Thread: "THE HIVE" - Buzzing with Random Activity! General Chat Thread

"THE HIVE" - Buzzing with Random Activity! General Chat Thread

I'm going to avoid that leak like it's the plague, in order not to spoil it for game launch, but it's nice to see a positive reaction. Hopefully it convinces EM that a proper demo would further improve their sales/pre-orders.

"Every time when someone mentions Deus Ex on the Internet, somewhere, someone installs it again"

Also, I try to tell myself to avoid it. It's just so damn well made. I want to know

There is one thing about the leak that seems really strange to me: I've read a couple of "reviews" by people who played the leaked build, and some of them commented on the great music...Now, I agree what I heard so far is absolutely great, but Daeda and other reviewers remarked that there was a bug in their version, preventing the music to play! So, is this only concerning part of the in-game music, as opposed to cutscenes, or is the leak a later build, which may hint to purposeful "leaking"
    (Actually that idea was one of the first things that crossed my mind when I was reading all the extraordinarily positive reviews)

One way or another, I think it's very good news that we're experiencing since 24 hours!

A little introduction first, I am an HUGE fan of DX1, one of the most addicted I guess, spent years playing the first one, litteraly, the game is still installed on my PC after more than 10 years. I played thousands of games in the last years but I never felt the same feeling and experience that DX1 gave me. It was more than a videogame, it was poetry, it was art, it was Deus Ex.

This morning I spent more than one hour just thinking about the beta. I was keep asking myself "shall I download it or not?". At last I had to give up, I installed the beta, I am not so proud of it but if you consider how much I am happy right now in the end I guess I did the right thing.

Human Revolution is amazing, this is THE game of the year, I spent less then few hours playing the game and you can trust me. I didn't notice any difference between this game and the first one. Music, gameplay, characters, even situation, all remembered me of the first DX. I am so happy about that game, you can't understand how much I am happy right now. You guys at Eidos made my day. Totally buying the game, well I already preordered it quite a long ago but if I had any doubt, well now I have not

I LOVE YOU GUYS @ EIDOS

Just a little spoiler for REAL DX fans (don't read it if you don't want to ruin your experience):

Has anybody got to the mission where you have to
    yet? The place is surrounded by alarms and there's a bonus objective where you have to complete it without being seen. Problem is I can't disarm the alarms and every time I shoot them it alerts the guards that are past them. Any way to get by the alarms without shooting them?

I want it now. NOW.

The only thing is, I don't agree with downloading content that the developers don't want you to, I kind of see it like downloading games illegally... maybe my morals are illogical.

(click image to enlarge)

I've been playing for 3 hours (won't go further) and I'm pleasantly surprised by the game. It just feels like a Deus Ex game.

Now, a few points I'd like to be addressed:

. I'm playing on a 5:4 monitor and since the game is designed to be played on a 16:9 display, the FOV is ridiculously narrow (probably around 70°) and it makes moving around very claustrophobic. I hope the final game will contain a .cfg file with the related command line so we can change it at will (it isn't present in this version).

. Moving around doesn't feel "right". This is because while strafing the character moves much faster than when moving forward. It isn't a problem with a gamepad but it's annoying with the M&K controls. Want infinite running cheat? Just walk in diagonal with the WASD keys and you're there.

. Since the Y mouse axis is set at a lower sensitivity than the X mouse axis, the mouselook doesn't feel "right". I also find it annoying every time I want to observe my surrounding by looking up (or down).

I hope those issues will be fixed because all of them come down to easily changed variables of what looks like a great game!

Originally Posted by IOS
    ... but I will say that this is another game that is "a sum of its parts." As a whole I'm convinced that this is worth a purchase and it definitely exceeded my expectations as a whole. It may not be as good as the original from what I played (did anybody expect this?) but it stands out regardless.
    I haven't played the leak, but I think on the direction of art and voice acting they've already exceeded the original.
    I think it'll be hard to capture the seem feeling and emotions we got from the original, but I'm already convinced in sheer quality of the individual aspects it will surpass the original.

Originally Posted by numinous
    Well... I suppose I was exaggerating about the story. I just feel everything seems so obvious right from the get go. I'm sure I'll be correct on every assumption I've made regarding who will stab Jensen in the back, who will be ambitious and who will "die for a greater cause".
    It probably helps if you played the original and are a bit genre savvy. Or they've thrown the obvious hints to blind-sight you.
    Then again in hindsight, the original didn't really throw many curve-balls in that regard.

As for the combat, no, they aren't exaggerations. It's ridiculously easy.
    I hope it gets harder later on but I have already justified why I believe it won't. We'll see on that one!
    Perhaps you're just good or have a good grasp on what to do. I've heard quite a few reviewers say the difficulty is not the cakewalk you make it out to be.

Originally Posted by Knifegash
    So what if I can't stand the trickle of information on this game being slower than an IV drip?
    To be honest the trickle of information has been reasonably so far and it's better for that sort of stuff to go full swing not too long before the game actually comes out.

EDIT: @ Patakreps; I think a few reviews mentioned the control issues and I think one of them mentioned it would get fixed (or did he think it would be fixed. hmm...)

>Moving through a crawlspace
    >Guard is looking in my general direction of the vent
    >Pass through an open area, light is coming through and shows off my shadow in the room he's in
    >He notices the shadow and flips out. Even though he doesn't see me.
    there is this post that attracted my attention

so apparently guards can spot your shadow? is this true?
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1554/deusexhumanrevolutionna.jpg
    the best dx hr screenshot there is no one has seen it!

Originally Posted by Zakka
    uhm even at 60 fps (game runs great) the takedowns have horrible framerate. Which I'm sure isn't bad animating, because I've seen better in gameplaytrailers. I checked to see if my fps drops during takedowns and it doesn't, so I hope this will be fixed ( I might add that some people won't notice this but I have a very critical eye for framerate)

Another thing: When you are almost out of ammo you get an annoying 'out of ammo' red flashing tekst in the middle of your screen. Small, but annoying

When you are close to interactive stuff a very small 'E to pickup/e to use' transparant window pops up. A lot better than the big window in the console version

Just some details I liked to share
    The out of ammo thing doesn't bother me much. I like the small unobtrusive window that comes up with an interactive object compared to that stupid window crap that comes up on the consoles.

Originally Posted by Coyotegrey
    If you can, send me or post here links to other boards and what people are saying. As you can imagine, I have a lot on my hands right now (this and E3...), but I want to know what others are thinking.
    The cover system needs work. It's interesting in theory but is too tedious in practice.

I would also like to say that firing a sniper rifle from cover is kind of a pain right now.

Also I'd like to say that guns with no kickback are simply not exciting. The reloading animation and such owns.

Where are the melee attacks? Why can't I clobber a dude with my fists or with the butt of my gun?

Hopefully augs don't make this too overpowered, you're already given some in the beginning.

Hopefully the retail game's graphics are fixed with lighting and shadows and such because holy crap is this beta ugly as sin. BROWN AND GOLD AND SHADES OF GREY AND AMBER and theres barely any lighting and shadows. Maybe it would look better with some SSAO? I don't know but it's all the same color palate and it just looks bad.

Flower pattern on the PC's jacket? Uhh....

Originally Posted by mahmoudd
    there is this post that attracted my attention

so apparently guards can spot your shadow? is this true?
    How does this work if you turn off the shadows (or can they be turned off)?

Anyway, that's the thing that I missed in stealth games!
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

I haven't downloaded the beta, don't want to spoil the fun or have to wait until August to finish an awesome game.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you rock Eidos Montreal (and Eidos). I love me some Deus Ex 1 and enjoyed 2 enough to finish it. Human Revolutions is my most wanted game without a doubt. I've clung to every preview article and video for the slightest details to tide me over until August.

Just a bit of background, I haven't preordered a game since GTA IV (2008). I also never bother with special editions and haven't bought a bonus/special/limited game since Oblivion came out (2006). That being said, I preorded the Augmented PS3 version today after reading glowing beta impressions. Moreover, the way your company has handled the leak has impressed me enough to want to support you beyond normal. Keep up the good work.

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5...hrpreorder.jpg

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Impresses-Fans

Surprisingly, developer Eidos Montreal has allowed users to comment about the leak on the game's forum. Community Manager Kyle Stallock even encouraged users to share links to non-press reviews and comments on the leak. Torrents of the leak remain available on popular torrent sites, yet to be taken down by publisher Square Enix - not that it's certain Square could stop the leak, at this point, if it wanted.

After months of delays and speculation from series fans on whether this would be a worthy successor to one of the PC's most beloved games, this leak might have helped the game more than hurt it. There are posts on Eidos' forum and NeoGAF.com, claiming the quality of the game surprised them and they are now making a pre-order.

"Augmented edition pre-ordered. I'm quite *** hyped for this game," one poster wrote on NeoGAF, after reading others' impressions of the leaked build.

Of course, this doesn't change the simple fact that leaking this build was an illegal act - about as illegal as downloading it. So, don't download it! Watch YouTube clips of the leak or something. Oh, crap. Is that illegal too? I need to go check with our lawyers...for 10 hours.
    signature image

Not gonna play the leak, will wait 'till the full game comes out. But skimming through these reactions is great. Just further supports my thoughts on the game so far, gonna be awesome.

The first fifteen minutes is on a certain well known video site. I watched it because the same video is on a games site, which is the first site that comes up when u google the leak. It appeared to be a press article.

It's the first 15 minutes of DXHR.

- Very amazing. Intro scene was hugely brilliant and slotted in perfectly as a prequel opening.

- Very amazing story, something Megan says in the first room rocked me off my chair and made me want to unravel the mystery.

- I can't see what all the fuss is about the graphics. There's plenty of atmosphere, even in a sterile lab

- Seriously reminded me of Half-Life in a good way.

- I was struck by how a lot of things are different gameplay-wise but it's a just a case of getting used to like anything else.

- A few things are impossible to determine from just seeing the first fifteen minutes.

- I absolutely
    signature image

Honestly I think the involuntary leak is one of the best things that could happen for the game in terms of marketing. Eidos can always shrug their shoulders and say "We didn't release a beta build" and word of mouth still gets to spread far and wide...and it is.

I will admit I buckled and played through the first real mission. Game pre-ordered!
    Schon trübet der Mond sich verschwindenden Scheins, die Glocke, sie donnert ein mächtiges Eins, und unten zerschellt das Gerippe. -Göthe, Totentanz

Surprisingly, developer Eidos Montreal has allowed users to comment about the leak on the game's forum.
    Because pretending it didn't happen will stop the internet.

Originally Posted by Risingred
    Honestly I think the involuntary leak is one of the best things that could happen for the game in terms of marketing.
    It is the best thing that happened marketing wise. Now they don't even need to make a demo.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

I'm playing through the first real mission and it's okay. It didn't change anything I hadn't already decided.

So has anyone looked into the file structure of the install? Is it completely locked down, or will there be any way to mod the game? No matter how good everything else is, I really can't play it as long as it has health regeneration, the feature is just too bad for words. I might just end up downloading it to see if I can get rid of it, or change the regen time to a few hours, so I never have to deal with it.

I can't stress enough that Eidos-Montreal, for making a true Deus Ex, are now better than kings... Gods! They have so much to be proud of.
    ...a million bureaucrats are diligently plotting death and some of them even know it.
    -Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow.

Sorry if this was already answered or if I missed it but if someone could direct me to an answer to the question posted earlier, people are supposedly commenting on the music but I thought there was a bug in the preview build that prevented the music from being played (heard that on the q+a topic)? Was the bug just in that specific copy or is this a different build than that? I haven't been following this all that much but could they use the leaked copy to track the original leaker? Things like the presence of music people are stating and the fact that (as far as I've seen, but I might just be missing it) the leaker hasn't been caught confuse me a bit. Still don't think this is a good thing and think it's messed up but at least it's getting them more pre-orders and hopefully convincing those who doubted the game.

Originally Posted by Enemy242
    Sorry if this was already answered or if I missed it but if someone could direct me to an answer to the question posted earlier, people are supposedly commenting on the music but I thought there was a bug in the preview build that prevented the music from being played (heard that on the q+a topic)? Was the bug just in that specific copy or is this a different build than that? I haven't been following this all that much but could they use the leaked copy to track the original leaker? Things like the presence of music people are stating and the fact that (as far as I've seen, but I might just be missing it) the leaker hasn't been caught confuse me a bit. Still don't think this is a good thing and think it's messed up but at least it's getting them more pre-orders and hopefully convincing those who doubted the game.
    The Music on the PC did work, though there where still some bugs. On 360 it didnt though.

I'm glad EM are allowing free discussion of it. I couldn't play it if I wanted to but I'm just not interested in that or viewing a low quality video of it, I'll enjoy it the finished product in August.

Good news about the positive reception! I'm trying to put myself in their shoes..... increased sales or not- a fair portion of 4 years of work leaked before it is ready, and I think I'd be absolutely gutted to put it mildly. I wonder if they will be able to find out who let it go public. If it were my 10+ hour demo I was handing over selectively, I'd make sure that each copy was traceable to the individual(s) given the privilege. It can't be that hard to hide an identifiable tag somewhere.

Turning off v sync made the takedown animations a lot smoother

Ok some impressions about the social aspect. This is the only gameplay element we've seen very little off, and I must say, I am pleasantly surprised.

-Not okay, not good, but simply incredible voice acting. And not only key characters, every single npc I encounter is believable and has something interesting to say. I always said this, and will say again: Good voice acting is more important than realistic faces.
    - Writing is really good too so far. Every side quest has a story behind it.
    - The 'social battles' are really good, and after playing them I understand why they are called social battles. They are exciting and suspenseful.
    -Facial animation and face models in general may look awkward sometimes, but the writing and voice acting makes up for it.

Some other stuff:
    -Your choices have consequences. Not only key characters will react in different ways to your actions, it also changes what some 'ordinary' npc's have to say.
    -Weapon upgrades are visible. My 10mm gun looks cooler with each attachmentI add and there is more than just a silencer or a laser pointer.
    -Adam is simply bad-ass, he has an attitude and I like it.

Page 31 of 101 First First ... 212728293031323334354181 ... Last