Thread: (PC) "Pretty long to reload a save on the SAME level"

(PC) "Pretty long to reload a save on the SAME level"

(PC) "Pretty long to reload a save on the SAME level"

Before I start, I've pre-ordered the AE and will not cancel my pre-order under any circumstances BUT this lazy implementation really annoys me...

Taken from http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/06/ho...n-feels-on-pc/ (nice to see an honest PC preview by the way) "The most noticeable thing on a good PC is that loading times are pretty long, even to reload a save on the same level. Performance is another thing that can change a lot towards the end of development, so I won’t pretend to know how this’ll compare to the final code."

The loading code is driven by design decisions made by Nixxes and is NOT a minor thing to fix a couple of months before delivery. I wouldn't suggest that fixing this should delay the PC release, but I'd like to get a comment from Eidos on this.

Hard to say. Loading times are going to very from machine to machine, and one persons definition of a long load time might not match another persons. I doubt you'll ever Eidos to come out and give you numbers, if that's what you're asking for.

Ultimately there are some things where we'll just have to wait and see.

I guess what I'd like them to say is "The PC in-level reload times will have a minimal effect on the gameplay experience." However, I'd be surprised if we hear anything about it at all. I'll ask Nixxes...

The Empire Total War demo had massive load times. But they fixed it in the release, that however was possibly because people were moaning about it and it was a PC only game.

So, it may, or may not be fixed in the release. :/

SSD's need to become cheaper fast

Loading is slow on all platforms, known bug, will be fixed afaik

I'd only worry about this issue if it was the final build, ready for release. It's not.

I am sure it will be fixed befoer launch as well

Early build?
    Play games for the story

Originally Posted by musicrab
    The loading code is driven by design decisions made by Nixxes and is NOT a minor thing to fix a couple of months before delivery.
    I used to work in the games industry, and I can say honestly that loading times can change massively in just a few months prior to release. I've mentioned it before, but we once got a game in for testing about a month before release which took about 10 minutes to get from console boot to the menu screen (which was 3D and used the game engine, so required loading.) It was so bad that we all thought it simply crashed on boot at first. However, by final release, that time was less than a minute.

I'm not worried about this now. If the loading times are still this bad if and when we get a demo I'll be more concerned, but for now this is a non-issue.

The loading code is driven by design decisions made by Nixxes and is NOT a minor thing to fix a couple of months before delivery.
    Actually, it is.

Before I start, I've pre-ordered the AE and will not cancel my pre-order under any circumstances BUT this lazy implementation really annoys me...

Taken from http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/06/ho...n-feels-on-pc/ (nice to see an honest PC preview by the way) "The most noticeable thing on a good PC is that loading times are pretty long, even to reload a save on the same level. Performance is another thing that can change a lot towards the end of development, so I won’t pretend to know how this’ll compare to the final code."

The loading code is driven by design decisions made by Nixxes and is NOT a minor thing to fix a couple of months before delivery. I wouldn't suggest that fixing this should delay the PC release, but I'd like to get a comment from Eidos on this.
    Design decisions made by Nixxes? erm.. not sure where u get that from. All design decisions come from EM.

Also without it saying `it took over 5 seconds` a verbal `pretty long` could mean ANYTHING so without a scale is not worth anything.. Cos i thought 5 seconds was `pretty long` for a loading time..
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Yeah long loading vs. fast loading is very subjective. I used to think 30 second loading was decent on my old system but now I get about 5 seconds and can't tolerate anything more. I can't pretend I know anything about the actual game development side but I would assume that's something they could fix and now in gaming isn't as much of a problem in that it also depends on your system (fallout new vegas on my new computer takes 10 seconds tops no matter how intense the load whereas it used to take maybe even 1 minute).

What I'd be more worried about is where the loading occurs tbh. One thing that really pissed me off about IW was WHERE the loading was. It seemed every time I wanted to go to a new area there'd be a ridiculously long loading screen (despite my system specs) and it would completely cut me out of the experience whereas in the original and in other games almost the entire map was free for exploring except for a couple of short interior loads which didn't even pop up a screen. Since it's more modern and obviously they have more tools I expect large environments but I'm not sure if any info has come up about that. As long as there's some sort of easy and smooth transition and not too many load screens I'm a happy camper (a great example is in Crysis 2, they had long loads because of the huge environments and quite intense system requirements despite even super computers but the way they did it displayed the story and other things going on so it felt like you were taken out of the action a bit less; if DX:HR could do something similar that'd be great although I'll bet there are many out there who hated the Crysis 2 style load either due to having a slower machine or just not liking the concept), separate loading screens that just display a picture and a bar to me honestly just don't really belong anymore, especially if they're long because one could get away with maybe 5-10 seconds as just seeming like a small interruption (yes that means you tip loading screens, I don't need 20 seconds to read one tip).

file optimisations are occurring all the time during development. Every game engine handles loading/saving differently. Some `kill` the entire thing to load in sequence again to ensure things are as should be. some are designed for `instant` loading due to fact game `controls` everything, ie heavily scripted game as opposed to freeflowing open games. oh and yes, system specs will also have a big factor in it all, faster equals quicker..

how long is long for them
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1554/deusexhumanrevolutionna.jpg
    the best dx hr screenshot there is no one has seen it!

How long is a piece of string?
    Originally Posted by MrFoxter
    Reading news about DX:HR is like watching a soap opera. My daily amount of emotions has been exceeded.

Originally Posted by Senka
    Exactly.

However long or short it is made and cut.

(click image to enlarge)

Originally Posted by JCpie
    However long or short it is made and cut.
    or twice as long as half a piece of string.

Electronic old men.

This is quite possibly the best response possible to the thread.

*bow*
    Schon trübet der Mond sich verschwindenden Scheins, die Glocke, sie donnert ein mächtiges Eins, und unten zerschellt das Gerippe. -Göthe, Totentanz