Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood Omen 1 on W 7

That might solve the installation problem, but I would still need the cd to play the game.

No. You need original cd only for installation.
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

Sorry it took so long to get back. So, I managed to successfully install BO1 along with the 2.0 patch, and I converted all the videos to bink format. Only one thing remains: how do I install the trainer to give the game a much needed speed boost? I tried downloading it. The main menu comes up, I click launch, and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

You need to place this trainer in the same folder as you installed game (on one level with kain.exe) and after that click launch button. If you click About button you will see all available hotkeys of the trainer.

Ok, so, if I put the trainer in the KAIN folder (my main game folder), the launch button on the trainer does nothing. If I put it in the kain folder (lower case), which is inside the KAIN folder, I get the message that the game requires its cd.

It seems that you install bink-support into subfolder kain of your main game folder KAIN, since thainer can't launch kain.exe in the main folder but run it the subfolder.
    (Do you have *.bik-files in the subfolder kain?)
    But you can just run the trainer (which should lie in the main game folder) and then run the game, - it also should work (without pressing button launch in the trainer).

Ok, I just tried again today and the trainer actually launched! I didn't change anything, it just decided to work today. Thank you, Wrace, for all your support and for the great software you've provided on your site. You've made me a happy little fanboy!

I glad for you and thanks for your words too.

First of all, thank you for all your help, wrace.

My problem is pretty much same as Graesholt's (post #53) and I've been trying to get BO1 to work for hours...I installed with Cuban Raul installer and used bink support, but no luck. I tried pretty much everything written in this thread excluding Virtual PC (my w7 version doesn't support it.)

My graphics card is sadly Intel HD. Checked the adapter, there's no problem. I'm running Win 7 x64 (but at the moment I honestly wish I didn't.) Any ideas?

Hi. At first thanks.
    If you have the same problem as Graesholt's (post #53 - i.e. movies and sounds are on, but the in-game picture is off), so "this is a characteristic of having the incorrect video driver loaded" and you need to correct this by changing settings of your video-card.

Hello.

first of thx for the great fixes and allowing me to play this game on windows 7 64 bit.

the game and the video's work fine, however the menu is having graphical artifacts. the sword cursor is a bit stuttery and when i move it around, it looks like this. weird lines over the screen.

when its standing still, there are no graphics glitches.

I was also wondering, is it posible to disable fullscreen? i prefer playing older games with black bars around, becuase this resolution 640x480 looks bad stretched on 1680x1050 monitor.

i have nvidia gtx 260 with latest drivers, and changing video settings didn't help.

is the game supposed to look like this?

also wanted to ask, to get the proper move speed from playstation version, i need to use a trainer? or will it then be faster then normal?

thx in advance, and again, great work on fixing up this game

Hi guys, i tried to run BO for hours and im desperate.. I have all patches and still game freeze after first video. Same problem like Ozka (guy at the tavern just keeps saying "The tavern is closing. Best be on your way, stranger." over and over) and game freeze. After alt+tab i see same error like is in post #35.

I tried install game on flashdisk, no change.

I can't load any game, when i want load game or credits, world map or controls, game freeze and crash.

I have win 7, 64 bit, home premium, GeForce GTX560, 301.42

Could i have wrong (or corrupted?) file "kain.exe"?

Im using Microsoft Security Essentials, but its disabled.

I really don't know what else to do, pls any idea?...

Quote Originally Posted by mikusak View Post
    Hi guys, i tried to run BO for hours and im desperate.. I have all patches and still game freeze after first video. Same problem like Ozka (guy at the tavern just keeps saying "The tavern is closing. Best be on your way, stranger." over and over) and game freeze. After alt+tab i see same error like is in post #35.

I tried install game on flashdisk, no change.

I can't load any game, when i want load game or credits, world map or controls, game freeze and crash.

I have win 7, 64 bit, home premium, GeForce GTX560, 301.42

Could i have wrong (or corrupted?) file "kain.exe"?

Im using Microsoft Security Essentials, but its disabled.

I really don't know what else to do, pls any idea?...
    Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings>Pefromance->Data Execution Prevention, set "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select", add Kain.exe to the list. That should fix it for you.

Is it possible to get a Windows 7 Blood Omen 1 Patch?

I have read online here on the forums and understand there is a installer, and some russian website that makes no sense to convert the .JAM files in the original Blood Omen Legacy of Kain game to get it to work. Problem is none of the links work for the video converter download. I managed to get the game to run but the FMV sequences are a issue. If the website was not in Russian I coud probably get this running.... but it would be nice to get an official all in one fix for Windows XP/7.

Is there any chance of this? And are there any people on these forums employed by Eidos that could tell me if it is possible, or if will will never happen? Or anyone who can point me in the direction to email someone directly to get this issue resolved.

Perhaps we could get a petition going here, and on Steam, and GOG. If Eidos felt people would buy the game maybe this could happen. But then maybe they don't even have the rights to do so since it was originally developed by Crystal Dynamics.

Greetings, jforrest1980. I've merged your question with the stickied thread we have on the subject. If you look back to the beginning pages, you'll see the method of getting BO1 to run on Windows 7 explained.

There is no official patch. These fanmade ones work pretty easily for people, though.

About Kain being slow. How slow are we talking when there is an issue? My Kain walks pretty slow. I don't remember him being so slow n the PS1 version. And he swings pretty slow also.

It is damn slow compared to PS1 version, yes. Though the absence of ever-annoying loading times (inventory management becomes really damn annoying near endgame in the PS1 version)

Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    It is damn slow compared to PS1 version, yes. Though the absence of ever-annoying loading times (inventory management becomes really damn annoying near endgame in the PS1 version)
    Been playing for about an hour and I decided the movement speed is manageable. If I remember right you move faster in different forms later anyway. I really need to finish this game. I played on PS1 all the time in jr high school but never completed it. It's still a lot of fun

There is one issue though that I have not seen mentioned here. My screen is stretched. It actually looks OK except my magic bar is barely visable. I can only see half of the vial and ball at the bottom of the vial. So I need to fix that. I assume this game was meant for an old CRT PC monitor and thus needs to be in 4:3 format. I see no video options other than gamma correction. I also checked the Kain folder to see if there was a .ini file to maybe manually set the video.

If anyone knows how to do this it would be appreciated to get things correct. I would like to know what you set it at.

Finally, i'm getting a new laptop in the mail later this week so can someone please tell me where the saves are located? I looked in Kain/saves folder and there are a bunch of items in there. How do I know which one is the one I need to move to my USB disk so I can pick up on my laptop when i'm with my GF.

Thanks everyone! You all have been very helpful!!! I 'm pretty stoked I get to finally beat this game, and on PC is a bonus! The game seems much better graphically than on the PS1.

Just move the whole folder, it doesn't weigh that much.
    As for stretching, I think you gotta adjust your monitor for that.

hm, there appear some new questions until my last visit.

the sword cursor is a bit stuttery and when i move it around, it looks like this. weird lines over the screen.
    Yeah, there is such glitch, but now it is not fixed. I just use arrows instead of mouse.

I was also wondering, is it posible to disable fullscreen? i prefer playing older games with black bars around, becuase this resolution 640x480 looks bad stretched on 1680x1050 monitor.

i have nvidia gtx 260 with latest drivers, and changing video settings didn't help.

is the game supposed to look like this?
    The game is supposed such feature but only for 320x240 resolution which is disabled by default in the last patches since some video-modes are not supported on the newest video-cards and lead to crush of the game.

also wanted to ask, to get the proper move speed from playstation version, i need to use a trainer? or will it then be faster then normal?
    Yes, you need to use a trainer which lies on my site (link in signature).
    About "be faster then normal" - I do not know since I do not play in PS-version.

I have read online here on the forums and understand there is a installer, and some russian website that makes no sense to convert the .JAM files in the original Blood Omen Legacy of Kain game to get it to work. Problem is none of the links work for the video converter download. I managed to get the game to run but the FMV sequences are a issue. If the website was not in Russian I coud probably get this running.... but it would be nice to get an official all in one fix for Windows XP/7.

Is there any chance of this? And are there any people on these forums employed by Eidos that could tell me if it is possible, or if will will never happen? Or anyone who can point me in the direction to email someone directly to get this issue resolved.
    hm, specially for english fans I created english page on my own (our russian) site, - link at my signature on this english page with files (patches, trainers).
    For converting BO1-movies (manually .jam-s and .vag-s) you need to use the first link in the BO1-section (!Bink-Converter for BO1! (+ bink-support)). This installer has original utilities (i.e. like "open source") that you can use them by your will.
    To download installer you need to click on the image in the left column (BO1.ico).

About gog.com (and Steam): they do not have rights from Silicon Knights (BO1 - it is not Eidos's product) to place updated BO1 on these sites. And as it was in the case of SR1, updated version of the game - it is just SR1 with applied patches from russian fan-site.

Finally, i'm getting a new laptop in the mail later this week so can someone please tell me where the saves are located? I looked in Kain/saves folder and there are a bunch of items in there. How do I know which one is the one I need to move to my USB disk so I can pick up on my laptop when i'm with my GF.
    Subfolder SAVES of the folder with installed game contains saves you seek.
    Saves are the files with the name in the format FI##.sav.
    FI0#.sav - saves on the first page, F1#.sav - saves on the second page, and so on.
    FI00.sav - upper save on the first page, FI01.sav - the second (from up to down) save on the first page, and so on.
    You can choose the saves you need, move another saves in another place, run game and check that you leave saves you needed. Also you can rename files as you wish (I mean by change the first and second of two numbers in FI##.sav).

Quote Originally Posted by jforrest1980 View Post
    About Kain being slow. How slow are we talking when there is an issue? My Kain walks pretty slow. I don't remember him being so slow n the PS1 version. And he swings pretty slow also.
    1st fix : I fixed it by disabling the rest of the CPU cores, leaving just one to function.
    Then I used a software to implement a fix to the executable file that will reduce the CPU power in half.
    Game worked pretty well, but the sound was an issue if I pick up the cards or similar.

If it still works slow
    Extra step for the fix : Windows emulation (Win 95-98) and install it in the default directory. That fixed even the sound issue for me.

One of the options is to emulate win 98 as much as possible (it's easier to emulate then to install because win 98 doesn't use modern drivers for the gpu etc)

And the best option IMO is to find a good Pentium III or IV with older stuff and enjoy older games properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
    1st fix : I fixed it by disabling the rest of the CPU cores, leaving just one to function.
    Then I used a software to implement a fix to the executable file that will reduce the CPU power in half.
    Game worked pretty well, but the sound was an issue if I pick up the cards or similar.

If it still works slow
    Extra step for the fix : Windows emulation (Win 95-98) and install it in the default directory. That fixed even the sound issue for me.

One of the options is to emulate win 98 as much as possible (it's easier to emulate then to install because win 98 doesn't use modern drivers for the gpu etc)

And the best option IMO is to find a good Pentium III or IV with older stuff and enjoy older games properly.
    Nah, it's not the issue, the PC version itself is slower than the PS1 original.

Aha, didn't know that one.

However there really was a slowdown during the combat and the music chop so those steps fixed my issue.

I didn't have any slowdowns with wrace's patches.

Heh, I never used any patches before

Might as well give it a try next time when I feel like playing BO on Win7

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast