Thread: Favourite Videogame Movie

Favourite Videogame Movie

Favourite Videogame Movie

It's exactly what the title says, what is your favourite movie based on a videogame? Even if you don't like any of them, just talk about which one you thought was the least terrible.

Personally, Mortal Kombat is the best videogame movie. Mortal Kombat the game is about ridiculous characters fighting in a silly tournament to save the universe for some reason. That's exactly what the movie is about, so they didn't change a thing. On top of that, it's rather entertaining in a sort of dumb, cheesy kind of way, so it has both entertainment and respect for the source material, which you can't say for a lot of videogame movies.

I guess second place goes to Silent Hill. It wasn't terribly good, but on occasion it did capture the atmosphere of the games.

So, share your picks.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Does a mini series count? If so, the six episodes of "Bright Falls" that were released prior to Alan Wake's launch. I thought those were excellent!

Silent Hill earns a second place for the exact same reason you mentioned.

Then Mortal Kombat because it actually feels like it's part of the MK universe. And because it's entertaining enough to watch, of course. And the Mortal Kombat Rebirth short film is ok. I just find it hard to take its serious tone seriously.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Thumbs Up

Despite not sharing any substantial similarities with the game it is based on, i thought Hitman was pretty decent for a mindless-action-movie ...

It was Very Loosely based on the franchise, can't deny that, but as motion picture, well ... it was far from ...
    The story was decent enough to not have plot holes ...
    The action sequences were 'clear' at least, unlike the Bourne films where the editing puts you into a blender, waits into you vomit or start looking gaga, before actually progressing, and ends up winning an oscar ...

Meanwhile Kubrick's corpse is chewing his own beard !...

Anywya, Hitman, Geoff Zanelli's original score may not be Jesper Kyd but, to me, it was quite memorable...
    More than what Hans Zimmer can ever dish out anywya...

Still haven't watched Prince of Persia though...
    But its got Alfred Molina in it, so it should easily be a contender for best movie of all time ...

PS: Super Mario wasn't all that bad either, i'm still waiting for a sequel with Wario ! ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

I've seen the first three Resident Evil films, and they're all mindless dumb sci-fi horror movies in their own right.

The least terrible one of those three was the third one, Extinction.

And like Grievous said, Hitman wasn't so bad, I rather like Timothy Olyphant. So I guess, Hitman is the best videogame-based movie I've seen.
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Thumbs Up

CAN'T WAIT FOR BRUCE & JAMIE ! ...

Holy ! ...

'James' Lynch ... 'Jamie' Foxx ...

THEY'VE DONE THEIR RESEARCH ! ...

Originally Posted by IMPYEMU
    The least terrible one of those three was the third one, Apocalypse.
    Apocalypse is the second one.

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Apocalypse is the second one.
    Oh, MB

I meant Extinction
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Extinction was so retarded that it was completely banned from my mind, as it had a grand total of zero memorable moments!
    Now don't get me wrong, the rest of the RE movies are equally retarded but had at least one memorable moment. The licker and the laser hallway from the first film and Alice vs Nemesis, bare-knuckled, in Apocalypse. That last one being insanely retarded, yet memorable.

I haven't seen Afterlife, though.

Probably Prince of Persia, it's the grand adventure the game always wanted to be; and before somebody tells me how it changed from the game, Mechner wrote the story, the same guy who made PoP in the first place.

Also worth mentioning is Animal Crossing for being the most true to the source material, and amusing in its cartoon childish way.

Besides some shotgun shells with something different that buckshot in them, It's none too memorable. It's funny because I thought Extinction was the best. Although I haven't seen the first one
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Rolleyes

Speaking of shotguns , i thought Max Payne wasn't all that bad either ... just a bit sloppy ...

T'was exciting to see Chris O'Donnell ...
    Man , that guy should have had a richer career ...

Extinction was so retarded that it was completely banned from my mind, as it had a grand total of zero memorable moments!
    Now don't get me wrong, the rest of the RE movies are equally retarded but had at least one memorable moment. The licker and the laser hallway from the first film and Alice vs Nemesis, bare-knuckled, in Apocalypse. That last one being insanely retarded, yet memorable.
    I guess I have a predilection towards Apocalypse movies, even though the second one is called Apocalypse and not the third one

Me niether, probably never will
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Thumbs Up

I thought i forgot about something , then again i have some good reasons ...

Well first off i never actually played the game so i can't say if it was a good 'video game movie' or not , but then secondly , even though i never played the game , i know what the franchise 'looks like' ... and the movie doesn't seem to show any resemblance asside from the title , and the fact that the creator of the franchise directed the movie ...

But i thought it was a pretty decent movie , if not even quite underrated ...
    It was pleasant to look at , and equally was the original score , the story may be simple but at least it wasn't all that pretentious (debatable) , a lot of people made a huge fuss on how awkward the character looked like , but now that the film is ten year olds , can you really say that today's CGI technology is all that much better ? ...

Yeah , i'm also forgetting to spew out the title of the movie:

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ...

Oh . You know what the best videogame movie was?
    Resident Evil: Degeneration! It practically was a videogame itself.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

You're right! Throw in a couple of QTE's and BAM! We've got RE4.5!

I like to play games online in my free time.Road Race, video games is my favorite game This is very enjoyable game. I really like this game. I also play this game in my free time. car racing is very interested video game.

'The Evil Dead', or is that reversed? Lol.
    XZX WAS HERE