View Poll Results: Would you play a demo of TR9 if CD releases one before March 5th?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    43 69.35%
  • NO

    10 16.13%
  • Depends on how long before March 5th the demo will be released

    9 14.52%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 351

Thread: Official TR9 Demo Discussion Thread | update Jan 22: Meagan explains (see OP)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    ^ Don't blame Tricky, he's used to the DX forum mentality

    Quote Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
    Duh! I had tea with Holleeder last week.


    Where, in that park close to your house?


    (click image to enlarge)

    Did you and him try to look for that geocache there?


    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  2. #77
    No fightin' here.
    Just trying to put a stop to things before they do get outta hand.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  3. #78
    Driber, I can't argue with that!

    Lord Martok, I only wish to have a spirited and lively debate here. I am going to hold you accountable for what you say, even if you don't care.
    Qu'est-ce que

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    Driber, I can't argue with that!

    Lord Martok, I only wish to have a spirited and lively debate here. I am going to hold you accountable for what you say, even if you don't care.


    I've explained myself clearly. I love demos. Just because there are asshat pirates and hackers out there who like to leak things before they're due to be released does not in any way, shape, or form mean that I think the demo should not be released. I only said that I am going to avoid the Mass Effect 3 demo, simply because I'd rather play the entire epic game than just get a small taste of it in a demo, and have to salivate for another month waiting for the full game. Otherwise, when it comes to other demos, I'm not concerned about "spoilers" because the demo represents a miniscule portion of the game.

    I don't know where you thought I was making the argument that a demo should NOT be released. Certainly in nothing I've said.

    I think you were drawing the wrong conclusions about what I said, because I stated my strong hatred for hackers and pirates. If I thought for an instant that a demo should NOT be released because of the activities hackers and pirates carry out, then that would be tantamount to giving into terrorism. Hackers and pirates (like terrorists) seek to change a way of life to suit their own ends. Once we give into that, it's game over...no pun intended.


    So, bring on demos. I love 'em, just like many others do.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    Just a thought... What if the TR9 demo wasn't from the game... I mean like a training course of something, built into Endurance, something to teach us the new controls but keep the story to a minimum... I'd like that...
    signature image

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Just a thought... What if the TR9 demo wasn't from the game... I mean like a training course of something, built into Endurance, something to teach us the new controls but keep the story to a minimum... I'd like that...
    that would be an interesting compromise between those who do not mind spoilers and those who do. Something similar was done with BulletStorm I believe. It took place during a game's level, but it was really more just familiarization with the controls and system, and did not have a thing to do with the story.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  7. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    ^ Don't blame Tricky, he's used to the DX forum mentality

    Did you and him try to look for that geocache there?

    hey u, i was there watching them, make sure that roomby would be fine lol..

    about the demos now, question..

    How come a demo (ex. tru demo) including cutscenes or areas that we won't play in the demo?

    does it mean companies just rushing a demo quickly? because if u ask me, these 3 cutscenes included in tru demo were just a waste of space in the demo.
    IF we are not suppose to watch them what's the point having them in the demo?
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...
    Lord Martok, thank you for your reply. This is what you posted. It is what I am responding to. You are making a pretty strong insinuation that having a demo out before release only encourages online piracy. Since we have established that the first part of what you said isn't true, and that you say that the other part about breaching copyright law is and always has been another issue altogether, I will rest my case.
    Qu'est-ce que

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    Lord Martok, thank you for your reply. This is what you posted. It is what I am responding to. You are making a pretty strong insinuation that having a demo out before release only encourages online piracy. Since we have established that the first part of what you said isn't true, and that you say that the other part about breaching copyright law is and always has been another issue altogether, I will rest my case.
    There is no case to rest, because you are making assumptions about things I never said.

    YOU said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    The topic is relevant. It can be, as you say, the unfortunate outcome of having a demo made and released to the public. I sense that your feelings are strong enough in this case that you would rather a demo never be made so that "pirates" would not have the means to breach the sacred, infallible copyright laws - at least, ahead of schedule.

    Or is there another reason you would not like to see a demo? As is, you are taking it another level, which I find to be ridiculous. As I'm following, it actually would bother you if a demo existed. I cannot agree with this. This thinking, of treating the product as something that needs to be protected and restricted leads to draconian DRM measures which end up screwing all of the consumer base.
    In effect you have done the following: Used words that I never said, and are trying to play it off as if I'd said them all along. Note the underlined, bolded, and italicized words. Those are words YOU used, not me. You suggest that I say that demos should NEVER be released. I have repeatedly stated my love for demos, despite jackass piracy and hacking.

    This is what I've said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok
    I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...and that's what results in all this copy-protection stuff.
    You have completely (and quite conveniently) overlooked the things I said above that I've now bolded, italicized, and underlined for the purposes of this post. Everything I've indicated above would suggest to the casual observer that I am well aware that demos may contain more than just what we are enabled to play legitimately, but are not the "completed" titles. I had mentioned that I'd heard that many demos were really the completed game with only a small portion unlocked for demo play. I did NOT say that it was indeed so.

    I never said a thing in any of my posts about sacred, infallible copyright laws, or draconian DRM measures (except that the activities of pirates and hackers result in such things). I only said that those who make the games are due their just rewards and profits, especially if the game sells well, and that pirate activities are what lead to the measures that we ALL seem to hate. When it comes to the completed game, pirates and hackers will try to cut into those rewards and profits (especially if they are trying to leak a completed title well before it hits the streets legitimately).

    I will say this: Yes, copyright laws help to a degree, but they are far from "infallible and sacred" (as you like to put them). And I am definitely not crazy about DRM...especially when it does (as you correctly pointed out) screw the consumer base.

    You are trying to make it sound like I am not on your side when it comes to DRM and such. You couldn't be more wrong.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis.. View Post
    about the demos now, question..

    How come a demo (ex. tru demo) including cutscenes or areas that we won't play in the demo?

    does it mean companies just rushing a demo quickly? because if u ask me, these 3 cutscenes included in tru demo were just a waste of space in the demo.
    IF we are not suppose to watch them what's the point having them in the demo?
    It is because of the ways demos are produced.

    Demos are often the whole game but with special bits of code in place to prevent the player from going outside of the demo area.

    There is no different team working on the whole game and another team working just on a demo; when they release a demo, they just take the game they've build up to that point and remove some bits. But often a lot of other bits are still left in the code and just made inaccessible.

    If the devs were to completely remove anything that isn't related to the demo area, this would probably mean a lot more man hours. And IMO, those man hours should be put into creating the game.

    So I guess in short, it's just easier to leave those unused bits in.

    There's an unfinished level on the TR4 disc which the player never got to play. Core just left it there, probably because it would simply be too much of a hassle to take it out. And there were also a bunch of Lara animations in the TR4 code which were never used in the finished game. So this practice is nothing new.

    So it's not really a matter of "rushing a demo", as you put it, but more about using the developer's time efficiently.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    So I guess in short, it's just easier to leave those unused bits in.

    There's an unfinished level on the TR4 disc which the player never got to play. Core just left it there, probably because it would simply be too much of a hassle to take it out. And there were also a bunch of Lara animations in the TR4 code which were never used in the finished game. So this practice is nothing new.
    Thats interesting, is that 'Times' level you talking about?
    signature image

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    No, The Times was an officially released bonus level for TR4.

    The unfinished level I'm referring to was called Valley something something. The level itself was very empty - just a bunch of rocks and some paths somewhere in Egypt, and no background music.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    It is because of the ways demos are produced.

    Demos are often the whole game but with special bits of code in place to prevent the player from going outside of the demo area.

    There is no different team working on the whole game and another team working just on a demo; when they release a demo, they just take the game they've build up to that point and remove some bits. But often a lot of other bits are still left in the code and just made inaccessible.

