Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: "Unable to reserve 512MB of address space."

"Unable to reserve 512MB of address space."

"Unable to reserve 512MB of address space."

I get this error when trying to start the game. I have tried restarting Steam and the computer, but this does not help. My PC does meet the system requirements. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by Rbhl
    I get this error when trying to start the game. I have tried restarting Steam and the computer, but this does not help. My PC does meet the system requirements. Any ideas?
    Specs? graphics card?

This sounds very graphic card like in error terms.. are you ati?
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    SB X-Fi Audio

Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    SB X-Fi Audio
    Spookily aside from ram (i have 3GB) you have the exact same spec as one of my pc's.. i run the game on this fine.. and the game doesnt need 3GB to run.

I just did a quick lookup of that error and i only find it in 1 place, talking about people who have the illegal version.. which version are you running? boxed copy installed? preload version?

Definitely not an illegal version. I pre-ordered it from Steam.

Definitely not an illegal version. I pre-ordered it from Steam.
    You US based etc?

Yes.

Yes.
    Had to check your as account is set GMT as your timezone, thought it defaulted to your local zone if you were in US would be set to that thas all, maybe wrong there.

Update - its not graphics memory its trying to allocate 512MB of at the beginning, but system ram. Do you have many other apps running?

How much video memory is on your graphics card? Is your BIOS set to assign 512mb or more to your graphics card?
    Eidos Support
    Contact Support Directly:
    Square Enix Support Europe
    Square Enix Support North America

I have the same error. I have a steam preorder at 11:30 pm, it started the download as a preload but finished it as a released download at 12:55 am. I defraged my c drive. My system specs are.

dell
    win xp
    ati hd 4800 series with 1024mb memory
    p 3.40
    3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
    298 gb c drive with 152 gb free space

Originally Posted by littlecats
    I have the same error. I have a steam preorder at 11:30 pm, it started the download as a preload but finished it as a released download at 12:55 am. I defraged my c drive. My system specs are.

dell
    win xp
    ati hd 4800 series with 1024mb memory
    p 3.40
    3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
    298 gb c drive with 152 gb free space
    its not graphics memory its trying to take 512MB of, but system ram.. how much system memory do you have? have you got a lot of tools etc running?

I don't have much running (just usual antivirus etc.). According to Task Manager, my available physical memory is approx. 1,175,000K.

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    its not graphics memory its trying to take 512MB of, but system ram.. how much system memory do you have? have you got a lot of tools etc running?
    This line came from the my computer properties and was under the pentium line. 3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
    Not sure if that's the system memory but I think it is.

I have zone alarm and steam running right now. I have big fish games, amazon, ea, gog, and causual game companies' game downloaders in my system but they should only run when their games are open, I think. I have the sims mediveal game set to report back to ea but I haven't played it for a while. I have that mccaffrey anti virus thing that comes with the adobe or the flash player update. I keep forgeting to tell it not to download that when I update.

Originally Posted by littlecats
    This line came from the my computer properties and was under the pentium line. 3.39 ghz 2.00meg of ram
    Not sure if that's the system memory but I think it is.

I have zone alarm and steam running right now. I have big fish games, amazon, ea, gog, and causual game companies' game downloaders in my system but they should only run when their games are open, I think. I have the sims mediveal game set to report back to ea but I haven't played it for a while. I have that mccaffrey anti virus thing that comes with the adobe or the flash player update. I keep forgeting to tell it not to download that when I update.
    Ahh i think all those downloaders happily launch themselves when you log in am afraid so taking precious memory if they are in the systray they are running, try exiting out of them..

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Ahh i think all those downloaders happily launch themselves when you log in am afraid so taking precious memory if they are in the systray they are running, try exiting out of them..

I'm having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is that I'm running PC through bootcamp. I don't have much of anything running in the background and I certainly have enough memory. Is there a way I can manually reserve the 512 mb, a setting of some sort?

I also pre-ordered the game through Steam last night

Specs:
    Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    2.39 GHz, 1.97 GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Originally Posted by ibuchbin
    I'm having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is that I'm running PC through bootcamp. I don't have much of anything running in the background and I certainly have enough memory. Is there a way I can manually reserve the 512 mb, a setting of some sort?

I also pre-ordered the game through Steam last night

Specs:
    Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    2.39 GHz, 1.97 GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Kind of. I don't know if you can do this through bootcamp, but you'd have to raise your VRAM up a bit. It isn't as fast as your "regular" RAM but it would allow you to play.

Other tweaks are a bit more complicated.
    Schon trübet der Mond sich verschwindenden Scheins, die Glocke, sie donnert ein mächtiges Eins, und unten zerschellt das Gerippe. -Göthe, Totentanz

Originally Posted by Risingred
    Kind of. I don't know if you can do this through bootcamp, but you'd have to raise your VRAM up a bit. It isn't as fast as your "regular" RAM but it would allow you to play.

Other tweaks are a bit more complicated.
    How do I raise my VRAM?

This issue is not related to VRAM but to main memory available to each application. Resident tools that hook into every application are likely eating away memory causing it to be unable to allocate 512mb of memory. The solution would have to be found in removing other resident applications you have on top of a regular Windows 7 install.

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    This issue is not related to VRAM but to main memory available to each application. Resident tools that hook into every application are likely eating away memory causing it to be unable to allocate 512mb of memory. The solution would have to be found in removing other resident applications you have on top of a regular Windows 7 install.
    My task manager says it has more than enough memory to run it. well over a gig

I got the same problem. Man this sucks. If anyone has anything to try, I'm glad to hear it. I bought it off steam and pre-loaded it. I've updated my video card drivers and steam client. I've also tried verifying and defraging the files. I got nothing.

Windows XP
    Intel Pentium (R) D 2.8 Ghz
    3.25gb of ram
    directX 9.0 C
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 with 1024mb memory

Originally Posted by ibuchbin
    How do I raise my VRAM?
    In bootcamp? I can't really be sure. I don't have experience with the emulation.

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    Wouldn't raising the VRAM be a possible workaround?
    This is one of the more complex tweaks I was referring to.
    Schon trübet der Mond sich verschwindenden Scheins, die Glocke, sie donnert ein mächtiges Eins, und unten zerschellt das Gerippe. -Göthe, Totentanz

So, I just spent about an hour with an NVIDIA representative and after exhausting every option we're positive it's not the gcard.. either the game or something else...

"The recommended card is 9 series & above. However, I see that the 9600 GT has 64 cuda cores where as the 9600M GT has 32 cuda cores. So this could be a reason you are getting this error." That's the only thing he could find.

Same problem here. Thru Steam, click "play" button and get errror "CDC unable to reserve 512mb of address space". Same message if I launch from the .exe file in Steam Apps folder for the game. Tried everything mentioned here and everything else we can think of. I have tried several Steam remedies and managed to get it to do an update instead of going right to the address space error, but it still ends up at that error after the update. Every time, update or no update. Oh, once or twice I got an error that the game was unavailable, but then it went right back to the adress space error. I have a support ticket in now at Square Enix. If they help, I will pass it on.

Originally Posted by Risingred
    Wouldn't raising the VRAM be a possible workaround?
    This is one of the more complex tweaks I was referring to.
    That would only make the problem worse, as the maximum addressable amount of regular memory (Virtual or otherwise) on a Windows XP install is;

4 GB - 256 MB - VRAM

Of course, that's simplifying it greatly but it's accurate enough to make the point; if you've got a graphics card with 1 GB VRAM you'll never be able to touch more than ~2.7GB of memory regardless of how much memory you've got installed, so increasing the amount of VRAM available in the system (Somehow) would just be shooting yourself in the foot in this case.

I am having this same issue, but get this. The game was running fine at first, but due to intermittent choppy game play at the highest resolution, I decided to uninstall some games to free some hard drive space, updated and run AVG, updated Zone alarm (just as routine), run disk clean up, and run defrag. Then this started happening after. Odd. I hope this helps someone figure out a solution. I am going to try and turn off AVG, zone alarm, and reinstall.

Intel 2 2.13 CPUs : 4GB RAM : ATI Radeon 5800 series, 1GB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last