Thread: "THE HIVE" - Buzzing with Random Activity! General Chat Thread

"THE HIVE" - Buzzing with Random Activity! General Chat Thread

Originally Posted by JCpie
    Yeah, I'm just pointing people to places where they can find DeBeers.
    I've heard deBeers there are really cold, and the bartender likes to talk a lot about sociology.

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades
    No, just pointing them at the best restaurant in Detroit.

(:
    The Hive is not in Detroit And it's not a restaurant.

Like if you expend your energy taking down police in the streets and just enter and exit the Sarif Industries and immediately regain what you've used, creating a rather cheap and unsatisfying (and inexplicable) mechanism for recovery. Taking a journey via Malik's VTOL provides a reason that you would recover energy in the interim, the previous scenario does not and impedes the otherwise excellent attention to detail.
    Well it makes sense that Sarif of, all places, will regain your pips.

I definitely support the idea that highlighting, objective markers and enemy location and view direction markers should be disabled by default. Highlighting encourages the player to barge into a room, run straight for the interactive items and skip over the impressive detail of the game. Same goes for the objective markers. Radar enemy markers should be disabled by default (and preferably incorporated as part of the Wayfinder Radar System augmentation) because we already have enough sensory cues without it; surround sound, the third-person cover system and the Smart Vision augmentation negate the need for it.

the problem is that without highlighting you're bound to miss a lot of things that are well hidden. there's so many items in the world that are unique that without highlighting you have to get fairly close for the name to pop up and this becomes a problem when these other unique items cause you to essentially scan the entire area head to toe super close and becomes a chore (wheres in the original there weren't SO many items that if you saw an item you could assume it would potentially be interactive, though there were some non interactive ones). i agree that highlighting would place an emphasis on just seeing those items but really the problem is without highlighting considering how close you have to get it can become seriously difficult to find small things (can you imagine trying to find a random energy bar or thing of revolver ammo amongst tons of other things?). the highlighting is a quite helpful tool and i plan on using it in my first playthrough despite being against it (to me even though the way they implemented it makes a lot of sense and is fairly clever, it kinda looks bothersome due to how overt it is and the highlighting of secret passages even when your'e not looking directly at it).

i wish there were a middle ground but from what i've seen not having highlighting on makes it really hard to see whats interactive and makes one miss a lot of things (videos i've seen in crowded hospital areas i'd be hard pressed to find a praxis pack or other things unless i memorize their apperance, but what about if new items come up later in the game) but with it it's fairly obnoxious and overt. I'll end up using highlighting because it's not the end of the world and the way the game is designed it makes sense and is a good addition due to all the items and detail, and then for non highlighting i'll just play the original dx. HR has it's own feel and since it already seems so amazing i guess i'll give it a try with highlighting once and then the second time through see how i do without it and searching every area floor to ceiling.

They should make it a hotkey so that you can turn it on and off easily. It's more like actually being Adam too, using it when you need/want to help you.

(click image to enlarge)

Originally Posted by JCpie
    They should make it a hotkey so that you can turn it on and off easily. It's more like actually being Adam too, using it when you need/want to help you.
    yes, this would be really cool.

The game's multi-path, multi-choice core seems to encourage multiple play-throughs so finding every secret and collecting every item on the first play is hardly expected. With the highlighting, I would definitely be interested in a middle-ground involving a large decrease in the distance at which highlighting activates. I'd have no problems with it if it activated at the same time as the name-cue as that signals that you're close enough to interact (a la DX1). HR highlighting seems to occur at any distance. The Radar is the largest issue, though, as it isn't toggleable. The rest of it is brilliant! Preordering the Augmented version

the problem is that without highlighting you're bound to miss a lot of things that are well hidden.
    Yeah, but if you're the kind of person who turns off highlighting surely you don't mind having to look pretty hard to find the secret items? I mean, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
    If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

In the

How come Eidos Montreal can get sequels right but other studios...

It's like other studios don't even listen to their fans when making sequels

Originally Posted by Enemy242
    the problem is that without highlighting you're bound to miss a lot of things that are well hidden.
    Dont see any problems with that. Unless u have have a problem with realistic gameplay. Well the other day i missed this awesome candy bar that my mother put on the kitchen table. It was brown and the counter was brown and Im kinda nearsighted in the morning. Well the short of it, my brat little brother got it. Damn, if only I had some sweet sight aug that would put sparkly lights on every important object in the world. But then that wouldnt be real world would it?

Originally Posted by Enemy242
    That's the way it should be! I love having to inspect the game world, I do it anyway.

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    That's the way it should be! I love having to inspect the game world, I do it anyway.
    Same here... every nook and cranny.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Very True. Or others listen too much like Killzone 3 being way to much of a CoD clone.

I agree and I do that as well (go to every single section of the map of open world games, try to find all secret areas etc) but it's a bit different when there are a ton of items in front of you and you essentially have to run right up to it and look at every single one of them pressing E not sure if any of them are interactive or if the notice will show up for one tiny little thing (ie one of those pocket secretaries). Deus ex if I recall right had the notice pop up a little bit further away than HR (due to the highlighting makes that not necessary) and again you really knew that you could interact with almost every item in that you could at least throw it if not pick it up. Personally I don't want to be hovering over every inch of every table clicking e repeatedly looking for a little box beacuse that'd take me more out of the experience than highlighting because DX1 had it down that way in that it wasn't an issue whereas in HR the highlighting is supposed to be there so it'd actually end up making things far more streamlined and realistic/flowing while still being able to inspect every area to look for items; the only thing i wish is that secret passages and things weren't more highlighted than others (i've seen that in videos where a wall thats breakable has a hugee highlight around it and that'd kinda bug me).

What are you guys talking about? HR is a prequel and if you really read the forums, you'll know that EM/SE blew a lot of the community off. No need to go over the past. Anyways, the game hasn't even been released yet. So again, what are you guys talking about?

Originally Posted by Human
    What are you guys talking about? HR is a prequel
    Doesnt matter, his point stands.

No need to go over the past. Anyways, the game hasn't even been released yet.
    But half of the forums already tested it.
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades

But half of the forums already tested it.
    What you meant to say is that half of the forums tested 1/3 of the game. You can draw you own conclusions from that, but not any definitive ones. What if the game blows during the last 2/3, or is buggy as heck? Jumping to conclusions is ridiculous.

wut

Naughty Dog: Crash Bandicoot 2;

Insomniac Games: Spyro 2 (and 3);

Interplay: Fallout 2;

Looking Glass/Irrational: System Shock 2;

Neversoft: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2;

...were you asking a serious question, or are you intentionally being obtuse and really asking something else? Do you think it's always a good thing for studios to pay service to their fan-base, (even though the community's demands might be outdated and unrealistic, and based on incomplete, faulty information)? During the majority of the development of this game, EM - probably through no fault of their own, but because of crappy marketing - have caused uproar over their design decisions. It was a god-damned miracle that they made highlighting optional but that is it as far as taking cues from their fan-base goes. At least that I know about, that has been openly communicated to us.

EM has made a great sequel - almost certainly - but it wouldn't be on account of listening to most of the demands that have been made by this community, many of which were borne out of having incomplete information and through poor communication and presentation of this information. Most, if not virtually all of the design decisions which caused people to grumble are still there in the final product. When people found out about 3rd person takedowns as well as a 3rd person cover system, almost nobody here endorsed the idea or was optimistic about it. No-one had anything good to say about cut-scenes. Fewer people liked the idea of regenerating health. The list could go on.

I would completely re-examine your OP.
    Qu'est-ce que

Yep, a good game doesn't have to conform to the fanbase at all. In fact, if EM listened to every single one of the many fan outcries, it would probably result in a very bad game lol.

Isn't that kind of ironic? That's what I'm just realizing...
    Qu'est-ce que

Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    Naughty Dog: Crash Bandicoot 2;
    Insomniac Games: Spyro 2 (and 3);
    Interplay: Fallout 2;
    Looking Glass/Irrational: System Shock 2;
    Neversoft: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2;
    I think everyone knows about these great sequels, really the question is why don't more developers create good sequels "NOWADAYS."

Originally Posted by KingNL
    It's like other studios don't even listen to their fans when making sequels
    emm what you are talking about? It's a little bit too soon to draw such conclusions. Yes, i have played that preview version and i liked it but i wouldn't say already that it is sequel (this time prequel) done right. Yes, there is a lot of things they got right but also there is a lot of things they pretty much failed to achieve and that part for me is not done right. For example one of such things is pretty much really unnecessary swith from first person to third person while using ladders and also i find somehow really useless a lot of augmentations in augmentation tree (there seems even more useless augs that it was in original). Of course overall it seems really good game (still not great because there is only one great game and it's original )

Yep, a good game doesn't have to conform to the fanbase at all. In fact, if EM listened to every single one of the many fan outcries, it would probably result in a very bad game lol.
    lol
    There would be no game if "every single one of the many fan outcries" were implemented, as many are complete or near-total opposites and cover a grand spectrum of the coarse, and the disconcerting minutiae. However, commonalities in pooled hopes and wishes and fears and frustrations, across a respectably-sized percentage, as well as reasoned and demonstrable concerns voiced within the cacophony of ineloquence and spittle, should be given audience, and informed decisions for and against made later.

Undoubtedly DXHR is a brilliant game, but just because it turned out great does not mean that they listened to the community. EM basically did what they wanted to do with the game disregarding any community suggestions, they did not even let us know half of the changes they implemented until very late in development when it was too late to change these things. If you liked what they were doing then good, but if not they responded with

Page 90 of 101 First First ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... Last