Thread: I never knew the "Lost Island" was based on real history

I never knew the "Lost Island" was based on real history

I never knew the "Lost Island" was based on real history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_holdout

I was just browsing through WW II history on wikipedia and came upon that article. I always thought it was a completely random idea to have 100 year old Japanese soldiers thinking the war was still going on, until I saw that article. Never learned about that in history class. And kudos to wikipedia for including JC 2 in the "in popular culture" section.
    Second best island in the game. My favorite island had to have been the one in the Southeast corner with Pandak Panays dome. Amazing geography riddled with army bases. But now I'm getting off topic....

You can't trust everything you read on Wikipedia. This may be a more accurate account:

"The last known Japanese straggler from the war was found in 1975 in Indonesia." Source: http://www.wanpela.com/holdouts/list.html

That would probably put him in his mid 50s when found, far from the last unsubstantiated claim of holdouts in the Philippines reported in 2005, and very far from JC 2's fictional 100 yr old hold outs.

lol no. I said that the island was "based" on real history, not an actual representation of it. Wikipedia mentions nothing about 100 year old Japanese soldiers, nor would I ever believe a claim like that. Sorry if my message portrayed that meaning. That'd be pretty hilarious though if there were 100 year old soldiers

Originally Posted by mahalomenehune
    That'd be pretty hilarious though if there were 100 year old soldiers
    No kidding, I guess you could call them Guerrilla Geezers.

They blended that with a couple of things from the 'Lost' TV program that used to be on.
    signature image

Japanese soldiers being found may years later wasn't an uncommon occurence with some Iwo Jima survivors being found some 10 to 20 years later.

Originally Posted by Frag Maniac
    No kidding, I guess you could call them Guerrilla Geezers.
    HAH! I'm a sucker for a good pun. Or just a corny little saying.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
    These are mah' glitches.