    If the devs were to completely remove anything that isn't related to the demo area, this would probably mean a lot more man hours. And IMO, those man hours should be put into creating the game.

    So I guess in short, it's just easier to leave those unused bits in.

    There's an unfinished level on the TR4 disc which the player never got to play. Core just left it there, probably because it would simply be too much of a hassle to take it out. And there were also a bunch of Lara animations in the TR4 code which were never used in the finished game. So this practice is nothing new.

    So it's not really a matter of "rushing a demo", as you put it, but more about using the developer's time efficiently.

    See, this info falls in line with what I was trying to talk about earlier.
    Thanks, Driber.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    ^ Don't blame Tricky, he's used to the DX forum mentality



    Where, in that park close to your house?

    <<Pic>>

    Did you and him try to look for that geocache there?

    Nope, we had tea at my place and a picnic in the park

    But seriously, I haven't had time to go there yet. Th stupid cache is on the other side of the highway, and I'm not driving/walking there for it >_<

    I guesI'll have to wait untill 2013, when the highway will be removed...

  15. #90
    @ Lord Martok: I understand how you feel about the demo for mass effect 3, I myself felt the same way but then I succumbed to temptation and downloaded it. It just made the wait that much harder because I really want the game, but still I enjoyed it and I thought that it didn't spoil anything. As for TR9, I wouldn't mind a demo at all, be it an actual level or just training how to use the controls.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
    Nope, we had tea at my place and a picnic in the park

    But seriously, I haven't had time to go there yet. Th stupid cache is on the other side of the highway, and I'm not driving/walking there for it >_<

    I guesI'll have to wait untill 2013, when the highway will be removed...
    Hey now, where is your archeological spirit!

    Do you think Lara would've been stopped by a highway?


    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here & There
    Posts
    989

    The Demo- A quick poll for y'all

    Okay I know there have been prior posts about the demo, but this one is more to get the idea into CD's eyes, with the delay do you think they should release a playable (preferably free) demo within a few months after E3? I say we get as many votes on this so they can see it and hopefully push for a quicker demo release cause I'm too excited to give this game a try- even if it's only a tiny portion of it!
    signature image

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    why not. gives us a little look how it is and whats coming to us.
    signature image

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    Couldn't hurt I assume they will show the part with the wolf on E3, so the demo should be both last year's E3 stuff and this year's E3 stuff
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    I voted "no, not right away", because it would be still too long away from release date.

    A public demo would only make sense about a month or so before release.

    PS. We'll merge this new thread with the existing Official TR9 Demo Discussion Thread. Don't worry, your poll will be transferred to the older thread, LaraRocks2

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  21. #96
    ^ i totally Agree . a demo should be available atleast a month before release
    Think about it . if there would be any demo like "right now" , u have to play the 30 min Demo Over and Over till Q1 2013
    signature image

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    I voted no. I guess having a Demo is going to be awesome, but after playing it once or twice, we'll get bored and want more.
    signature image

  23. #98
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,576
    I voted no as well, I would much rather they finish the game first rather than waste time making a demo of an early build of the game that is only going to cause even more complaints from fans. I would love to bug test the new game, but I doubt most fans would appreciate all that frustration.

    Crystal Dynamics want to be nice, they can give us the last beta demo the magazines get to play for the final previews. They should be able to release that one in December if they actually do a seperate demo, rather than just having the entire game for each presentation and only playing part of it. If not I will happily wait till 2013 to play the final demo.
    Emma Watson would make a great Lara, and a British actress should play a British icon!

  24. #99
    I want it when it's ready.

    If the game is put back because it isn't ready for release, it's a safe bet the same would be true for a playable demo.

    I don't want something that's going to CTD on me every five minutes.

    So 'neither of the above' really
    signature image

  25. #100
    Wouldn't want it right after E3 but do I want a demo, yes maybe around Dec or Jan(2013). I still might even play it then though or at least very much of it, don't like spoiling to much for when the game does comes out.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •