Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KURTIS BACK!!

Oh i hate it when people put down AoD. I really do think it was the best besides TR3. The gameplay was... meh... but the story was so driven and researched I don't think I've ever played a game yet that compares to the storyline of TRAoD, honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Then again, maybe she could find some nicotine patches so she could "breathe stronger now".
    haha

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    But it couldn't just be any old nicotine patch - it'd have to be one specific one out of dozens!
    LoL no doubt, dude. No doubt.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
    Oh i hate it when people put down AoD. I really do think it was the best besides TR3. The gameplay was... meh... but the story was so driven and researched I don't think I've ever played a game yet that compares to the storyline of TRAoD, honestly...
    I have to agree. AOD is my second favorite TR game. The story was to clever and the environments showed such detail. There was such vision to the game that CD have perhaps thus far not matched up to. If you can forgive the awful movement of Lara/Kurtis in the game then it is actually brilliant. Would have loved to see it's sequel but don't think that or a Kurtis return are going to happen.

The new Tomb Raider (as said thousands of times.) is a totally new game! All these characters Lara met in the past, don't exist anymore. They might make an appearance in the future, but I highly doubt it.

i did like kurtis. he was cool and AoD was my second fav, next to underworld (only coz i liked the graphics more and i finished it :L) but everytime one of the characters die i cry. i think its just me being sad.. but if they kill of winston i wont be happy. XD
    My Chemical Romance saves lives! <3

To me, Kurtis wasn't a disapointment because I bought the game around 6 months after its release, so I had already read all the complaints for months. In the end, controls weren't neartly as terrible as people described them. I'd have to agree with Elliot Kane about the character not being finished. You could see that there was more to Kurtis Trent than what was included in the game, and that's such a shame...

I have been playing TR since 1997, and I still think that the AOD plot was the most detailed and interesting plot of all the Tomb Raider games. The story was based on Babylonian myths, on the Bible, on the apocrypha texts, on Milton's Paradise Lost, inspired by Alchemists and the Templar Knights. Every single time I play that game, I discover new details about its inspirations. There was and there still is solid material in there for a game, a novel or a comic book (don't get me started on the Top Cow version of AOD ).

Quote Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post
    I don't have any interest in seeing any of the old TR characters brought back in any of the new games...they had their time in the spotlight, so I say let them go. I am looking forward to seeing some new people this time around.
    Not talking about Kurtis specifically, but as a general principle, as much as I agree with Crystal Dynamics' motto "don't put it in the game just for the sake of it or because it used to be there in the previous one", I also think that, when you take a franchise, you have to aknowledge that there are good parts in it as well. If you don't want to use material from the previous games just for the sake of it, you shouldn't turn it down just for the sake of getting rid of it either... There's the stuff that's not working anymore (like the Teflon Lara) but, when there is stuff worth saving because it makes sense, because it is consistent with the new game spirit, then it should be considered. After all, even Nolan used the Joker
    Adventure found me...

AOD really gave me a headache at a lot of points, but regardless I liked Lara having Kurtis as a teammate. Its funny cause just a few hours ago I was thinking about all the characters I would like to see make "guest"/""cameo" appearances.

I love the idea of maybe seeing Kurtis in a picture somewhere or on a locker, etc. Hopefully one day they will bring him back at least once since he never got a real fair game to be in.....

Quote Originally Posted by misscati98 View Post
    I Recon Kurtis Trent Needs To Make A Return. Come On AOD Players, Didn't He Rock? He Should Make A comeback Like He Didn't Stay Dead And He Came Back To Help Lara!! <3 TR AOD!
    i was thinking that yesterday that he should return because at the end of AOD lara gets his weapon he uses and lara goes through the dark place , so i think hes still alive , but they are Re-booting Tomb Raider , so that is meaning forget all about the old Lara Croft , so there will be no Kurtis returning unfortunately as much i would love to him him return , its not gonna happen which is very sad because he was a billiant character in the game and i would of loved to see him return again
    signature image

As much as I liked AoD (I played it on pc, but I honestly don't remember the huge gameplay issues others had and it's not like other TR titles were perfect) and as much as I adored Kurtis, I don't think a comeback for him would make sense with the reboot.
    Bringing back the Manor, Winston, Von Croy and possibly even Bryce and Zip is feasable in the following games. Considering the role he played, a part for Kurtis is unlikely.

Which is a shame, as AoD was supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy and Kurtis' character was given an open end (the gamers reception of him would determine whether he'd return or not, but a role was forseen for him in the trilogy). I agree it was very clear from the game that his character was not finished and it always makes me a bit sad to see people burn the character down because of the bad gameplay and missing features, instead of judging the character in itself, which - in my opinion - was intriguing at the very least.

Seriously, no repeat characters except Lara.

Ok, as impatient as I am, I didn't read all of the posts in this thread before posting.

But here are my thoughts:
    I looked forward to Kurtis when I first saw that he would be a playable character, BUT... I was hoping he would be a co-op player, not instead of Lara. I liked what they said he'd be able to do, but it just wasn't implemented right, and the whole game was really buggy for me. I got to a point where I had so many bugs that screwed me up, that I just gave up and never finished the game. I was really disappointed with that. As for seeing him again, I would love it IF they got him and his skills right, and was organically put into the plot of a future game. I doubt it will happen though; too many people are scarred from their previous experience with him and the game he was associated with.

I always thought Kurtis was a great guy to have as the male counterpart to Lara in the series. I know we won't see him appear in future games but I would be great if we did.
    Andy64 - The TR traditionalist maverick

Big Grin

I LOVE KURTIS!!! We should bring him back, just not as a playable character, or maybe they could improve his controls. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!!! I loved the story and I really want to see where their relationship goes. I'm a sucker for happy endings.
    p.s. Sorry if you find another message similar to this I clicked delete on the last one by accident, so... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon View Post
    As for the TR2 Venice chat I really love the boating race bit. Venice is one of the best video game levels ever.
    Old post, but I had to quote it.
    Right now I'm replaying TR2 and and few months ago I was at Venice.
    Its incredible how they captured feeling of Venice! We know that graphics are not perfect at TR2... but looks like graphics are not needed to create feeling!
    As for boat... how much time it took for rockstargemes to make 3d game where you can get in and out vehicle and shoot!
    Venice is one of the best video game levels ever!!!

Ending of TR9 Trailer makes me think that we will get same sort of feeling of LostIsland! (I only can speak for my self)

P.S. And no Kurtis!

Quote Originally Posted by jakobsen View Post
    Its incredible how they captured feeling of Venice! We know that graphics are not perfect at TR2... but looks like graphics are not needed to create feeling!
    Absolutely agree. Maybe I'm biased because Venice was the first ever TR level I played, but I have really nice memories of the "feeling" that level gave me.

Awesome level and without a doubt one of the best in all TR games!

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I would like to see Kurtis back him and Lara were good together.

I should have included this in the sign Damn, and well if they bring him back they should bring back Amanda. It IS a reboot after all...

Definitely NO Amanda and NO Kurtis. Would love to see a good romance blossom for Lara in the future but not with Kurtis. I don't want to be able to play him either, only Lara. Kurtis sort of brought the game down and it was the only aspect of AoD i didn't like (gameplay goes without mentioning). I'm sure if Core got to make their sequel (which I reallllly wanted to see) their relationship would have gone much further but just based on AoD, I don't want him to return. Or anyone apart from Winston for that matter.

I guess he should come back!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
    Definitely NO Amanda and NO Kurtis. Would love to see a good romance blossom for Lara in the future but not with Kurtis. I don't want to be able to play him either, only Lara. Kurtis sort of brought the game down and it was the only aspect of AoD i didn't like (gameplay goes without mentioning). I'm sure if Core got to make their sequel (which I reallllly wanted to see) their relationship would have gone much further but just based on AoD, I don't want him to return. Or anyone apart from Winston for that matter.
    What? No Zip? I know Alister died (Rest In Peace <3) But Zip was awesome :')
    My Chemical Romance saves lives! <3

Am I the only one who had no issues with the controls of AoD? Aside from that I keep hitting . instead of 1 to duck and crawl, it seems mostly the same as previous versions of TR, with the added help of using the mouse to turn (though I use that mostly for making sure I'm absolutely in the right direction before I jump), and not having to hold action to keep hold of a ledge.

And the locations were very well designed, and the obstacles and climbable stuff blend into the environment (too well at times, even though I've done the Louvre twice before, I still forget I can climb up the drainpipe in the storm drains, and I only just yesterday discovered how to get into the metro station). But you could tell it was rushed (I heard that it was rushed so it could be released in time for the Tomb Raider movie), when she is in the limo, while you can hear it, you can see clearly through the window at the wall behind they are not moving, and also her Louvre outfit clearly has the holsters for her dual pistols. It's a shame really, but that is the way the wheel turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetford View Post
    Am I the only one who had no issues with the controls of AoD?
    The controls were more or less okay on the PS2. Only the bits with Kurtis were sluggish as ____

Quote Originally Posted by Thetford View Post
    I heard that it was rushed so it could be released in time for the Tomb Raider movie
    The most believed theory is that the game was rushed for the sake of having the sales include in that fiscal year. Whether this is true or not, was never confirmed, though. It will forever remain one of those....

<eerie echo voice>

u n s o l v e d m y s t e r i e s

</eerie echo voice>

The full story of what happened during the development of AOD (to my knowledge) has never been released beyond TR chronicles diverting much need preproduction time and attention away from the game (allegedly) and Eidos (this is old Eidos we are talking about, who had a nasty word of mouth reputation) wanting the game out for Xmas. hence the god AWEFUL PC version that suffered crashes/memory leaks and the worst optimisation I have ever seen in a game let alone the by then archaic controls and camera movements that had me fighting with my keyboard in the Parisian backstreets.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by misscati98 View Post
    What? No Zip? I know Alister died (Rest In Peace <3) But Zip was awesome :')
    isn't he?! yes!! i'm not the only one xD
    http://hiropon056.deviantart.com/ Do it like a Dudette! signature image

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast