Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... Last

Thread: DX:HR Collective REVIEWS/OPINIONS Thread-Industry & Personal WARNING:Spoilers inside!

DX:HR Collective REVIEWS/OPINIONS Thread-Industry & Personal WARNING:Spoilers inside!

Arrow DX:HR Collective REVIEWS/OPINIONS Thread-Industry & Personal WARNING:Spoilers inside!

This thread should help you to find and read all the official industry reviews for Deus Ex Human Revolution.
    Below is a summary of all reviews on DX:HR to date, with links to the respective articles.
    More to follow...

The embargo is lifted on Monday at 12:00pm EST.

After game release (23 August), this is the place to post your own personal review/opinion too.

Please be wary of possible spoilers.

OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE - 10/10
    The UK's Official Xbox Magazine has awarded Deus Ex: Human Revolution a 10/10 review score.
    Full Article - Click Here

The write-up appears in the mag's new edition (issue 76), which will go on general sale next week.
    As you'd expect, the look, control and characters in the game all come in for flawless praise.
    The news comes after PC Gamer's world first review, which landed with subscribers yesterday.

Originally Posted by Jordasm
    For those that haven't seen the OXM review yet, I'd love to post scans but sadly I can't at the moment, so heres the jist, it's a really positive article.

Pluses -
    Involving, complex plot
    Dramatic, beautiful art direction
    Sophisticated characters
    Satisfying combat and stealth
    "Human Revolution stands proudly alongside the best cyberpunk fiction, in any medium, let alone just games"
    "For those who were lucky enough to play Ion Storms original Deus Ex, know that this effortlessly captures the same tone, feel, and sense of consequence of the original, complete with fan-pleasing references and a storyline that slots beautifully into fiction"
    "Human Revolution's first priority is freedom of choice, but your first decision is also your easiest - buy this game"

Minuses -
    Some sub-plots left hanging

The score -
    10/10 "Like it's visuals, this game is golden"

___

PC GAMER - 94%
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution review scores 94 and an Editor’s Choice award...

We deliver our verdict on Deus Ex: Human Revolution in the latest issue of PC Gamer UK, which will hit news stands next Wednesday August 3. We awarded it a score of 94 and an Editor’s Choice award.

In the huge, eight-page review Tom befriends turrets, throws vending machines off buildings, hacks into security terminals, resolves hostage situations and dismembers foes with augmented fist-chisels to conclude that Human Revolution “is absolutely the Deus Ex of our age, a genuinely worthy prequel, and a game that puts almost everything else in the genre to shame.”

The latest issue will be available to buy online next Wednesday, and should be sliding through subscribers’ letterboxes this very second. Subscribers get every issue before they hit the stores, and come in special subscriber covers. You can subscribe for a year right now at 45% off the cover price. If you live outside of the UK, you can pick up our Zinio digital edition. This month’s subscriber cover comes in black and shining gold. See it below.

Want to know more about Deus Ex: Human Revolution? We played the first ten hours over and over again, and had dramatically different experiences. We recount them in our series of diaries, The Thinker, The Hacker and The Psychopath.
    At 94% – making it among the highest-scoring games in PC Gamer’s history. The original, released back in 2000, earned itself a 95% rating, and the mag has repeatedly referred to Ion Storm’s classic as the best game ever.

It's absolutely the Deus Ex of our age, a genuinely worthy prequel, and a game that puts almost everything else in the genre to shame.”

___

OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION MAGAZINE - 8/10

OPM's Deus Ex: Human Revolution PS3 review write-up is with subscribers - and, just like PC Gamer, the mag's given the game a very credible score...

OPM's 8/10 is a little more critical of the PS3 version than PCG's whopping 94% verdict. Critic Leon Hurley writes that the game is a "curious hybrid" of stealth, action, RPG and story - but manages to pull it off with aplomb... for the most part. "It's not as direct as a sci-fi COD, nor as expansive or open as Fallout," he writes. "Instead it's somewhere in the middle." OPM concludes that the game does the Deus Ex series "proud" - "providing an absorbing world to investigate and a satisfying freedom to play by your own rules". Slight gripes come when discussing background characters "cycling routines", frustrating boss fights and long loading screens that "break the mood". Overall, though, the PS3 Deus Ex: Human Revolution review gives the two thumbs up. The game's described as having a plot that's "basically James Bond of the future" in a world with "lush art direction". Hurley writes: "It doesn't reach Killzone 3 levels of splendour, but it's impossible not to be wowed by the neon-drenched presence of Hangsha in China."
    Check out OPM Issue 061 for the full six-page review (it's a detailed beast)...

___

PELIT (Finnish magazine) - 91/100

Originally Posted by erionfin
    One new review. Finnish magazine Pelit (= Finnish for "Games") reviewed Deus Ex: Human Revolution in their newest issue and gave it 91/100 and "Pelit Recommends" -award.

Their conclusions (translated by me):

"Excellent cyberpunk role-playing adventure, that honors the legendary predecessor, but stands firmly on its own feet. Couple of weak parts don't ruin the big picture."

Cover:

___

GAME MASTER MAGAZINE - 94%

Deus Ex Human Revolution has scored 94% in the latest Game Master magazine, which additionally describes it as an incredible piece of game-making; it's the revival Deus Ex always deserved.

The mag concludes by calling the Square Enix shooter "a once-in-a-generation kind of game, and the first game in a decade to do everything the original Deus Ex did, and to do almost all of it better."
    Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS

U.S. OXM - 8.5/10

http://beingnerdy.com/ps3/deus-ex-hu...olution-review

___

Destrictoid - 9.5/10
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-de...n-209544.phtml
    This game is truly deserving of the name Deus Ex. In fact, there's no other name it could have had.
    Final Verdict 9.5/10
    Superb: 9s are a hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme example of its genre.
    beingnerdy.com - PS3 Review - 9.6/10
    Originally Posted by Free 7hinker
    __

Strategy Informer - 9.5/10

The chaps at Strategy Informer have gone ahead and given the game 9.5/10 in their review.
    http://www.strategyinformer.com/xbox...98/review.html

___

TIME Magazine - 9.2/10
    Time Magazine (Techland): http://techland.time.com/2011/08/22/...lution-review/

___

GamerFuzion - 8/10
    GamerFuzion: Deus Ex Human Revolution Review
    http://www.gamerfuzion.com/blogs/deu...ox-360-ps3-pc/

Gearedforgamers.com - 9.5/10
    http://www.gearedforgamers.com/revie...olution-review

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the long awaited third installment in the Deus Ex franchise. Developed by Eidos-Montreal, players are thrust into a world of humanity pitted against large corporations. It is a classic tale of man versus machine and the moral implications of a society based on technology. Just like previous Deus Ex titles, this one as also been designed to offer gamers complete freedom in the choices that they make as they play. Does the game deliver on this ideal promise of a perfectly open moral system and decision process, or does having so many choices for gameplay leave the player overwhelmed?
    German Reviews:
    Gamestar.de: 85/100 + Gold Award
    http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/deus-e...ung/44538.html
    (has ten subcategories, notably Story 10/10)

4players.de: 87/100 + Gold Award
    http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...evolution.html

Pcgames.de: 84/100
    http://www.pcgames.de/Deus-Ex-3-Huma...iten-840716/3/

___

OTHER/NOT YET CONFIRMED

15 August 2011
    According to this article EDGE magazine has awarded DXHR 10/10:
    http://screwthemanual.wordpress.com/...tion-and-fpss/

For those of you who tuned into E3 this year, you will no doubt be aware of the many games that are making its way to our shelves in the coming months, and for those who are fans of the FPS genre, you may be aware that Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been gaining considerable hype recently. The game has already received positive reviews from PC Gamer (94%) and Official Xbox Magazine (10/10) and Edge (10/10). For me this is wonderful, for this genre but really for gaming as a whole. My primary reason for this is that Deus Ex 3 may give the FPS market something new to gamers other than rehashed military shooters, which are becoming quite stagnant.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

^
    Thanks Ash, added to summary.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution OPM review is in!

Issue 61 of Official Playstation Magazine has a first review of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3. The game was granted an unprecedented 94% by PC Gamer; how does the PS3 version stack up?

The reviewer, Leon Hurley, calls it a 'tricky review', simply because there's so much choice and each player will experience a slightly different game - Leon primarily chose non-lethal methods. The game is 'somewhere in the middle' between Call of Duty and Fallout, mixing both shooting and RPG.

The beautiful city gets well-deserved credit along with the aforementioned player choice, but returning to the same location numerous times did not impress. There was also the issue of having too little ammo, which apparently meant going all-out, guns blazing was a very short-lived option.

The game scored a very respectable 8/10, with minor things dragging the score down (immersion-breaking NPCs and ham-fisted boss fights were cited). From what we can see, no mention was made of any particular PS3-specific faults; the distance between the OPM and PC Gamer scores looks more likely to just be personal preference rather than platform discrepancies.

Issue 61 of OPM should be hitting the UK stores any minute now, and it comes with three awesome Bioshock: Infinite postcards; go buy.

http://playstation.systemlink.me/201...ution-ps3.html

8/10 is a very respectable score.

Somewhere between CoD and Fallout, huh? Kind of like I live somewhere between Australia and France.
    Hate you can trust.

Why.

Why compare it with Call of Duty.

Issue on little ammo? It is a bloody design choice.These console reviews are going to piss me off.

"The game is 'somewhere in the middle' between Call of Duty and Fallout, mixing both shooting and RPG."

Haha

My favorite color is somewhere in the middle between black and white.
    Hate you can trust.

8/10 isn't bad for a magazine that foolishly compares it to CoD. If they gave it a 6 I'd be mad, if they gave it a 9 or 10 I'd be worried.
    signature image

Sorry, a score of 8/10 is pretty bad for an AAA title that took 4 years to make. The reviewer sounds like a huge derp though.

My score for this game is somewhere in the middle between zero and infinity.
    Hate you can trust.

Originally Posted by uberajnn
    Sorry, a score of 8/10 is pretty bad for an AAA title that took 4 years to make. The reviewer sounds like a huge derp though.
    So your saying if it's anything less than a 10, or a 9 than that's a bad score? Are you serious

Wow. I hope you were being sarcastic. I really, truly do.

Originally Posted by 1134
    Somewhere between CoD and Fallout, huh? Kind of like I live somewhere between Australia and France.
    China, Human Revolution is China. You know how they whirl up their economy.

That's not how the world works. It doesn't matter if it's AAA or took a decade to make. Reviews are subjective. The best game in the world can get a bad review. Same with movies. But 8/10 is not bad for someone who clearly doesn't understand the game.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Atlus
    So your saying if it's anything less than a 10, or a 9 than that's a bad score? Are you serious

Wow. I hope you were being sarcastic. I really, truly do.
    ? Reviewers generally don't use the lower half of the spectrum. 5 and under: trainwreck. 6-7: bad. 8: average, nothing special. 9: good. I don't see how my opinion can be taken as controversial in any way.

Pinky: I agree with your points. I still think 8/10 is an undesirable score for a game of this magnitude.

? Reviewers generally don't use the lower half of the spectrum. Under 5: trainwreck. 6-7: bad. 8: average, nothing special. 9: good. I don't see how my opinion can be taken as controversial in any way.
    Same way the reviewer's opinion can

? Reviewers generally don't use the lower half of the spectrum. 5 and under: trainwreck. 6-7: bad. 8: average, nothing special. 9: good. I don't see how my opinion can be taken as controversial in any way.

Pinky: I agree with your points. I still think 8/10 is an undesirable score for a game of this magnitude.
    Every reviewer has there own scale. Have you never read an EDGE review, or a destructoid review?

For example a 7 in EDGE is good.

A 6 is okay

A 5 is average.

Every reviewer has there own scale. There's no one scale for all gaming reviews.

But still an 8 isn't bad. It's subjective. Red Dead Redemption has a metacritic score of 95, and has 8's. Mass Effect metacritic of 94 has 8's. Bioshock a metacritic of 96 has 8's.

Moral of story; it's ludicrous to expect only 9's and 10's. Expect 8's, expect 7's, etc. Honestly, for Deus Ex fans this IS a big AAA game. But honestly, this isn't Grand Theft Auto, or Halo, or even Call of Duty for that matter. It won't get automatic 10's, and personally I'm glad.

@atlus: Ok, so where's the contradiction? The OPMs grade according to what I've described, so does the vast majority of reviewers. For instance, ME2 got 10/10 from both OPMs. If we are to extrapolate from the OPM review (which we really can't) the reviews will generally land around 7 and 8. I don't think that's going to happen though, as I'm hoping this OPM review isn't representative. I don't see how it's 'ludicrous' to expect a median score of around 9.

Again, I'm simply saying an 8 from OPM isn't very good for an AAA title. Panties in a bunch much?

Originally Posted by Ashbery76
    Issue on little ammo? It is a bloody design choice.These console reviews are going to piss me off.
    Doesn't mean it was a good design choice. Limiting ammo forces you to play stealth. Anyway reviews are just one person's opinion-you don't have to agree.

Originally Posted by MarkcusD
    Doesn't mean it was a good design choice. Limiting ammo forces you to play stealth.
    That's already a problem for me if I end up wanting to complete the game with nothing but guns. I was going to try something like that in a different playthrough of mine.

Limiting ammo forces you to play stealth.
    No. It forces you to be skilled.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

I can't say for the full game but at least for the entire leak there was enough ammo, alot of ammo? No, but if you actually killed people in 1-3 shots you wouldn't run out. Especially if you used the pistol,though at the start of the game i had to be sure that i got head shots but that was in the very first mission by the time you got to explore the first hub and were able to find ammo / buy it... i don't recall ever having less then 50 bullets most of the time i had closer to 100. Same thing for the combat rifle / machine pistol, granted its much easier to run out of ammo for those 2 guns purely b/c of the recoil / accuracy but it is still possible to kill everyone with guns. That's assumin' you only use one gun if you get max inventory space and keep 2-3 guns you'll never run it assumin' ya know how to aim. With all that said shotgun ammo did seem a little sparse. Oh and all my play troughs were done on "give me deus ex" if for some reason people think i was playin' on easier difficulties makin' it easier on ammo usage.

Limiting ammo forces you to play stealth
    Originally Posted by Fluffis
    No. It forces you to be skilled.
    Correct, guess people just run to be able to literally "run and gun" without really caring about accuracy.

since when has 8s been bad? lots of the best games out there get 8s.... time it takes to make a game and it being AAA doesnt mean anything to the review. unless you really think those somehow make a game better.

if anything from the reviewers impressions an 8 means it should be great since he did compare it to cod and FO3.

I always find it absurd if some special force guy goes in with, say, 2 additional magazines. That's simply ridiculous!

If Adam goes [prepared] on a mission, and has a specific weapon pre equipped, he must have enough ammunition from the get go. If he happened to go from one mission to another and has no chance to restock ammo, than obviously he will have less ammo. Managing/conserving ammunition is a must anyway, but going prepared on a mission with a couple of mags is absurd.
    Stealth should be choice (or forced by situation, running low on ammo might be one of course).

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... Last