Page 7 of 15 First First ... 34567891011 ... Last

Thread: Future PC Patches - Updates & General Discussion

Future PC Patches - Updates & General Discussion

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    Originally Posted by Driber
    Excuse me, but what "facts" are you talking about?

    And where are you getting these supposed "facts"?

    All you're doing is speculating. If it's a fact, then show me the statement where it says "EM encountered this stuttering problem during QA and we chose to ignore it and release it anyway".

    You can't, because contrary to what you are trying to make people believe with these kinds of posts, it is not a fact, but mere speculation on your behalf.
    The only time I used the word "fact" is when I said it's a fact that these issues had to be researched before the game was released, but all right. I see your point. I'm indeed speculating and should have probably put it that way.

    On the other hand, you know as well as I do that those speculations make perfect sense. I mean, what on earth could have happened between the testing of this game and the release, that have caused the current issues with the game? Some sort of divine intervention? The issues were present during playtesting, or something happened between that and the release of the game. And I find the latter highly unlikely.

    So yes, these are my wild speculations.

    Edit: Look, I don't want to come off as some sort of ass by whining about this, but I only buy a game or two every year. As a huge Deus Ex fan, I decided to get Human Revolution. I'm a college student with a VERY limited budget, so when I went and purchased this game for 50 Euros, only to find out that there's all these things wrong with it, I was/am disappointed, and I'm sure you can understand that. I've bought games before that had problems (let's take Fallout 3, for example), but never have I acquired a game with this many game-breaking problems upon release. Now I'm glad that the things that are wrong with this game are at least being worked on (the same can't be said for Bethesda, who just broke Fallout 3 even more with their patches), but I find it highly disappointing that all these game-breaking issues were there when I bought it. This thread made by Nixxes is too vague to be reassuring. I believe it's merely proper decorum to at least let us know what they're working on after three weeks.

  2. #152
    Originally Posted by ENBSeries
    LordWeasel
    There are tools for increasing fan speed, use them for your videocard, because it's really hot model and finally you'll get it dead (as gf7800 or 8800 series). There are a lot of peoples with problems like you have and it's not because of something bad in game (any game may cause this). As temporary fix, turn on vertical sync in game options and turn off tripple buffering.
    Increasing fan speed is not a good solution for me I'm afraid. The card doesn't spin up to over 3000rpm by itself before it's over 90°C. Once it hits 3500rpm and above, the noise is unbearable :P. At 95°C (peak Furmark) it spins at 5200rpm and sounds like a jet engine, hehe.

    vSync is also out of the question by itself, simply because of mouselag making the game unplayable.

    Best solution I've found so far is capping framerate at 58 with Dxtory. This way I can play at 84°C stable, which is a perfectly fine operating temperature for a GTX480. (Then I can even use vSync without mouselag, as no frames are waiting in the cards back buffer.)

    My whole point was that nothing except Furmark has ever pushed my card above 90°C. If any game did, trust me, I would hear it . Anyway, I'll leave this topic for the time being, as there doesn't seem to be a any point for me to go on and on about it.
    GA-X48-DQ6 - Q9550@3.2GHz - Dominator DDR2 1066MHz 8GB - eVGA GTX480 SC
    Velociraptor 10kRPM HD - X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro - W7U 64bit

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Blackfriars
    Posts
    3,885
    Originally Posted by MrBubbles
    Eidos if you can release a patch before my birthday (Sept 16th) you will be my hero. I also share first name with your director, Jean-François Dugas, so think of it as a present for both of us.

    The load times fix was fantastic but I'm about midway through the 2nd plathrough, the stuttering decreases less in non city hubs but it's still annoying when it creeps up. !!!!
    When i saw about you sharing name with the `director` i first thought, we dont have a director called mrbubbles

    So its your birthday on Friday? okie *writes it down*
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

  4. #154
    LordWeasel
    >vSync is also out of the question by itself, simply because of mouselag making the game unplayable
    Is that another kind of game "bug"? This shouldn't be. Anyway, i warn you, be very careful with videocard, i know a lot of peoples having it dead because of overheating.

  5. #155
    LordWeasel
    Well 480gtx's are the closest thing to a home nuclear fusion.....Load Crysis and the card will probably melt itself! Heheh..

  6. #156
    Actually the best solution is buy a liquid colling element(They are sold over ebay for around @100) and a thermaltake pump/water tank and a preferably triple radiator.It will set you back another $200-$250 but the temperatures will not rise above 40 degrees .(A cheaper double radiator can be found for even $50 and a pump is around $100 but it will not lower the heat significally.)

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Originally Posted by Vitz
    On the other hand, you know as well as I do that those speculations make perfect sense.
    LOL, there ya go, assuming again. This time about what I supposedly "know"

    No, to me those speculations don't make perfect sense, actually. Maybe it's because I happen to know a bit more about QA than you, but I don't buy the whole "it was present during playtesting, but they ignored it" theory.

    So far, I haven't seen any evidence of the "bug" actually being "widespread", as some people seem to be claiming. 270 people voted "yes" in the stuttering poll. I realize that not everyone who experienced it, voted, so lets assume that in the worse case, half of the people bothered to actually vote. That would mean 540 people. Steam reports a record of 60k simultaneous PC players, and another website states 2 million copies of DX3 were shipped, so I'd say a minimum PC sales number of 100k would be a safe bet.

    540 out of 100.000 is 0,54%.

    So if just half of a percent of PC players experience the bug, I'd say it's very, VERY plausible that the devs did in fact not experience the bug during Quality Assurance.

    Originally Posted by Vitz
    I'm a college student with a VERY limited budget, so when I went and purchased this game for 50 Euros, only to find out that there's all these things wrong with it, I was/am disappointed, and I'm sure you can understand that.
    Oh I do, honestly. My point about facts vs. speculations doesn't subtract from my sympathies for those who do experience the heavy stuttering that is causing the game to be unplayable for them

    Originally Posted by Vitz
    the same can't be said for Bethesda, who just broke Fallout 3 even more with their patches
    I'm sure you can appreciate that the devs take the time to work on a patch which hopefully doesn't do just that

    Originally Posted by Vitz
    I believe it's merely proper decorum to at least let us know what they're working on after three weeks.
    Yes, it would be nice, but I hope you'll understand that it would be very risky to do so. If devs give people "promises" and "deadlines", but in the end can't deliver (which happens), some end up being even more angry with them.

    Trust me, I've seen this happen before. Some forum members were putting a lot of pressure onto certain devs to give them an update on a game patch. In the end the devs said "we think the patch will be finished in 1 week". They couldn't make the deadline and forum members got even more angry.

    So I understand that they cannot reveal anything until it's for 100% sure, though I certainly feel your frustration.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    I realise it may not be possible for you to do this, but can you at least confirm that both the stuttering in DX9 and the crashes in DX11 are both being looked at?

    If not, then I needn't waste my time checking forums for fixes.

  9. #159
    What about yellow lines running around in the shadows when aniso x16 is enabled?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    Originally Posted by Glasofruix
    What about yellow lines running around in the shadows when aniso x16 is enabled?
    If you're using AMD/ATI, try this:
    Disable AF in DeusEx and force 16xAF through the CCC.

    Solved the issue for me and might work for nvidia as well (if there's a similar setting).

  11. #161
    Originally Posted by ENBSeries
    LordWeasel
    >vSync is also out of the question by itself, simply because of mouselag making the game unplayable
    Is that another kind of game "bug"? This shouldn't be. Anyway, i warn you, be very careful with videocard, i know a lot of peoples having it dead because of overheating.
    Nah, vSync always causes mouselag if your framerate is above the limit imposed by your monitors refresh rate. This is simply because the frame is "waiting" for its turn to be displayed in the back buffer of the video card. Limiting the framerate to 1 or 2 frames below your monitors refresh rate removes this issue.

    Thanks for your concern about my card, but as long as it's not kept running much above 90°C for extended periods of time it's perfectly fine. Around 85°C is pretty much normal operating temperatures at load for a GTX480. I've even heard of GTX480's operating artifact free at above 100°C. They are amazingly hot, and heat resistant cards :P
    GA-X48-DQ6 - Q9550@3.2GHz - Dominator DDR2 1066MHz 8GB - eVGA GTX480 SC
    Velociraptor 10kRPM HD - X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro - W7U 64bit

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    A small request from my side:

    Please remove used-up consumables from the quick selection bar instead of having them turn red

    Let's say there are three or four different bottles of booze in the room, and I want to become a very healthy alcoholic. Since everybody is usually short on inventory space and quick slots, I have only one of each. That obviously leads to a clickfest, where straining my (hopefully) augmented liver requires me to enter the inventory multiple times (unless I want to end up with having my free quick slot blocked by some useless red icon).

