Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: Re-Release - HD or Remake

Re-Release - HD or Remake

Re-Release - HD or Remake

I understand that Final Fantasy VIII might not have been as popular as many of the other games in the Final Fantasy series, but would anyone hypothetically be interested in the game being released in HD if it were possible? I've really been in the mood of playing the PSone classic Final Fantasy games and this crossed my mind.

I would absolutely love to play a more polished version of FFVIII. I don't think the game gets as much credit as it deserves.

However, I don't think it's possible for any of the PSOne titles to be "HD"d due to how they were made. They'd have to essentially redo each background as opposed to taking something like FFX and just throwing some nicer textures ontop of the existing models.

You definitely have a point there. It would be pretty neat if Final Fantasy VIII were to be completely re-done. I also feel that it is a game that doesn't get the credit that it deserves. LOL, maybe one day we'll get lucky.

Well, I don't an HD upscale happening without them redoing all the assets -- and that's mainly because most of the PS1 generation games made heavy use of pre-rendered backgrounds.

If they're going to do that, might as well remake the game. ;D

If the process for games such as Metal Gear Solid or God of War are any indication, they would most likely have to redo the entire game from the ground up in order to make it work on another console that it was not natively made for.

If nothing else, I imagine that the remake of Final Fantasy X for the Vita could be easily seen as 'testing grounds' for the purchasing viability (it did sell quite a bit over in Japan) of remaking classic SE games...

The PS2 tech demo was definitely nice. I'd personally rather have something like that than a remaster.

I'd buy it, Final Fantasy VIII was my favorite and plus it was the 1st Final Fantasy that I came to own. Any updated HD Final Fantasys' would be great.

I would also buy an HD remake of VIII in a heartbeat on 360 or PS3.

I don't think an HD remaster would be possible, as I'm not sure what quality the original assets are.

However, I'd love something along the lines of the Ocarina of Time remake, which was really more of a polish than a full remake. Give the main characters better models, new pre-renders, but still essentially the same game. That'd be nice.

Originally Posted by Ksquall
    I understand that Final Fantasy VIII might not have been as popular as many of the other games in the Final Fantasy series, but would anyone hypothetically be interested in the game being released in HD if it were possible? I've really been in the mood of playing the PSone classic Final Fantasy games and this crossed my mind.
    I would love to since it's my favourite of all the Final Fantasy games.

I'm glad that so many people would like to see it remade.

Yup it is an amazing game for it's time. I would love to see it remade. Actually just got to disc 3 yesterday since I felt like replaying it again. XD Def my all time favorite.

I'd definitely support something like this, but like a lot of other people have said, a remake would probably be in order owing to the major polygon issues/rendering issues that would occur.

To be honest, I'd love to see the game in the older 3D fashion (like the old cut scenes from FFVIII) because I'm a nostalgic sort of person. Squall depicted in Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts was okay, but Squall (and the rest of the gang) all done up to the nines for a more realistic look just sort of makes me go, "..."

Not sure if that made any sense.

I guess I'm just saying that if it ever got remade, I wouldn't want things to look super realistic.

I agree with Alth, I like the character models that are in the game, if there was an HD version I hope they would be similar.

Would love to see an HD version, VIII is one of my favorite FF games.

Wish there was a school like Balamb Garden!

I really don't think he means remake as in them starting over and messing with the storyline and characters, I believe he means what they are doing with FFX and just remastering the game with updated technology and staying the same with the gameplay and storyline.

Originally Posted by imported_Summoner

I really don't think he means remake as in them starting over and messing with the storyline and characters, I believe he means what they are doing with FFX and just remastering the game with updated technology and staying the same with the gameplay and storyline.

Bingo.

As nice as HD remasters of great FFs like 8 and 9 would be, I would much rather Square put their effort in to putting out new games. Like, say, get Versus out since they've been working on it for 6 years.

I just find it odd they call FFXIII:Versus a part of FFXIII, I mean why couldn't they call it FFXV. :P

I vote name change to Final Fantasy XV. *raises hand*

Me too, me too!! I don't see the resemblance to FFXIII anyways. I would be ok about it being the same # if it was the same world as XIII but as far as I can see it's not.

I believe they named it that because they started it before xiii. Also, it uses the same mythology as XIII (gods are Pulse, Etro, and that third one who is escaping me at the moment, Valhalla at time's end, etc) from what I've read. But yeah, I would much rather get new games than have HD remakes

Originally Posted by imported_Summoner

Me too, me too!! I don't see the resemblance to FFXIII anyways. I would be ok about it being the same # if it was the same world as XIII but as far as I can see it's not.

As far as I know all XIII games (XIII, XIII-2, Type-0 and Versus) share the same mythology. All have the same deities and fal'Cie and whatnot.

Oh so they share the same mythology, that's cool to know.

Before they remake/remaster past titles like V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX, they should finish first Versus XIII and XIV 2.0, unless they have more teams and devs (3rd party or not) dedicated to remake past titles like matrix software who remade III and IV for the Nintendo DS

Versus XIII is the responsibility of First Production Department under Tetsuya Nomura. XIV is handled by a different group of people, and any remake/ports would be handled by a different set of people with the help of other outside companies like Matrix Software.

There used to be a grand total of ten development teams, but since people like Yasumi Matsuno and Toshiro Tsuchida have left and the different teams began to merge, we have one big department and a handful of sattelite dev teams and third-party companies.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last