Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Thief 4 - Achievement Unlocked!

Thief 4 - Achievement Unlocked!

Thief 4 - Achievement Unlocked!

Yeah I know - bad pun, but the waiting is beginning to get to me now.

anywhooo- how hard/weird/bizarre can achievements get in Thief 4?

here's a few I thought up...

Burricks and Mortar: Stack enough dead Burricks in-game to rebuild all the stairs in the Cradle.

Final Fancy: Win a bet with your final coin in the Overlord's Fancy.

Fork Handles!: Snuff out four candles in a row with a silenced broadhead.

So what's yours? The crazier, the better!
    NEWSFLASH! Garrett laments fans' lack of character!
    signature image

Oh good! I was hoping this was a joke thread for giggles.

Achievements:
    Instead of check marks for objectives completed successfully, there are badges tailored to the nature of each objective.
    Instead of a Mission Accomplished cutscene with fanfare... there are badges... tailored to the nature of each mission completed.
    Instead of a final cutscene showing a weary taffer, there's a Game Completed plaque, and an option to send your personal information to a Facebook leaderboard so you may be contacted by a third-party hotline, through which, after a few simple questions, you can receive free DLC and a patch that removes all restrictions from the missions, and opt to have a swatch of cloth with all your earned badges embroidered across it, to hang proudly in your game room.

Achievement:

Garrett Jenkins: Run through the entire mission, lure all the guards, get the mission objective and flee, without knocking out anyone.

Grand Thiaf Auto: Kill all the pidgeons in The City.

Left 4 Taffer: Kill all the Zombies in The City.

Need for Loot - Underground: Use a Speed Potion and win a race against a Keeper. (Unlocks: Customized Hood)

Hot Coffee: Complete the naughty minigame with any lady in The City.

The Keeper Scrolls IV - Oblivion: Jailbreak from Pavelock Prison with the aid of the Emperor.

Moss Effect: Finish the game with all companions in your party.

Thiefout New Vegas - Drop a hundred mines in the TNT warehouse and hide yourself in the Hammerite Vault before it all detonates.

The achievements above may require that you have Nerd skill over 80 to be understood.
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Bereavements Unlocked!

You made 100+ babies cry!
    You got 50+ servants flogged!
    You got 1000+ guards fired!
    You got 600+ guards executed!
    Agricultural hero! You reseeded an entire pagan village by blowing up 10+ Treebeasts, and now a new army is sprouting!

Originally Posted by NewHorizon
    If there are going to be achievements in Thief 4...someone might as well just take me out behind the barn and shoot me now.
    Considering you already know it's on the xbox 360, you have enough time to drag yourself out back and shoot yourself.

There's nothing wrong with achievements, as long as they're good ones - I.E. something that actually feels like an achievement, not a chore. Achievements should be either challenging, fun, or funny - somehow they should either be enjoyable/satisfying for a player to go after, or make them smile/chuckle at the reference/absurdity of it. None of this "cut every blade of tall grass in Constantine's garden" crap that feels like a needless chore. Achievements can also be used to help a player build a behavior - for example, having an achievement for playing the whole game without killing anyone would teach people how to really sneak about and stalk people to blackjack them, rather than shove an arrow or a sword into everyone they meet.

I used to go after achievements no matter how painful it was when they were first used on the xbox 360 - now I only go for ones that are genuinely fun, take a short time to accomplish, or are a challenge that will help me to play the game better.
    signature image
    signature image

There's a lot wrong with pre-determined achievements and the time spent implementing them as if there aren't more important things to work on.

Achievement Unlocked: Annoyed.

You act as if programming achievements should take weeks of devoted work that they'd otherwise be spending tweaking the stealth systems. I'm pretty sure tracking and checking variables, like if a player has ever killed a human target, is one of the far easier and quicker things they could program - and if anyone's taking more than 2 hours to come up with a list of fun, good achievements (though they could also just be made based off of what testers say and cooler talk, "hey wouldn't it be cool if you got an achievement for...") they need to be smacked for taking so long.

I imagine it's one of the last things worked on anyways.
    signature image
    signature image

What do achievements in console games even do? I know that on PC they're completely worthless. Are they worthless on consoles too?

But serious "achievements" (not in the negative definition of them) for Thief could be:

-Mr. Sandman: Finish a mission on Expert difficulty and knock out all AIs without being detected and without bodies being discovered.
    -Ghost: Finish a mission on Expert difficulty withouth dealing any damage to humans and without being detected by humans.
    -Magpie: Finish a mission on Expert difficulty and steal every piece of loot.
    -Necrophobia: Finish an undead-themed mission on Expert difficulty without dealing any damage or being detected.
    -You're doing it wrong: Finish a mission and kill everything that can be killed, in combat. No stealth kills are allowed, every AI you kill needs to be aware of you.
    -Gold Ghost: Finish a mission on Expert difficulty without dealing any damage, without being detected, and also steal every piece of loot.
    -Inside job: Same as Ghost, but you must relock all the doors you have unlocked and return all the keys you've stolen to their original positions.
    -Egotrip: Infiltrate (mission location) through the front door without being detected.
    -For a rainy day: Finish a mission on Expert difficulty after puchasing nothing from the loadout.
    -Time for that vacation: Finish the game on Expert difficulty, without purchasing anything.

Oh, I forgot to mention, in the list of "achievements" I made, that there wouldn't actually be a list of achievements anywhere, they'd just pop up if you manage to do them.

Full-screen opaque pop-ups, with the game still running in the background, hells yeah!

Achievements vs Side Missions

Achievements? HUMMMM, I got burned out on achievements when Super Stardust HD had'em on PS3. If I remember this correctly (it's been awhile), there system was an option from the main menu screen & went online to get the names of people so your name would be on everyones screen in the world (or at lease the U.S.) if you got one.

Instead of achievements, tons of side quests would be better. Like in the fan mission "Cabal Furious Flames". You just cant go to the next level because you know that lady is up in the hotel waiting for her papers & you could sure use the 3 gas bombs she has waiting 4U...

I'm talking LOTS of side missions... 50-100 of'em. Instead of people in the city trying to kill each other (or you), make them give you side quests (to steal something) if you talk to them (like a GTA type scenario).

Just a thought....
    Wake me up when Thief 4 is released!

Now that I think of it, there are achievements in Thief. But they're not a bad thing because of one thing... They're not called "achievements" but instead they're "bonus objectives".

In T2 "Running interference" you can find wedding rings, which give you a completed bonus objective.
    In T2 "Trail of Blood" you can get a completed bonus objective if you find enough loot even though there is no loot objective in the mission.

I once carried Cutty's corpse all the way out of Cragscleft along with Basso, because I had heard that there was a bonus objective in Thief Gold saying something like "Even though Cutty is dead, he doesn't need to rot in his cell" but that was all crap. I don't know where had heard that.

You forgot one Plat:
    Garrett - Master Thief: Ghost the entire game on expert difficulty.

Lost in the Confusion: Sneak in the front way by getting all City Watch and all Pagan followers in your way to fight each other.
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

Originally Posted by Tryst
    You forgot one Plat:
    Garrett - Master Thief: Ghost the entire game on expert difficulty.
    I would qualify this under the category of unnecessarily annoying achievements. I liked Plat's idea for making it a per mission thing - this way the player who's going after the achievements gets to sample all the playing styles, instead of simply being forced to do something for the 10+hour campaign.

On the xbox you can turn achievement notifications off, which is nice. You can also have everything just be listed as a "secret" achievement, and that way only the super hardcore achievement whores will have it spoiled for themselves. It would also be very appropriate to have all the achievements hidden from plain sight XD

Here's my 3 achievements:

What is locked... can be opened... = pick every lock on a level that can be opened without a key

What is hidden... can be found... = find every secret in a level

What is yours....can be mine. = find all the loot in a level (I prefer this over magpie for the complete reference)

And a another one to top em off

Might as well wear white... = assassinate a hammerite with a stab to the back

EDIT: oh, and two more

Conservationist = during one mission do not use a single piece of equipment
    signature image
    signature image

Originally Posted by :-D
    ...Fork Handles!: Snuff out four candles in a row with a silenced broadhead...
    I'm sure there's a fan mission where you need to snuff several torches in one go, think it had a custom arrow that blew them out as it passed, wasn't the easiest of shots and you had to do it twice as I remember

A curved arrow that can shoot around corners?

(uhhhh.... NO!)
    Wake me up when Thief 4 is released!

Originally Posted by esme
    I'm sure there's a fan mission where you need to snuff several torches in one go, think it had a custom arrow that blew them out as it passed, wasn't the easiest of shots and you had to do it twice as I remember
    Thief 2 FM "Inverted manse" has replaced all the standard arrows. Fire arrow is actually a grenade arrow, moss arrows are mud arrows where the mud puddles expand, gas arrow has been replaced with expensive holy water arrows (that don't dry out like the ones used in TDP), and instead of standard water arrow there is a wind arrow. You can shoot the wind arrow past multiple torches and it can put out all of them at once. The drawback is that you can't put out larger fires with it, like fireplaces.

i dont like achievments because it feels like you are achieving these "goals" for an unknown entity, not actually for yourself

beating the game undetected is the main achievment. and i mean hardcore ghosting to the point where they dont even think anyone is there

Originally Posted by Fatherwoodsie
    i dont like achievments because it feels like you are achieving these "goals" for an unknown entity, not actually for yourself
    ...except if achieving some bonus goals grants you hidden bonus features. Then you're rewarding yourself for taking the road less travelled. Thief has always been about checking everything, and checking it twice. The devs could tap into the curiosity of the players by actually rewarding them for doing things that are not required to play the game.

How about reverse achievements for PC only.

Console Phobia - Never played Thief on Xbox.
    Not in my house - You don't even own an Xbox.

Of course these would have to rely on players being honest

ok, but would it be known to the player beforehand that he/she would be rewarded for stumbling upon something hidden in the game ? it that case it would all be about..... lets just run around as fast as we can in plain view in bright light until we here the bell whistle. thats not going to teach a new player to be stealthy. and i think that should be the aim of the game, to introduce new players to the mind of garrett. not use their own mind to just hack and slash through everything.

you cannot force someone with a run and gun mentallity to think like a thief. we as thief players get a rush out of knowing were getting away with a dirty deed right behind someones back....actually watching them walking away and whistling. we snicker at that, dont we? i know i do. we know how the game is meant to be played. but some people will just never get it. ive let my freind borrow a thief game and he still just doesnt get it. its like music where you may play a cd for the freind and you just cant understand why hes not as into the music as you are.

back to the point, if you have someone playing the game who doesnt understand the mentallity you need to fully appreciate the way the game was meant to be played, and he stumbles upon a secret achievment, it will just trigger, "wow let me run around as fast as i can and see what else i can unlock, i doubt it will them think differently. but in the end, i guess, yes, it would reward those of us who know how to really play the game.

Trust me, if you had achievements reinforcing thiefly virtues (like not being seen, not killing, stealing everything, not using tons of equipment but trying to use bare minimum, etc) you'd convert the playstyles of a good percentage of those people. Having an objective on expert saying to not kill people, and probably on the first level (regardless of difficulty) would also work. You just need to get them to experience the suspense and intensity the game can afford them if they don't just kill everything that moves, god forbid they enjoy it, they may keep with it.
    signature image
    signature image

I agree there. Rather than allowing people to run around like loons and kill anything that moves, achievements that reward thiefy playstyles would teach people how to play the game as it was meant to be played.

I do hate training missions and tutorials in a game when I already know how to play it, even more so when there's no option to skip it. Far worse if it's the second or third playthrough. The right type of achievements would teach you how to play without the requirement for a tutorial.

Let me get this straight... so suddenly it's a bad thing when the game encourages a more stealthy approach? ...Or did I get the last posts wrong?

Speaking of training missions... I hate it when you can't skip a training mission, and the training involves things that some players don't like to do, and they add up to the final stats. In the TDS training mission you have to knock out the clerk, and also a guard teleports in alerted status in front of you. So before the main game has even begun, you have dealt 1 damage and gotten caught once. And in the Thief 2 training you need to knock out 8 guards. The good thing about TDS is that it forces you to deal only 1 point of damage in the entire game, whereas TMA forces 9 points and TDP (gold) forces 135 points!

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    Let me get this straight... so suddenly it's a bad thing when the game encourages a more stealthy approach? ...Or did I get the last posts wrong?
    I don't think anyone said anything like that - or I somehow missed it. All I've seen is a bunch of people affirming the idea that achievements can be used in such a way as to teach players how to play a thief game.
    signature image
    signature image

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last