Page 2 of 7 First First 123456 ... Last

Thread: Why's everyone so angry?

Why's everyone so angry?

  1. #26
    Originally Posted by The_Bird_of_Hermes
    Asks the one telling people to stay in SP games and/or get off the internet.
    I agree that a proper server browser could encourage better behavior and result in games being filled more quickly, but you're being extremely dramatic. He never told you to do anything. Rather, he made the point that playing SP or staying offline is the only sure way to avoid online trolls (which is a fact.)

    Originally Posted by Vallass
    I would be happy with bots on my side, as long as I wasn't screwed into a one sided game. You say people shouldn't be forced to play a game with penalties, but I shouldn't be forced to play a game with penalties and unfair teams because someone doesn't wanna take 20 minutes to play a PvP game.
    I'd rather not be involved in the debate you two are having beyond my comment above, but I feel compelled to add my 2 cents regarding bots; I refuse to tolerate them, and will disconnect immediately from games that have bots. They're not acceptable in team oriented MP, and they're not even a worthwhile replacement for an average human player.
    Last edited by PencileyePirate; 1st May 2014 at 01:32.

  2. #27
    Things are getting a little heated in this conversation, so I'm just giving a fair warning that while discussions are always encouraged and appreciated, please do be mindful of the Terms of Use when it comes to how everyone is expected to conduct themselves. Threads will be locked if needed, and further actions can be taken if people continue to repeatedly cause problems.

    Thanks for understanding.

  3. #28
    I suppose I'll reply in order here then...
    Originally Posted by The_Bird_of_Hermes
    Asks the one telling people to stay in SP games and/or get off the internet.

    everything so far has been the logic of. "well if they don't wish to deal with me, they can go themselves"
    I never said to stay in SP or to get off the internet, I said those are pretty much your only options to avoid people being . I don't like it more than anyone else, I've just learned to ignore the outta them. I also never said they can themselves.

    Originally Posted by The_Bird_of_Hermes
    also to the report bs, no just no. THIS again is why xbox/mobas/etc have such a level of toxic. Its forcing people to deal with crap (not allowing them to leave as they wish,matchmaking bs, etc.) then slapping them in the face when they end up with social problems from it.
    They all have report systems too, hell even LoLs has been noted as being one of the biggest jokes ever. toxic trolls banning toxic trolls and legit players. You so much as have a 4/5 k/d and kiss your account goodbye if a premade reported you and sent you to the tribe. lol
    Dealing with crap is part of the internet as well, I want you to go to any site where people talk, and spend just 5 minutes reading different comments. I'd bet that at least 5 people are flaming just for the sake of flaming. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that it's inevitable. It's like going to a bar and expecting EVERYONE to get along. It's simply not going to happen. Of all the times I've played League, I've never been banned by the trolls. I've gotten a few banned even. I have no doubt the system is flawed, even the legal system is crap at times, but it's there for a reason. As for a bad score, I've been reported for that before. All they have to do is look at the game play, and know you did your best. If you sat there and gave up, then you handed them all the proof they need. I HATE having to play with people being , but it's pretty much the only way around it.

    Originally Posted by The_Bird_of_Hermes
    report systems only fix the symptoms of a toxic inducing system that causes mental and emotional distress at its core. Fix the core, create server list rooms, allow people to drop in and out at will. If they want a short game they can join a in-progress one.
    This is actually a good idea. Create a server list for those who might need to leave in a game, or those who don't have time for a full game. I really like that idea, especially since when you join that game mode, you know people might leave, AND there would be no need for penalties to players who leave early.

    Originally Posted by The_Bird_of_Hermes
    But I did find the mute, etc comment funny. Abuse is so much more then "mommy he said a bad word".

    An example of this is say you joined a video chatroom. BUT you were not allowed to leave the PC or stop watching it for say 30 minutes, if you did the SWAT or something would arrest you. Sure you could mute people but someone could force big screen themselves on your pc and wave their unspeakable parts at you for lulz. Now the "game" is to video chat. Just because this "person" sucks bad at video chating does not mean you can leave or do anything about it. You are to sit there, and watch them jiggle their parts at you for lulz because if you leave or afk you will be banned/punished/etc.
    and no, you can't report them as you can't report someone for sucking at "the game".
    As for the mute button, you're right, it's much more than just "he said a bad word". In REAL life, you can try to tune people out, with varying degree's of success. With a mute BUTTON, you can literally ignore everything they say without ever hearing or seeing it. A mute button takes power away from abusers by not allowing them to be abusive to you in ANY verbal way.

    The video chat room example is insane. While playing ANY game, you can walk away from your PC, stop paying attention to the game, or flat close it out. NO ONE will arrest you for closing a game or stop playing. You get a 5-10 minute ban from a game. I can't even think of anything in real life that's equivalent to a 5-10 minute ban. Literally nothing. Being banned costs you nothing but the time to take a shower. You don't have to pay for it. You don't have to go to court over it, or serve jail time. Even a cop pulling you over for a simple warning is more stressful than a 10 minute ban.

    Of all the things to reference this one is the worst. I think that almost EVERYONE knows if you're playing on chat roulette, 90% of it is genitals. Almost every chat roulette site is. As I've said, people are . Besides, If I get onto a chat site and someone shows me there genitals over and over, I'd like to think I have the sense to stay away from that sort of thing. You're not going to get stockholmes from something like that, and if you do, your problems started LONG before you logged onto the internet.

    I've also read PencileyePirates post just now, and we'll continue our conversation in private, if it continues. Sorry for the problems Pencileye. And Bird. And Eric. And everyone. Sorry.
    Last edited by Xenonetix; 23rd Jul 2014 at 23:11. Reason: Censored

  4. #29
    I never meant anything to get heated if it did and will put my last 2 cents in.

    But I do wish to admit that you were right about the chatroom being a insane example but its only because in real life its insane morally to punish someone from walking away from a something like that. 5-10 minutes or not.

    I only wish to stop the problem at its core and to help prevent what would otherwise be happy, non-toxic players sucked into a self-feeding cycle like I've seen happen before.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,091
    Yes, this is a competitive game. However, keep in mind that it's FREE2play. That means there will be casual players regardless of what people want. SUre, you lose. Being upset is fine, acting like a 3yr old because of it isn't. Justify it how you want, it comes down to a lack of control. This is a TEAM-based game. Complaining about your teammate who you know on your basketball team is fine. Complaining about the new guy in a game of pick-up isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you HAVE to win, then get like-minded players together. If you don't put for the effort to do that then you deserve the ban you're going to get for ruining everyone's game.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

  6. #31
    Originally Posted by cmstache
    Yes, this is a competitive game. However, keep in mind that it's FREE2play. That means there will be casual players regardless of what people want. SUre, you lose. Being upset is fine, acting like a 3yr old because of it isn't. Justify it how you want, it comes down to a lack of control. This is a TEAM-based game. Complaining about your teammate who you know on your basketball team is fine. Complaining about the new guy in a game of pick-up isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you HAVE to win, then get like-minded players together. If you don't put for the effort to do that then you deserve the ban you're going to get for ruining everyone's game.
    ^^^this
    signature image

  7. #32
    Originally Posted by cmstache
    Yes, this is a competitive game. However, keep in mind that it's FREE2play. That means there will be casual players regardless of what people want. SUre, you lose. Being upset is fine, acting like a 3yr old because of it isn't. Justify it how you want, it comes down to a lack of control. This is a TEAM-based game. Complaining about your teammate who you know on your basketball team is fine. Complaining about the new guy in a game of pick-up isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you HAVE to win, then get like-minded players together. If you don't put for the effort to do that then you deserve the ban you're going to get for ruining everyone's game.

    Cmstache, pretty much agree with everything, except for the casual gamers part. Even if there were only hardcore gamers, what's the point of blaming someone if you lose a game? It's only your time being thrown out of the window, because, instead of trying to insult someone, you can, I don't know, just play? In fact, I believe if one blames another for his problems, chances are the blamer is not too good at what he's doing either. He probably just wants to make it look like he is good, but fails because of his partner(s).

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2
    People get mad easily. Even easier when it's online.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,719
    As one who gets flamed A LOT in game about their performance I thought I'd share my thoughts...

    Originally Posted by cmstache
    Yes, this is a competitive game. However, keep in mind that it's FREE2play. That means there will be casual players regardless of what people want. SUre, you lose. Being upset is fine, acting like a 3yr old because of it isn't. Justify it how you want, it comes down to a lack of control. This is a TEAM-based game. Complaining about your teammate who you know on your basketball team is fine. Complaining about the new guy in a game of pick-up isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you HAVE to win, then get like-minded players together. If you don't put for the effort to do that then you deserve the ban you're going to get for ruining everyone's game.
    Think Sausage hit the nail on the head!

    Originally Posted by Jimwtfh
    what's the point of blaming someone if you lose a game? It's only your time being thrown out of the window, because, instead of trying to insult someone, you can, I don't know, just play? In fact, I believe if one blames another for his problems, chances are the blamer is not too good at what he's doing either. He probably just wants to make it look like he is good, but fails because of his partner(s).
    Maybe instead of having a fit these people could give guidance to their team-mates...to help them do better and encourage them - you know take a bit of control - don't go nuts with it as in bark orders (no one likes to be barked at) but take more of the SO role..."let's move location" "stick together, don't spread out too much" "vampires over by the bridge" "lets attack together - everyone on me" type of thing - and give pointers on a class if need be...I'm very happy to follow orders rather than listen to someone having a complete fit…

  10. #35
    Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    Maybe instead of having a fit these people could give guidance to their team-mates...to help them do better and encourage them - you know take a bit of control - don't go nuts with it as in bark orders (no one likes to be barked at) but take more of the SO role..."let's move location" "stick together, don't spread out too much" "vampires over by the bridge" "lets attack together - everyone on me" type of thing - and give pointers on a class if need be...I'm very happy to follow orders rather than listen to someone having a complete fit…
    Luckily, there are quite a few people out there who do exactly as you described - and it really helps, even to the point when losing team becomes a winner. I'm very grateful to those people and am trying to follow their example whenever possible.

  11. #36
    Well, a lot of good comments up and about. Some sound advice and interesting suggestions.

    I tend to agree most that there should be a "Lobby" created for people who are not as competitive but still enjoy Nosgoth as such. I particularly support creating a similar "Lobby" for pro/(more) competitive players who currently play together and most of the time "trash, smash and bash" PUGs galore...

    Such matches usually have a lot of leavers on the PUG team, so it ranges from 1-4 players where some stick it out and others change during the match. People on the PUG team get frustrated and blame each other for under-performing and use inappropriate language, making it all the more unpleasant than it needs to be, if at all.

    All these problems are more often than not a bi-product of poor matchmaking i.e. unbalanced teams. My experience is such with just under 200h on record. However, this phenomenon has apparently gained momentum since entering Closed Beta, which is understandable but still not desirable.

    Better matchmaking is coming, but I still strongly advocate separating (letting people choose among) the two factions among the players when looking for a match - one being the Competitive ("playing to win") and the other being the Casual ("playing for fun") players.

    Just my 2¢.
    Last edited by RazielOfNosgoth; 8th May 2014 at 11:37.
    signature image

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,719
    Originally Posted by RazielOfNosgoth
    I tend to agree most that there should be a "Lobby" created for people who are not as competitive but still enjoy Nosgoth as such. I particularly support creating a similar "Lobby" for pro/(more) competitive players who currently play together and most of the time "trash, smash and bash" PUGs galore...
    I very much LOVE this suggestion - it might alleviate some of the complete annihilation and stressful abusiveness from the competitive situation - and allow the more competitive people to play together – and allow them to achieve their goals and have matches that are more fun for them (e.g. closer wins/loses).

    I could see this not working so well at the moment with the limited number of testers slit between the sections but when the game reaches Open Beta and Live status then it could work well indeed

    I’d be so first in line to join the fun queue rather than the serious queue

    …I’m hoping though when a better match-making system comes in – at least we should be matched people who play at a similar level – so this too will hopefully alleviate some of the rage.

  13. #38
    Experience really needs separating from rank, since you can level up just by playing a lot and still not being that good. Something like average score (or more complicated) should be used for matching players.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,091
    It's impossible to actually put a quantitative value on "skill" in this game. It's too team-oriented. The only solid way I would expect it to happen is to have the profile statistics split within the game (hidden ofc) to "random queue" and 3 separate "group queues," 2-man, 3-man, and 4-man party stats. The appropriate statistics would be used then. a 2-man party would use those stats when queue (for each player), etc. Obv. more would have to be added later on if 5-man and 8-man teams are added, but that would be much later anyways.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    San Marcos, California, USA, North America, Earth
    Posts
    84
    Originally Posted by Vallass
    I can't even think of anything in real life that's equivalent to a 5-10 minute ban. Literally nothing.
    Clearly you've never been put on timeout as a kid

    I try to make as many jokes in-game as I can. Nothing meant toward other players, of course, but if I can get someone to laugh at something stupid or silly that I've said, the chances of them raging later on become that much smaller. I think. It's hard to test a theory like that.

    A League of Legends player made a video relative to the concept:
    (viewer discretion is advised xD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY

    But the bottom line of the video is that being strictly positive is MUCH better than strictly negative. If there's one person being really negative on a team, they can bring the whole team down. The converse is true, if there's one person being really friendly, funny, happy, and generally very positive, they can bring the whole team up. Or at least keep some of the negative remarks at bay.

    That's my two cents!
    Last edited by Viridian24; 13th May 2014 at 23:31. Reason: Spelling >_>
    signature image

  16. #41
    Originally Posted by Viridian24
    If there's one person being really negative on a team, they can bring the whole team down. The converse is true, if there's one person being really friendly, funny, happy, and generally very positive, they can bring the whole team up. Or at least keep some of the negative remarks at bay.

    That's my two cents!
    Well said! +1
    Last edited by Jimwtfh; 14th May 2014 at 11:18.
    "Katsu!"

  17. #42
    Originally Posted by Viridian24
    Clearly you've never been put on timeout as a kid

    I try to make as many jokes in-game as I can. Nothing meant toward other players, of course, but if I can get someone to laugh at something stupid or silly that I've said, the chances of them raging later on become that much smaller. I think. It's hard to test a theory like that.

    A League of Legends player made a video relative to the concept:
    (viewer discretion is advised xD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY

    But the bottom line of the video is that being strictly positive is MUCH better than strictly negative. If there's one person being really negative on a team, they can bring the whole team down. The converse is true, if there's one person being really friendly, funny, happy, and generally very positive, they can bring the whole team up. Or at least keep some of the negative remarks at bay.

    That's my two cents!
    Yes very well said
    signature image

  18. #43
    Originally Posted by VVZigel
    Ain't your name "Stranger" on Steam?


    Or wait... there is! Return to singleplayer games! Noone will be able to judge you there and nothing shall challange you.
    Because single player games are NEVER EVER CHALLENGING.

    Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    I very much LOVE this suggestion - it might alleviate some of the complete annihilation and stressful abusiveness from the competitive situation - and allow the more competitive people to play together – and allow them to achieve their goals and have matches that are more fun for them (e.g. closer wins/loses).

    I could see this not working so well at the moment with the limited number of testers slit between the sections but when the game reaches Open Beta and Live status then it could work well indeed

    I’d be so first in line to join the fun queue rather than the serious queue

    …I’m hoping though when a better match-making system comes in – at least we should be matched people who play at a similar level – so this too will hopefully alleviate some of the rage.
    Ehhhh but then you open the door for those super-pro pubstompers that singlehandedly wipe out entire teams. That was a huge problem in Super Monday Night Combat if I remember correctly.

  19. #44
    Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Experience really needs separating from rank, since you can level up just by playing a lot and still not being that good. Something like average score (or more complicated) should be used for matching players.
    This is so true. This is the thing I hate most about F2P ranked games, since I'm a semi-casual player. After a certain point, I would just create a new account because max rank meant playing against people who played competitively. (And for some reason, those were usually the most toxic players too.)

    I think a mandatory tutorial would fix a few of the "newbie" problems, but generally you just need game time to improve.
    A fun/competitive queue system would be great, but how do you keep pro players (trolls) out of the fun queue?

  20. #45
    Originally Posted by Azoren7
    This is so true. This is the thing I hate most about F2P ranked games, since I'm a semi-casual player. After a certain point, I would just create a new account because max rank meant playing against people who played competitively. (And for some reason, those were usually the most toxic players too.)

    I think a mandatory tutorial would fix a few of the "newbie" problems, but generally you just need game time to improve.
    A fun/competitive queue system would be great, but how do you keep pro players (trolls) out of the fun queue?
    are you saying pro players are trolls or pro players AND trolls
    signature image

  21. #46

    Why do people have to be so horrible?

    Now, I am not too young, I'm nearly 25 and I teach 16-19 year olds so I don't usually take things to heart but I am SICK of people being so nasty in this game.

    I play because I've been a fan of the franchise since I was 11 and I'm partial to nostalgia. I'm not that great but I don't suck that hard that I deserve to be called a scrub and trash and being told to uninstall the game and how I'm stupid for wasting money on it. Then when I say that I play for fun and that I'm trying to learn, I just get the same response back.

    Being a higher level does not entitle you to be a bully, being a higher level doesn't make you a better person and it certainly doesn't make you a better player just because there are people lower level than you in a team.

    Now I know this happens in EVERY game but perhaps because this is part of the LoK franchise, frankly (and foolishly) I expected better.

    So please, can everyone just have a bit of consideration in the way they treat and talk to others. It's not all about 'the score' at the end, it's the taking part. I'm usually the one that HELPS get your score. I might not have many kills but I ploughed through a group knocking them down making it easier for you to take your kills.

    /end rant

    sorry...

  22. #47
    i agree that people should play nice but i rarely run into this in nosgoth a few here and there. Im not saying you have thin skin but some ppl just cant take any criticism and think people are yelling at them, again not saying thats whats happening to you. What i dont get is why anyone cares what ppl they are never going to meet think of them. well i wont yell at you add me Sanguise on steam
    signature image

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,526
    If it makes you feel any better, the reverse happens to higher level players as well when they aren't playing as Gods of the Arena like everyone expects and are actually not doing as well as the lower level players because they are having an off day or are a bit rusty after being off it for a while.

    I have been playing since alpha and I am at level 40. I just seriously got back on after spending over a week getting into wild-star so I don't burn myself out on this and my first match back was with lower level players that expected me to hold their hand through the match. When I didn't and we lost considerably the team blamed me, then a number of players on the other team began to talk smack with them about me the rest of the time I played with those guys with it getting more and more vulgar the more time passed, which I had to sit through since it was either that or switch to EU were I lag insanely. This vulgar verbal abuse persisted until I got a team that didn't expect me to be a hulk and carry them because they were good enough to carry themselves. Then those other guys shut up the rest of the time they were there and left after they started losing.

    For background I am just months older than you and have loved the series since first saw it at age 12 with the PS1 demo pack that came with the console's purchase.

    It is never gonna stop friend, players are just as abundant as the rest of us, you just gotta grow tougher skin and roll with it til it turn back on the ones are that causing you such distress.
    Last edited by Xenonetix; 23rd Jul 2014 at 23:11.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lower Saxony, Germany
    Posts
    702
    Because some ppl are horribly bad, that's the way it is.
    Some kiddehs are nothing in real life and take their chance in the 'anonymous' internet to rage and bully other people.

    @Sang: Some People are more social than other people and take bullying seriously.
    Personally it makes me sad, too, that some people can't be nice, because that's why war and crime exists.
    Last edited by Varulven; 29th May 2014 at 20:54.
    signature image

  25. #50
    I started playing at Alpha (I think, I'm sure if was January sometime) but it was taking like, an hour to get a match so I haven't really played much until recently. I'm only level 14 so I still have the excuse of being a noob xD

    I play Aion, now, you need thick skin for that game so usually I wouldn't moan and groan. Or maybe I'm just an old woman that thinks people would have grown up by now haha.

    I only play an hour a day and I play with a lower level friend so usually we don't win any matches but it's ok, it's fun and no one can be an auto-god. I'm not used to PvP all that much like in this game. However I also just saw that the person that acted holier than thou was a twitch streamer and suddenly it all makes sense.
    Last edited by AnimaChrysalis; 29th May 2014 at 20:33.

Page 2 of 7 First First 123456 ... Last