Page 7 of 7 First First ... 34567

Thread: TECHNICAL/All Platforms - Q&As - Controls, Cheats, Command Screen, Saves, Loads

TECHNICAL/All Platforms - Q&As - Controls, Cheats, Command Screen, Saves, Loads

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Definitely not seen the issues you guys reporting before. As you can imagine with it being right at the beginning of the game if it was a universal issue then everyone would be reporting, but as many are not having this issue its down to something else.. Do you get `crashdumps` generated? if so these will be available to the dev guys to look through, which i know they are.
    If you mean these...
    Code:
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_10_20C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_13_23C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_16_33C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_27_58C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_32_7C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_35_15C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_45_6C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T8_51_22C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_15_31C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_20_0C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_26_27C1.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_28_25C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_32_56C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_49_7C0.mdmp
    dxhr_618_crash_2011_8_23T9_9_4C0.mdmp
    files then yeah they are being generated.

I have an odd network setup so I will go simplify it for another crash just to make sure they are getting there.

Definitely not seen the issues you guys reporting before. As you can imagine with it being right at the beginning of the game if it was a universal issue then everyone would be reporting, but as many are not having this issue its down to something else.. Do you get `crashdumps` generated? if so these will be available to the dev guys to look through, which i know they are.
    There're a few more reporting the same issue on the Steam forums. The game doesn't show anything other that the application has stopped working, and it closes.

The dumps are in the game directory, but I do not see Steam or the game trying to send this data to anywhere. Are you suggesting we should send these somewhere? cause otherwise, I don't know how else they may find out about this issue.

Well that's odd. I disabled my proxy and now it works perfectly! All I had before was a simply proxy connection for HTTP going to a squid server running on a linux machine in my room. I haven't really gotten far but I didn't crash after the elevator and got to complete a tutorial that I hadn't even been able to get to previously.

I'll go play some more... for science.

Originally Posted by khiron
    There're a few more reporting the same issue on the Steam forums. The game doesn't show anything other that the application has stopped working, and it closes.

The dumps are in the game directory, but I do not see Steam or the game trying to send this data to anywhere. Are you suggesting we should send these somewhere? cause otherwise, I don't know how else they may find out about this issue.
    if the game crashes and creates a dump (sounds so dodgy dont it?) these get uploaded back to steam if they can, so we can access them.

Originally Posted by Kazurik
    Well that's odd. I disabled my proxy and now it works perfectly! All I had before was a simply proxy connection for HTTP going to a squid server running on a linux machine in my room. I haven't really gotten far but I didn't crash after the elevator and got to complete a tutorial that I hadn't even been able to get to previously.

I'll go play some more... for science.
    Interesting... dont think many people run proxies at home
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

if the game crashes and creates a dump (sounds so dodgy dont it?) these get uploaded back to steam if they can, so we can access them.

Interesting... dont think many people run proxies at home
    I have a pointlessly complicated system. It's essentially there so I can do school related work that requires processing data on a set of web pages and squid has a really nice cache feature which speeds up testing a lot.

That's curious, I do also have a proxy server here, but I also know a friend who does have the same proxy software and he hasn't had any issues yet.

Regarding the dumps, I haven't seen any activity with outbound traffic, Steam hasn't really done much other than some small data checks (nothing bigger than 10k and its been quite a while before the last one went out). But then again, I do not know how this works, but I think I'd be able to tell if the dumps were being uploaded (150kb of data is easy to read).

I'll do more testings with and without the proxy to see what I can find out.

I have a pointlessly complicated system. It's essentially there so I can do school related work that requires processing data on a set of web pages and squid has a really nice cache feature which speeds up testing a lot.
    That's curious, I do also have a proxy server here, but I also know a friend who does have the same proxy software and he hasn't had any issues yet.

Regarding the dumps, I haven't seen any activity with outbound traffic, Steam hasn't really done much other than some small data checks (nothing bigger than 10k and its been quite a while before the last one went out). But then again, I do not know how this works, but I think I'd be able to tell if the dumps were being uploaded (150kb of data is easy to read).

I'll do more testings with and without the proxy to see what I can find out.
    Let us know if that helps re the proxies..

With the proxy disabled I have made it all the way past the opening credits and am now standing around in a lobby crash free! I'm surprised that was the issue but it would certainly explain why so few people were having this issue. Time to get a good hour of gaming in till I have to leave for class!

With the proxy disabled I have made it all the way past the opening credits and am now standing around in a lobby crash free! I'm surprised that was the issue but it would certainly explain why so few people were having this issue. Time to get a good hour of gaming in till I have to leave for class!
    Tis definitely a very strange thing..

I can confirm I'm also having no issues after disabling the proxy. However, I enabled the proxy back up, while still inside the game, and now I'm on the part after Sarif gives us a mission (in a helicopter). So far I haven't crashed again.

I'll do some more testings and post in a bit later. I'll enable the proxy back to see if it makes the game crash again.

--

Btw, if someone with access to post on the Steam forums is reading this, please link them to this post, or tell them to check if they have a proxy enabled. If they do, suggest them to DISABLE it, and try to see if they keep crashing.

I can confirm I'm also having no issues after disabling the proxy. However, I enabled the proxy back up, while still inside the game, and now I'm on the part after Sarif gives us a mission (in a helicopter). So far I haven't crashed again.

I'll do some more testings and post in a bit later. I'll enable the proxy back to see if it makes the game crash again.

--

Btw, if someone with access to post on the Steam forums is reading this, please link them to this post, or tell them to check if they have a proxy enabled. If they do, suggest them to DISABLE it, and try to see if they keep crashing.
    Will update the original post on here, could you give tiny bit of detail, or would just stating, "disable any 3rd part proxy servers on your machine" cover it?

Just a question. Do you use the proxy with Internet Explorer? As far as I know, if a proxy is set on Internet Explorer, whichever other application that makes a request to the web via the Windows API, will pickup the same proxy settings (unless it can handle its own connections different, such as Firefox).

I had my proxy set on Internet Explorer, cause I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and Chrome uses the same settings that Internet Explorer does (they cannot be set separately, unless you make a special launch setting, which I find kinda annoying).

Just a question. Do you use the proxy with Internet Explorer? As far as I know, if a proxy is set on Internet Explorer, whichever other application that makes a request to the web via the Windows API, will pickup the same proxy settings (unless it can handle its own connections different, such as Firefox).

I had my proxy set on Internet Explorer, cause I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and Chrome uses the same settings that Internet Explorer does (they cannot be set separately, unless you make a special launch setting, which I find kinda annoying).
    Also in our office we have all our net traffic go through a proxy but we dont get affected, so its not just `having a proxy` am assuming, but a specific way its ran?

Quicksave/quickload seems to be missing in the controls menu but F5 / F8 does work.

Will update the original post on here, could you give tiny bit of detail, or would just stating, "disable any 3rd part proxy servers on your machine" cover it?
    Here's what I did:

I went to Internet Explorer and removed the Proxy settings. To be more specific, I went to Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and disabled the option "Use a proxy server for your LAN". This effectively makes Internet Explorer (and the Windows API) to not use any Proxy settings, and connect directly without filtering.

I can confirm that is not necessary to disable local proxies, or in other words, they can still be kept running (in case other computers int he LAN also use it). The problem simply was on the fact that Internet Explorer was using a proxy, one at all. I'm not positive if it happens with an external proxy, one outside your network, but I didn't have to disable my proxy software at all to make the crashes stop.

I'm testing right now, with the proxy on Internet Explorer enabled once more, just to confirm altogether if it's this setting that's causing the crashes.

So weird.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

I created a little batch file that will rename the ati remnant dll's that might exist and cause DXHR to crash. Figured this'd be faster than making some fancy clickable desktop app to do it.

Remember, DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE USING AN ATI GRAPHICS CARD, THIS FIX IS FOR NVIDIA CARDS.

AGAIN, DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU USE ATI. THIS WILL ONLY FIX THE atiadlxx/xy BUG.

It should work for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as it attempts to rename both types of file.

I accept no blame if things break, but otherwise, here it is: mod removed

Hope it helps.

edit: If you're worried it might contain a virus or something, please, view the code in notepad. Better to be safe!

Also in our office we have all our net traffic go through a proxy but we dont get affected, so its not just `having a proxy` am assuming, but a specific way its ran?
    I'm not sure.

I'll be more specific and let you know I'm running Privoxy, which is an ad-filtering proxy server (pretty nifty tool, never had issues 'til now). Its function is to run a local proxy server, which will redirect any traffic you request but will prevent ads from reaching them, eliminating the URLs that contain ads or any predefined patterns. All I had to do is to tell IE to not use it, and the problem was solved.

Perhaps a pattern loaded in the proxy is preventing some data from coming in? Which is still weird, I don't see why it would send any requests while inside the game.

Originally Posted by Meredith the Tiny Wah
    I created a little batch file that will rename the ati remnant dll's that might exist and cause DXHR to crash. Figured this'd be faster than making some fancy clickable desktop app to do it.

Remember, DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE USING AN ATI GRAPHICS CARD, THIS FIX IS FOR NVIDIA CARDS.

AGAIN, DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU USE ATI. THIS WILL ONLY FIX THE atiadlxx/xy BUG.

It should work for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as it attempts to rename both types of file.

I accept no blame if things break, but otherwise, here it is: mod removed

Hope it helps.

edit: If you're worried it might contain a virus or something, please, view the code in notepad. Better to be safe!
    Hi there, appreciate you are just trying to help, but as official forums we cannot endorse people posting unknown files to try and help (and annoyingly i cannot download to check it out as its blocked by our firewall).. so i've removed the link for the time being..

Hi there, appreciate you are just trying to help, but as official forums we cannot endorse people posting unknown files to try and help (and annoyingly i cannot download to check it out as its blocked by our firewall).. so i've removed the link for the time being..
    Fair enough. The content of that file is, so people can just locate the specific files they need themselves:

Code:
    echo -- Attempting to fix Deus Ex: Human Revolution --
    sleep 1
    echo -- Moving ATI/AMD DLL Remnants --
    sleep 1
    echo -- Windows XP, Vista, 7 with 32-bit CPU --
    sleep 2
    move C:\Windows\System32\atiadlxy.dll C:\Windows\System32\atiadlxy.bak
    move C:\Windows\System32\atiadlxx.dll C:\Windows\System32\atiadlxx.bak
    echo -- Windows XP, Vista, 7 with 64-bit CPU --
    sleep 2
    move C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiadlxy.dll C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiadlxy.bak
    move C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiadlxx.dll C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiadlxx.bak
    echo -- All done, you may now close this window --
    sleep 5
    Technically, all you need to do if you're having the 'ati crash' is to rename those four files and that's the locations they should be at.

Is that better, Jay?

Fair enough. The content of that file is, so people can just locate the specific files they need themselves:

Code:
    sleep 1
    sleep 1
    sleep 2
    sleep 2
    sleep 5
    Technically, all you need to do if you're having the 'ati crash' is to rename those four files and that's the locations they should be at.

Is that better, Jay?
    Brilliant.. appreciate your making it as easy as obviously we're working on the backend to see if can find a way to resolve this without people having to do that

Code:
    sleep 1
    sleep 1
    sleep 2
    sleep 2
    sleep 5

Is that better, Jay?
    I just would like to mention that not everyone has their installation on c:\windows, you may change that to "%WINDIR%".

Jay,

I tried to see if the crashes could come back after enabling back the proxy server on Internet Explorer, and yes, the crashes returned. After disabling it on IE, the game went back to normal. Tested it 3 times just to eliminate chances.

Proxy servers, what would you know? O_o

Sorry for not posting in a while the ghost achievement sucked me in! I to use a proxy in chrome just like Khiron and the setup is pretty simple. I'll post some pictures of my setup.

Internet Properties:

Super advanced proxy settings:

I'm off to class so I won't be able to test anything, if you need us to, for a few hours.

No worries.. enjoy class

Originally Posted by AlexanderPimm
    guess what found the file atiadlxy.dll deleted and it brought up a window about my specs on my computer thank you sir

game has launched! (^_^) turns out that file was the issue it launched just fine
    Hell yeh!!

was it in the syswow folder?
    funny, cuz I'm still having issues.....

*Moderator Edit*

This thread is closed due to a new sticky thread created here:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119698

Page 7 of 7 First First ... 34567