Thread: KEYBOARD & MOUSE & CONTROLLER -Key Mapping/Customise, Mouse Lag, Controls -All Issues

KEYBOARD & MOUSE & CONTROLLER -Key Mapping/Customise, Mouse Lag, Controls -All Issues

I can confirm that to eliminate mouse issues, you need to

Turn off:
    SSAO
    DirectX 11

Originally Posted by TheExodu5
    I can confirm that to eliminate mouse issues, you need to

Turn off:
    SSAO
    DirectX 11
    Turning of DX11 greatly reduced my mouse issues, though it can feel smooth if you're able to achieve a low FPS. Well done

Some people over at the Steam forums can confirm that they actually don't have any mouse-acceleration (I can tell who knows what they're talking about and who's talking out of their ass :P), and only slight mouse smoothing.

Why some have it, and others don't though, I have no idea.

Kind of the same. Right handed cursor-key player here.
    R-CTRL=Crouch
    R-Shift=Jump
    Return=Sprint
    Del=Use
    End=Reload
    PgDown=Game Specific
    #=Takedown
    ]=Zoom

Without my Return key I'm kinda f00ked...

*Edit*

This post: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...6&postcount=20
    gave me so much information!
    And this one http://ascii.cl/control-characters.htm
    And this one http://brebru.com/asciicodes.html

Regedit and go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HR\Controls]
    And change Sprint[1 or 2] like so
    "Sprint2"=dword:0000000d
    (So Hex "d" or decimal "13")

When you next go to Options in game it even displays it correctly, it just won't let you map it in game :-|

*/Edit*

Zen

Originally Posted by LordWeasel
    Some people over at the Steam forums can confirm that they actually don't have any mouse-acceleration (I can tell who knows what they're talking about and who's talking out of their ass :P), and only slight mouse smoothing.

Why some have it, and others don't though, I have no idea.
    Some people just don't notice...either that or they have SSAO and DirectX 11 off.

Originally Posted by TheExodu5
    Some people just don't notice...either that or they have SSAO and DirectX 11 off.
    But how can SSAO and DX11 affect mouse-accel? Mouselag, sure, but accel? And one who could confirm he did not have mouse-accel was very aware of what it was, and how to test for it.

Unfortunately you can't. I hope they will patch this though and allow you to.

This is why I'm playing through stealthily until it's fixed. Combat in this game is virtually impossible for me right now. Fortunately, I try to stick to cover and avoid guards at all costs.

I was able to mitigate most of the issue by setting my DPI at max, and my in-game sensitivity to 1/1. I still notice a bit of lag.

I personally like acceleration but it really should be an option since so many do not.

As for lag I am not really experiencing that at all.

First, vsync has always caused input lag. It's just one of its side effects. It affects all games, not just DX:HR.

Second, low FPS will make the mouse seem more floaty, which should be common knowledge. Increasing your graphical settings will lower your FPS, making your mouse less responsive.

The mouse control DOES feel very sloppy, however. The X - Y sensitivity bars not scaling with each other in a 1:1 ratio also makes finding the right sensitivity quite difficult. Also, for me, 0 x-axis sens made the mouse too slow, while 1 made it too high...

There is also some delay in mouse movement (mouse lag) even with vsync off and very stable 60+ FPS. This stacked with vsync input lag / lower FPS / weird sensitivity options makes the mouse control feel very clunky for those of us that notice such things.

I used to avoid all games that didn't have close-to-perfect mouse controls, but in this era of multiplatform games it's just one of the things you have to deal with. Very few games these days have mouse control down to perfection like Source engine games. Best to just play and try to get used to it I think, since these issues usually do not get fixed by developers.

It is obvious that this is a serious issue with many people including myself. I have checked out a lot of different forums seeing if any solutions were found for it, but as of right now there are not.

What we need to do is figure out the best way of informing the devs of this so that they can fix it. Does anyone know the proper channels that we can go through to get this fixed in the next patch? If so please post the details here.

Escape Key does nothing (PC)

Worked last night, but this evening when I fired up the DE:HR, I noticed that there's no way for me to get to the menu from in-game. I do not have a special customizable keyboard, nor am I running any software that re-maps keys. (edit: Yes my escape key seems to be working outside of DE:HR. Tested it on a full-screen youtube video.)

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution?

(as a workaround, Alt-Tab automatically brings up the game menu when you return to the game from Windows)

Originally Posted by StingingVelvet
    I personally like acceleration but it really should be an option since so many do not.

As for lag I am not really experiencing that at all.
    That's all we want. Options . I refuse to belive that a couple of basic control options like toggle acceleration/smoothing is something a semi-decent programmer can't add to the game in a matter of hours. So little effort to make a game so much better (hell, even playable for some of us). We don't need some fancy thing in a shiny options menu. As long as it works, just give us a toggle in an .ini file or something, that's all we're asking for.

But once again, I'm afraid we probably have to wait for some community-hack or mod to compensate for lazy programming, as it seems to be the norm these days. I'm sure a lot of people at Eidos really poured their hearts into this game, and it kinda sad that it's worse than it has to be because of such a stupid oversight.

Originally Posted by langston.ryan
    It is obvious that this is a serious issue with many people including myself. I have checked out a lot of different forums seeing if any solutions were found for it, but as of right now there are not.

What we need to do is figure out the best way of informing the devs of this so that they can fix it. Does anyone know the proper channels that we can go through to get this fixed in the next patch? If so please post the details here.
    Besides actually trying to mail them directly, which will most likely get us nowhere, I can't really see any better option than to just keep looking for solutions and keep posting about it. If only to "raise awareness" if you will, and maybe a dev will stroll by and notice this thread right up there by the stickies.

Well, ..there is this general issue with DirectInput and mouse acceleration curves in Windows which is really a broad topic.
    Try googling for "disable mouse acceleration" +curve +windows
    Eliminating Windows mouse acceleration will give you a 1:1 mouse movement and will remove some of those problems where you experience a "deadzone" with mouse in some games. However it will also decrease (emulated) precision in Windows so it might take some time to get used to it. Read up on that. It's a somewhat complex topic which doesn't really fit here.

Here's a link to get you started:
    http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/...ation-fix.html

DISCLAIMER: This involves editing your registry. Theres a high probability that you'll up your mouse behaviour and be unable to get back to the default settings if you are not familiar with exporting, backing up and editing .reg files. You've been warned.

Is everyone certain there actually is in-game mouse acceleration? I use a Razer Imperator and I'm extremely sensitive to any such problems, but I haven't noticed any playing Human Revolution, both regular acceleration or reverse acceleration. There is definitely some degree of smoothing (i.e. it doesn't feel like perfect 1:1 movement), but I don't find that my cursor distance changes depending on speed at all, regardless of whether I'm playing at 800 dpi or 4600 dpi.

A few things you can do to minimise mouse smoothing:

1) Disable v-sync in the options menu. No brainer here if you've been gaming on PC for any length of time.

2) Set the mouse Y sensitivity to 2x the regular sensitivity, i.e. if mouse sensitivity is 5, Y sensitivity should be 10. This eliminates the difference between horizontal and vertical mouse speed that the game uses by default.

3) Increase your field of view, somewhere around 90. I find that at the default, the low field of view actually makes the controls feel more sluggish than they are.

4) If you have a Logitech or Razer mouse, use your driver software to make sure mouse acceleration is forced off, globally. This applies to other mouse software, of course, but I'm only familiar with those two, so your mileage may vary.

5) Make absolutely sure that mouse acceleration is disabled in the Windows control panel.

6) Last, follow the instructions on this page to prevent any other programs from re-enabling mouse acceleration in Windows 7: http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/...ation-fix.html There are similar fixes available for Windows XP and Vista as well.

With any luck, that should reduce, if not eliminate the problems most people are experiencing. As I said, there is still definitely a little bit of smoothing, and the mouse speed does change in certain situations (during some story sequences like the introduction, when aiming down iron sights, etc.), but despite the ever-so-slight sluggishness, for the most part my mouse controls feel quite smooth and accurate. It's not Quake 3, but it's definitely better than some other games I've played recently.

Registered to this forum just for this issue.

Config file, hold to crouch, hold to aim, hold to sprint, please.

I fixed it by turning my mouse DPI to 3500 and setting the in game mouse sensitivity to about one bar. Turned of Vsync and haven't noticed an issue since.
    ))<>((

I had the bad mouse lag too. Turning off SSOA and vysnc didn't help. Then when I changed resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, the mouse lag went away.

The game seems to write some of its settings to a couple of .dat and .var files, if the contents of my AppData folder is anything to go by. If anyone's able to figure out how to open these (Notepad++ doesn't work), there's a chance we could be a step closer to some more tweaks.

I'll pile on this thread and say: I'm telling all friends curious about the game to NOT buy, and NOT playing it myself until this is fixed. Perhaps you can call this playable, but it is FAR from enjoyable.

Should have known better than to trust a PC game coming from Square Enix.

Originally Posted by lhaymehr
    Well, ..there is this general issue with DirectInput and mouse acceleration curves in Windows which is really a broad topic.
    Try googling for "disable mouse acceleration" +curve +windows
    Eliminating Windows mouse acceleration will give you a 1:1 mouse movement and will remove some of those problems where you experience a "deadzone" with mouse in some games. However it will also decrease (emulated) precision in Windows so it might take some time to get used to it. Read up on that. It's a somewhat complex topic which doesn't really fit here.

Here's a link to get you started:
    http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/...ation-fix.html

DISCLAIMER: This involves editing your registry. Theres a high probability that you'll up your mouse behaviour and be unable to get back to the default settings if you are not familiar with exporting, backing up and editing .reg files. You've been warned.
    I recommend not doing this for DXHR, as we use Windows Raw Input for in-game movement and thus do not rely on DirectInput or Windows mouse acceleration (except for the cursor in menus). Changing these registry settings will therefore not affect DXHR - so why risk it?

As for the perceived "mouse smoothing" problems. I'm really sorry that you guys are experiencing issues with the controls, but please understand that there is no mouse smoothing applied in DXHR. The only cause for the delay between your input and the result appearing on screen is the amount of time it takes for the video driver to display the new frame (due to how video drivers work, this delay can be up to 5 frames, which adds up to about 80 milliseconds if you are running at 60 fps).

Originally Posted by jimo
    I recommend not doing this for DXHR, as we use Windows Raw Input for in-game movement and thus do not rely on DirectInput or Windows mouse acceleration (except for the cursor in menus). Changing these registry settings will therefore not affect DXHR - so why risk it?

As for the perceived "mouse smoothing" problems. I'm really sorry that you guys are experiencing issues with the controls, but please understand that there is no mouse smoothing applied in DXHR. The only cause for the delay between your input and the result appearing on screen is the amount of time it takes for the video driver to display the new frame (due to how video drivers work, this delay can be up to 5 frames, which adds up to about 80 milliseconds if you are running at 60 fps).
    Hey Jim,

Thanks for your quick answer. It's always nice to see companies respecting their customers.

But can you tell us anything about mouse acceleration? Is is there, or is it just people seeing/feeling things? Is there any way to disable it?

And another question, what's the "true" proportion of mouse X and Y axis sensitivity? Is it 1:2? Just so that I know how to configure my mouse when I want true 1:1 mouse X and Y. Thanks!

try this...

Hey there,

I'm a lefty and use the numpad area for gaming, with the NumpadEnter a "key" key in my layout. Not having the option to bind it doesn't make much sense. There is a workaround however:-

1. Download Auto Hotkey: http://www.autohotkey.com

2. Create / Modify the script file, AutoHotkey.ahk in your documents folder to have the following line:

NumpadEnter::x ;(Crouch Toggle)

This will basically bind the 'NumpadEnter' key to the 'x' key. You can ofcourse chose any other key you like. The statement after the semi-colon is justs a comment, which isn't really required.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by erionfin
    Thanks for your quick answer. It's always nice to see companies respecting their customers.
    We're here to help!

But can you tell us anything about mouse acceleration? Is is there, or is it just people seeing/feeling things? Is there any way to disable it?
    For in-game movement, we also do not apply any mouse acceleration. We grab the raw mouse delta values from Windows and convert them directly to angular movement.

And another question, what's the "true" proportion of mouse X and Y axis sensitivity? Is it 1:2? Just so that I know how to configure my mouse when I want true 1:1 mouse X and Y. Thanks!
    This was actually a bug, which we'll be addressing in the next update.

cheers,
    Jim.

Thanks again, that's valuable information! Now I just got to wait until Friday when the game is released in Europe.

Page 3 of 7 First First 1234567 Last