Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Game ENDINGS - ALL discussion (BEWARE SPOILERS inside!)

Game ENDINGS - ALL discussion (BEWARE SPOILERS inside!)

Game ENDINGS - ALL discussion (BEWARE SPOILERS inside!)

So...what ending did you pick and do you think there's a particular "canon" one or they all seem to possibly fit (even if some more than others) and only a sequel would truly bridge the gap between what happens in HR and DE?

I'd say the blow everything up ending is canon. It explains why Jensen/Sarif/Taggart/Darrow wouldn't be mentioned at all in the original.

Originally Posted by Jordasm
    I'd say the blow everything up ending is canon. It explains why Jensen/Sarif/Taggart/Darrow wouldn't be mentioned at all in the original.
    That's one way of looking at it, though if Page wanted to salvage some of Hyron it'd be difficult getting it off the bottom of the Arctic Ocean.

Given the endings, I was a little surprised they didn't tie more directly into DX1, though I realize it would've been difficult to give them variety and also maintain a consistent canon. That said, I do hope for a sequel that bridges the gap; there were a lot of ties present in the emails and some of the over-arching story, and HR did seem to have its own story and message to tell, which is good. It just seemed like there was a lot of potential there for a stronger interplay between the two, particularly given Jensen's unique genetic structure, the briefly-mentioned experiments at White Helix, and how the two could've tied into JC's origin and what we saw at Area 51 in the first game.

I will say I was slightly disappointed that they managed to put in pre-rendered cinematics for so much else in the game, but not the endings- It would've been nice to see how people reacted to the message, and the facility collapsing, if you go that route.

Also, as for what would make sense in terms of what we know about Jensen, I think he would've chosen to broadcast the truth- He spent so long uncovering it and seemed so resentful of when he was lied to it's hard to imagine him doing anything else. But if the world knew of the Illuminati, then DX1 never would've happened. Taggert's ending, and the only one I've seen so far aside from 'explode the facility for nebulous reasons', would explain why in DX1 we mostly saw mechanical augmentation in the form of Gunther and Anna, but it's hard to imagine strong regulation being put forth against HET that wouldn't affect the growing nano-augmentation programs; while this isn't so much an issue for DX1 since the Dentons were UNATCO's toys, the eventual spillover of nano-augmentation that we see in DX2 would be more difficult to explain. Although resolutions can be repealed...

The other two endings I'm saving as motivation to complete a pacifist playthrough. I tried it the first time and got to the end of the first China visit before I found out that the people you shoot in the prologue count against you. After that I decided to do my lethal badass playthrough first and started over.

Game ending bug. (Spoilers)

I'm at the compound where you contact the 3 scientists and then you have to get to Dr. Reed. Now after you upload Zuvchenko's (Not sure if that is actually his name) virus to the security terminal the scientists are supposed to coordinate a distraction that leads to a certain door opening. If I am not mistaken this door is right next to the security terminal. Problem is that door is not opening, even though in my quest log it says it should be open.

Having not realized it was a bug I ran around the compound looking for this door and it autosaved several times so there is no going back.

This would be a real bummer for something like this to happen 20 hours in. Anyone experience this before and fixed it? Or even better, am I just misunderstanding something and looking in the wrong place? Any help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by TheVyrak
    I'm at the compound where you contact the 3 scientists and then you have to get to Dr. Reed. Now after you upload Zuvchenko's (Not sure if that is actually his name) virus to the security terminal the scientists are supposed to coordinate a distraction that leads to a certain door opening. If I am not mistaken this door is right next to the security terminal. Problem is that door is not opening, even though in my quest log it says it should be open.

Having not realized it was a bug I ran around the compound looking for this door and it autosaved several times so there is no going back.

This would be a real bummer for something like this to happen 20 hours in. Anyone experience this before and fixed it? Or even better, am I just misunderstanding something and looking in the wrong place? Any help would be appreciated.
    I noticed the door was not open as well. However, I patiently waited about 10 seconds (long enough for them to get to the chopper), and the door opened. Have you gone back to that room?

Yeah, I've been going back and forth hoping for something to trigger, nothing is happening.

Unhappy Disappointed with the ending (SPOILER!)

I'm very disappointed with the
    style ending. I really wanted to be able to
    Don't get me wrong though, loved the game.

Originally Posted by SupahDonkeh
    I'm very disappointed with the
    style ending. I really wanted to be able to
    Don't get me wrong though, loved the game.

If you are disapointed in this endings style I am lead to believe that you havn't played Deus Ex or Invisible War, as they both ended after the climax and cut right there. This is no 'Fallout 3' ending, it is simply what it is... an 'ending', not something that continues as then it would not be called an ending.

Being able to free roam would kill the build up and could ruin the build up and destroy some peoples satisfaction with the ending, I believe the book The Hobbit continued on after Bilbo left the Misty Mountains and had a bit to go before the end of the book, ending after he got home to the shire. Though I admit I havn't read any of those books for quite some time, the point is just that sort of ending can just drag on and ruin the cinematic build up.

My opinion, at least.

Then don't do free roam if you don't like it.

I tried playing deus ex 1 and the expansion but I just couldn't. I became a PC gamer way too late so I had no appreciation for it, being about 2008 when I tried it.

Why can't there just be an ending where you get to play on for a bit? With the ending where you send darrow's message, what happens to adam then? He just sits in the room and starves to death?

I understand what you're saying SupahDonkeh, but unless a game is sandboxy, like Fallout, it's hard to program the game to make sense to the player after he/she has beaten it. Take Mass Effect for example. I'd rather they just have ended the game at the end, because every conversation with people afterwards is really odd, especially if you didn't talk to them much before the end.

I do think they should have let you leave the final location, maybe go back and see the confusion of all the augmented people (they wouldn't know what you decided, unless you went left ), and get back to civilization. But beyond that, why bother?

why rush to the end? why not just do the side quest before hand?

Originally Posted by SupahDonkeh
    Then don't do free roam if you don't like it.

I tried playing deus ex 1 and the expansion but I just couldn't. I became a PC gamer way too late so I had no appreciation for it, being about 2008 when I tried it.

Why can't there just be an ending where you get to play on for a bit? With the ending where you send darrow's message, what happens to adam then? He just sits in the room and starves to death?
    Deus Ex is an amazing game, I'm not a long time fan of it as others as a friend of mine bought it for me. The first time I played it I was bored at Liberty Island and quit after an hour, but then I decided to give it another chance a few months later and I LOVED it, it was simply amazing.

Anyways, sorry but it still wouldn't be implemented in this kind of game, they may make a DLC that continues after the ending but it will most likely end as well.

Originally Posted by ReliantLion
    I understand what you're saying SupahDonkeh, but unless a game is sandboxy, like Fallout, it's hard to program the game to make sense to the player after he/she has beaten it.
    Agree it makes sense for a game like Elder Scrolls, but this game is a great deal more linear. Free roam wouldn't make sense. There wasn't even that much to explorer. You didn't get to see it all in your first playthrough? I made a point to do every sidequest my first playthrough if just to maximize my character. It's usually how I play RPGs.

Personally I am not disappointed because it had an ending, I think every story needs such a thing (at least every good one), but the endings themselves were really disappointing...just 4 buttons to chose 4 different monologues...nothing you did beforehand has any relevance...to get the Deus Ex Machina Achievement, all you have to do is save before you hit the button...

Also I wanted to know what happened right afterwards, like short-time consequences...

The game is great, the story is good (and surprising, at least for me...I always waited for a treason that never came...), but the ending sucks.

Originally Posted by Piflik
    Personally I am not disappointed because it had an ending, I think every story needs such a thing (at least every good one), but the endings themselves were really disappointing...just 4 buttons to chose 4 different monologues...nothing you did beforehand has any relevance...to get the Deus Ex Machina Achievement, all you have to do is save before you hit the button...

Also I wanted to know what happened right afterwards, like short-time consequences...

The game is great, the story is good (and surprising, at least for me...I always waited for a treason that never came...), but the ending sucks.
    The best ending is the one without the button, honestly.

What I'd like to know is what you guys think the ending shouldve been like.

Personally, I had no problem with the ending. And would gladly play through the game again.

For one, decisions midgame should matter for the ending, not only 4 buttons after the endboss. Like rescuing
    or not, killing important figures like
    or
    , even winning certain dialogues.
    Secondly it would be nice to tie up loose ends, like what happend to
    after they escaped from
    . What's with Tong and other persons met during the game.
    , how did she react to
    ?
    Thirdly I want to know what the immediate consequences are.
    ...in essence did my actions have an impact on society?
    Most importantly...what happened to Adam after
    ?

As it is now, the story feels like it is a setup for a sequel, not making anything definite. Don't get me wrong, I do hope to see more Deus Ex games, but they shouldn't follow one continuity...give the story a real ending and start a new story in the same universe, with new characters...a good story needs closure.

Edit: Why the heck can't I incorporate spoilers into running sentences...my post looks like crap...

Originally Posted by Piflik
    :
    You didn't stay for the scene after the credits?

I hate to be a whiner but...

I did watch the credits and the little scene afterwards, but that doesn't really answer what I was asking for...

I believe the 'Suicidal' ending is canon as it explains the absence of any reference to Sarif, Taggart, Darrow, and Jensen though Darrow could just be considered a horrible man in history and just not referenced.

Sometimes its better for the truth to not be known.

EDIT: I keep hearing of this scene at the end of the credits which I missed, but its enough motiviation for me to do another playthrough.

Someone explain to me what the post-credits sequence was? Cuz I skipped over the credits without realizing there could be something after haha.

And maybe it's just me, but it feels like they barely touched on the Illuminati and I feel as though there's more to them then whats in the game. I played the first Deus Ex and they featured quite a bit alongside MJ12, and I also read somewhere that this game would set up UNATCO being formed and the Statue of Liberty being attacked. So when that wasn't in the game, I was a little disappointed. *shrug*

I picked the Darrow's message ending and it was more favorite of all 4. The one I mostly agree with.
    Originally Posted by OhSorryOldHorse
    Someone explain to me what the post-credits sequence was? Cuz I skipped over the credits without realizing there could be something after haha.
    Just Bob Page meeting Megan Reed while telling her his name is Bob Page.

Dr. Megan Reed - Gullible or Deranged? (Obvious/Major endgame spoilers)

I've almost never, ever, registered for a forum of a game I've played - to actually talk about the game's story. But I've loved Deus Ex since the beginning, and I wanted to see what the rest of the crowd thought about dear ol' Megan.

Like most people, I was glad that she was alive, and happy to have found her near the end...but then I actually started listening to what she was saying, and it left me...basically like this: O_O

So, Megan started off her career on an ambitious and controversial front: using Adam Jensen's DNA to perfect augmentation tech: no rejection, nanite level augs. The whole works - and something that literally would redefine what it meant to be human, and change a lot of people's lives (for the better, let's say).

Then, she gets kidnapped. And she gets talked into a complete 180 degree reversal in her philosophy. Augmentations don't help people - they make them dangerous. So now she gleefully starts work on a chip that allows some "higher power" to take away the basic humanity of an augment, turning them into a drone/literally being able to shut them down.

The other members of her team have their doubts. Even in SECLUSION/not having all the facts, these team members have started to guess at the true nature of the chip, and realize it's a downright horrible sin of an invention. Does Megan Reed realize this? No, and she has all the information.

So of course, everything goes horribly wrong, but thankfully I kept Malik alive in my play-through, and Megan magically gets saved with a comfy helicopter ride back home. And what does she do after the game ends? Goes to work for Bob Page, gleefully commenting about the potential of THE CHIMERA NANITE VIRUS.

TL;DR: So, what say you, Eidos forum? Can we nominate Megan Reed as a deranged sociopath/the true villain of human revolution, if there ever was one? :P

Maybe the secret subplot twist ending villian. I think Hugh Darrow has a lock on Main Villian

Originally Posted by OhSorryOldHorse

And maybe it's just me, but it feels like they barely touched on the Illuminati and I feel as though there's more to them then whats in the game. I played the first Deus Ex and they featured quite a bit alongside MJ12, and I also read somewhere that this game would set up UNATCO being formed and the Statue of Liberty being attacked. So when that wasn't in the game, I was a little disappointed. *shrug*
    You can see the post-credits sequence here, at the 10 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMMcd6-D4x8

It forges a number of links between Deus Ex and Human Revolution in a few lines of dialogue, though I'm not pleased with all them.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last