Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last

Thread: BOSS FIGHTS - All Discussion - plus 4 Boss Fight Methods Hints & Tips *Spoilers*

BOSS FIGHTS - All Discussion - plus 4 Boss Fight Methods Hints & Tips *Spoilers*

BOSS FIGHTS - All Discussion - plus 4 Boss Fight Methods Hints & Tips *Spoilers*

I just thought I'd share my personal experience with those having any problems with the 4 bosses in the game.

Difficulty - * * * * * -

Barret Lawrence - * * -
    - Throwing the barrels and some grenades did the trick, just took a couple of tries to get it done fast enough so he didn't regain his footing. Not much to say as this fight is so straight forward, just a few trial and error runs to get it right.

Yelena Fedorova - * * * * * -
    - First, I did NOT have emp shield aug, so having her hit those power whatevers was not an option as it killed me quickly. What I found worked for me was a large supply of all types of mines, while sticking to the outside portion of the room, and throwing mines in the middle, far enough in I wouldn't activate it myself but not too far as to have her partially behind a wall activating it. Whenever she hit a claymore (especially EMP/Concussion), I would blast her with the heavy rifle (although revolver and pistol work equally fine). Main problem with her is her melee, when it hits, it hits hard, and there is all you can do about it.

Jaron Namir - * * * * -
    Definitely NOT as hard as Fedorova, at this point I did have the EMP shield, and the gas shield aug would've been nice but it didn't really affect any of my attempts. Again for this fight I found claymores and grenades to be exceptionally useful, especially EMP grenades, which removed him from stealth for a very substantial period of time. Aside from that, same tactics as Yelena, just stick to the outer ring of the room, and throw the claymores at the entrances to the inner circle.
    Side note - Seeing Namir as a unique model in the background cutscene with Zhao was nice. Something I didn't notice my first attempt.

Zhao - * -
    Honestly, after 2 ridiculously difficult bosses, this one was a joke. Easily avoiding the rotating turrets, killing 2 "zombies", then quickly rushing in and de-syncing those pods (or whatever you had to do to them) Then just using a couple EMP grenades on bots as they came out while firing at Zhao. A really phase-intensive fight, but so simple, quick and EASY, it was really a joke. In fact I spent time on the last phase wondering if I had to shoot Zhao or I just had to keep destroying bots for the next phase, after just a few quick bursts to Zhao I found my answer.

To add a little something unrelated to boss-strategies, it was very satisfying killing the remaining members of Tyrant, after reading the novel. I felt that justice had somewhat been served for the two main characters (although it would've been even better if they had been there/done it themselves, and get the novel if you haven't read it, it's a good in-depth read)

__

*Moderator Updates*

Originally Posted by duran_ii
    Hey guys, new forum member here. I was reading through the boss fight guides, and honestly, a lot of them are just unnecessarily complicated.

Here is the easiest way to defeat the bosses (killed them without dying at all on Give me Deus Ex mode):

Barrett: Hump the pillars and get head shots with your combat rifle. He goes down amazingly fast when you pump his head full of lead. When he turns to the corner to come around to your pillar, sprint to the other side of the room and repeat. You can also just spam your rocket launcher and kill him that way too.

Federova: This fight is a joke. As soon as she charges at you in the beginning, dodge to the left and keep firing your rocket launcher at her. You effectively stun lock her and win easy. She never hit me once and I killed her in 10 seconds. Make sure you upgrade your rocket launcher with reload speed upgrades (honestly, you only need it for the rocket launcher)

Namir: Two words: Rocket Launcher. As soon as the fight begins, shoot him with a rocket. On Deus Ex mode, he recovers too fast to spam it. Once you stun him with the launcher, sprint up to him and do 2 Typhoons and he's toast. Easy fight. After the first Typhoon, immediately do the second one. He'll be too busy firing at you to move away from it. If your augs are disabled, just keep shooting him with the rocket launcher.

Zhao: Total joke. Grab some cover, and destroy the turrets as soon as they start rotating around. Ideally you want to destroy each turret before it turns to face you. Once done, disable the pods. Afterwards, run to the top platform. You'll notice there are walls separating each section of the room. Jump on top of the wall so that you're not touching the floor. Jump on a wall that'll allow you to face Zhao. The electricity won't even touch you, nor will the bots or zombies even notice you. Eventually, the glass will open and you can roast her. Otherwise, just shoot your laser rifle at her.

Hope this helps. The rocket launcher is your friend.
    Originally Posted by nomotog
    So we all know eidos outsourced the PC version. Well it turns out that they also outsourced the boss fights. Seems odd to me, but what do I know. Just watch the video.

Linky
    Originally Posted by itsonyourhead
    "If you panic, you are going to die."

I think the boss fights were okay. They could have done with a lot more tweaking though. I would have liked to see some sort of strategy necessary to beat them.

1. Combat - You need to stun them first before you can hurt them (weapons or CQC) Explosives will re-position them (not stun them), so that you can't just keep hitting them with explosives while they stand in one spot.
    2. Stealth - If you can sneak up behind the boss you get to use a certain number of CQC to take them down. Also, sneaking up on a boss means you don't need to stun them before you can hurt them.
    3. Hacking - You can hack certain consoles to have robots/turrets help you. If you sneak up/stun them you can hack their brains to shut off certain of their augments/abilities. Keep hacking their brains eventually you shut them off completely.
    4. Social - You can talk them down into weakness throughout the battle-- (or if you are really really good, get them to stand aside). Basically a terrible cyberpunk version of Hannibal Lector -- (would require you to hack/find their psych profile or other information on them) CASIE aug would help you during the battle

In fact, they could split the CASIE aug up into several different upgrades. Pheromones -- psych evals (generated throughout conversation, not all at once) -- emotional levels -- mental stability

Barret-Run around the room, toss gas barrels, followed by explosive barrels. Frag and EMP grenades work well too.

Yelena-Run around on the outer ring until she sees you, then make her follow you to one of the 4 nodes on the wall. Wait until she gets close enough to you and the node to do her melee attack, and then run away. Do this 4 times, and if she's not dead, a few more shots from any gun will finish her.

Namir-Go to the corners, and get in cover, watching your left and right. When you see Namir either walk around the corner, or jump over the wall, shoot him a few times, and then run to a different corner of the room and wait. Remember, if you go back to the LIMB clinic in China, this fight will be harder since you won't have your augs, and HUD would is messed up.

Zhao-Either hack the computers on the desk across from each of the 3 pods, or press the button next to the pods to open them, and open fire at the woman inside. Do this 3 times, and electricity will start to cover large sections of the room. Try and keep moving and find a safe spot to stand, like on top of the security desk. Eventually robots will come out, one by one, to take you out. Toss one EMP nade their way, and after you kill 3 of them the fight will end in a few seconds.

Once you stop and think, all the fights were quite easy. Also, the Typhoon makes fights really easy, since it takes 2-4 uses to kill each boss.

The hardest boss for me was Barret mostly because I did not expect him to toss 3 grenades for every 1 I threw at him. In the end I shot 2 rockets at him and sprayed a bit of AR fire at him.

Fedorova was the easiest. I had the mini-gun and just stood and shot her. Half way through she cloaked and it took me a bit to find her (did not have vision upgraded). Once I found her a typhoon and a bit of AR finished her off.

Namir was the same as Fedorova only easier because I had the vision upgrade and could see his cloak.

Zhao was more confusing then anything. I spent half my AR ammo trying to kill the turrets. Then I got the pods open and did not know if I had to kill the girls or save them some how. I also spent a good 5 min standing around next to Zhao wondering if I shoot her or wait for the overload to happen.

The boss fights were underwhelming. The challenge was in the minion fights leading up to them. I was playing on normal (aka "Give me a challenge"), maybe hard will be harder.

Also, the boses them selves were not characterized as much as they should have been (with the exception of Zhao). If not for reading the book I would have just thought of the Tyrants as just random bad-asses. Hell, were they Tyrants ever referred to as such in the game? I remember hearing random soldiers shout out "TYRANTS!" but that was it.

Also, what did Namir mean after you kill him. About "people like us, we never get back the ones we love". Did I miss something in the book?

Boss 1-4:
    Spam Typhoon

Originally Posted by Ifandbut
    Also, the boses them selves were not characterized as much as they should have been (with the exception of Zhao). If not for reading the book I would have just thought of the Tyrants as just random bad-asses. Hell, were they Tyrants ever referred to as such in the game? I remember hearing random soldiers shout out "TYRANTS!" but that was it.
    This!! I haven't read the book (didn't want to spoil the game at all) and I thought they were just some really bad-ass mercenaries who were working with very powerful people, thus able to afford all their augs and thus part of their schemes.

