Thread: Region Locks (see 1st post for summary of Q&As): Official - No lock for UK/EUR/US/AUS

Region Locks (see 1st post for summary of Q&As): Official - No lock for UK/EUR/US/AUS

I just discovered that German magazine PC Games also picked it up and dedicated an article about in which they also link to this thread right here. http://www.pcgames.de/Deus-Ex-3-Huma...medown-839762/

gamer.no as well. Several mention cancelling their preorders in the comments thread.

It's also striking how terrible this whole thing has been handled. The information has been so messy that people everywhere are seriously confused - people are worried that the version they've ordered won't have the language they want and are cancelling over that, people are cancelling their digital download preorders, and so on. Retailers have no idea if what they're selling will work for their customers.

This is a publisher failing at what the primary task of a publisher is.

sorry for repeat my question, i made the preorder of the augmented edition from Impulse, they already charged the value of the game. Today I tested trying to buy the game again and it says that ins't available in my location, that means that I cant get the game?
    thanks.
    PD: I live in South America.

Originally Posted by SethSteiner
    To be honest, I think you're seeing to negative here. Why shouldn't the EU look into this matter? Video games are a freakin big business. From terms of sales on the same level as movies, music or literature. And even if it would something small that you could use the term "just", the EU also handles the "just" things. The law is for everyone and everything and no, the corporations don't have more power than the government. Microsoft had to pay, Apple had to pay and maybe Square Enix will pay now. Don't underestimate the power of politics.
    Also it is not just some law. Free Trade is the foundation on which the EU (or the EEC before) was build. Free Trade is one of the 4 freedoms of the EU, like a constitutional right.

Treaty on the functioning of the European Union

Article 101

The following shall be prohibited as incompatible with the internal market: all agreements
    between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings and concerted practices which may
    affect trade between Member States and which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction
    or distortion of competition within the internal market
    , and in particular those which:
    (a) directly or indirectly fix purchase or selling prices or any other trading conditions;
    (b) limit or control production, markets, technical development, or investment;
    (c) share markets or sources of supply;
    (d) apply dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions with other trading parties, thereby placing
    them at a competitive disadvantage;
    (e) make the conclusion of contracts subject to acceptance by the other parties of supplementary
    obligations which, by their nature or according to commercial usage, have no connection with the
    subject of such contracts.
    (...)
    There is a Commissioner for Competition to enforce those laws (and who is according to BBC one of the most powerful Commissioners and a highly regarded position in the European Commission) and they normally don't mess around when it comes to fines, they charged Microsoft €497 million for including its Windows Media Player with the Microsoft Windows platform.

cya
    Tycho
    signature image

I'm glad that more press is giving attention to this situation.

The issue is much bigger than just Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It sets a grave precedent, and if it "sticks", I'm sure more releases by this and other publishers will follow with similar illegal restrictions to citizens of other EU state members.

And regarding whether the EU will give this issue any attention or not, I'm sure if a significant amount of people contacts them and other local customer rights institutions about this, they will surely act, or at the very least inquire Square-Enix Europe about this.
    They did so for much lesser things, and to much bigger institutions than Square-Enix Europe. And as Tycho already pointed out, they surely don't kid around when it comes to fines.

Keep contacting the proper channels about this. Don't let this issue die down, which is what Square-Enix clearly wants.

I would guess that Squere Enix will just drop the whole region locking if they fear to face an EC Competion investigation because that will cost them a ton of money, a lot more than they are trying to make with with .

cya
    Tycho
    signature image

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zorvan
    Yes, all digital titles and the benefits that come with them are region free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunktionJCB
    Yes, except none of the digital versions include the bonus downloadable content.

So if I buy the digital U.K. version, I can't get any of the preorder goodies here in the US????

Without Internet, it's still possible to buy the game and not ever be able to play it.

Gone are the days of "only" needing the game, computer, cables, controllers, and monitor, and the electricity to run them.

Makes you remember fondly the days of buying a game and not needing corporate approval doesn't it? Of course pirates never need corporate approval for anything, only paying customers get hassled.

Shame.

Another day and no answer from SE. Well i will wait for one more day and if there won't be any resolution to this problem, I will cancel my preorder on GAME.co.uk. It will be first cancelled order by me to them in 6 years. What a shame because they always provided best service for me to get goods I need and can't get in my country.

Well hell. Is the US Amazon.com special version still playable in Australia?!?! Will cancel if not!

Originally Posted by Tycho
    I would guess that Squere Enix will just drop the whole region locking if they fear to face an EC Competion investigation because that will cost them a ton of money, a lot more than they are trying to make with with .
    See, I think this is precisely the reason S-E waited until a week before release to announce it. That way, they'll have at least a few weeks of region locked sales until the bureaucracy rolls in and then they can say "Oooh. This is against the law? We had no idea. Of course we'll lift the region lock. Give us a week or two to make the neccessary arrangements."

I for one are not here to call for a boycott, I just want to find a way to play DXHR the way the developer intended their most loyal fans to play it. Shame I have to game the system to be able to appreciate what Eidos have done for us.

Originally Posted by bebop460
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zorvan
    Yes, all digital titles and the benefits that come with them are region free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunktionJCB
    Yes, except none of the digital versions include the bonus downloadable content.

So if I buy the digital U.K. version, I can't get any of the preorder goodies here in the US????
    Yep, no Preorder goodies in digital versions AT ALL. Which means in the US you can't have a complete version at all-

Btw Why are we still not getting an official statement by Square-Enix.?

I asked the support for a statement on that, and guess what? No reply! Of course. And if there is one, I mean maybe they're simply busy, I guess it will be : you need to order in your region...

Originally Posted by Olemars
    This is a publisher failing at what the primary task of a publisher is.
    Yep. Its not even funny.

Well, my UK pre-order is being refunded (thanks ozgameshop). Will I be buying another copy from somewhere else? No. I'm hardly upset by it, but I just don't agree with the region locking concept. Especially in this case, where the excuse is so weak. Can't fit the languages on one disc? Then why not package all the US english and UK english copies onto one version instead of splitting it over 2? And before you tell me that 2 languages on a disc won't work, they are bundling english and french together, so that's not a believable excuse. Consider this a lost sale (though I doubt they care).

Originally Posted by iNeedzHelp
    Well, my UK pre-order is being refunded (thanks ozgameshop). Will I be buying another copy from somewhere else? No. I'm hardly upset by it, but I just don't agree with the region locking concept. Especially in this case, where the excuse is so weak. Can't fit the languages on one disc? Then why not package all the US english and UK english copies onto one version instead of splitting it over 2? And before you tell me that 2 languages on a disc won't work, they are bundling english and french together, so that's not a believable excuse. Consider this a lost sale (though I doubt they care).
    Same here.
    Normally a DX game would be the last game I don't support but I'll not buy a german/french package or a locked game just to put it in my shelf.

Looking at all the great innovations from the publishers (drm, steam forced, regions locked) ... who still wonders that PC sales are not working well on games ?

Fact is that I am reading such statements from many many people in various places, they will lose a lot of money (and already did)

Thumbs Down

Cancelled my pre-order.

The most outrageous thing is how they are keeping quiet right now, not even a short statement like: "We're working out a deal to make UK copies EU compatible."

And no, they probably are not working to make up for it right now, but "damage control"

I'm not buying it anymore, and I bought a new pc a couple months back just for this game.

In game advertising was one thing, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I wish more companies would be like CD projekt (Witcher series)

You know what they did with their latest game Witcher 2 ?
    * The digital copy they sold was always DRM free.
    * After a few weeks they supplied a patch which completely removed the DRM from retail game installations.
    * All DLC is free.

And from what I read the pure PC release of this game was a real success.
    And yea, they got sued by their publisher I hope they win the case.

Originally Posted by Lirezh
    and if they will lose I will gladly send the full retail price money to their bank account so that publisher doesn't get anything.

Originally Posted by Crysis85
    I received a response from the European commission (wow that was fast!)
    Basically they say that Square Enix is in his right to sell to whichever country they decided to sell since their is not a predominant position on the market and I quote "There is no EU competition law rule that would oblige private undertakings to market the same range of products or services in all EU Member States."
    It seems you haven't stated that they were taking actions to forbid import/export between EU countries with the region lock. From you quote, what they understood is that the product isn't sold in some countries (which would be legal, you can't force one company to sell everywhere worldwide), but that is not the case, it is sold in all countries, but they forbid you to buy it in an other.

Originally Posted by Crysis85
    "There is no EU competition law rule that would oblige private undertakings to market the same range of products or services in all EU Member States."
    This is definitely okay said like that, but what they obviously don't know, is that they took measures to forbid you to use an imported product, which may be illegal.

tldr : I think you screwed up your mail, or that they read it in diagonal. Mind sharing it here (remove your personal informations) ?
    It may be hard to believe, but this game is actually good. The lack of melee weapons is still a real pain in the ass though.

Originally Posted by Lirezh
    I wish more companies would be like CD projekt (Witcher series)

You know what they did with their latest game Witcher 2 ?
    * The digital copy they sold was always DRM free.
    * After a few weeks they supplied a patch which completely removed the DRM from retail game installations.
    * All DLC is free.

And from what I read the pure PC release of this game was a real success.
    CD Pojekt/GOG are even cooler than that:
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/...r_region/page1

(relevant to region restrictions)

We’ve come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues with using a customer’s IP address to determine what offer they are being presented with from GOG.com. A good number of users can find themselves negatively impacted by a policy of using geo IP to set their region.

For example, customers may be travelling when they want to purchase or download a game from GOG.com. In this case, automatic IP address capture might change the price or the content of the game they’re ordering (such as the default language of the installer). Further, geo IP data collection is not always right. IP addresses are not a perfect or unique identifier of location, and can report the incorrect region of users, particularly ones who are not using standard Internet connections. Finally, we’re always very sensitive of our users’ privacy. Effective privacy protections for our users means that any data that we don’t need to collect, we shouldn’t. We only need to know the country that you’re making this purchase from, so although we originally planned to use geo-IP to determine user’s location, we’ve decided to trust our users and let them inform us as to the correct region for their purchase.

Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."

The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.
    Read SE, READ!!!!!

Page 27 of 39 First First ... 1723242526272829303137 ... Last