Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSN and Eidosmontreal.com hacked

Exclamation Eidos Forum hacked!?

Hey guys!

Today I've been browsing through my favourite Polish site with news from the world of gaming and came across shocking information.

http://www.cdaction.pl/news-19245/so...dossquare.html

According to the article Eidos Forums have been hacked and data from 80,000 user accounts has been stolen!
    I'd like someone from the moderators to confirm this information because the author of the article advises to change the password to the account.

Thanks in advance.

News in English.

Great, just great. I'm not waiting for any confirmations, I'm changing my password now.

The best thing you can do right now is change your password.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

As far as I understand it, it is not the forum that has been compromised but the Deus Ex/Eidos.com website.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Surely Eidos wouldn't actually store our passwords?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=117561

I was under the impression that proper forum software would only store the fact that our passwords evaluate to something like "ae987dfcb43987c54666b88da78d8e7843afed3433433bc63544444cc63390897832cadfeb37485c" but not the actual characters.

Changing your password frequently is always a good idea, honestly. As for the story, there's no comment on that at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Surely Eidos wouldn't actually store our passwords?
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=117561

I was under the impression that proper forum software would only store the fact that our passwords evaluate to something like "ae987dfcb43987c54666b88da78d8e7843afed3433433bc63544444cc63390897832cadfeb37485c" but not the actual characters.
    Of course passwords are stored. How else would you be able to check if the password used at the log in is correct.

However, you are correct in assuming that the passwords are NOT stored in the clear. They are encrypted.

But then again, like I said earlier, no one is talking about the forum.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Indeed, our forum software, vBulletin, uses a hashing technique to check your password upon login. It does not directly store your password so that hackers would instantly have access to it if they managed to gain access to the forum database, which still has not been proven this is even the case. Though changing your password often is a good practice, as has been mentioned before.

From the start, the public was confused and thought that PSN did store plain text passwords, which turned out to be not the case.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Here's the official statement from Square Enix.

Square Enix can confirm a group of hackers gained access to parts of our Eidosmontreal.com website as well as two of our product sites. We immediately took the sites offline to assess how this had happened and what had been accessed, then took further measures to increase the security of these and all of our websites, before allowing the sites to go live again.

Eidosmontreal.com does not hold any credit card information or code data, however there are resumes which are submitted to the website by people interested in jobs at the studio. Regrettably up to 350 of these resumes may have been accessed, and we are in the process of writing to each of the individuals who may have been affected to offer our sincere apologies for this situation. In addition, we have also discovered that up to 25,000 email addresses were obtained as a result of this breach. These email addresses are not linked to any additional personal information. They were site registration email addresses provided to us for users to receive product information updates.

No dissemination or misappropriation of any other personal information has been identified at this point.

We take the security of our websites extremely seriously and employ strict measures, which we test regularly, to guard against this sort of incident.

well email aint going to bother me its generally 'out there' to monitor scam sites that constantly send email scams to it.

< removed >

am also guessing that sony didn't use a firewall that protects against dos attacks, basically the firewall shuts off all access from the outside to the inside during a dos attack, closes all ports, and in some cases shuts the system down if it can take a shutdown.
    Tuna, the chicken of the sea.

Belboz, please do not discuss hacking techniques here.

Thank you

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

So I take it we know who (to an extent) attack the PSN servers? I mean, he's coming loud and bold with his "skillz".
    Yes siree, the excitement never ends.

And all the cyber theft and the hassles it causes is another reason I HATE those "pass card" credit cards ( I don't use a credit card anyway) Your credit card info can be stolen by some one just walking past you in a crowd with those new "wave 'em in the air" cards.

In fact you can now buy wallets with electronic shields in them to prevent that. Advertised in "twofer" pitches on the tellie.

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
    As far as I understand it, it is not the forum that has been compromised but the Deus Ex/Eidos.com website.
    No need to change passwords here then?

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    And all the cyber theft and the hassles it causes is another reason I HATE those "pass card" credit cards ( I don't use a credit card anyway) Your credit card info can be stolen by some one just walking past you in a crowd with those new "wave 'em in the air" cards.

In fact you can now by wallets with electronic shields in them to prevent that. Advertised in "twofer" pitches on the tellie.
    That sounds like it has an RFID chip inside. We in Europe already use those in our passports for several years.

I'm having one myself and when I picked it up back in 2007, I immediately made a little aluminum covered pouch for it, which nicely fits into my wallet and makes unauthorized wireless reading of my passport impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by IOOI View Post
    No need to change passwords here then?
    The hackers didn't get to the server where the Eidos forum is hosted on, so there is no need for alarm at this point.

But you should decide yourself, if it makes you feel more safe, then change it.

I did, just to be sure.

Thanks for the info.
    I changed it anyway just to be safe.

Resumes were stolen?

It's not just anon, it's a conspiracy! FEMA is drawing up lists. If you applied expect a visit from albino MIB's soon.

LOL before I even clicked the topic, I ran and changed my pw to something long and ridiculous.

< removed annoying facepalm image >

I've had it with these hackers...
    signature image

Got 98 failed login attempts on my spam email account, which is linked to the forums, today. I really recommend to change your old passwords asap.

You used that email address only for this forum?

And just out of curiosity, how do you know about those login attempts?

PSN restoration has begun.

New York,the states above it, and California are up. More to come.
    signature image

Changed password, just in case... I hope that I will remember this new one, because is formed randomly of letters and numbers.

PS=the YouTube icon above is very cool!
    Free Fall: S = ½a * t²

Hmmmm, this thread starts off sounding an awful lot like Sony bashing and speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    it is no wonder that their server ended up being hacked, because if you oversee such a basic security flaw, who knows what other [other holes they left in their system]
    Really, "stupid", thats funny, how come if members make fun of Justin Bieber or anyone else for that matter we get warned or temp banned, but I guess if you're a Mod here you can call a corporation "stupid", that seems fair I guess. Would have expected that kind of post from a member not from a Mod who should know better. Guess maybe they should have come to you for network security advise sense your such a competent web master and all. I think I figured out why the number of members here has finally dwindled down to nothing, its because of the blatant hypocrisy.
    SWAN DIVE! Into the best night of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rios View Post
    Hmmmm, this thread starts off sounding an awful lot like Sony bashing and speculation.

Really, "stupid", thats funny, how come if members make fun of Justin Bieber or anyone else for that matter we get warned or temp banned, but I guess if you're a Mod here you can call a corporation "stupid", that seems fair I guess. Would have expected that kind of post from a member not from a Mod who should know better. Guess maybe they should have come to you for network security advise sense your such a competent web master and all. I think I figured out why the number of members here has finally dwindled down to nothing, its because of the blatant hypocrisy.
    Wow, I never saw it until now, and that is completely true. Blinded by the rant to actually see, that it is what it is, a rant.

To be honest, I kind of joined in on the rant, too, but that's coming from a member, not a moderator that's supposed to make sure that kind of stuff doesn't happen or go unpunished.

Good observation, Rios.
    signature image

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast