Thread: Game Start Crash

Game Start Crash

Game Start Crash

Hello, I've got a problem, obviously.

I installed the game, started it and just wanted to begin with the naval academy stuff to get into the game, when the game crashes while loading it.

I've restarted the PC and even put every graphic setting down to the very lowest to no avail. I did notice an increase in how far the PC loaded before crashing after I put down the settings though.

I got a completely new PC with everything you could ask for to play the latest games on max settings, believe me.

It's a Windows 7 64-bit.

Need to know more still? Just ask.

I am experiencing the same problem.

My specs are the same, and I have Battlestations Pacific on Steam.

I really, REALLY want to play this. If I cannot play, holy *, I am going to kick someone's ass over this.

3. Please supply me with full PC specs as OS, GPU, CPU, RAM, Free Space, etc. Also tell me what is the % CPU and RAM usage before loading BSP and during the game running. That should be something to start troubleshooting with. On the side... did you update the game to the official 1.2 version as that resolved some game crashes.

Same problem here.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.6 GHz)
    8 GB DDR3 1600, 8-9-8-24
    Geforce 8800 GTS (640 MB version)
    600 GB WDC Raptor 10k RPM drive
    All latest drivers, patches and updates.
    Legal retail DVD of Battlefield Pacific.

Available memory: 5072 MB (probably more, cause I won't have a browser running)
    CPU use: 1-5%
    # of processes: ~70
    HD Space free: 65.6 GB (C), 407 GB (D), 56.9 GB (S)

( Unrelated problems - skip if not interested in workarounds
    First problem: No icons are installed during the install. My guess is it tries to install the icons to the Windows XP location (C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%) instead of %USERPROFILE%.
    Workaround: Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Battlefield Pacific\battlefieldpacific.exe and drag an icon out to the desktop and start menu manually.

Second problem: The update that Windows Live insists on fails after downloading because it apparently runs "update.exe" instead of ".\update.exe", which it should. If you have any other update.exe in your %PATH%, that update will run instead. (In my case, my BIOS update utility.)
    To make matters worse, if the update fails, GFWL insists on downloading it again from scratch, instead of using checksums and only downloading what's needed. So another 20 minutes with a fast cable modem. That's not Eidos fault, though, but calling "update.exe" is.
    Workaround: Find all other programs named "update.exe" and temporarily rename them before allowing BFP to update. That will allow the update to 1.2H to be installed. Just don't forget to rename your other update.exe files back again afterwards.

Third problem: The DVD verification fails about every third time. My drive is an Asus DRW-1608PS2. You'd think it was StarForce or something - it's just as unreliable, at any rate.
    Workaround: Retry. Most times it works. Or use a different drive.
    )

Fourth problem, no workaround: As described above - attempting to start an actual game from the game menu gives a CTD with "AppCrash" in bsp.exe after displaying "Loading". Error C0000005.

Here's the full error text Windows gives:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: bsp.exe
    Application Version: 1.2.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4a41e10a
    Fault Module Name: bsp.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.2.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a41e10a
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0066ef72
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    I've verified that all drivers are latest, all updates are current, and have uninstalled/reinstalled the game twice, to no avail.

No other games give me such a problem - I have ~100 games installed.

You can try to uninstall the game and manually deleting the files and registry entries (if not removed during uninstall) and install from scratch or perform a reinstall. That should be a start. As for the problem with the DVD the solution is to right-click on battlestationspacific.exe and selecting Launch Analysis and following the instructions. Since tha game's release many users complained about the bsp.exe crash. Apparently the 3 biggest culprits were a conflict (with another program called bsp.exe and windows gets confused), a corrupt install or a problem with a D2D patch (but this does not apply to GFWL)

Given your circumstances it almost sounds like a problem with the DVD itself. if possible try to install BSP on another PC and if you still have the same problems chances are you got a bad DVD. If you still have trouble don't hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by Axis_Crusher
    You can try to uninstall the game and manually deleting the files and registry entries (if not removed during uninstall) and install from scratch or perform a reinstall. That should be a start.
    Ah, the "reinstall" suggestion. It always comes up, from people who have no idea why something happens, and no competence to find out.
    Which is why I was very specific about saying ", and have uninstalled/reinstalled the game twice, to no avail.", so it wouldn't get suggested.

Given your circumstances it almost sounds like a problem with the DVD itself. if possible try to install BSP on another PC and if you still have the same problems chances are you got a bad DVD.
    The way Installshield (since at least 10.5 and newer) works, there is no such thing as a bad install due to a CD/DVD. Every file has a checksum, and if the checksum doesn't match for any of them, the installation is rolled back and aborted. In addition, Eidos' binaries are signed. If a single bit changes, the signature will fail.

No, it's bsp.exe that causes an unhandled access violation in bsp.exe. That's rather clear from the event log. No other binaries or DLLs are involved, and bsp.exe is bit-for-bit exactly what it should be. Can we please stop the blame shift, and try to find a credible cause to the problem? Multiple users are affected.

Apparently the 3 biggest culprits were a conflict (with another program called bsp.exe and windows gets confused)
    Sigh. No, Windows does not get confused. Windows does exactly what it is asked to do, and what it is well documented that it does.
    If you call an unqualified file name, Windows looks in every directory listed in the PATH variable, and only if it cannot find the named binary there does it look in the current directory. This is for security reasons (so you cannot put a file named the same as a system file in the current directory, and have it override and be called by system routines). There is absolutely no confusion. If you call "bsp.exe" without qualifying any path, Windows knows exactly what to do, and does it. It's an error on the part of whoever calls "bsp.exe", no ifs and buts. If you don't want to call a global executable (or dll) but your own, qualify the path. Either by prepending the installation path, or at least by prepending the current directory, like ".\bsp.exe".

Yes, I am a software developer. We make the worst support forum participants ever.

Well unfortunately the original www.battlestations.net forums does not exist any more. If it did I would have provided you a link backing up every single statement I made. I've followed this game from the day it was conceived and have first hand experiance with the code. Anyhow I sincerely apologise for "having no idea what happens and not have the competency to find out". In the future FIX THE PROBLEM YOURSELF and don't wet your pants when someone at least tries to help. I don't have time for people like you. Feel free to reply to this (this ought to be interesting) but I am unsubscribing to this topic.

If there are many sad stories, share it with the people you trust. Sharing helps people get closer together and you also relieve some of that sadness.
    Run 3