves more praise then DA:O and it's a good thing that after Witcher 2 nobody's talking about DA:O at all.
    My personal choice goes with the CDproject's upcoming games and as for the soldout BioWare I have nothing else to add. It's not the same company anymore nor the games are as amazing as before.

    So unless you can give specific "great" factor into the conversation to argument your statement regarding the almost impossible comparison, apart from personal enjoyment which is hardly a benchmark, i'd be more then willing to continue discussion since I really can't see the similarities between DA:O and LoK series.

    @Zulg

    Well, having many people knowing who Ezio or Altair are and not the Nameless one is already telling you a lot about what's mediocre < quality game. Not trying to sound like an elitist, but not everyone is a real gamer.

  12. #62
    There was going to be a game called "legacy of Kain: Dark Sun" That from what I read would have had almost nothing to do with LOK. Would have been far in the future past soul reaver, had a new main character, and wouldn't have had Kain in it. It would have also had a multiplayer also which is now called War For Nosgoth". Here's a hint to developers... make a game that continues the story.

    Of all the canceled games Dark Prophecy sounded the best, one of the developers said older Kain was going to spend most of the game in the demon deminsion. You would have met the Hylden King and Queen, and found Janos some where. While young Kain would have tied together the events of BO2 and Soul Reaver. Older Kain would have also gone into Nosgoth's future post soul reaver era. Too bad that was cancelled.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,649
    Yes, we've discussed the cancelled games and the new one over in the general section.

    You can find the thread on the "10 canceled games" of LoK here.


    The official thread on the new game, with questions that are answered by George Kellion a.k.a. Monkeythumbz, the community manager for it, here

    And here's the FAQ on what has been answered so far regarding that here.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Yes, we've discussed the cancelled games and the new one over in the general section.

    You can find the thread on the "10 canceled games" of LoK here.


    The official thread on the new game, with questions that are answered by George Kellion a.k.a. Monkeythumbz, the community manager for it, here

    And here's the FAQ on what has been answered so far regarding that here.
    Thank you puny mortal.
    "But I am dead. . . as are you!" - Kain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •