Thread: 'Tactical enhancement pack' questions

'Tactical enhancement pack' questions

'Tactical enhancement pack' questions

For me, a silenced sniper rifle was always a major part of Deus Ex experience. In the original game, once I laid my hands on one, it was the only lethal weapon I needed (relaying on sneaking past, and knocking down enemies most of the time). So, needless to say, I was a bit upset to find out that you can't have one in DX:HR, unless you buy one..... with real money..... outside the game ..... what an annoying concept.
    But anyways, I couldn't find so far a solution for stealth sniping within the game, except for maybe the tranquilizer rifle, which has some short comings (especially, since enemies can revive each other), and I haven't had the chance to use the crossbow yet. So my first question would be:

In your experience, do any of the weapons in the game provide a suitable alternative to the silenced sniper rifle (with some mods or whatever...)? Or maybe stealth sniping isn't a very relevant or useful strategy in DX:HR at all.... I'd love to have some opinions about that. I'm only on my third mission or something, though, so please no spoilers......

The other question has to do with me actually considering to purchase the 'tactical enhancement pack' DLC which contains this weapon (even though it kinda feels like cheating).

Do any of you know by chance, if i'd be able to get the silenced sniper rifle (as well as the other benefits in the pack), even though I've started the game before installing the DLC, or would I have to start a new game?

Would really appreciate you input on any of those questions

Thanks.

As i've heard, the silenced sniper rifle deals way lower damage compared to the regular sniper, and there arent many moments where its actually useful.
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades
    As i've heard, the silenced sniper rifle deals way lower damage compared to the regular sniper, and there arent many moments where its actually useful.
    Yep, I agree with that. The silenced sniper rifle is more or less a waste of valuable inventory space. If you're wanting to clear a room silently, the tranq. rifle, or beefed-up 10mm w/silencer, are much better options.

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades
    Originally Posted by Kvltism
    Yep, I agree with that. The silenced sniper rifle is more or less a waste of valuable inventory space. If you're wanting to clear a room silently, the tranq. rifle, or beefed-up 10mm w/silencer, are much better options.
    What about the crossbow then, any use for stealth sniping?
    And the regular sniper..... any point carrying this beast around?

Originally Posted by rndx
    What about the crossbow then, any use for stealth sniping?
    And the regular sniper..... any point carrying this beast around?
    Crossbow: can be quite handy. Be sure to get the target-leading system for it, esp. when using it outdoors.

Sniper rifle: not bad from a distance, but keep in mind that it is a noisy weapon. It packs a decent punch - 7/10 base, from memory. Can attract too much attention in certain levels, and not as powerful as the 10mm with armour-piercing rounds, but it's a weapon I don't mind using. Oh, and don't fit a laser sight on it...

Originally Posted by Kvltism
    Crossbow: can be quite handy. Be sure to get the target-leading system for it, esp. when using it outdoors.

Sniper rifle: not bad from a distance, but keep in mind that it is a noisy weapon. It packs a decent punch - 7/10 base, from memory. Can attract too much attention in certain levels, and not as powerful as the 10mm with armour-piercing rounds, but it's a weapon I don't mind using. Oh, and don't fit a laser sight on it...
    Thanks!

The best silenced sniper weapon in the game is...

the 10mm pistol with the silencer and laser sight attachment. Seriously. It doesn't have the scope, obviously. It doesn't have as long a range as the sniper rifle either. However, it is silent, it is powerful, and it is accurate. The round lands where the dot is. Combine 4 damage mods with the armor-piercing mod as well and most human enemies go down with a single headshot.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I'm pretty familiar with the pistol, but just how weak is the silienced SR, anyways?

Also, I find the Crossbow seems to have pretty bad range... I've been finding that usually I need to get close enough in that I may as well use the pistol.

The Whisperhead will one-headshot any Spec Op besides an Ogre, or any Belltower besides the heavy gunners. Should also one-shot the non-heavy Harvesters.*

It's not that bad; in fact, I rather like it. It's just that with the overpowered 10mm being in the game, everything else seems like crap. The 10mm may be the weapon of choice for expediency, but it's not my weapon of choice for fun.

*Hardest difficulty. I don't know how it behaves in easier modes.

Okay, so it hits more or less like the silienced pistol minus the AP upgrade.. More than acceptable, I think, considering how bad I am with the crossbow (can't snipe a damn thing with that). Better on space than the crossbow too, I think (ie: large arrows = ).

Oh, and the sniper rifles, as you might imagine, have no range limitation. If you can see it, you can line the crosshairs up on it and shoot it. Just don't install the laser targeting system on any sniper rifle, though, because it'll mess up the alignment of the scope.

Originally Posted by Painman
    Oh, and the sniper rifles, as you might imagine, have no range limitation. If you can see it, you can line the crosshairs up on it and shoot it. Just don't install the laser targeting system on any sniper rifle, though, because it'll mess up the alignment of the scope.
    Yeah, I found that out the hard way in my first play-through. Ended up just discarding the rifle to free up space.

Oops.

(click image to enlarge)