Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Videogames need more women and are too reliant on male, stubble-covered heroes...

Videogames need more women and are too reliant on male, stubble-covered heroes...

Amazing interview with Rhianna!
    And i agree with her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Pratchett.html
    signature image

I agree, us girls need to invade the industry that is dominated by men.
    I have high hopes for the girl from Remember me.
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

Seeing girls kick ass is so much cooler than when a guy does it.

(click image to enlarge)

agreed. female heroes are cooler. thats why i have 2 femsheps. one is my paragon shep the other is my renegade shep. both kick ass and its more amusing to look at then some guy doing it all.
    lara is a great icon so as faith (which is still one of my favorite games and female character) and even mona sax from max payne 2. even vanessa schneider from PN03 is a character that kicks ass in a sexy stile (yes i was able to play it on pc)
    still havent played heavenly sword since its not available on pc.
    signature image

Seeing Lara Croft take out an entire psycho army is EPIC! More power to ya!
    "Caroline: What's happening with you? What's your problem with pretty?
    Max: Don't wave your divas live hand at me"- 2 broke girls

Quote Originally Posted by DarlinG View Post
    I agree, us girls need to invade the industry that is dominated by men.
    I have high hopes for the girl from Remember me.
    Can't say that games are dominated by men anymore. There are much more games where you can choose the gender and even if the played hero is male there are also strong women in the game. Like female spartans in Halo.

I also love female heroes like Lara and Joanna Dark. I prefer them everytime when I have to choose like in Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls series.

Yup, I'm a guy, but I prefer seeing *REALISTIC* girls kick ass, it just seems more fresh these days.
    signature image

Enough said!
    "Caroline: What's happening with you? What's your problem with pretty?
    Max: Don't wave your divas live hand at me"- 2 broke girls

I agree,
    we need more girls in the gaming world.

I would love to see more female video game heroes and of course villains too. Even as a guy I always choose to play as the more agile girl over the muscle man. Lara has shown an amazing role in widening the diversity of protagonists out there today. If the TR1 teams from Eidos and Core hadn't come along and made Lara we would be years behind. Let's hope their work back then and Crystal's latest reboot as well can inspire lots more great gaming females.

Meh, I don't mind the characters' gender/sex as long as the game is enjoyable and the story and mechanics are well implemented. Of course Lara Croft is one of my favorite female lead characters in video games tho
    GT: Javo2357

You know, whenever I get the opportunity to create my character, I always make them female.
    signature image

I make mine female for a couple of reasons..

1. I, too, love watching females kick a**!
    2. If I have to look at a character from behind, I'd much rather it be a female.

Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

As a girl that grew up with video games, I can see how far the industry has come in this matter. Used to be that you had to play the white, stubbly male and be happy about it. No point in getting upset over something that was unavoidable. Now, I can play games like Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls and choose what gender or race I want to be to suit my fancy. Or play a game like Tomb Raider where it is required to play as a strong, female protagonist. I would have never have fathomed this sort of thing several years ago.
    Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

I think one of the first games to give you the choice between male and female protagonists was Resident Evil. You could choose between Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine. And it wasn't like Mass Effect where you play essentially the same character, just which ever gender you chose, (even though they certainly had differing points of view) but you got to play RE from two different approaches.

And with RE2, I liked how each character (Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield0 both had A and B games. Play Leon's A game, and you get Claire's B game. Play Claire's A game, and you got Leon's B game.) The nature of such allowed for quite a bit of replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by TaLLa View Post
    Can't say that games are dominated by men anymore. There are much more games where you can choose the gender and even if the played hero is male there are also strong women in the game. Like female spartans in Halo.

I also love female heroes like Lara and Joanna Dark. I prefer them everytime when I have to choose like in Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls series.
    I meant in the game making process. I had an opportunity to work on a video game, and we were only 5 girls.
    Men can't create a believable female character. Most girls that man create have impossible boobs.
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I make mine female for a couple of reasons..

1. I, too, love watching females kick a**!
    2. If I have to look at a character from behind, I'd much rather it be a female.

Same, though I must add after being male all the time its a nice break.

I hope this game as well as upcoming Remember Me and Beyond: Two Souls push this forward some. The mcscruffy face stoic dude protagonist is getting old.

PSN ID: Weeze_Raider

Beyond Two Souls is one game I am looking forward to...largely because I love Ellen Page....crazy about her since I saw her in Xmen United.

I welcome more female Protagonist in game. In fact, anything other than typical white 20-40s tough guy is a breath of freash air.

I think Video game will be more trully be mature if you can accept more diversity. How about having a Protaganist that is a woman that is not totally drop dead gorgorous or have a sexy body. An Asian guy that does involve some Kongfu etc

It's happening, and it's a good thing. White guys in their 30s will probably remain the most frequent protagonists, and there's nothing wrong with that - after all, it's a reflection of the dominant group in the demographic - but more diversity is coming, I'm sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kiadaw View Post
    How about having a Protaganist that is a woman that is not totally drop dead gorgorous or have a sexy body
    Tbf, chell wasn't all that in the first portal (then again you rarely saw her so that could be a moot point!)

never thought gender bothered me in my gaming choices, if it's a good game with a good character then I'll enjoy it. Then I took a look at my shelf, the majority of games I have bought has female protagonist or a choice: tomb raider, primal, D, mirrors edge, portal, heavenly sword etc. Hell I haven't played the male character in pokemon since gold/silver! Maybe I just relate to female characters more, I don't know. I never set out to be like that and I happily spend hours playing as red or Nathan drake.
    signature image

While I would like to see more women protagonists, there's one place that I really think we need to see more women that no one is addressing.

Enemies. Every person Lara kills in the game is male. Female roles in games are nearly always heroic, and if not, they have speaking parts and histories, they're a main villain or a boss fight. I haven't played that many TR games, but in my experience, when you're fighting humans, they're men.

The only games I've played where women were included as ordinary enemies are Final Fantasy VIIirge of Cerberus and the Legacy of Kain series. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 9 have women soldiers, but they're a special all female unit, not at the same level as the males.

Any thoughts on this?

In games like Heavenly Sword, Nariko exclusively kills men (except Whiptail, a bossfight). In Bayonetta, the main female enemy opponent
    In the vast majority of violent games, most or all of the people that the protagonist/s have to kill are male.
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

^ I agree! I was hoping that i will see woman enemy all the time during gameplay but no luck
    signature image

Makes sense in TR9. But yes, would be nice to see some female mercs or pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post
    Any thoughts on this?
    Lots of thoughts on that. Main one is that society is not ready for that yet. First we need to amass believable unobjectified female protagonists who do things for reasons other than their loved ones or children being in danger and don't wear skin tight outfits.

Even new Lara Croft may not be the right representative of grrl power. Developers many times said that they wanted to invoke protective feeling in a player, so that the player would be helping Lara and not being Lara.

P.S. Fallout series always had females as regular enemies.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast