Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Does new Lara look Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by littlecats View Post
    Lara's new look makes me think of Kaylee from Firefly the series and the movie Serenity. Here is a link of the actress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Staite
    Absolutely. She too has two eyes, hair on the head, nose, lips. Perfect resemblence. lol

Well I guess a 100 people will have a 100 opinions about that. But like I wrote, there is only one official face model that was used, so there ya go.

Beta Lara looked a little Asian in the eyes, but ever since they changed her, I think she looks fine. How anyone could think she looks Japanese is beyond me.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Salah-ad Din View Post
    Absolutely. She too has two eyes, hair on the head, nose, lips. Perfect resemblence. lol

Well I guess a 100 people will have a 100 opinions about that. But like I wrote, there is only one official face model that was used, so there ya go.
    When I watched the video that played at the first camp when Lara was talking to that guy, it reminded me of a episode in firefly where Kaylee acted the same way. Plus I have really bad face identifying skills.

Quote Originally Posted by QiX View Post
    By japanese you mean anime/manga character I suppose, because she's obviously caucasian as always. She lost the huge eyes from Core days, her nose no longer looks like Michael Jackson's, her waist/hip ratio finally resembles the human anatomy. I'd say that this Lara is the first one that doesn't look like a manga character in 15 years.
    Kudos! I think Lara looks like a typical european girl. A bit of cat eyes but not realy an evidence for anime style. Japanese games have an other character. Most of them have anime/manga looking characters, some others have a the problem with male characters, where the women look typical western, but the men look realy feminine. Tomb Raider don't have any of this problems/styles imo. The Women are looking like normal girls typical for their country of origin. TR is realy multicultural. And the men are also looking normal.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecats View Post
    Lara's new look makes me think of Kaylee from Firefly the series and the movie Serenity. Here is a link of the actress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Staite
    No...xD

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    Do you all still think that SE buying Eidos was a good thing?
    OT: They brought all the Eidos games to the new era and every one was fine, so yeah it was not only a good thing, it was a perfect one. And I can't wait for the reboot of Thief 4 and Soul Reaver.

No. Her eyes are just not huge like those anime inspired characters in games today. Her character model is supposed to look realistic, not like an anime.
    signature image

In comparison to the original face model her eyes are actually a bit smaller.

Let it go guys. Those who say Lara looks like so & so should travel a little more & took off racial stereotyping glasses. A lot of Russians I know & met have the so call Asian feature, though they are "technical white" with fair colored eyes & hair.

Alot of Western girls have a little almond shaped eyes as well, just like many Asian have natural wide eyes as well. We are after all the same & only human species.

I think it's just kind of a thing that can be attached to Square Enix, some of the characters they worked with had a Japanese-like look, so I can certainly see one seeing Square Enix associated and begin to see something in the character that is not really there just because they almost expect it to be present. Personally, I don't see Lara as looking Japanese at all, she looks just like a caucasian British girl to me.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by EowynFan View Post
    I think it's just kind of a thing that can be attached to Square Enix, some of the characters they worked with had a Japanese-like look, so I can certainly see one seeing Square Enix associated and begin to see something in the character that is not really there just because they almost expect it to be present. Personally, I don't see Lara as looking Japanese at all, she looks just like a caucasian British girl to me.
    Yeah self fullfilling prophecy xD

Even Sam doesn't look all that Asian to me, even though she is supposed to (or half-Asian I guess) let alone Lara.

^ She does in concept, but in game, I agree with you on that
    signature image

Thumbs Down NO WAY ! TOMB RAIDER ARE NOT ANIME!!!

I just read all of your post and glad most of people don't agree with this.

This bother me for a long time already and i believe the tittle refer as "Does new Lara look Japanese anime manga?" HELL NO!!!!! Lara Croft is a UK national treasure there is no way just because Square Enix bought Eidos so they can use their "Final Fetish" stuff (YA I JUST SAID THAT!) to ruin Tomb Raider.

God , i really hate Anime and Manga not just the way they looks (spike hair and stupid giant sword and oversize freak eyes) but also the way they act and talk are very disgraceful ,manga story are very stupid too always about hot-blood iditos and unrealistic friendship or others crap

I was very worry about Square Enix take over Eidos because i really don't like Japanese stuff ,I live at Taiwan which is locate at south of Japan and in here full with Japanese video games ,show and Manga/Anime crap it's poison our mind! Those Japanese style story make this wolrd sounds so beautiful which is unrealistic and absolute not ture ,they did stupid thing like name their super power move and scream battle cry like a BOZO!

Anyway as i said before i was worry about Square Enix take over Eidos ,but than i read this from Life President of Eidos Interactive---Ian Livingstone

http://gamingbolt.com/interview-with...os-interactive

Concerning your role in Eidos, because you started the company from the beginning all the way till now…How has that journey been, moving not just from one generation to another but through at least four or five different generations?

Game companies reach a certain stage where you can no longer get by on your own and clearly you need other skills, other management skills…You need financial capital behind you in order to expand. You need a rich capital to experiment and…you know I play one part in that. I’ve seen and been at the beginning of two companies before Eidos with Games Workshop in a flat in Shepherd’s Bush with an old school friend. And we sold out that to a management buyout. And this time, we floated Eidos and…clearly, every time you raise capital, your own equity reduces, and Eidos was ultimately bought by Square in Japan.

And yeah my role these days is largely ambassadorial, and we clearly share the same vision as the senior management of Square Enix. Eidos has always been about creating original IP as we did at Games Workshop with Warhammer and Spacehawk and Space Marine, etc. In Eidos, we had Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief, Legacy of Kain and Championship Manager. And Square Enix also has that same philosophy with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. IT’s great to be part of an even bigger team which has global reach and built up the distribution and development. Square Enix didn’t acquire Eidos just to move IP back to Japan to make Japanese content.

Quite the opposite, they saw the skill that existed in our 3 premiere studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and IO Interactive. And also saw some of the amazing content we created over the years and they just wanted to make sure that they’ll have the right capital base to ensure that those AAA titles being developed were genuine AAA titles when they were published. So they went the extra mile to particularly make sure it’s the game it as to be.

Have there ever been any changes that Square Enix has made with these franchises that maybe you didn’t agree with or that just felt like a completely different philosophy than what you started the franchise with?

No, Square Enix has been brilliant and afforded creative autonomy. Of course, with games like Tomb Raider, that creative autonomy now rests with Crystal Dynamics itself, so they’d be totally responsible for the creation of the concept to the development of the entire product with the new Tomb Raider. And I must say they’ve done a brilliant job and I can only congratulate them from where I sit.

It's kind of relief for me ,if CEO of Eidos believe Square Enix won't ruin the British video games i believe there must be wisdom,Tomb Raider is British video game ,not Japanese

But still i'm kind of sad to see Eidos seem almost gone (like...defunct) ,ya i know Eidos went to Square Enix Europe now but it doesn't seem fair to defunct Eidos it's a long history mark for all Tomb Raider fan and i notice they remove eidos.com and link it to Sqaure Enix website ,also twitter of old Eidos seem no longer active so does facebook page ,DAMN! I only been Tomb Raider fan for 5 years but i do not wish history been erase.

Also i don't want this reboot erase everything happen before in Tomb Raider ,it's not fair for all diehard Tomb Raider fans.

Off topic a little. I think CD & Eidos should join forces for the next TR game.

Quote Originally Posted by kiadaw View Post
    Off topic a little. I think CD & Eidos should join forces for the next TR game.
    Eidos was a publisher that is Square Enix now. CD is a dev studio. Not really sure what you mean by "join forces".

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Lara doesn't look Japanese or Asian for that matter.

No i don't think i really get off topic it's all about that question "Did she looks like anime?"
    And the answer is NO ,i explain this with Square Enix and Eidos parentship ,all SQUARE ENIX did is pay the money than took the profit than let Crystal Dynamics do the job ,and i believe they did not interfer the creative (or i hope so)

Now after playing the game a little I think Lara is looking somewhat like before but younger. She haven't lost all the traces after all...

And about Square Enix... Hey, they bought Crystal Dynamics, I presume 95% of people working on previous games are now Square Enix employees and made this game also together with some new people.

She doesn't look Japanese at all .I don't where this is coming from.

I think that the in-game Lara kinda had some asian traits. At least (for me) she was more exotic looking than typical caucasian looking.
    He who conquers himself is the mightiest of warriors.

She looked asian in the 2011 demo and in the
    But the new one doesn't D:

Quote Originally Posted by rafaelluik View Post
    Now after playing the game a little I think Lara is looking somewhat like before but younger. She haven't lost all the traces after all...

And about Square Enix... Hey, they bought Crystal Dynamics, I presume 95% of people working on previous games are now Square Enix employees and made this game also together with some new people.
    Ya but it's also very sad Square Enix lay off some employees from Eidos as well. Life never fair.

Isn't Lara Japanese??
    I could swear to god that i heard her say "Ni-Chaow ching chong"
    DDDDDDDDDD:

Quote Originally Posted by GUMI View Post
    Isn't Lara Japanese??
    I could swear to god that i heard her say "Ni-Chaow ching chong"
    DDDDDDDDDD:
    I think that's Chinese for you are doing it wrong
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

NO SHE IS NOT DAMMIT LOL
    Ni-Chaow ching chong...you mean一笑千秋?
    ....never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    I'm not sure New Lara looks Japanese exactly, but to me she looks a bit like a character in a Final Fantasy film. Does that make her look Japanese in some way? What do you think?
    Lara, Japanese?! そんなことないよ

Seriously, no way Lara looks Japanese! Not even a bit.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast