Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why remove swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by Lara_Fan_84 View Post
    It's for reference. If people make random posts it won't make sense.
    Anvie said UP neighbor. When you reply to someone who posted as last in the thread, you don't need to quote, because then it's understood you are directing the last post

Usually a simple "^" at the start of your text suffices.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Anvie said UP neighbor. When you reply to someone who posted as last in the thread, you don't need to quote, because then it's understood you are directing the last post

Usually a simple "^" at the start of your text suffices.
    Yes it works unless the forum is busy and someone else posts at the same time you do and you may be agreeing with something that has nothing to do with what you're talking about. I will keep ^^ in mind though thanks for the information.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    I probably won't be the only person to be thinking this but removing the swimming is just weird, Lara has always swam, it's usually a puzzle aspect also.
    So, CD, why can't Lara swim?
    Community, why do you think so?

I think since they started fresh and redid everything for the reboot, why would they need to include swimming? It was never in the game so never removed, what has been in past games is nothing to do with the new one. Lara can swim, we saw her wade her way through a watery underground tunnel, she managed not to drown. Swimming is not a feature of this game, if they did not need it for anything, why include it. There are lots of adventure/action games that do not have the main character swimming, some very popular games have even had the main character drown when they fell in water. At least we do not have to survive a Lara who can drown as soon as she gets in the water. They will probably include swimming as part of the gameplay in a later game, why worry about it, there seems to be plenty of other things to do in the game.
    Emma Watson would make a great Lara, and a British actress should play a British icon!

^ Preach it, Aussie!
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
    I think since they started fresh and redid everything for the reboot, why would they need to include swimming? It was never in the game so never removed, what has been in past games is nothing to do with the new one. Lara can swim, we saw her wade her way through a watery underground tunnel, she managed not to drown. Swimming is not a feature of this game, if they did not need it for anything, why include it. There are lots of adventure/action games that do not have the main character swimming, some very popular games have even had the main character drown when they fell in water. At least we do not have to survive a Lara who can drown as soon as she gets in the water. They will probably include swimming as part of the gameplay in a later game, why worry about it, there seems to be plenty of other things to do in the game.

BTW, I quoted because the last person to post wasn't the one I wanted to respond to.

Ok so I agree with this. I'm sure like you said we'll have plenty to do that we won't even care that there was no swimming. Perhaps we might even have something to do that will make up for the fact that there is no swimming.
    signature image

So i heard a rumor that lara somehow uncovers this object of some sort wakes the dead on the island and has to battle her way to survival...and encounters natla............Im assuming its fake but i also heard that tomb raider is having 3 more games come out and than its ending....I dont know what to belive anymore :P
    Ya Lose Some Ya Win Some, Long As The Outcome Is Income!

^ that's the problem with rumors because...well, it's a rumor Unless I hear it from a CD employee or see it in the game when it comes out, then I am not likely to believe it. The simple fact that the name "Natla" is being brought up tells me that this isn't true. I figured that based on Karl's various interviews that none of the old characters would be putting in an appearance...ever.
    "I'd like to say it was nice to meet you, but that would be a lie"
    signature image

I'd agree with Sierra on this one. Plus 'Lara wakes the evil she then has to put down' is basically the plot of TR4. Don't think they'd repeat.
    signature image

Thumbs Down I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    I probably won't be the only person to be thinking this but removing the swimming is just weird, Lara has always swam, it's usually a puzzle aspect also.
    So, CD, why can't Lara swim?
    Community, why do you think so?
    Hmmm...I agree with you.
    When I used to play TR and just want Lara to play around the manor or wherever she maybe, I like making her swim. I find it fun.
    Plus, it adds to the versatility of the mechanics of the game.
    Would they not include rivers or any type of bodies of water to the view of the game?
    That would really be weird since Lara goes to mountains and caves.
    They should not remove that. That's really weird.

At first I thought that perhaps it was not done due to technological issues. Perhaps with all of the physics based problem solving, maybe there was an issue with Lara's physics and the physics of other more buoyant objects. Just a N00b thought. However, I then thought that perhaps they simply didn't have time for it, or were working on things they thought were more important. Perhaps they didn't mean she can't physically swim, but that there is no reason to enter the water as there is nothing to look for. In that sense TRU has swimming, an entire underwater level (2 actually).

But no, it seems the answer we get is some mixed up language involving sensational words like "Experience" and PR [talk]

I eventually decided I did not care about an explanation as to why, but more of an explanation as to how. We've seen Lara in water, so she can wade in water, but not even swim on the surface? Evidence of this is the Wolf Den demo which was recently seen in Paris. Lara exits the Wolf Den and returns to camp by sliding off of a waterfall and into a pool of water (which I'd assume is deep enough for her to land in) which somehow happens to be shallow enough for her to wade out of.

I don't like the sound of sliding, how do you slide off of a waterfall?

Realistically, the stream would pull you off and you'd land in the water. If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing. Being able to wade in that water gives me the idea that it would be too shallow. So something is tricky here, and fishy.

I agree with people who say that a huge piece of Tomb Raider is gone with swimming. I don't think it deserves to be in the game simply because it's always been there, I think CD give it purpose in the one game which it is not featured.

By that I mean, this game to me is not really an introduction into Lara's past, biography, schooling. It's not an introduction into relic finding (or so I'm led to believe), it's simply an introduction to the survival that is goes hand-in-hand with Tomb Raiding. Part of that survival is water, some tombs are submerged, this is a huge part of survival and the most vulnerable place to be for us is most likely under water. We're under time, physics are different, there can be currents, tight spaces to slow us, darkness, etc...

CD are really going to hype swimming in TR10, like it's the next best thing.

We'll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by larafan-25 View Post
    I don't like the sound of sliding, how do you slide off of a waterfall?

Realistically, the stream would pull you off and you'd land in the water. If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing. Being able to wade in that water gives me the idea that it would be too shallow. So something is tricky here, and fishy.
    I don't see what's fishy. It could simply be a not to high waterfall. Like a slide in a waterpark, which then lands you into a pool with water about chest high.

Would sound perfectly realistic to me

Clara might know the details, though. She played the demo. I'll see if I can get her into this thread...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I don't see what's fishy. It could simply be a not to high waterfall. Like a slide in a waterpark, which then lands you into a pool with water about chest high.

Clara might know the details, though. She played the demo. I'll see if I can get her into this thread...
    Yeah, now that you explained, it makes sense to me too, it's not a steep waterfall, like 90°, but a "sliding waterfall"
    I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo (yeah, Clara, damn you )
    signature image

I'm sticking with 'won't judge what I haven't played'. Seems safest
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo
    I'm not. I was invited to a private demo hands-on

The next prize for a competetition should be a free hands-on demo??

/\ YES DEFINITELY!
    signature image

Although it would be difficult to pan out...

Well Driber hasn't slashed our dreams yet
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    I'm sticking with 'won't judge what I haven't played'. Seems safest
    I like your attitude It is a little difficult to not get my hopes up, but then again, anything TR will be good for me.
    "I'd like to say it was nice to meet you, but that would be a lie"
    signature image

Those are the Clara details.

It could very well have been a stream of water with a short drop. Who knows? only the people who've seen.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with the waterfall and the pool of water. Lara has been going through shallow water for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by larafan-25
    If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing.
    From what I remember, the waterfall wasn't high. I paid attention to Lara's moves at that moment because you asked a question about Lara diving from the top of a waterfall. But no, sliding is the word, as you slide down a river, when the stream is strong. You know, you go with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Yeah, now that you explained, it makes sense to me too, it's not a steep waterfall, like 90°, but a "sliding waterfall"
    I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo (yeah, Clara, damn you )
    Well I clearly am not the only one and many others are going to have that chance too. I can't wait to read more reactions, maybe their description will be clearer than mine, although I can't see how much clearer I can be about this waterfall thing... :/

I'm not. I was invited to a private demo hands-on
    When?! Can you talk about it?
    Adventure found me...

Quote Originally Posted by Clara View Post
    When?! Can you talk about it?
    No, top secret classified information

Seriously, though, it'll be similar to the private event you went to. But I'm not going. A big part of me would love to play the demo, but an even bigger part of me hates spoilers.

I rather be WOW'ed when the game will be released, and properly play it.

No, top secret classified information

Seriously, though, it'll be similar to the private event you went to. But I'm not going. A big part of me would love to play the demo, but an even bigger part of me hates spoilers.

I rather be WOW'ed when the game will be released, and properly play it.
    I'LL GO!!!
    signature image

^ Me too
    signature image

They take her to an island and remove her ability to swim...
    So they took away her age, history, breast and ability to swim...if it didnt look so amazing from the e3 demo, Id have no faith in them. Better be on par with Uncharted 3 or they might be in trouble.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast