Thread: In-game advertisements

In-game advertisements

Originally Posted by Romeo
    No, but for example, when I see ads that are real, it's all about the presentation, not the company. If I see a modern day "2011" ad in a 2037 setting, it's going to be jarring whether it's for Ford or for Frankie's Obviously Real Dealership (See: Not real). By the same token, having a Ford ad showing a car concept that looks like it fits in 2037 is going to seem just as perfect as Frankie's ad in the same setting. The content of the ad is irrelevent, it all about how they're shown.

Then you appear to be rather confused by how ads work in videogames... I cannot recall ever having my game stop and be interrupted so I could learn about Wendy's "Baconator" through a TV-style commercial. An obvious example was when Dodge was heavily involved with advertising in games. The ways they're presented in game are through:

• Mimicking real life urban ads, such as through billboards, signs and other visual cues. This would be like having a giant sign which has Dodge's new model. Crackdown did this.
    • Having the product worked in to the environment. This would be like having Dodge car models in the game, or having a Dodge dealer in the game. Rainbow Six: Vegas did this.
    • By using in-game radio to run radio ads. This would be exactly as it is in real life, just instead of "make-believe" ads, they're real products. Saints Row (Beta) did this.

As I've said, the ads themselves are not problematic. Hell, when they're done well, I find it can enhance the game. It's only the execution that is of concern. You mention that you dislike TV ads. Those ads give you your show for free. If you dislike them, go to iTunes and pay for the show. Problem solved.
    i dont want a 2011 personality to appear in a game that happens in 2027 or something

like i said some time ago, an ad like "With my new augmented jaws, i can eat as many as i want!" where it shows a man eating a burger at mcdonals

that's good and fine

i dont want currently existing ads in the game, i dont care how they are implemented they need to fit the game world
    It's only the execution that is of concern. You mention that you dislike TV ads. Those ads give you your show for free. If you dislike them, go to iTunes and pay for the show. Problem solved.
    i don't paticulary care about that, in fact i dont give a single , i just hate ads

the tv is off most of the time by the way, i dont force myself to watch tv or anything
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1554/deusexhumanrevolutionna.jpg
    the best dx hr screenshot there is no one has seen it!

Originally Posted by Fluffis
    Yeeees... but they don't have to be localized... or from 2011... or even real.
    Assuming EM lacks access to time travel, of course they have to be ‘from’ 2011. Also, aren't real companies immersion-supporting for a 2027 setting, as opposed to making up huge conglomerates unheard of just 16 years ago?
    signature image

Originally Posted by Saerain
    Assuming EM lacks access to time travel, of course they have to be ‘from’ 2011. Also, aren't real companies immersion-supporting for a 2027 setting, as opposed to making up huge conglomerates unheard of just 16 years ago?
    Wow... that is so not related to anything I meant.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

You buy a bus ticket, doesn't mean the bus was free to make.
    No, but I never said that, did I? Guess what they buy from all the bus tickets (after paying the bills)? New buses.
    Just the same, some of my money paid to the provider is used to fund the infrastructure providing the service.

I just wanted to differentiate between something paid for by ads (like free tv or free web services) and something paid for by myself that's supposed to be ad-free in turn (like pay-tv, or Deus Ex:HR )

As for your prediction, I don't know how to say this politely, but your idea actually made me laugh.
    One of the reasons I usually avoid this kind of argumentation. But nevertheless I'm convinced publishers are going to increase in-game advertisement if they feel they can get away with it. Judging from this thread there's still a lot of potential. Already many people don't seem to care.
    And now consider that we tend to get used to things like that over time.

Summary of thread:

People who support the idea please explain to me why the paintings in the museums do not look like this.

Added a little something-something for effect.

Edit: of course, this version will only be shown to Australian visitors.
    (Regional variations may apply)
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Originally Posted by mahmoudd
    i don't paticulary care about that, in fact i dont give a single , i just hate ads
    You hate all advertising?
    I mean there's plenty of annoying advertisments, but there's quite a few comical gems in there and without advertisements, you'd never know a product existed.

Originally Posted by El Zoido
    No, but I never said that, did I? Guess what they buy from all the bus tickets (after paying the bills)? New buses.
    Just the same, some of my money paid to the provider is used to fund the infrastructure providing the service.

I just wanted to differentiate between something paid for by ads (like free tv or free web services) and something paid for by myself that's supposed to be ad-free in turn (like pay-tv, or Deus Ex:HR )
    You guys got completely ad-free tv? Wait you've got free tv!

One of the reasons I usually avoid this kind of argumentation. But nevertheless I'm convinced publishers are going to increase in-game advertisement if they feel they can get away with it. Judging from this thread there's still a lot of potential. Already many people don't seem to care.
    Well you're example was a bit absurd. Will in-game advertising pick up, maybe if it pays off. I just can't see any developer in their right mind allowing stuff like pop-up advertisements and stuff like that.
    Product placement and ad-server linked billboards is about as far as it will go.

I remember a few years back tv experimented with ads that started unannounced. That did not last long, a lot of backlash on that.

Originally Posted by Donvermicelli
    People who support the idea please explain to me why the paintings in the museums do not look like this.
    (Not as a supporter but...)
    Answer: Because the ads are at entrance, in the restaurant or near/in the gift shop. And often museums get subsidized or are goverment/public organizations not all that concerned with running a big profit.
    Those that aren't probably have quite a few ways of making money. Like auctioneering, collection loaning and perhaps doing double duty as a gallery and of course gift shops, restaurants, memberships and organizations to back them up.

A museum is quite different beast.

Originally Posted by Poison_Berrie
    A museum is quite different beast.
    For now...

I mean there's plenty of annoying advertisments, but there's quite a few comical gems in there and without advertisements, you'd never know a product existed.
    Comical gems are great, but there are epic epic and inventive ones too. Recently theres been loads of artistic and visually intriguing ones.. the only ones I can think of are car adverts it seems. Not to mention I've found more than a few great bands thanks to a tune in the background and a quick Google search :P

But back on topic, to be honest I think things are being blown out of proportion. They're not going to be pop-ups in your face. If you're actually playing the game its very unlikely to notice a certain advert amongst the others. Is it even confirmed that they will be in the actual game? Not everyone has an Internet connection (to my understanding it works via servers)? Are we sure it isn't just something done for the preview builds for some quick cash?

Regardless, I don't understand who would think this kind of advertisement would secure ANY sales at all..

it's not about what ifs, it's the simple fact that we are overflooded with ads everywhere
    when i was young i wouldn't mind because i just didnt pay attention
    now i just cant stand them
    and if i ever need something, i know where to look at, i don't need obtrusive ads down my throat like youtube and gametrailers do recently
    also yes, there are good ads, but they are rare like diamonds
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1554/deusexhumanrevolutionna.jpg
    the best dx hr screenshot there is no one has seen it!

If only these forums had a reductio ad absurdum filter alongside its curse filter...

I can see (most) people objections to in-game advertising, although those spitting their dummy out and refusing to buy the game for that reason alone perhaps need to wind it back in a little. Best case scenario is that the ads served out to the preview build were just placeholder ads, and the real-life ads served to the actual game will be better-"fitting" and more apt. Worse case scenario is every hour or so you might glance upon a 2011 advert. Annoying? Possibly. Game-breaking? Unlikely.

I recently started playing Rainbow Six: Vegas, given the references the devs have made to it, and am probably now about 75% through. I didn't realise until Jerion pointed it out earlier in this thread that it even had in-game advertising! Now I grant you, it's a different beast to DX:HR, and its linear nature, mission-based gameplay, and un-unique graphic style means I was not exploring the environment to the same level that I will be with DX:HR, but even so. If the story is compelling, and the gameplay is good, I'm not going to be thrown out of the immersion by a contempary advert or two. I probably won't even process it as a 2011 advert. It's a bit like people who watch, say, Life on Mars (I'm thinking UK series but probably true of the US one too) and just sit looking for anachronisms like a 1974 song being played in a 1972-based episode, rather than just enjoying the show.

Originally Posted by mahmoudd
    i dont want a 2011 personality to appear in a game that happens in 2027 or something

like i said some time ago, an ad like "With my new augmented jaws, i can eat as many as i want!" where it shows a man eating a burger at mcdonals

that's good and fine

i dont want currently existing ads in the game, i dont care how they are implemented they need to fit the game world

the tv is off most of the time by the way, i dont force myself to watch tv or anything
    No, and I don't want anything that seems related to 2011 included either, I don't think anyone does.

You may not care if you don't watch TV, but my point was still spot on: If you hate ads so much, you can elect to "buy" the show at iTunes, where there isn't any ads.

The point still stands though: You still have two seperate people (The user and the advertiser) paying for two seperate transactions (Access to the internet and the bandwidth to run a site), which is no different than the two seperate people (The user and the government) paying for the two seperate transactions (Access to the bus and purchasing those buses to begin with). I still don't see the connection between your internet fee and a reason why there shouldn't be advertising on the sites you visit. You arn't paying for them to run the site. I realise you are paying to access the internet, and to use the internet to view their site, but there still is no money given to them for bandwidth as a result of that. That money has to come from somewhere. So unless you feel it'd be better to run sites on a "pay to view" kind of basis, I will gladly take my advertisements.

And the reason I find it funny is because it's a completely assanine assumption to make that players would continue to purchase a product where such a glaringly bad example of advertising was shoved down their throats. Given that movies have existed for ALOT longer than games, and I still don't have situations where my movie is stopped halfway through to show a McDonald's ad, I feel relatively secure in the belief that game designers wont attempt such a brazenly stupid act. Sure, there is more subliminal advertising (GM being the good guys in Transformers, Aquafina being the only purified water in The Island) but that stuff doesn't negatively impact the experience, and so why would I care in the least? If game designers want to increase their budget by putting in very subtle advertising, go for it. Either it'll be done in a way that fits the game, and that'll be fine, or it'll stand out, and people wont trust you for the next game, making it a commercial failure.
    "Square Root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed so harmless..."

You may not care if you don't watch TV, but my point was still spot on: If you hate ads so much, you can elect to "buy" the show at iTunes, where there isn't any ads.
    And in this case (the game) this choice doesn't exist. You have to buy it and have ads, or you don't get it at all.

I still don't see the connection between your internet fee and a reason why there shouldn't be advertising on the sites you visit. You arn't paying for them to run the site
    Ok, forget the internet example, it wasn't exactly the best one. (Not that your buses were, at least here new buses aren't completely paid for by the government. )

Given that movies have existed for ALOT longer than games, and I still don't have situations where my movie is stopped halfway through to show a McDonald's ad, I feel relatively secure in the belief that game designers wont attempt such a brazenly stupid act.
    But that happens all the time. Whenever I switch on tv. Non-public(public=government-funded) tv is financed by advertisement. Which means that every 20-30 minutes I have to endure about 5 minutes of advertisements.
    If it's different where you are from, please tell me where that is, I might consider emigrating.

Now, I don't expect games to deteriorate that far, but still I'm afraid in-game advertisements may take hold and increase. I oppose that, which is for me indeed a reason not to buy the game (at least not full-price).

And here this choice doesn't exist. You have to buy it and have ads, or you don't get it at all.

Ok, forget the internet example, it wasn't exactly the best one. (Not that your buses were, at least here new buses aren't completely paid for by the government. )

But that happens all the time. Whenever I switch on tv. Non-public(public=government-funded) tv is financed by advertisement. Which means that every 20-30 minutes I have to endure about 5 minutes of advertisements.
    If it's different where you are from, please tell me where that is, I might consider emigrating.

Now, I don't expect games to deteriorate that far, but still I'm afraid in-game advertisements may take hold and increase. I oppose that, which is for me indeed a reason not to buy the game (at least not full-price).
    No, the TV here has ads for the exact same reason internet sites do. The money I pay for access doesn't go straight to TV producers to make their show. Would I like TV without ads? Sure. But hell, if they're footing the bill, then that's fine by me.

As for the top most case, you're right, if those ads intrude upon something I paid for - that's wrong, and as such, I'll be sure not to buy from the company again. No different than a movie in that case.

Originally Posted by mentalkase
    The double-decker city is a flight of fancy sure, but otherwise Hengsha looks at most 25 yrs in the future.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/...ngsha-Hive.jpg

What exactly looks so futuristic in that screenshot? Is it the super futuristic noodle bar? Or maybe it's the crazy sci-fi bicycles.
    Now that looks good! OK, maybe I was getting a bit emotional. I do desperately want to love this game.

On the question of the double-decker city, look at how far most Western cities have come in the past 100 years...with the exception of taller buildings and cars not a lot has drastically changed, especially for European cities. There is a real question of whether humans can generate and sustain the resources required for further massive expansion and development of our cities, or creation of so called "super cities" and whether we even want this in the first place! As cities become too large the quality of life generally declines due to problems like overcrowding and congestion, pollution, long travel times, insufficient public transport, crime, stress and lack of green space to name just a few. It's of no surprise then that most of the cities that rate highest in quality of life indices generally fall in to the "just right" zone of medium-sized cities. That is, those cities that are large enough to support a diverse labour market, multi-mode public transport or mass-transit systems and good entertainment but are still small enough to avoid the worst of the problems described above. Of course, how large this "just right" zone is depends a lot on how well planned the city is also.
    Vince: "Don't talk, or we'll feed you to the karkians!"

Originally Posted by Fluffis
    Added a little something-something for effect.

Edit: of course, this version will only be shown to Australian visitors.
    (Regional variations may apply)
    lol! Indian gamers would probably have to endure his mug too.

Originally Posted by Poison_Berrie
    You don't hate all advertising?

I find it amazing that people exist who actually like ads. If you want to find out about new products, use Google, ffs.

I find it amazing that people exist who actually like ads. If you want to find out about new products, use Google, ffs.
    Hate seems like a really strong word. So when you see an advert on TV or on a billboard do you literally get angry..? Some adverts can be annoying when you see them enough times or if they're just not your taste or something.

They can be annoying if they're frequent enough (like when I was in the US I found it surprising there were adverts at the end of a program but before the credits and sometimes right after the intro) but some are just trying to send a message (for charities for example) and some send the message for their product in a cool or hilarious manner. Doesn't really mean I'll buy the product or anything though, but its a still a medium for someones creativity so I don't mind appreciating it.

If I don't like an advert or something, I'll just ignore lol? Adverts on the radio bug me the most though, just when I want to listen to some music. Maybe I'm just conditioned to accept adverts on television lol

But on topic, from a business stand point, I really can't imagine how many sales this would actually secure.. If this actually is really in the full game, I'll be surprised.

Just out of interest, after all the uproar and kerfuffle and fourteen pages of complaints, shouting and threats of withdrawing their pre-order... did anyone who has played the leaked preview build actually see an advert?

Originally Posted by caitsith01

I'm old enough to remember when ordinary people didn't have Internet and knowing the existence and information about a product meant advertising and/or going to a store and asking.

What's so inherently wrong with advertising. You probably know the existence of a lot of products because of it.
    It's also obvious you don't have any products of your own you wish to sell.

Big time companies advertising in a game about global conspiracy? Anyone else see the irony in that?
    "So I guess we both keep on dreamin, huh?! Metal head?!"

There is huge irony...

Unfortunately, the game is perfect for in-game advertizing. The game is urban, it requires sometimes for the player to go through an area slowly and carefully, it's long and it's meant to be replayed several times. In the language of advertizing, the consumer will be exposed multiple times to the same ad, making it very appealing. I don't mind it too much as long as it's tasteful, and as long as it pays the bills for DEUS EX 3. Would I play Call of Duty will ads? No. Hell I don't play it without ads.

I'm seriously questioning the need for any more money to be given pre-release, with so much excessive expenditure going on.

Originally Posted by pi r squared
    Just out of interest, after all the uproar and kerfuffle and fourteen pages of complaints, shouting and threats of withdrawing their pre-order... did anyone who has played the leaked preview build actually see an advert?
    From what I've read in other forums, no.
    I'd certainly like to read an official statement on the topic.
    If not, I guess we will know for sure once it's released. I anyway don't preorder games.

Originally Posted by Renegen
    ...and as long as it pays the bills for DEUS EX 3
    No. I have to pay 50-60 bucks for the game. That's what should pay the bills for the game.

Originally Posted by pi r squared
    Sir Cumference (OH HO HO!), from what I've heard there was advertising in the preview build, yes.

Page 14 of 37 First First ... 410111213141516171824 ... Last