    Imagine how much more comfortable getting drunk could be without that red icons: Let's say my free slot is number 6, so I just walk up to the whiskey, take it by pressing "e", then consume it by pressing "6", done. Wow, that was comfortable! And guess what, you could do just the same with the wine and the wodka, because slot number 6 would be free and ready for the next use after each drink!

  13. #163
    Originally Posted by Driber
    So far, I haven't seen any evidence of the "bug" actually being "widespread", as some people seem to be claiming. 270 people voted "yes" in the stuttering poll. I realize that not everyone who experienced it, voted, so lets assume that in the worse case, half of the people bothered to actually vote. That would mean 540 people. Steam reports a record of 60k simultaneous PC players, and another website states 2 million copies of DX3 were shipped, so I'd say a minimum PC sales number of 100k would be a safe bet.

    540 out of 100.000 is 0,54%.

    So if just half of a percent of PC players experience the bug, I'd say it's very, VERY plausible that the devs did in fact not experience the bug during Quality Assurance.
    Driber,

    I appreciate you and Jay posting to confirm that the problem is known and a patch of some sort is in the works. I don't want to get into into the argument of whether this slipped through play testing or not. But your statements regarding and analyzing the stuttering poll data are completely wrong.

    A poll is meant to give an approximate result based on a sample survey. As of now only 327 people have participated in this survey. Of those 327 people 271 (82%) are experiencing this "bug". Based on this information we are to assume that this is more of a widespread issue. Even though there are factors which have to be taken into account when analyzing poll data such as bias, misinterpretation, sample size, and so on; this data will yield results that reflect the entire user base to an approximation. In short roughly 80% of users who have played or will play Deus Ex HR on PC will experience this stuttering.

    To say that less that 0.5% of the PC user base are experiencing this problem is absurd. In order for that statement to have any truth, all 100,000 of your estimated buyers would have to had to taken part in a pole. Instead results from our poll (with a relatively small sample size) were taken, multiplied by 2, and compared to an estimated user base (which by comparison is very large). This was all based around assumptions and misinformation. It doesn't make any sense and its all a bit silly (yeah we're all going a little coo coo around here).

    Now you also state you haven't seen any evidence of this issue being as widespread as we claim. Are the poll results being excluded? What about all the long threads here, on steam, and various other forums? Many of us (myself included) have installed and tested HR on multiple systems with different hardware configurations, and the results are all the same. The problem still persists. I believe the percentage rate of people affected the stutter bug (~80% ) to be fairly accurate. Of the 4 systems I have personally tested on, all 4 stutter in the exact same manner. All this is evidence enough for me at least.

    This is just my 2 cents, I don't mean to come across as an a** or start any trouble. A lot of us are big fans of the game and appreciate the work put into it. We register here to discuss the game and post our concerns. We want to continue to support and spread the word of Deus Ex HR.

  14. #164
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with Solarfields

    The very notion that this is anything other than a widespread issue is laughable at this point. Not only have people tested the problem on multiple systems with multiple drivers, multiple windows and DirectX versions...but personally, I know of at least two friends on my Steam list who have experienced the same problem, but who have not visited these forums due to simple apathy.

    In addition, the likes of ENBSeries and co have demonstrated that the stuttering may be reduced not by tweaking an individual PC configuration...but by tweaking the way the game caches data.

    The game is broken. And, having played a bit more of it thanks to ENB, I can safely say that the stuttering is not the only area in which the game needs some work.

    Despite its release date having been pushed back from earlier this year, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, on PC at least, should not have been given a clean bill of health by the QA people.

    Somebody dropped the ball, as they say. We can only hope they pick it up before weeks become a month.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    Hi jaycw2309 (or other Eidos customer reps)

    Could you please confirm that the tram bug is going to be fixed in the upcoming patch?

    The bug is described here - http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120628 and on the steam forums here - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2088059

    Some of us have tried coming back from a previous save and that hasn't worked. The bug makes it literally impossible to continue playing the game because we cannot advance. Have you been able to replicate this bug and if so, would it be patched up soon enough?

    Thank you.

  16. #166
    Posted in incorrect thread.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    @SolarFields, the poll percentage is not an accurate representation of how many people experience the "bug".

    As I stated before, the poll is mainly for counting how many people experience it and getting to know their specs. Forget about the percentage, because the vast majority of that 80% came from outside where they were told "vote at the Eidos forums if you have the bug". Only those outside people who actually experience the bug would've see that message, leaving out 99% of the players who do not experience it.

    From the info I received, 0.5% really looks like a fair assessment.

  18. #168
    Originally Posted by Driber
    @SolarFields, the poll percentage is not an accurate representation of how many people experience the "bug".

    As I stated before, the poll is mainly for counting how many people experience it and getting to know their specs. Forget about the percentage, because the vast majority of that 80% came from outside where they were told "vote at the Eidos forums if you have the bug". Only those outside people who actually experience the bug would've see that message, leaving out 99% of the players who do not experience it.

    From the info I received, 0.5% really looks like a fair assessment.
    I think it's still wrong.

    There are many people who don't care to register on a forum or vote in a poll because of apathy, lazyness or not knowing how to contact fellow players and the game developers (representatives).

    And there are tonnes of players that are blind enough to not notice the stuttering. You know, the kind of people who don't see the difference between 60 and 23 fps.

    I believe that the issue is very widespread and that most, if not all, players have the same issue. For a poll to give a good result, a STEAM notice should pop up and ask to vote in a poll. How many people would visit the Eidos forums by themselves?

    That being said, I do appreciate the dev team aknowledging the issue and working on it. I have experienced worse support -- for example "From Dust". /edit: 'worse' is bad wording here, I meant 'bad'.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Blackfriars
    Posts
    3,885
    That is the whole problem with statistics, they can be read whichever the `viewer` wants.. if you want to find a negative angle to it you can find it.. The simple fact is that we wanted to gauge a number of users, the fact it gives a % is just because VB polls will give a poll if you give 2 responses (can you get a poll with 1 answer? never tried). Its a shame there was an active campaign to `skew` the stats by people signing up JUST to vote yes, regardless if they even had the game or had the issue.. thats the internet for you tho if you look at sites like metacritic you see user reviews of 0 or 10, no one really gives a `balanced` review as its not seen as worth it, so going for the polarised (its perfect or simple horrendous) option is the norm.
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    I didn't see that poll advertised anywhere outside of these forums. Where was it mentioned?

    Oh and I didn't add my vote either. An interesting and valid point is that for every one person who made the effort to come here and vote, how many didn't?

    In fact I can't even find the stuttering poll thread now, which part of the forum is it in?

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Blackfriars
    Posts
    3,885
    Originally Posted by leveller
    I didn't see that poll advertised anywhere outside of these forums. Where was it mentioned?

    Oh and I didn't add my vote either. An interesting and valid point is that for every one person who made the effort to come here and vote, how many didn't?

    In fact I can't even find the stuttering poll thread now, which part of the forum is it in?
    Hence why we're not taking the `numbers/%` but more the info posted about specs and any other helpful information given.. As i said if people WANT to see something in stats they will.. i mean 90% of stats are made up on the spot 55% of people know that
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    You didn't answer 100% of my questions. Fact

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Blackfriars
    Posts
    3,885
    Originally Posted by leveller
    You didn't answer 100% of my questions. Fact
    search and ye shall find
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    i mean 90% of stats are made up on the spot 55% of people know that
    lol, J. u bad!

    Originally Posted by jelbo
    And there are tonnes of players that are blind enough to not notice the stuttering. You know, the kind of people who don't see the difference between 60 and 23 fps.
    If a person is "blind enough not to notice" any problem, then that just means there is none! Or am I the only one who sees that logic? lol

    The stuttering issue is a game breaking "bug" which prevents users from playing the game; the game is actually freezing momentarily. Many people confused this with a mere low framerate issue and still voted YES in the poll.

    Originally Posted by jelbo
    How many people would visit the Eidos forums by themselves?
    Tens of thousands, if the problem is as widespread as some people claim.

    Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    can you get a poll with 1 answer? never tried
    Nope, a 2 voting option minimum required to run a poll.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Blackfriars
    Posts
    3,885
    Originally Posted by Driber

    Nope, a 2 voting option minimum required to run a poll.
    mores the pity.. but oh well we're getting the `information` which is the most helpful bit.. some users have really gone out of way to help us track down the cause/root of the reported issues (not just stuttering etc) and we're very grateful to them, and hopefully very soon everyone can benefit from this.
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Page 7 of 15 First First ... 34567891011 ... Last