Thread: PC Problems that need addressing badly

PC Problems that need addressing badly

PC Problems that need addressing badly

I have found a few things in the PC version that are REALLY annoying.

1. Assigning Keyboard Keys

A. Enter button - is NOT allowed as an assigned key. This is one of the very few games that has this problem. Please allow users to assign this key to a key mapping as I always use this button for my Activate or Use key.

B. Backspace button - is NOT allowed as an assigned key. This is one of the very few games that has this problem. Please allow users to assign this key to a key mapping.

C. Tab key - is NOT allowed as an assigned key. This is one of the very few games that has this problem. Please allow users to assign this key to a key mapping. I use this all the time to bring up my Map screen. This is a pretty commonly used key for this feature.

2. No auto picking up of weapons off the ground as Ammo. While I do understand that maybe you dont want to pick up every gun in the game, it's more annoying that I have to click on every gun on the floor to pick up ammo. How about if I have the gun in my inventory the gun auto picks up without me having to pick it up again to replenish ammo. This is such a BAD design for this game it really ruins the fun. When you in a fire fight and need ammo since this game is so limited on ammo, I really don't want to have to select the gun which is hidden under bodies some times just to pick up ammo.. THIS REALLY needs a major fix asap!

All in all, you should NOT lock down any keyboard assignments. Backspace and Enter are widely used for key mappings. You dont need backspace to clear a key out. Please consider these fixes soon as it is really hurting my game experience.

Agreed, due to limited mobility of my hands, I tend to conglomerate all my hotkeys as close as possible to the WASD keys as I can, with TAB key being one of the keys that I use in almost every other game that I play, I was a bit surprised that the TAB key is not mappable due to what the game is using it for.

Would be nice to be able to map every key if at all possible.

Thanks

I hate auto-ammo pick up.
    The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Originally Posted by MaceUk
    I hate auto-ammo pick up.
    I don't hate it in all games - it's necessary in, say, Serious Sam - but agreed that it wouldn't be right for this game. Looting and scavenging are all part of the experience.

[EDIT] I'm glad that picking up a gun that you already own one of that type just takes the ammo though, you don't pick up the whole gun and then have to manually unload it in your inventory like (for instance) System Shock 2. That's taking things too far.

I think you're overreacting a little, calling out "terrible design" because you can't auto-pickup ammo from guns on the ground. Put out the idea, justify it, but belittling those able to help you is not a smart choice.

Edit: By the way, TAB seems to pull up my map and I've never bound it that way, nor did I have any trouble getting my new keybinds to stick.

Kynaeus,

We are happy that you like the design but most PC gamers would agree with me that this is NOT the norm and sloopy

I agree with Kynaeus. I'm willing to bet money that part of the reason you don't "auto-loot" ammo on the ground is because of how combat is oriented in the game. Ammo can be very scarce, and if you're out of ammo and have to scrounge for some during combat, you should have to actively look for it and suffer the consequences. It definitely adds to the realism of this game. That being said I'm still waiting to hear about a windowed mode. :P

Adding my +1 for expanding the keymappings. I'm left handed and use the numpad in lieu of WASD in all first person games - not having Numpad Enter available for binding is a pain in the butt.

Not in favor of auto-pickup, though. In this style of game I prefer to pick things up deliberately (and that is the norm for a Deus Ex game, in any case). I suppose it could be implemented as an on/off in the Gameplay menu for those who want it, but I'd personally keep it disabled.

I think they should think about working on all the crashes/freezing issues that people are having first =p

Originally Posted by KrubixCube
    I think they should think about working on all the crashes/freezing issues that people are having first =p
    Agreed. But let's keep the (horrible) control issues piping hot on the back burner nonetheless.

I just found out that my pc copy doesn't even work with my 360 controller with all of the updated drivers, even though it works fine with all my other pc games. Not that it matters, because there is no way to configure even that monopolized Microsoft device to the way I want it.

May I just exchange this PC-broken-title for the 360 version? I really don't need the heartbreaking disappointment I'm experiencing this week...

Originally Posted by nuchbutter
    Agreed. But let's keep the (horrible) control issues piping hot on the back burner nonetheless.

I just found out that my pc copy doesn't even work with my 360 controller with all of the updated drivers, even though it works fine with all my other pc games. Not that it matters, because there is no way to configure even that monopolized Microsoft device to the way I want it.

May I just exchange this PC-broken-title for the 360 version? I really don't need the heartbreaking disappointment I'm experiencing this week...
    I got news for ya the 360 version also has problems... and the PS3, but it is more rare

Originally Posted by Quickjager
    I got news for ya the 360 version also has problems... and the PS3, but it is more rare
    Dang it!

I'm having a crappy week. see my posts in the thread I started, if you're interested. I kinda had a blow-up...

Originally Posted by nuchbutter
    Dang it!

I'm having a crappy week. see my posts in the thread I started, if you're interested. I kinda had a blow-up...
    if it means anything im expecting (foolishly probably) that the PC version of the game will be patched first, mainly because any problems the consoles have are related to the graphic rendering.

A game breaking thing is the lack of "windowed mode"

Key binding options, no brainer. All keys should be remappable.

Automatically picking up ammo in a game with (very) limited inventory space? No, no and no.

What I would like though, is for the weapons to not disappear when taking the ammo out of them. Makes no sense that the weapon vanishes just because you have one already. Just add a small tag with [empty] in the the tooltip for weapons that you've already scavenged the ammo from.
    GA-X48-DQ6 - Q9550@3.2GHz - Dominator DDR2 1066MHz 8GB - eVGA GTX480 SC
    Velociraptor 10kRPM HD - X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro - W7U 64bit