Thread: Brian Azzarello's Joker

Brian Azzarello's Joker

Brian Azzarello's Joker

Recently read it, wanted to discuss it a bit. Hopefully this thread goes somewhere.
    "Did you believe you could change me, the way I've changed you?"
    "I already did."

I have mixed feelings about it.

ITs an interesting reinterpretation of Joker and Batman in general. Very grounded and "Nolan-esque". Flat out gorgeous artwork. Using a henchman as the protagonist was a nice touch.

However, I think the whole "examine Joker's craziness" thing is wasted due to the fact that its not THE Joker. Its an alternative version of the Joker created with the purpose of examining it, unlike The Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum which more or less use the normal characterizations and examine them.

So while I think the book is a good read with a good story and good art I think in the end it has no real depth and value beyond that.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    I have mixed feelings about it.

ITs an interesting reinterpretation of Joker and Batman in general. Very grounded and "Nolan-esque". Flat out gorgeous artwork. Using a henchman as the protagonist was a nice touch.

However, I think the whole "examine Joker's craziness" thing is wasted due to the fact that its not THE Joker. Its an alternative version of the Joker created with the purpose of examining it, unlike The Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum which more or less use the normal characterizations and examine them.

So while I think the book is a good read with a good story and good art I think in the end it has no real depth and value beyond that.
    Let me paste this from the other thread.

Ok, well here's the whole section that I didn't understand:

I honestly had no idea what any of that meant in the context of what was happening. I mean,

Aside from that and one other thing (that I already cleared up), it was a pretty good read. Loved the ending.
    "I already did."

Um, mind giving some context with that so I can figure out what a line from a book I read a year ago means?
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Um, mind giving some context with that so I can figure out what a line from a book I read a year ago means?
    Sorry. Here you go:

"I already did."

How do you define what is THE Joker? The Joker was funny to noone but himself, just like how Bill Finger had originally created him, this guy had the Satan's statue as decoration in his mansion and was all about murdering, not being a maniac laughamaniac like Mark Hamill's Joker. Joker was also full on ego thats flatout Joker.

However the Joker is heavily inspired by Bill the Butcher in the comic, this is something Brian Azzarello has told, i'm talking about the "Gangs of New York" movie.

I know that the Joker is a character with countless interpretations, what I meant was this is a different character in a different continuity altogether, whereas the existing gold standard of Joker examinations (Killing Joker) was in the main continuity using the canon incarnations of the characters. Its not really an exploration of THE Joker, its just an exploration of THAT Joker.

If they hadn't made it so obviously a different continuity it'd probably work better in that regard. This is just how I see it though.

And Dark Knight, I have no clue how to answer that question. For once you have me with nothing to say.

I know that the Joker is a character with countless interpretations, what I meant was this is a different character in a different continuity altogether, whereas the existing gold standard of Joker examinations (Killing Joker) was in the main continuity using the canon incarnations of the characters. Its not really an exploration of THE Joker, its just an exploration of THAT Joker.
    But it's not like Alan Moore was writing the story on the intention it was canon, it was made canon by DC comics after it's huge success. You never know if someone at DC wants to make Azzarello Joker canon. It's not hard with Morrison's super insanity concept, but i could never see Azzarello's Batman become canon, infact that would really ruin the character for mainstream.

If they hadn't made it so obviously a different continuity it'd probably work better in that regard. This is just how I see it though.

And Dark Knight, I have no clue how to answer that question. For once you have me with nothing to say.

"I already did."

Originally Posted by Drazar
    But it's not like Alan Moore was writing the story on the intention it was canon, it was made canon by DC comics after it's huge success. You never know if someone at DC wants to make Azzarello Joker canon. It's not hard with Morrison's super insanity concept, but i could never see Azzarello's Batman become canon, infact that would really ruin the character for mainstream.
    While then The Killing Joke is better in hindsight than it was when it was released.

Hey guys, I saw this at the store today, but decided not to pick it up, in your opinion,did I make a mistake?

How much was it there for? Its worth 10 bucks, maybe 15, but I wouldn't go higher than that.

Oh well, its was $20

You can buy it online for cheaper. I'd do that.

Alright, thanks for the advice.