Originally Posted by NKD
    Boss 1-4:
    Spam Typhoon
    Thanks for the tip. I'll upgrade it once I start my hard playthrough.

Anyone on here defeated Barrett on the hardest difficulty? If so, how did you do it?

I'm on the Barrett level now. I'm hoping my EMPs, frags and pre-order shotgun and will do the trick.

Originally Posted by KingLeonShepard
    Anyone on here defeated Barrett on the hardest difficulty? If so, how did you do it?

I'm on the Barrett level now. I'm hoping my EMPs, frags and pre-order shotgun and will do the trick.
    Spam Typhoon on him a couple of times. If you don't have it, then stun him with an EMP right away, then go around the room counter-clockwise starting with the explosive barrel to your right and throw every object in that place at him. Explosive barrels, fire extinguishers, gas canisters, whatever. He should be staggered almost the entire time if you're quick about grabbing items and throwing them at him.

Yelena Fedorova Boss Fight

I had no idea Yelena could run into those electric terminals, I defeated her in a completely different and found her not challenging at all, she never even touched me once.

I had a stun gun and a 10mm pistol. Basically I stood still with the stun gun ready in hand. When she appears (uncloaks) I hit her with the stun gun, she takes a few secs to recover, in that time I land a few pistol head-shots until she recovers and cloaks again. Rinse and repeat until she goes down.

It was the easiest boss fight by far and I was expecting a hard one especially after Barrett!

Namir was definitely the hardest since I had no augs at all and the crosshairs were flickering all over the place.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Daedatheus
    This!! I haven't read the book (didn't want to spoil the game at all) and I thought they were just some really bad-ass mercenaries who were working with very powerful people, thus able to afford all their augs and thus part of their schemes.
    It was well worth reading the book before playing the game. It gave a lot of background on the world. It mostly took place in the time around the first attack on Sarif.

Originally Posted by NKD
    Boss 1-4:
    Spam Typhoon
    Same, anyone that hates the boss fights should do this. The worst one for me was Yelena. I had not used the Typhoon yet. But afterwards I upgraded it to full and prepared for the Namir fight. As soon as it started I triggered the Typhoon two times in a row and the fight was over. I was satisfied.

I guess this wouldn't work if you got the updated biochip since apparently the augs are turned off. After watching the news and seeing it was a TYM biochip there was no way in hell I was getting it.

Originally Posted by Krelokk
    Same, anyone that hates the boss fights should do this. The worst one for me was Yelena. I had not used the Typhoon yet. But afterwards I upgraded it to full and prepared for the Namir fight. As soon as it started I triggered the Typhoon two times in a row and the fight was over. I was satisfied.

I guess this wouldn't work if you got the updated biochip since apparently the augs are turned off. After watching the news and seeing it was a TYM biochip there was no way in hell I was getting it.
    I, on the other hand, saw the emails in TYM about the chip, and decided to tempt fate and see what the game would throw at me.

I was a bit disappointed I only had to do one boss fight without augs, I was expecting MGS4 Microwave tunnel.

Well is it just me or was Zhao the easiest bosfight by far?

"look at me, i'm protected by bullet and explosive proof transparant glass"

If playing Portal2 taught me anything, it would be that you can fire lasers through glass windows, so there i went:

"IMA FIRING MA LAZOR"

srsly, i could kill her without even purging one pod or lowering the shield!

Originally Posted by MissStabby
    Well is it just me or was Zhao the easiest bosfight by far?

"look at me, i'm protected by bullet and explosive proof transparant glass"

If playing Portal2 taught me anything, it would be that you can fire lasers through glass windows, so there i went:

"IMA FIRING MA LAZOR"

srsly, i could kill her without even purging one pod or lowering the shield!

HAHAH, I did the exact same thing on my first play through. I first tossed a random EMP from the starting cover and one of the pods closed. I didn't want to expose myself, but after seeing her just standing there I whipped out my laser and went to town. The fight was over in about 10 seconds, if even that. I laughed a little.

Barrett: Used 2 Typhoons and plenty of armor piercing 10mm shots, all the while constantly dodging like crazy from his gunfire and grenades (didn't know about the side rooms until after the fight).

Yelena: Hardest fight for me, used 2 Typhoons and LOTS of magnum shots to finally put her down, all the while running like a little girl with cloaking when she ran at me with her claymore attack (I typhooned her when I could the first 2 times to stop her getting a hit on me). Definitely took me a while to figure out that no matter where I stood or did, shooting the electical hubs was bad mojo for me. If you have EMP shielding, does it really prevent you from getting shocked? Thought it was protection from EMP grenades only...?

Jaron: Easiest boss fight in the game for me as I picked up the grenade launcher from my Gamestop DLC pack. Shot 4-5 times at beginning of fight, defeated within 5 seconds. Was really looking forward to an epic fight with the guy, be he never stood a chance with that 'nade launcher. =P

Zhao: Again, the grenade launcher made it too easy for this one. One-shotted the 3 turrets, hacked the terminal with an unlocking device, then blasted away at the glass shield. Had to hop up on a ledge to avoid the electrical floors, but easy as pie.

I think on my next run through on I'll be avoiding the grenade launcher as it's basically a "WIN" button. =P

Hardest setting strats. (several deaths before figuring these out)

Barrett: Move to left room from start, toss concussion nade, move all the way straight up and then to right most room, toss red barrel at Barrett (still looking for you down at other room, make sure you hit him squarely) toss, it dazes him, grab two poison gas bottles, toss, one right after the other, Barret dead in 30 seconds, do happy dance.

Mantis
    Use the anti zap aug for this to work, otherwise your doing the nade mine toss strat some have pointed out, personally i dont carry any nades or mines except for a frag or two. take your heavy rifle, what?! you dont have a heavy rifle? Get one. Anyway take the heavy and equip it, stand by the power station, watch for her or for the computer to warn you and destroy the powerstation, she gets fried, you unload on her while she is cooking, repeat for the last two stations, by the last station she will drop, besides, watching her cook is great. you can also do this with the stun gun and any other high damage wep to blow the stations, time your stun just before she goes to light you up. Note, this is the only hard boss fight in the whole game, regardless of difficulty.

Zhoa's attack dog. Talion.
    (hope you didnt get that new biochip lol, her reaction is priceless)
    Simply take your plasma rifle or laser rifle, you should have plenty of ammo and a damage upgrade or two if you explored at all, for those that didnt, your suckin. Go to a corner, have laser rifle equipped, he approaches and tosses two nades and mixes a plasma shot or two in his attacks, Note there is a plasma rifle on the ground on the straighaway in the far corner away from your initial attack. Anyway have the laser rifle up and ready, he appears, you lay into him for a couple seconds of burning red light, and then sprint out to the next corner, note, i was damaged a few times, but simply kep to the corners till full health and then repeated the laser burn. I went around almost two full times and he finally dropped, i tried the plasma rifle but i ran out of green goo., note, this is NOT the pedds wep.

Last fight.
    Primary weps, laser and plasma. kill the three turrets or put them offline using hacking, kill the bots as they come out after you reset the safety purge switch, the AI is stupid in this game and the bots do not pursue after losing los, kill the three crazies as they come out (4 waves), then go smoke zhoa, i took little damage. Rooms the crazies come out of have ammo. Having the anti zap aug makes the fight easy, for a more sadistic challenge, use regular weps and no anti zap aug.

implode Panchea, Kill yourself, take everyone with you, enjoy, game over.

Wait so there were bots and you had to kill the clones in the Zhao fight?

When i did it all I did was kill 2 turrets then i shot Zhao with my lazer for like 2 seconds and the fight was over.

I was totally confused at first, i was like wtf is the point of these buttons? Oh well lazer h4x.

(Hardest difficulty btw, but i'm pretty sure that all difficulty changes is how much dmg you take. Cause everyone was still dying to 1 shot to the head on the hardest difficulty)

But all and all, the boss fights were very underwhelming, took little to no strategy each time I killed them. You could actually use the "Tag" aug to always know where the 2 stealth bosses were, for playing it on the hardest difficulty the boss fights were a joke. The most interesting fights in the game to me were when the guys raided the penthouse (As soon as they entered, I ran up, flashbanged them all, then knocked every single one of em out in melee combat before they could recover) and the save Malik fight. (same thing, except a lot more running around, and 1 EMP grenade for the bot)

Actually Jaron Namir is the easiest boss fight in the game. What you need is the strength augment levelled to be able to carry turrets, and good hacking skills. In the singapore facility there is a turrent in the middle of the road, and behind it it's computer. Hack the computer and set the turret to shoot enemies, and carry it into the elevator with you when you go into the inner sanctum. You can even drop the turret near enemies to have them kill them for you. Anyway, you can drag the turret all the way into the boss room. Put the turret in a good spot, and as soon as he decloaks in front of it it will mow him down in seconds.

Barret - run in a zap him with stun gun. wash/rinse/repeat
    Yelena - when she decloaks, zap her with stun gun, wash/rinse/repeat

not upto the last boss yet, but i'm assume it'd be the same :P
    not that hard really so far.

For the last boss you can disable the turrets through a code found in-game, you don't even need to hack them or de-activate them individually

Originally Posted by Pete278
    I, on the other hand, saw the emails in TYM about the chip, and decided to tempt fate and see what the game would throw at me.
    Yep same here. Made that boss fight very frustrating for me (not to mention giving me a headache with all the flickering colours). Eventually I had to lower the difficulty to easy to get him, and even then it took me a few tries. I didn't have any heavy firepower weapons either, and very few grenades. I did notice that you could see his outline through the middle translucent barrier, even when he was cloaked, so I'd let him jump over the middle barrier, zot him with the stun gun and take a few shots at him with the combat rifle, then run around to the other side of the barrier, over and over... annoying as hell and uninteresting. The only bad part of the game for me. In fact the game could have done without the 3 mini boss fights entirely (or given some way to get around them, like the kill phrases in DX1), and the final "boss" was a little anti-climactic.

Not a pro by any means, but the boss fights didn't seem that hard. The first two bosses I had absolutely no armor protection, mainly invested in hacking augs. To go over some strats I haven't seen:

Barret Lawrence:
    I killed this guy mainly using my combat rifle. Was pretty easy, the key for me was to pillar-hump =P When you're low on health, just keep hugging the pillar, going around the sides by holding down the spacebar. Even if he throws a grenade it'll bounce off the pillar and blow up in front of him. Drill his head with lead.

Yelena Fedorova:
    I haven't seen anybody post this, but when she's going in for a charging attack, I sprint *towards* her =P Well sprint towards her and slightly to the left or right. She passes right by me, does her EMP attack that misses. I turn around and blast her with my heavy rifle. I found the heavy rifle to be really effective on boss fights overall.

Jaron Namir:
    This guy was a joke. Actually, I kinda exploited his AI. Put your back against a corner, wait for him to pop up. The best thing to do is have him firing his plasma rifle from the opposite end of the corridor. For some reason, he just kept firing (plasma rifle's not very accurate from afar), while my heavy rifle was drilling into his head. He died pretty quick that way.

Zhao:
    Take out turrets, hacked terminals using nukes. EMP grenade the robots. At first I didn't know to shoot the glass. Then I took out my trusty heavy rifle again to blast the glass and kill her.

I found it ironic that I used the heavy rifle the most for the boss fights, because during the game I was all non-lethal stealth. Then come the boss battles and I pick just about the most unstealth weapon you can get, hah. Tells you something about these boss battles...

Barret: Stun gun to paralyze him, throw explosives at his feet (The remote kind or regular. Whatever you can get really)

Yelena: Stun Gun to paralyze him, throw explosives at his feet (The remove kind or regular)

Jaron: Stun Gun at the start because you can, explosives in the middle of the side corridors and "lure" him into the explosives till he dies.

Zhao: You know those auto-hack things? Yeah. Then duck out of cover and shoot the tranquilizer gun and shoot those white things twice.
    What is your opinion on plastic surgery? Women with breast implants?
    Now, apply those opinions to augmentation for they are the same.

Barrett: just take cover, throw a concussion grenade and then some proximity mines in front of him. He walks to you, BOOM. He walks again, BOOM. Again, BOOM. Dead.

2nd -boss- fight.

This doesn't count those 2 'things' in the Hangar. (Trying to avoid spoilers).

Anyways, I can't beat this 2nd boss. The one you fight in the circular arena (again, trying to avoid spoilers). The boss is just too fast and too powerful and I can't beat it no matter what I do. This is like my 16th time doing it, any tips?

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last