Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Duration of game? How long does it take to complete?

I love doing all the side quest and exploring along the way but I would hope for over 15 hours on initial playthrough. I like there to be alot to do in areas rather than just big sections that you run through and no matter how beautiful the scenery is you have to be in the areas long enough to take it all in.

I'd hope for 12-15 hours. The recent TR's were over far too fast and my excitement turned to sadness I had finnished the games when I was really getting into them.

Sticking strictly to just advancing the story the game should take around 10 hours, which is exactly the same for me as with Okami (1st playthrough figuring stuff out, exploring and getting everydarnthing took 40 something hours). I am hoping that if the story takes 10 hrs then exploring and collecting will take double that at the very least - so 20ish hours perhaps?

I'll never forget seeing the save file counter in The Last Revelation where it stated how many days and hours you spent on a particular file. Days. Days, as in 24 hours. It was thrilling seeing that.

Did you Know!

Hey guys did you know that this new TR game that is supposed to be coming out is only supposed to be about 12-15 hours of play time depending upon how you play the game. Now that to me seam too short of a game. Aren't we talking about the game taking only about a day or two to beat.

I am sorry if I upset anyone but I don't like the idea of buying a game that only takes me a day or two to beat. It is a $60.00 game it should at lest take 100 to 120 hours to beat the game. Which should give you about a week worth of game play depending upon the player.

I know it is hard and takes a lot of work to make games but they had about 2 years or more they haven been working on this game. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the prof I got from the sit: http://http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/
    [ November 26th 2012 ]

Karl Stewart, Global Brand Director for Crystal Dynamics, has taken to Twitter to answer questions on Tomb Raider. According to a series of tweets, combat will be an improvement on Tomb Raider Underworld, secrets will feature in the game, Tomb Raider will have a midnight launch and gamers can expect 12-15hr from start to finish depending on play style.

Tomb Raider is being developed by Redwood City based studio Crystal Dynamics and tells the story of a young and inexperienced Lara Croft who finds out just how far she must go in order to stay alive. The game is scheduled to release on March 5, 2013.

More On: Tomb Raider

Edited: To me there are 24hours in a day. I now that I can not play all 24 hours in a day you need to eat, sleep, use the restroom and finished thing that have to be done. when I say a game should take 100 hours to 120 hours worth of play that is only about 4 to 5 days worth of play which is about one week of game play depending upon your play style.

How is a 30 hour game long. To me that is only about two days and something hours of play. Would someone please explain to me what is 24 hours mean to you in a game.

12-15 hours seems fair, I expect this game has more to offer than TRU.

that sounds a few hours more than most shooters length.

yes, they said it will be 10+, which is a good amount of time to play. if you rush through, then of course its short. take your time, you will get more hours out.
    over 100hours. thats really long. i never spend that much time for one game. not even for age of empires or mass effect.
    signature image

Hmmm idk but seems to be a normal time for games these days. although i also think its pretty short

when i remember that i spend over 140 hours on zelda twilight princess to see really every hidden cave, place ect.
    http://hiropon056.deviantart.com/ Do it like a Dudette! signature image

10+ hours is the quoted time - and it's far, far too short for a TR game. It should be twice that at minimum.

But with that said - 100+ hours is a pipe dream. TR1 or TR2 would only take 30-40 hours, tops - and that's a more than reasonable length, IMO.
    signature image

Respect your opinion, cause I have a similar one, IMO games should tick around 22 : 25hrs, those are the best for me, but I can stick with +12hrs games, cause I believe that this is fair.

On the other hand I don't buy any game with less than 12hrs campaign, cause I feel it's a rip off, I end up buying it later on or buying it used.

100hrs gameplay is something I don't support, cause I believe after such very long time the plot would become diluted, most of the story would be fillers, and the game would fall apart in my eyes, cause I am a person who cares about Story more than anything, that's why I didn't get into Skyriem, heck even Assassin's Creed isn't 100hrs, it's around 25 to 30hrs, and it's pretty good game, makes you play alot after you finish too.

That is just my opinion.

For me, it's costing £72 (ATM) and I really don't care about the playtime. I would love to sit and play it start to finish, but I simply can't, which is fine. Plus I really don't think that 12 - 15+ includes the hours that some of us will spend looking at the views
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    10+ hours is the quoted time - and it's far, far too short for a TR game. It should be twice that at minimum.

But with that said - 100+ hours is a pipe dream. TR1 or TR2 would only take 30-40 hours, tops - and that's a more than reasonable length, IMO.
    On my first playthrough of TR1, I finished it in about 10 hours.
    On my first playthrough of TR2, I reached Floating islands in about 10 hours, so i'm going to take 20 more hours trying to beat that level?

No TR game took me more than 12 hours to beat.

Also, it is impossible to know how long TR9 is, no matter how much the developer claims, it's impossible to know.
    We all have to see it ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_kain View Post

100hrs gameplay is something I don't support, cause I believe after such very long time the plot would become diluted, most of the story would be fillers, and the game would fall apart in my eyes, cause I am a person who cares about Story more than anything, that's why I didn't get into Skyriem, heck even Assassin's Creed isn't 100hrs, it's around 25 to 30hrs, and it's pretty good game, makes you play alot after you finish too.

That is just my opinion.

pretty much that.
    i spend actually 30+ hours with mass effect 1 because i really tried to find everything, upgrade weapons, etc. and after several play throughs i discovered more- and other stuff.

@klona
    it is possible to know for a developer how long a game takes to play. if someone takes 4 hours to play main missions only instead of the 10 hours the developers claim, then something must have gone really wrong here.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    @klona
    it is possible to know for a developer how long a game takes to play. if someone takes 4 hours to play main missions only instead of the 10 hours the developers claim, then something must have gone really wrong here. [/COLOR]
    But you might never know if the developer is just exaggerating or anything.
    But I really hope the game does really have 12-15 hours of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Klona View Post
    But you might never know if the developer is just exaggerating or anything.
    But I really hope the game does really have 12-15 hours of gameplay.
    could be but i think its unlikely with this one. CD seams to be working hard to deliver us with a 10+ hour game. karl said so him self in interviews that people pay good money for it and they should get something for it.
    http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/06/aj-e...raider-square/

but lets hope anyway it will not be less then 10 hours. not like bad games like homefront that are really 4-5 hours long
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Icetea View Post
    Hey guys did you know that this new TR game that is supposed to be coming out is only supposed to be about 12-15 hours of play time depending upon how you play the game. Now that to me seam too short of a game. Aren't we talking about the game taking only about a day or two to beat.

I am sorry if I upset anyone but I don't like the idea of buying a game that only takes me a day or two to beat. It is a $60.00 game it should at lest take 100 to 120 hours to beat the game. Which should give you about a week worth of game play depending upon the player.
    Have you played any games from the past ten years? With the exception of strategy games like Total War and perhaps a few other exceptions, 12-15 hours is very generous for a game these days...

I beat TR2 in 13 hours and that was no speed run and I didn't leave much left to pick up on a second go as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe because I'm not a gamer, but 12-15 hours seems reasonable to me. Originally, Karl said 10+ hours. If you explore, or really take your time, you could probably stretch that time.

pretty much that.
    i spend actually 30+ hours with mass effect 1 because i really tried to find everything, upgrade weapons, etc. and after several play throughs i discovered more- and other stuff.
    I welcome games that adds hrs through exploration like Dishonored, you can read books on Technology Y, or read diaries of Character X, so you get a better knowing of the world and characters without forcing it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_kain View Post
    I welcome games that adds hrs through exploration like Dishonored, you can read books on Technology Y, or read diaries of Character X, so you get a better knowing of the world and characters without forcing it on you.

especially in the myst games. man, there was a lot to read.
    yes, games like deus ex HR, dishonored, etc, really stretch the length of a game with some small extras.
    hell, even doom 3 has these PDA you can read all the uninteresting crap if you want. i just quick read for the codes.
    i think we might have something similar in TR as well like some scrolls that explain the history of the island.
    signature image

The last official statement from a Crystal Habit Podcast was 10+ hours. Does anyone have a direct link to that supposed Tweet from Karl where he said that the completion time is now 12-15 hours?

---

@Icetea: There's already a thread on this, so I'm merging it

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    The last official statement from a Crystal Habit Podcast was 10+ hours. Does anyone have a direct link to that supposed Tweet from Karl where he said that the completion time is now 12-15 hours?

---

@Icetea: There's already a thread on this, so I'm merging it
    Tomb Raider ‏@tombraider

“@Ste7enR: @tombraider @crystaldkarl how long will the game be?? #TombRaider” <- 12 to 15 + depending on your play style.
    https://twitter.com/tombraider

Hope this helps, Driber

Exclamation

Final Fantasy VII is one of the most successful and talked about videogames to this day, and it can take 30 hours to just beat the story. and that may be an rpg, but videogame length is universally connected. there's no such thing as a "too long" campaign. No adventure game has reached that threshold. Even THE LONGEST JOURNEY wasn't too long. if anything it wasn't long enough. And look at TES Oblivion, TES V S K Y R I M, people poured 300 hours into the gameplay (and more). Well they did say this Tomb Raider is 12-15 hours, that seems kind of decent considering this series tends to have more gameplay than a Metal Gear Solid (if you were to cut out the MGS cutscenes). I would play Tomb Raider in a realistic and more natural place, so maybe first playthrough might reach 16 hours depending on things, the openness, the amount of things to do, rewards, etc. And of course replay value is equally important too in design, alongside length and content.

especially in the myst games. man, there was a lot to read.
    yes, games like deus ex HR, dishonored, etc, really stretch the length of a game with some small extras.
    hell, even doom 3 has these PDA you can read all the uninteresting crap if you want. i just quick read for the codes.
    i think we might have something similar in TR as well like some scrolls that explain the history of the island.
    I love it as long as it is optional, not a forced thing where you get a mission to go somewhere to read something to keep making the story longer.

As for TR I hope it's longtivity comes from Tombs, finding hidden tombs, exploring them, and in the process getting to know more about the tribes of the island, heck even DLCs can add more Tombs, maybe finding more survivors, or being forced into escaping one, ..................etc

Exclamation

they have been keeping the tombs details secret, so maybe they are very complex, massive, non linear, and besides puzzles, could have a lot of enviornmental challenges to test one's jumping, balancing, and climbing skills, some having different solutions to reach areas. As for DLC expansions, that challenge tomb DLC could be a start. Look at Castlevania Harmony of Despair, it's Chapter 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 DLC added more chapters (stages), and each one had it's own enviornmental challenges, layouts and solutions.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast