Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: MELEE Weapons/Attacks - General Discussion Thread

MELEE Weapons/Attacks - General Discussion Thread

MELEE Weapons/Attacks - General Discussion Thread

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...lution_weapons

There are no melee weapons (i.e. crow bars, prods, batons, knives/swords) and that looks disappointing . are there any dlcs that will add them ?. It would be a nice challenge to beat the game with only melee weapons

No melee weapons. Welcome to three years ago and more threads than I can count.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Look at the bright side, at least there's no melee weapons.
    signature image

Turrets are melly weapons.

As are refrigerators.

Boxes are my riot shields

They should make thrown stuff more deadly.
    "My coat is augmented"

I prefer the dumpster.

(click image to enlarge)

Lol

In the boss fight:

"A wild dumpster appeared!"

(That or one of the good types of long boxes I prefer)
    "My coat is augmented"

Your arms are metal with blades inside. Carrying a melee weapon would be like mounting a pistol onto a tank.

lol at all the responses. They must have been rehearsed a thousand times

Originally Posted by El Padrino
    Your arms are metal with blades inside. Carrying a melee weapon would be like mounting a pistol onto a tank.
    This.

Originally Posted by El Padrino
    Or to look at it another way: Adam has a melee weapon on him at all times. (Two of them in fact.) Why can't I use them as such?

Plus, of course, defending one (arguably) bad decision (i.e. lack of melee weapons) on the basis of another (arguably) bad decision (i.e. armblades) by the same team is pretty circular reasoning. It was EM's choice to give Adam armblades, so they still take the blame for removing proper melee combat.

If they made it possible to punch without doing a takedown, it'd make up for excluding Melee weapons. Plus it gives strength augs another use.

(click image to enlarge)

Hm...

They should at least make thrown stuff more deadly :P I do love those gas containers though <3
    "My coat is augmented"

Originally Posted by CJ78
    They should at least make thrown stuff more deadly :P
    True. Throwing a dumpster at someone should kill 'em. It's annoyingly silly to watch a person just get back up after that.
    signature image

:/

It's weird how all the not important people (civilians/ hobos) will get killed just by throwing a UR-DED at them (well it knocked them out if you want to be specific :P) The only thing I really throw are gas canisters and the explosive barrels.
    "My coat is augmented"

Augmented Arms/Legs = Ridiculously powerful throws/punches/kicks (senc enemies flying

I know this is sort of one off, but given that Adam has strength augs that allow him to jump 9 feet in the air or lift dumpsters and fridges... couldn't his punches, kicks, and throws do some serious damage?

I mean, I'm talking about picking up a guy and throwing him 18 feet in the air, or punching a guy so that he flies across the room and smashes through a wall (and other enemies), or dropping a fridge to crush a guy's head between the concrete.

The melee attacks are pretty tame compared to what he might be able to do.

+1

Me: Throws dumpster
    Them: lol that was nothing

The only thing worth throwing are the gas canisters and the explosive barrels. Refrigerators make good riot shields though. Adam can throw pretty far though and he can launch dead/unconscious bodies pretty far as well (definatly more that 18 feet)

Playing on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty makes me want to join Purity First...
    "My coat is augmented"

In the realistic world there is a difference between jumping 9 feet up and throwing someone away. Action = Reaction. It's the third Newtonian law. It means that if Adam throws something away very hard, he will experience the same force in opposite direction. This could mean Adam will be thrown backwards, or damage himself.

In the game world Adam Jensen is a stealthy and/or lethal agent. This means that he would not benefit from throwing enemies around. His job is to evade or kill them. The tame takedowns in the game are meant to be deadly. All energy will be used to hit the enemy hard enough to kill or stun, make as less sound as possible, and keep the body close to be able to take the body out of enemy eyesight.

There also is a game already where you can throw enemies around, called Crysis. It is fun, but it isn't the most effective way of killing enemies. Since Adam is much more vulnerable then Nomad (Crysis) it makes even more sense to not try these high profile kills.

Well Adam happens to be augmented (doesn't feel like it on Deus Ex difficulty) so I'd hope his super fancy augmented ed feet would counter the force of throwing something. In a realistic world; if you get hit by a dumpster you should probably be unconscious at least. And who said that Adam Jensen is a stealthy and/or lethal agent? That's up to the player which is one of the many qualities I admire about this game. And for the record, you can fling a body elsewhere to draw attention to it and draw forces away from where you want to get to. What you are saying is only from your method of playing Deus Ex

It's weird how it take so much energy just to punch someone but it's just the developer's way of making sure we don't go overboard.
    "My coat is augmented"

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Look at the bright side, at least there's no melee weapons.
    Rolf

I never liked the melee weapons myself, they seemed awkward for JC and Adam because they are super human and should be able to just throw people like nothin. Also the sound effects really killed it in Deus Ex one but then again this version has much better sound effects so...

I'm not really bothered by this, it makes sense in-universe, but I wish they made the arm blades a viable alternative, going by the leak. They make far too much noise, which is a little strange when you think about it. Slitting people's throats or stabbing their kidneys/lungs have been a staple of silent takedowns since the invention of the knife!

Originally Posted by Orius
    They make far too much noise
    That's if you kill them, if you do a non lethal takedown, it's fairly quieter. Adam's arms are more like an axe that a knife in terms of subtly.
    "My coat is augmented"

Yes, and that's my issue with them. The blades seem kind of redundant, as just using your arms have no drawbacks.

I could really make a dick of myself ranting about those blades, would have liked a non-lethal augmentation too. That, highlighting, radar, mini-map and glowing secret doors make you wonder. Still only a few days to go.
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 Last