Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last

Thread: STEAMWORKS - General Discussion & Q&As

STEAMWORKS - General Discussion & Q&As

STEAMWORKS - General Discussion & Q&As

Hi,
    I've got a question: I have no internet connexion at home and I heard that the game will support steamworks; so will an internet connexion be required only to install the game (and I'll be able to play offline at home), or will I need a permanent internet connexion?
    I apologize if there's any mistake, I'm french.
    Thank you!

*moderator edit*

Originally Posted by Coyotegrey
    Curious as to when that Steam pre-load will unlock? Don't fret, dear community. I don't want each of you sitting there at your PC, restarting the client over and over on whatever day your version launches. We appreciate the dedication, but not the frustration.

To clear things up, here's the official list of unlock timings:

Originally Posted by Tecman
    PRELOAD AVAILABLE!

Pre-loading.

Also, in case you have problems, manually force a pre-load by putting this in a browser: steam://install/28050
    __

Q&As

Q: I live in Oklahoma (which is Central time). So does that mean I won't be able to play my game at 12AM midnight? Do I have to wait until 2AM to play (which would be 12AM on the west coast)? My brother bought a physical copy from Gamestop, so he'll be able to get and play his game at midnight.

A: Steam activation is for ALL versions.. disc or digital.. so even if he has a disc copy until its `live on steam` he wont be able to play it..

Originally Posted by OhSorryOldHorse
    question, from a guy purchasing a new released game via Steam for the first time...
    So say I bought the game now, waiting til it's release date...I'll receive my CD key that day to download it right? Or will I receive it when I buy it, and can input it, but not be able to play the game til Steam unlocks it on the 23rd?
    Originally Posted by Acid Burn
    You won't receive any keys. The game just appears in your account. All you have to do is just download it. Or pre-load it now. On the release date Steam will download a little patch so you can play the game. That's it.
    Q: Sorry to intrude, but I'm not sure I correctly understood all this stuff - I pre-ordered a CE from amazon.co.uk, and it was dispatched to me YESTERDAY august 22. I live in Italy, I estimate the package to be delivered by the 25.
    I see that the European release date is the 26th: will I not be able to play until then? If this is the case, why was the game already available yesterday? o_O
    Sorry for the stupid question but I really don't understand.
    Thanks

A: Delivering the game to everyone in the world is not a 5 min job.. each territory gets the boxed copies into their warehouses in advance to allow them to distribute in time for release..
    __

Steam FAQs:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7141-OPGX-5121
    http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Originally Posted by Roulax
    Hi,
    I've got a question: I have no internet connexion at home and I heard that the game will support steamworks; so will an internet connexion be required only to install the game (and I'll be able to play offline at home), or will I need a permanent internet connexion?
    Thank you!
    Steamworks requires a net connection for activation. If you want the extra Steamworks features to work you will need a more or less regularly available connection if not a permanent one. If you desire to play completely offline, after activation you may do so.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Originally Posted by Roulax
    Hi,
    Thank you!
    im 99.9% sure you need a permanent internet connection to play on steam.
    EDIT: too late and i was wrong.... .1% what are the chances of that LOL

Originally Posted by iloveyouXWORLD
    im 99.9% sure you need a permanent internet connection to play on steam.
    This is incorrect. Steam does allow you to play games without an internet connection. As an online-based platform it prefers that you have a net connection but one is not necessary.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

You'll need an Internet connection to activate the game. After that, just run Steam in offline mode.

Thank you for your answers!

Yeah thank god for offline mode
    signature image

You will have to download a big file from steam. I have not seen a single game on steam that didn't make me download at least 100 megs. After that you can run things offline. Just make sure that you start the game and make sure it works in online mode (some get fiddly when you start them for the first time in offline mode.) Also steam seems to need to be connected to the internet anytime you switch to offline, so you can't just switch to offline when you internet drops. You have to switch to offline before then.

Yeah, here is what you need to do:

find a Connections (with good speed), install the game while you are online, start it for the first time, it will most definitely download something. Then turn Steam into Offline mode. After that you don't need an internet connection, but you also cannot patch the game, because that will only work over steam.
    As nomotog said, it is importent that you turn the offline mode on, while you are online, the change does not work if you have no internet connection.

cya
    Tycho
    signature image

if i am not mistaken

net will only be required for download and activation of game
    other than that you should be fine
    but you will not get the achivments from steam

Make sure you have a valid internet connection, When your done click "Offline mode" in steam.
    Otherwise next time you plug it in and it doesn't have an internet connection it will tell you steam cant start because it cant connect.

You need to log off in offline mode, then move it to the place without the internet connection.
    It sucks, I just moved house and got stuck without any games!

Yep! Makes no sense to me.

And people are still gonna buy the pc version? The pc gamers are a weird bunch. How much abuse will u guys take bfr finaly snapping lol
    signature image

Originally Posted by CoDEllite
    And people are still gonna buy the pc version? The pc gamers are a weird bunch. How much abuse will u guys take bfr finaly snapping lol
    not sure if goblin......

Weird. I don't know what Steam and required Internet has to do with PC players when console versions aren't 100% 'Net-free either.

16. Originally Posted by CoDEllite
    What abuse? Does your internet train only come for a few hours each day? Welcome to the future. Give it a couple of years and internet connections will be a requirement for everything, consoles included. And why should anyone care? My phone always has internet. If my computer is on, it has internet. I really just don't see the problem.
    Oft we walk the edge, never afraid, always curious.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    Steamworks requires a net connection for activation. If you want the extra Steamworks features to work you will need a more or less regularly available connection if not a permanent one. If you desire to play completely offline, after activation you may do so.
    So is it finally confirmed that boxed retail versions of this game will require the use of Steam? Everything released by Eidos so far says it "supports" Steam, not that it is mandatory.

Originally Posted by Cerulean Shaman
    And why should anyone care?
    Because many people, although obviously not you, object to the notion that a product which we buy with good money remains subject to the whims of a third party who can monitor it and disable it at their discretion?

Because Steam is little more than an elaborate way to destroy the ability to give, lend or sell games?

Because there is no significant aspect of Deus Ex 3 which actually depends on being on-line?

19. Originally Posted by caitsith01
    Because many people, although obviously not you, object to the notion that a product which we buy with good money remains subject to the whims of a third party who can monitor it and disable it at their discretion?

Because Steam is little more than an elaborate way to destroy the ability to give, lend or sell games?

Because there is no significant aspect of Deus Ex 3 which actually depends on being on-line?
    We get monitored all the time. Each call I make, every word I type in google, ect. It's beyond being a concern. And yes, I suppose in theory they can disable it if they please but in practice it just doesn't happen.

The lend/give/sell point is valid, but merely for now. A couple of years ago Steam and such programs were a joke; now they are the future. New competitors are rising (Relaunched Impulse, Origin, GGG) and new features are being added. GGG lets you resell or trade in digital games and it's gaining popularity; soon Steam will no doubt offer the same to compete. They already know, thanks to EB Games / Gamestop, that it's a money printing machine and all bets are on EB/GS's Impulse offering trade in soon for digital titles.

A few more years and you may even be able to lend games to your friends. It's progress, mate. : P 10 years from now you won't even be able to buy a physical copy of a PC game. Heck, might even be the same for console titles depending on how advanced they get.

The last component is subjective I guess. No, it doesn't need to be online, but it's fairly decent drm without any real hassle like Ubisoft's infamous troubles. I don't think this should bother anyone though.
    Oft we walk the edge, never afraid, always curious.

Imagine no Internet. It's a reality for most humans, and a hell of a lot more than you think in cities. Your not bothered, but you aren't most.

Originally Posted by Cerulean Shaman
    ...It's progress, mate. : P 10 years from now you won't even be able to buy a physical copy of a PC game. Heck, might even be the same for console titles depending on how advanced they get.
    Progress for the sake of progress isn't necessarily a good thing. All that would do, eliminating the existence of physical copies of games, is cut costs at the supply side while lumping us with an aesthetically inferior product. Has nobody learned from the music industry?

Originally Posted by caitsith01
    So is it finally confirmed that boxed retail versions of this game will require the use of Steam? Everything released by Eidos so far says it "supports" Steam, not that it is mandatory.
    It is interesting to note that "internet connection" is not listed as a requirement to run this game.
    http://www.deusex.com/game/reqs
    However, if you look at the bottom of the page there's a Steamworks pane. Part of the text reads "You must activiate this product via the Internet"

So an internet connection is required. This is for ALL versions of the PC game. The minimum internet data is exchanged with a retail copy of the game. The contents of the DVD are installed to your computer and you need an internet connection for :-
    1. activation of the game
    2. download of any release day patches to make the game playable

You never know, but 2. may be ZERO. Unlikey, but a possibility.

Originally Posted by nomotog
    You will have to download a big file from steam. I have not seen a single game on steam that didn't make me download at least 100 megs. After that you can run things offline. Just make sure that you start the game and make sure it works in online mode (some get fiddly when you start them for the first time in offline mode.) Also steam seems to need to be connected to the internet anytime you switch to offline, so you can't just switch to offline when you internet drops. You have to switch to offline before then.
    Often Steam has to install some directories for DirectX, this is required by Microsoft and dependent on how the game uses DirectX. Most of these downloads on start are third party software required to run the game. Though sometimes it can be updates as well.
    Also you should be able to go into off-line mode if you aren't connected.

Originally Posted by caitsith01
    The game uses Steamworks and therefor requires Steam.

STEAMWORKS- Languages

Hi guys,

I have a question. Comes Deus Ex also in German at Steam?
    On Steam, it is only offered in English, but the game will appear in retail in German.

Originally Posted by Hagel
    Hi guys,

I have a question. Comes Deus Ex also in German at Steam?
    On Steam, it is only offered in English, but the game will appear in retail in German.
    Welcome to the forum.

I am unable to answer your question, but did you check the "Multi Language Q&As" thread?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115808
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last