Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: Poll: energy cells, (how) should they be fixed?

Poll: energy cells, (how) should they be fixed?

Poll: energy cells, (how) should they be fixed?

I set up a poll on the topic.

At present, only the first cell will ever regenerate, and takedowns consume one cell. Some people do not like this. Vote if you think it should be changed. (Micropoll because for some reason the forum doesn't let me start native polls)

Please answer assuming arbitrary upgrades in energy management. For instance, if you want "upgradeable to regenerate fully", vote "regenerate fully".

Please keep comments here, not on the poll.

Thanks for your time.

Upgrade your regeneration twice and the fact that you have only one cell won't matter.
    The only times having more than one cell is pertinent is when you're using two augs simultaneously. In that case, just eat a snack bar.

Don't need fixing, they're perfect as it is. You want the game to be even easier?

i am not going to spoil any bit of the game, but there was a part in the game where i was facing about 12 enemies or so, not easy enemies either

i found a vent that led from one side of the room to the other all i did was go in that vent and takedown someone, and then go back to the vent and to the other side wait for my battery to charge and then do it again till they were all gone

it wasnt too hard(though i did die a few times trying this) but imagine if every batery regenerated and how much easier it would have been

i think the current system works, i could see how it could be annoying sometimes but i dont want every battery to recharge or its way too easy, on the flip side i do not want to consume items for every single one of my batteries to recharge

i got an idea something i would love

you get augs to make more batteries recharge in some later DLC then everyone is happy because they can have as many batteries that regenerate as they want

Regenerate fully and decrease the amount of energy cost for takedowns.

I've said this before in another post: NON CLOAKED TAKEDOWNS should consume only 85% of battery, thus allowing it to recharge.

I go stealth route, and I have a surplus of ammo. Yes, there are protein bars, but that's silly to have to eat/carry a dozen just to use your powers. I look at the skills I can acquire and I fear I won't be able to use any of them because I'm constantly relying on one battery cell.

Protein bars also give you a lot of gas. Everything else in the game is fine.

Now, if there only was a modding community ....

EDIT: Fixed grammatical error

Fix the XP system instead.

Not penalizing people for not using non-lethal take-downs will fix the energy management problem. Take-downs would then become something used contextually rather than as the optimal means in every situation. This way you wouldn't be stuck on one energy cell at all times and this would give far more meaning to the energy restoring items (and you know, all those weapons outside a boss encounter). The extra batteries will serve as that little something extra, to utilize multiple take-downs and cloak/silent running occasionally, that can be replenished with nutrients for future opportunities rather than being constantly drained by non-lethal take-downs.

As it stands, not using non-lethal take-downs is just gimping your character and hurting your growth, so if you play in the currently most rewarding manner you are stuck at one cell at all times.

All kills should be normalized. Ghost/Smooth Operator shouldn't exist either or have some lethal equivalents (tricky since you can get both while playing lethally but those 2 bonuses still encourage a specific rigid play style). Better yet, just automatically include Ghost and Smooth Operator as quest objective bonus for everyone in the "getting things done" bonus.

Deus Ex didn't penalize you for not playing in a single specific manner, I hate the fact that HE does.

I don't expect these things to ever be patched in or changed, but I hope this is in some way moddable.

This feature felt broken to me. It just feels like the recharge feature was nerfed because they wanted to have a reason to have a reason to keep those stupid candy bars in the game (how does eating a candy recharge batteries?? wtf...).

Realizing only one battery ever recharges caused me to feel dumb for investing a praxis point on an extra one, and most importantly, made me feel dumb for getting the invisibility upgrade, which is really expensive to use, and you essentially have to have a big pack of those damn candies in order to use it effectively.

This was a terrible decision, it's not at all empowering to the player, and makes me think twice before using cool abilities that are helpful in many situations.

And I'm playing this game on hard mode, it's NOT AT ALL easy! I really hope they patch this issue.

Originally Posted by crazysam
    This feature felt broken to me. It just feels like the recharge feature was nerfed because they wanted to have a reason to have a reason to keep those stupid candy bars in the game (how does eating a candy recharge batteries?? wtf...).

Realizing only one battery ever recharges caused me to feel dumb for investing a praxis point on an extra one, and most importantly, made me feel dumb for getting the invisibility upgrade, which is really expensive to use, and you essentially have to have a big pack of those damn candies in order to use it effectively.

This was a terrible decision, it's not at all empowering to the player, and makes me think twice before using cool abilities that are helpful in many situations.

And I'm playing this game on hard mode, it's NOT AT ALL easy! I really hope they patch this issue.
    Might I suggest turning on and off invisibility rapidly to change cover? The other cells recharge, as long as they are not fully depleted. It sounds like you want to run through a whole level being invisible the entire time.

As someone who abused the hell out of Cloak. One battery is enough. If they all recharged, you could run through the entire game while cloaked with ease. Currently, it requires you to use it wisely and plan ahead. At least it does if you don't want to spam energy supplements.

This is exactly my situation to a T. I got the cloak and put one point to have an extra battery. I used my cloak right away and was bummed when I found out my other batteries don't charge AND that I already had an extra one (I thought they started you with one) also play on hard and go stealth route.

Someone mentioned that it makes you think twice before using abilities. The problem with that is I'm questioning the point of using praxis points on anything that needs battery power.

I think what all who say "it makes the game too easy" may be forgetting is that a fully upgraded energy bar is worth 7 praxis points.

That's a lot, and I think some of that investment is not justifiable at present.

Whether the game becomes too easy when you stand in place for three minutes to wait for your stuff to recharge is arguable. I'd say make takedowns impossible against enemies that can see you and have their weapon drawn and aimed - and add a 2-praxis upgrade to allow all-but-one regeneration somewhere in the middle of the energy bar upgrade chain.

A fully upgraded, expensive augmentation should make the game significantly easier. That's what we upgrade it for.

Can't fix energy in this game. It is a mess of ideas that came together into something that marginalizes itself.

Originally Posted by FeepingCreature
    I think what all who say "it makes the game too easy" may be forgetting is that a fully upgraded energy bar is worth 7 praxis points.

That's a lot, and I think some of that investment is not justifiable at present.

Whether the game becomes too easy when you stand in place for three minutes to wait for your stuff to recharge is arguable. I'd say make takedowns impossible against enemies that can see you and have their weapon drawn and aimed - and add a 2-praxis upgrade to allow all-but-one regeneration somewhere in the middle of the energy bar upgrade chain.

A fully upgraded, expensive augmentation should make the game significantly easier. That's what we upgrade it for.
    thats why i think how many batteries should be an augmentation because you would have to spend so much points upgrading it so you could regenerate every single battery but it would make the game so much easier once you did, then there are people who would hate all their batteries to regenerate they do not need to get the augmentations then so i really think this entire issue could be fixed for almost everyone by making it a augmentation

i agree without them all regenerate then it makes the expensive augmentation pretty useless but my idea would fix that, maybe 1 upgrade could make 2 of the batteries regenerate or something

Just curious how many of you invested praxis points into extra batteries beyond maybe one and you probably felt foolish after that. Probably very few. It's a flawed system. It's annoying having 3 batteries full and having one depleted for good because you released some pheromones in a conversation when simply it would have recharged if it was your one and only. They should have made a system where your latest battery recharges unless you step into the next battery ie if I deplete one full battery it still recharges unless I start using the second battery. That would prevent abilities that deplete one complete battery from screwing people over that have multiple batteries charged.

I've always thought that takedowns were pointless considering the cost of one bullet.

However, I don't really have a problem with the cloaking and other augmentations. If you're a hoarder like myself, you use cloak as smartly as possible in order to conserve that one battery. If you want to sacrifice your energy tubs/bars whatever to totally avoid an encounter, you can.

keep it the way it is!!!

Alternately they could just make energy bars more available. It seems bazaar to me the limb does not sell them as an open item. It makes one afraid to use cloak because you don't know if you will be able to get anymore.

The augs use the body's own bioelectricity. To power these energy extensive machines, you eat really high calorie snacks.

My idea to make the battery tree better would be to eliminate the 4th and 5th battery slot and add 2 branches after the 3rd battery purchase. First branch would be a two 1 point upgrades that allows an extra battery to recharge each. Second slot would be the current recharge speed we have now. This would mean if you used up all charges it would take a full minute with max recharge speed to get 3 charges back.

What does everyone think?

my idea is that you check trash cans in city and here you go your energy bars

Ironically the devs put in a recharge of one cell (rather than no cells at all, like the original) so that you're never stuck never able to use your abilities ever, and it's turned into a "give people an inch and they'll take a mile."

Would people have preferred zero energy regen whatsoever? (it's what I was expecting to be honest).

and it's turned into a "give people an inch and they'll take a mile."
    I think you're missing the point; there's absolutely no point in upgrading Energy Cell Capacity (Aside from the first upgrade to avoid "wasting" one cell when using the Cyberboost Energy Jars, I guess) because the only means to regain those extra cells is instant and item-bound.

To put it simply, if you have the default of 2 energy cells and run out of energy, you eat a protein bar and end up at 1 energy. If you have 5 energy cells and run out of energy, you eat a protein bar and end up at 1 energy. There's literally no improvement here, and this is true regardless of whether energy is regenerating or not.

cry me a river

I feel non lethal takedowns should not consume energy at all. when you think about it sprinting or jumping doesnt consume energy why should a single haymaker to the face cost energy? i mean his legs are augmented simply walking should burn batteries if a punch does.

The logic fails but from one who prefers a single silenced 10mm to the back of the head the battery drains dont bother me so much.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last