View Poll Results: Would you play a demo of TR9 if CD releases one before March 5th?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    43 69.35%
  • NO

    10 16.13%
  • Depends on how long before March 5th the demo will be released

    9 14.52%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 351

Thread: Official TR9 Demo Discussion Thread | update Jan 22: Meagan explains (see OP)

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821
    The Thailand demo had like no spoilers :P It did leave a huge cliff hanger though xD
    It was from the beginning of the Thailand level, to the bit where you "fall" down by the statue's. Then the level faded out, and the TR:U trailer started to play :P

  2. #52
    Oooooh I loved the TRU demo. Played it so many times and still found something new to explore every time. There were no spoilers whatsoever. Even though you heard some conversation between you and those squatters in your mansion you weren't clued in to what they were talking about so no harm done.

    People did manage to unpack the BIG files in the games resources and find resources that gave some things away.
    Qu'est-ce que

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Hmm, okay. But obviously, with this new game it's going to be a very different story.

    It's not just another LAU continuation, it's almost a completely different game and Lara will look and move much differently.

    I guess playing a demo of TR9 would be a much bigger "spoiler" than the demo of TRU.

    I'm still undecided...

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  4. #54
    please now,
    i already knew the tru ending before the game was out in stores itself..
    i know sooo many people who downloaded it illegally (as always pc&xbox gamers) and again, before it even came out!
    tru had the worse newsfeed ever, shame though.. it's demo wasn't spoiling indeed, but hackers unpacked the big files.. aw hold on.. more spoilers! i don't know why cd let so many to be published before the game came out.
    as for the new TR.. the demo we saw in E3 would be cool to have it, but please CD.. a couple gameplay trailers, 2 renders and that's it before it's released.. no spoilers this time can u?
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

  5. #55
    I agree that the E3 demo is the best demo they could give Maybe put a bit of the combat system in it so we can get a taste of that too

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    @Denis, I'm surprised how you think that there aren't any PS pirates xD

    And I think they can't spoil anything if the demo is from the begining of the game
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    ^ Because the PS3 hasn't been jailbroken.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    But it has... At least the older versions...
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  9. #59
    ^
    Yes it has. I know people who have fake games on PS3....

  10. #60
    triber says it ironically, he tends to be funny most of times :P

    anyway i don't say ps3 isn't jailbroken and that pc& xbox bad, im saying that the only ways so far to copy original games in other disc happens to dvds not blu rays..
    plus maybe ps3 got jailbroken but u still need the original game, on pc and xbox u can get the game copied without the original game at all,
    i hate when im being smart ass but believe me, so far until today at least, you can't copy original bd games to other bd disc from what i know..
    now no im not buying games illegally, i don't know how they copy the original games either, it just happens to me to be a multimedia student and im interested in technology..

    driber no, im not provoking copy here.. just saying that ps3 is much safer than it's counterparts because it can't read copied game discs
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

  11. #61
    ^
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I hardly know anything about PS3 :P

  12. #62
    lol but u have a ps3.. YOU WERE ONLINE SOME MINS AGO YOUUU! :P
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
    I know people who have fake games on PS3....
    You hang around with criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Denis.. View Post
    triber says it ironically, he tends to be funny most of times :P
    Hmmm, I don't know this triber person you speak of, but he sounds like my kinda guy

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  14. #64
    I would only want to try a demo to see how combat and the mechanics work. I would say that they should make the demo about her on the ship and have Roth teach her some moves sorta like jumping and wall-climbing like the Mirror's Edge demo but just the training. Then that way nothing of the story is given away and we get to see how Lara moves and fights and things that could make us really want to buy the game but not get annoyed by spoiling the story.

  15. #65
    I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...and that's what results in all this copy-protection stuff.

    As much as I love PS3, and am glad that so far, blu-ray seems to be a fairly inviolable medium to prevent piracy...I figure it is only a matter of time before some resourceful jackass of a hacker will break the encryptions and security, and thus another medium has been compromised.

    Have I mentioned that I murderously hate hackers?
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    ^ That's definitely not the case for all demos.

    I remember that the demo for Just Cause 2 did indeed contain the entire world in it's code, but only as low-polygon textureless areas.

    The demo was hacked and players could move outside of the restricted demo area, but there wasn't really much to see there anyway. Just white blobs of other islands.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  17. #67
    Such harsh language! Gosh. Seems to me if you're looking for spoilers you're going to find them. Very little will get in the way of that.

    Now, what happened with DX:HR is an interesting case. As far as I know, in the months prior to release a more or less finished product was given to select journalists to play and review. Somehow, through someone, somewhere this mini-pre-release-game (which was NOT the entire game, Martok, but just select missions) was "leaked." Now, I had been following the development of DX:HR for about three years and had as much a mind of doubt about the game as anyone else I knew - through an extremely vivid dream which I can recall almost completely even now I found myself coming into the means of playing this leaked game and loving it. Actually playing the game did for me (at least in my dream) what Eidos Montreal or Square Enix or whoever's marketing could not, which was make me really excited for the game.

    That, after all is purpose of any demo in'it? To grab potential customers? I definitely can say playing the TRU demo factored into my decision to buy that game. I have doubts about this latest TR game, even - or especially - after seeing the E3 demo. I would really appreciate knowing what it's like to play the darned thing before throwing money at it.

    If you're already a fan and dead-set on buying and liking the game then a demo isn't for you. It may contain spoilers for you, but for me, I'm more interested in knowing if the game (you know, like gameplay and not the story and a cut-scene) is actually fun.
    Qu'est-ce que

  18. #68
    A lot of demos, I really don't mind playing...especially if they're more than just five minute quickies that only give you the slightest taste of what the gameplay is going to be like. Demos that can run up to an hour are awesome.

    Admittedly, I am avoiding the demo for Mass Effect 3. Don't know why. Just am. Eagerly awaiting the game though. Loved the first two...and I am probably one of the few that actually enjoyed using the ground vehicle in the first game.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    (which was NOT the entire game, Martok, but just select missions)

    LOL! Well, like I was pretty sure I clearly said in my other post: as complete as it was "at the time"...in other words, the state of the build at the time the demo was released, as most demos are released while still in the build state...the latter portion of the build state to be sure, but still clearly not quite in the completed stages.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  20. #70
    OK - maybe I wasn't clear. The entire game was completed at the point of the leak. It was not packaged in what was leaked. I know this because after purchasing DX:HR and revisiting those locations that were in the leak everything is completely the same.

    Your concern is that a demo contains substantially more content than what is intended for gamers and that somehow, someone like yourself who doesn't like spoilers would *oops!* stumble upon something you don't want to see. This is 1) simply not true because of the examples I and Driber have provided and 2) a pretty weak case for the argument for why a demo for a TR shouldn't be made; that someone who actively avoids spoiling the game would put himself in the position of spoiling the game and then say "Look! The game is spoiled!" when that kind of information exists with or without a demo.
    Qu'est-ce que

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    OK - maybe I wasn't clear. The entire game was completed at the point of the leak. It was not packaged in what was leaked. I know this because after purchasing DX:HR and revisiting those locations that were in the leak everything is completely the same.

    Your concern is that a demo contains substantially more content than what is intended for gamers and that somehow, someone like yourself who doesn't like spoilers would *oops!* stumble upon something you don't want to see. This is 1) simply not true because of the examples I and Driber have provided and 2) a pretty weak case for the argument for why a demo for a TR shouldn't be made; that someone who actively avoids spoiling the game would put himself in the position of spoiling the game and then say "Look! The game is spoiled!" when that kind of information exists with or without a demo.
    Actually, I am not among those who worry too much about spoilers in video games, since the demos only represent a miniscule portion of their respective games.
    Arguments of such are certainly not with me.

    I was merely pointing out that there are obviously those jackasses out there who will leak as much of the game as possible (the entire game, if assuredly possible) for bragging rights, or for some sense
    of "why pay for the game?".

    I'm gonna stop right here because I am pretty vehement in my dislike (read: hatred) for hackers and pirates...and do not wish to further derail the thread. Back to the subject....demo..yeah or nea?
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  22. #72
    Yeah.

    The topic is relevant. It can be, as you say, the unfortunate outcome of having a demo made and released to the public. I sense that your feelings are strong enough in this case that you would rather a demo never be made so that "pirates" would not have the means to breach the sacred, infallible copyright laws - at least, ahead of schedule.

    Or is there another reason you would not like to see a demo? As is, you are taking it another level, which I find to be ridiculous. As I'm following, it actually would bother you if a demo existed. I cannot agree with this. This thinking, of treating the product as something that needs to be protected and restricted leads to draconian DRM measures which end up screwing all of the consumer base.

    Conversely, a demo is meant to share the game without charging the full cost of it, to allow more people to experience the game and in all likelihood end up purchasing it in the end.
    Qu'est-ce que

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    You hang around with criminals?
    Duh! I had tea with Holleeder last week.



  24. #74
    I'm gonna just stop right here because, Tricky, it's quite obvious you don't know where I'm coming from. I'm sure everyone else understood me just fine.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    @Tricky + @Martok
    I understand you both, which is why I think your arguing is silly.
    Martok was simply stating truth.
    Tricky was saying how he/she preferred to play a demo.
    You're both arguing about gameplay in demos that could potentially be leaked, whether the gameplay is leaked or not, It doesn't defeat that fact that if you look for the leaks you're going to ruin your experience. That doesn't mean a demo shouldn't be released and it doesn't mean that it should be hacked as spoiled but either way, your both arguing for no reason.
    Now make up! TR fans shouldn't fight!
    signature image

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •