Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: The COVER System - All Discussion Thread

The COVER System - All Discussion Thread

  1. #1

    The COVER System - All Discussion Thread

    Will you use 3rd Person cover? I plan on using it every time I climb a ladder, but other than that no! I watched the "leaked" game play and was a little confused b/c I thought it was watching Solid Snake creeping around in DXHR.

  2. #2


    I never use third person cover in the leaked build.

    (pic unrelated)
    signature image

  3. #3
    Sure, I'll use it. I've never quite grokked why a little out-of-body time takes people out of the experience.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,176
    Sure, I use third person cover.

    I like to go back and forth on the wall and make Jensen do a little dance. Plus I make him hit the wall to cover so I can hear that belt/metal sound.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Thasc
    Sure, I'll use it. I've never quite grokked why a little out-of-body time takes people out of the experience.
    There's a world of difference between 3rd and first. In 3rd person you are omniscient, can easily track enemies, and can swing around like a monkey from wall to wall. However, in first person you have to be more careful and cannot see as much when you are hiding in a room, but with the combination of lean and peak keys you can achieve the same amount of view as 3rd without having to leave your body which literally does pull you of the experience. Furthermore, there are very few "Oh, Sh|t!" moments with 3rd person. What do I mean by "Oh, Sh|t!"? I mean when you are sneaking around a big warehouse and you moving from cover to cover and you step out in front of five armed guard who look at you and say "We got a bogey!". That experience right there is worth a lot to some people. But, if you were in 3rd person you can see everywhere and moments like that just don't happen as often.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    Originally Posted by Thasc
    Sure, I'll use it. I've never quite grokked why a little out-of-body time takes people out of the experience.
    Read. You'll figure it out, even if it doesn't apply to you personally. It's all been laid out in an overly detailed manner since people like you insist the information doesn't exist and just have to push that button again and again. HINT: The way you worded your non-grokking there is getting to the root of your comprehension problem because it's not what the people have been telling you is the problem.

  7. #7
    I am beginning to think we need to take copy pasta to the next level and root out the very best posts on these long buried topics and make prebuilt responses for any and all questions that can arise.
    signature image

  8. #8
    Sooo..that's a yes?

  9. #9
    Yes. I will use third-person cover.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Citizen_Snips
    Sooo..that's a yes?
    No i will not use third person cover, and having seen it in action first hand i do not even know why it made it to this point of development. But that's just my opinion.
    signature image

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Pretentious Old Man.

    I never use third person cover in the leaked build.

    (pic unrelated)
    So this means that the game can indeed be played without third person? Other than ladders of course.
    "Jensen if you even think of using that CASIE aug on me I will hit you." -Malik

  12. #12
    ^^What Reven said. It's gratuitous.
    signature image

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,377
    We'll all be using cover. Because JJB said so.

  14. #14
    I love the third person bits, you get to see Adam's badass fighting gear
    signature image

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,112
    I plan on using it occasionally. Not all the time though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,916
    Originally Posted by Citizen_Snips
    Will you use 3rd Person cover? I plan on using it every time I climb a ladder, but other than that no! I watched the "leaked" game play and was a little confused b/c I thought it was watching Solid Snake creeping around in DXHR.
    Personally, no I wont, and that's why I appreciated the preview one the one gentleman who tried playing without cover (Or third-person of any kind, save for ladders). I'm still a little annoyed I'll get hosed with regards to ladders, but oh well.
    Originally Posted by Thasc
    Sure, I'll use it. I've never quite grokked why a little out-of-body time takes people out of the experience.
    I think it's because you interact with a character totally differently between first and third-person.

    In first person, you are in the experience, you're seeing precisely what the protagonist sees. Every action you make is limited by your human perspective; You don't know if there's someone around the next corner unless you look.

    In third person, your character is in the experience. You can see what they're doing, and alter them accordingly. In this manner, you arn't also subject to limited perspective, you can guide them to other paths based upon a touch more knowledge.


    Now, before someone takes offence or misinterprets me, I am not bashing third-person - I love third-person - but it is a different perspective from first, and creates a different experience. It is easy to fall in to a first-person experience, or a third-person one, but as soon as the game starts switching between them I get a massive slap in the face that, oh yeah, I'm totally just playing a game now.
    Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    We'll all be using cover. Because JJB said so.
    LOL!
    "Square Root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed so harmless..."

  17. #17
    Well, Adam does have artificial eyes. You can pretend that the third person bits are just his normal vision being temporarily replaced by a computer-generated extrapolation of the scene based on various sensory inputs. It's something the military would kill to have (and finance), and perhaps very possible by 2027. It doesn't really help with putting me specifically into the game, but I've never really done that anyway. I'm boring, I know all about me. Adam is interesting.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    No.






    That's still entirely separate from the very reasons why it's not wanted, and only speaking half-assed to some justification-padding.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,916
    Originally Posted by Thasc
    Well, Adam does have artificial eyes. You can pretend that the third person bits are just his normal vision being temporarily replaced by a computer-generated extrapolation of the scene based on various sensory inputs. It's something the military would kill to have (and finance), and perhaps very possible by 2027. It doesn't really help with putting me specifically into the game, but I've never really done that anyway. I'm boring, I know all about me. Adam is interesting.
    Beyond the fact I consider it highly implausible that such a system could exist within that time frame, especially one the ability to accurate display colours and details, if such a system existed, you'd simply leave it on 24/7 to take advantage of the added perspective.

    Sorry, but perspective swapping WILL be jarring for some of us, which is a shame, because we don't really need third-person on the ladders, which is the only one that can't be avoided.
    "Square Root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed so harmless..."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    Remaped the cover key to "E" and use item to "Right click" never used 3d person and i did fine! Although i will surely upgrade the see through wall aug at my next play..

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by Romeo
    Beyond the fact I consider it highly implausible that such a system could exist within that time frame, especially one the ability to accurate display colours and details, if such a system existed, you'd simply leave it on 24/7 to take advantage of the added perspective.

    Sorry, but perspective swapping WILL be jarring for some of us, which is a shame, because we don't really need third-person on the ladders, which is the only one that can't be avoided.
    Agreed! You would think that Edios would have used the ladders to showcase Adam's bionic arms from a first person perspective. How cool would that be to see the steel bars crushing under pressure as you climb?! Plus, you would get a good up close and personal look at their design.
    ))<>((

  22. #22
    Originally Posted by Citizen_Snips
    Agreed! You would think that Eidos would have used the ladders to showcase Adam's bionic arms from a first person perspective. How cool would that be to see the steel bars crushing under pressure as you climb?! Plus, you would get a good up close and personal look at their design.
    That would've been awesome! The whole third person switch for ladders confuses me: I just don't see any point in it.

    To answer OP's question: I'll use third person as little as possible. However, when attempting to play stealthily, I think there will be times where I won't be able to avoid it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,176
    Originally Posted by Citizen_Snips
    Agreed! You would think that Eidos would have used the ladders to showcase Adam's bionic arms from a first person perspective. How cool would that be to see the steel bars crushing under pressure as you climb?! Plus, you would get a good up close and personal look at their design.
    I would hope that in those six months of recovery Adam got used to his augmentations so as not to crush things anymore...however, I'm sure in tense situations that could change.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,916
    Originally Posted by Citizen_Snips
    Agreed! You would think that Eidos would have used the ladders to showcase Adam's bionic arms from a first person perspective. How cool would that be to see the steel bars crushing under pressure as you climb?! Plus, you would get a good up close and personal look at their design.
    Would've been much nicer. I just don't understand the need to switch to third-person in that particular circumstance, and as you said, first-person would've been preferable.
    "Square Root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed so harmless..."

  25. #25
    I only won't use it, if there's an achievement for it.

    btw, is the cover system button activated or auto (just touching wall it happens)?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last