Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot or reboot?

Boot or reboot?

I apologise for this but my fickle attention was attracted by another thread from another place;

How would your opinion of Crystal Dynamics' upcoming survival/adventure game change if they had promoted it as a brand new IP?

Lots of folks here don't see anything Lara about this new protagonist or anything 'tomb raider' about this Tomb Raider. If the game was no longer under the burden of your expectations for what a TR game should be, how would you look at it? Would this brand new game (let's say it'd just be called A Survivor is Born in this alterverse) and new character (hmm... Aisling Shaw?) interest you?

Try to imagine the trailer and gameplay video were never promoted under the names "Tomb Raider" and "Lara Croft" - what would you think of this upcoming game?
    I think the poster's point if that "they" are keeping the four words "Lara Croft Tomb Raider" merely for marketing purposes but that the new game is totally new and nothing to do with Tomb Raider (?) Not sure what I think personally - I think I need more information.

Way I figure it - until we see the game, there's no way to know.

I tend to save my complaints until I have serious ammunition!

It always the big danger with reboots that the original character is lost along the way and all the stuff CD released so far indicates that it could happen here. Not sure yet. Lara is my fav video game character of all time and would be so SO gutted if they end up turning her into somebody else that is nothing like Lara.
    signature image

Well, I suppose I could play this adventure regardless of the character's name or title of the game.

The concept of a young woman shipwrecked on this strange island, trying to survive against much adversity by using her wits, and the scraps she finds on the island is enough to gain my interest.

You can call her Peggy Sue, or Mary Lou, I don't care. And you can call it Tomb Raider, or Survivor, or Eye of the Tiger, I would still play it.

The story and the image of this character is what has captured my imagination, regardless of game title or character name.

Of course, I am also quite willing to play it as Tomb Raider, with a character called Lara Croft, as well, and I hope this is just the start of a new set of games telling this woman's story.

Donna, Gloria, Lola, Michelle, is that you? Lol.

I'm pretty sure I'd ignore it unless it had Tomb Raider or Lara Croft in the title ...

Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'd ignore it unless it had Tomb Raider or Lara Croft in the title ...
    Me too.

Well, I think the best thing would be (don't kill me now) to just leave Tomb Raider alone for a while. They should rename this new game, focus on it and sell it. That would be fine because that way they could make money and revive Tomb Raider without any reboots. I have a feeling they are rebooting just to make money, not to please fans...

Crystal is trying to make Tomb Raider and Lara's character relevant again! The franchise was loosing its appeal and even old fans were starting to loose interest! Tomb Raider NEEDED to change!!!

Personally, I find the general direction of this reboot very appealing and the truth is most of the gaming community has its eyes on this new Tomb Raider!

Could this game work without the Tomb Raider/Lara Croft name? Yeah, I think so! At least to me, it looks good so far! BUT the fact that this is actually about Lara makes it even more interesting!
    signature image

I have no idea how people cannot see how this relates to the other Tomb Raider games or why they are so gunshy about change.

This is how Lara becomes Lara. It's not all new. It's an origin. As for the different events well, I love the X-men and there have been different interpretations of that, such as the Age of Apocalpse, which have actually enhanced the mythos.

I think it just absolutely kills some people that the new TR is getting shedloads of good publicity and reviews thus far, and that some TR fans are actually looking forward to it. Which is a shame. Especially if it does end up being the one to throw TR back into the spotlight. Nobody has to buy it if it doesn't appeal to them. Not buying won't make you not a fan of TR if you dig the older games. Yeah some people might think that, but eff 'em. You know which TR games you like, and there are plenty of them out to re-play.
    Also interesting how threads from TRForrums end up here as well. Can't help but wonder if someone from over there who's here as well is just trying to get people's aggravation into gear. Shame.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    I think it just absolutely kills some people that the new TR is getting shedloads of good publicity and reviews thus far, and that some TR fans are actually looking forward to it. Which is a shame. Especially if it does end up being the one to throw TR back into the spotlight. Nobody has to buy it if it doesn't appeal to them. Not buying won't make you not a fan of TR if you dig the older games. Yeah some people might think that, but eff 'em. You know which TR games you like, and there are plenty of them out to re-play.
    Also interesting how threads from TRForrums end up here as well. Can't help but wonder if someone from over there who's here as well is just trying to get people's aggravation into gear. Shame.
    I'm not trying to aggravate anybody! I just thought these things are interesting to discuss in a discussion forum. I don't see anybody getting aggravated here.

The ideas behind the game are fantastic (even if so based on Lost) and if it wasn't supposed a TR game then I would be really looking forward to it. I can see why it got attention for it's theme. I just don't want to see some completely different imposter character pretend to be Lara and just ride off the value of Lara's name. CD seems to have had some other character in mind or just the drama series Lost and tried to superimpose Lara into that vision. Maybe the thoughts went like 'Lost is awesome. Kate is so cool. She looks a little like Lara. I know let's turn Lara into Kate and put her on an island like the one for Lost'. I would really support CD if they got their own brand new character and had her however they wanted.

You can knock the top 2 floors your standout 3-floor house to match all the bungalows around it if bungalows are in fashion. Even start a bonfire of the matterials to get tons of attention. Five years later you look back and think I miss the old house. By then finding Lara Croft anywhere in the girl you have left is so hard to do. CD could still come through by geting the script to sound unmistakeably Lara. After their choices on weaponary, outfits, voice actress, breast size went against everything Lara I am not sure. I will still buy the game and give em a shot. Finally thanks to Natla for bringing up the arguement. Is nice to let CD and other forum members know our concerns about their reboot and the scale of changes to Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
    The ideas behind the game are fantastic (even if so based on Lost) and if it wasn't supposed a TR game then I would be really looking forward to it. I can see why it got attention for it's theme. I just don't want to see some completely different imposter character pretend to be Lara and just ride off the value of Lara's name. CD seems to have had some other character in mind or just the drama series Lost and tried to superimpose Lara into that vision. Maybe the thoughts went like 'Lost is awesome. Kate is so cool. She looks a little like Lara. I know let's turn Lara into Kate and put her on an island like the one for Lost'. I would really support CD if they got their own brand new character and had her however they wanted.

Yup, you are my hero! I won't say anything because you're totally right. But you have to admit that if the title of this game isn't Tomb Raider, it wouldn't be so popular and people wouldn't be so interested in playing it. The brand is the brand...

Agreeing with Ivana, here. If this game wasn't a Tomb Raider, I'm not sure it would have hit my radar.

'Lara Croft' immediately gains my attention. 'Really short survival horror' - not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    Yup, you are my hero! I won't say anything because you're totally right. But you have to admit that if the title of this game isn't Tomb Raider, it wouldn't be so popular and people wouldn't be so interested in playing it. The brand is the brand...
    I have to disagree with you on that one. CD did an awesome job for the trailer and the demo, so all the attention and positive comments aren't there just because it's a reboot of TR.

At least it's not as bad as Brothers in Arms 'Furious Four'.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanyan View Post
    Well, I suppose I could play this adventure regardless of the character's name or title of the game.

The concept of a young woman shipwrecked on this strange island, trying to survive against much adversity by using her wits, and the scraps she finds on the island is enough to gain my interest.

You can call her Peggy Sue, or Mary Lou, I don't care. And you can call it Tomb Raider, or Survivor, or Eye of the Tiger, I would still play it.

The story and the image of this character is what has captured my imagination, regardless of game title or character name.

Of course, I am also quite willing to play it as Tomb Raider, with a character called Lara Croft, as well, and I hope this is just the start of a new set of games telling this woman's story.

Donna, Gloria, Lola, Michelle, is that you? Lol.
    I agree with Rhanyan, even if it wasn't Tomb Raider i will absolutely be in love with the character and what the developers are offering, simply because it looks epic non the less

Beside it's all the fault of the market, new IPs don't get enough attention and don't sell well, look at Enslaved for example, so why take the risk ?!, especially that you are having a dieing long time franchise TR and the new game settings could work with an origin story for TR and reboot the series to a better look and a whole new level, it is better than making another action adventure game that may fail in terms of sales yet satsify the fans, after all big companies needs money, and if that would have to happen it would be the end to TR, check Legacy Of Kain we are praying for a new game, yet Edios isn't giving us one , so be glad you got a better looking TR game, with something new to offer to the market

I support the developers, and i love the new TR game non the less, i will support it and buy once it is released, that is it for me

I think I would be interested in it, but I wouldn't be as interested in it if it wasn't Tomb Raider. I really like psychological horror games and survival games, so I would think that a psychological survival game (is that even a genre or is Crystal creating a new one) would appeal to me.

I think if Crystal started this as a new IP, there would certainly be a few issues that they would face. New series tend to be hard because even though they have a target audience, they might not necessarily be fans. One of my favourite games called Alan Wake which is a psychological horror game, was highly anticipated because it was new and interesting, the sales within the first two weeks were a lot lower then predicted and only 15,000 copies were sold apparently. I think that Crystal didn't really to create a new IP anyway but they wanted to see how far they could take the series, Lara Croft has such a huge fanbase and there's lot of places that the character has yet to discover.

Since the game hasn't been released, I'm judging from previews that we've had so far, but I think it will be Tomb Raiderish. But I think that it's going to be later on (not the first few levels) where we see our iconic Lara appear.
    My Tomb Raider Fansite, often distracted by shiny things.Click Here for Guns and Grapple

Boot or reboot? If it isn't really TR or Lara then I think I would be sticking the boot into CD over it. I just wouldn't be a happy bunny. Hoping for it only to be partial reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    Crystal is trying to make Tomb Raider and Lara's character relevant again! The franchise was loosing its appeal and even old fans were starting to loose interest! Tomb Raider NEEDED to change!!!

Personally, I find the general direction of this reboot very appealing and the truth is most of the gaming community has its eyes on this new Tomb Raider!

Could this game work without the Tomb Raider/Lara Croft name? Yeah, I think so! At least to me, it looks good so far! BUT the fact that this is actually about Lara makes it even more interesting!
    I agree.

If square enix could put enough marketing and hype behind the same game with a different name, it would surely catch on.
    I respect your intelligence, just not your integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    It's just a name. What really matters is the actual game, not a few fickle and harmless letters that are put on the front cover.

As they say, don't judge a book by its cover.

It's a name with history, though. Even people who wouldn't dream of picking up any kind of computer or console game know who Lara Croft is. Just by putting the Tomb Raider logo on something, you will gain attention that you would not get with an unknown character.

Turning that instant attention into interest is the trick, and so far, so good, I'd say. Then CD will have to deliver, but there's no way of knowing whether they've managed that until we have the game in our hands...
    signature image

If it helps their sales and marketing, good for them. Would probably prompt a sequel, but history isn't the important factor in the new Tomb Raider. If anything, it's the lack of it.

Their decision to throw everything away and begin creating a believable and relevant character is what is important, and how they portray this new person in a tough environment, that too.

What really matters is the data on the disc. The title pales in importance when compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenas View Post
    It's just a name. What really matters is the actual game, not a few fickle and harmless letters that are put on the front cover
    Those letters represent one video game's greatest series and one of it's most iconic heroes. It's over 10 years of heritage. I really love Lara and for me she means so much more than just a name. The TR name is why I will buy this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenas View Post
    Their decision to throw everything away and begin creating a believable and relevant character is what is important, and how they portray this new person in a tough environment, that too.

What really matters is the data on the disc. The title pales in importance when compared to that.
    Their decision to throw everything away and begin creating what CD see as a believable and relevant character is what is...... a dreadful silly decision . Compromising everything about her is hardy joyous. CD had a great character to work with before this.

If Lara isn't properly going to be Lara 90% I won't be able to like the whole game. CD chose to call the game after the original. They put themselves up for the responsibility of making an actual TR game not everything but that. I want to see CD smudge/rewrite Lara's image and completely alter her looks/personality as much I want to hit myself over the head - which is not at all!!. With any other character I would probably not care. Is so sad that liking who Lara is makes me against this game but thus far I believe it may. Much as I criticize CD here I want them to put lots of Lara in and really then get the game right. Discounting the screw up on Lara the rest of the game and graphics look spot on so far.

Greenas,

The data on the disk may be the most wonderful thing ever, but that doesn't matter if nobody plays it. There have been some terrific games that went almost completely under the radar and some dreadful games that sold amazingly purely on their name.

History is important to the new Tomb Raider not because it makes the actual game good or bad, but because there can't be a single gamer alive who does not know who Lara Croft is. You cannot buy that kind of name recognition for a new release.

'Sonya Blake is shipwrecked on a mysterious cursed island and must survive until she can break the curse and escape' might or might not catch the world's attention. Substitute 'Lara Croft' for 'Sonya Blake' and suddenly everyone notices.

Fans immediately want the game. Lapsed fans are curious and will look. NON-fans will at least look because they know the name, as they would with any big franchise. And best of all, the gamer press will want all the details soonest.

Lara has been getting huge press attention, lately. Cover stories, long articles, interviews, the works. All stuff that just would not happen without that history.

(For the curious, 'Sonya Blake' is a name I made up on the spur of the moment to illustrate my point. Don't bother Googling her! )
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Greenas,

The data on the disk may be the most wonderful thing ever, but that doesn't matter if nobody plays it. There have been some terrific games that went almost completely under the radar and some dreadful games that sold amazingly purely on their name.

History is important to the new Tomb Raider not because it makes the actual game good or bad, but because there can't be a single gamer alive who does not know who Lara Croft is. You cannot buy that kind of name recognition for a new release.

'Sonya Blake is shipwrecked on a mysterious cursed island and must survive until she can break the curse and escape' might or might not catch the world's attention. Substitute 'Lara Croft' for 'Sonya Blake' and suddenly everyone notices.

Fans immediately want the game. Lapsed fans are curious and will look. NON-fans will at least look because they know the name, as they would with any big franchise. And best of all, the gamer press will want all the details soonest.

Lara has been getting huge press attention, lately. Cover stories, long articles, interviews, the works. All stuff that just would not happen without that history.

(For the curious, 'Sonya Blake' is a name I made up on the spur of the moment to illustrate my point. Don't bother Googling her! )
    I agree, the name is important, but if CD had continued with the character as she was in Underworld, the game wouldn't have half the attention it's getting now!!!! Mostly, only fans would care, but with this reboot most of the gaming community is paying attention!!!!

So yeah, the name is important, but the name alone is not enough!
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast