Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: Am i the only one who was made sad by the newly released footage?

Am i the only one who was made sad by the newly released footage?

They could make Batman's cape and cowl pink with purple polka dots and the game wouldn't fail. On a related note, it would be nice to get a Batman of Zur-En-Arrh unlockable costume.

Exactly, what Jerren is asking for is too much for something that VERY little use. I will admit that what I've seen of the dive bomb animation makes it look entirely possible to have the cape wrasp around his entire body but the physics involved in the basic cape functions (gliding, cape stun, dive bomb) alone much less the natural physics of walking, running, jumping, falling are all too much as is.

Originally Posted by DarkVictory

I always thought the best way Rocksteady could include this that wouldn't require a whole lot f work is to include the cape wrapping around Batman's body as part of a specific animation (my idea would be a move wear Batman hides in a dark corner). This way, the cape doesn't have to animate dynamically from this position but we still get to see the look (however briefly).
    THis

What bugs me about the gauntlets clipping through the cape is it only happens because the fins are really long. If they cut them down just slightly there'd be no problem.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    What bugs me about the gauntlets clipping through the cape is it only happens because the fins are really long. If they cut them down just slightly there'd be no problem.
    I agree.

But look, the way the cape dynamics work isn't that the cape recognizes every nook and cranny of Batman's body and flows around that. There are invisible boundaries that the game engine calculates between the major extremities of the body, particularly the upper arm and back. Then special dynamics -- like wind, weight, stretch, drag during walking and running, and centrifugal force when spinning -- are calculated into the cloth. So, when Batman is just standing there, even when it's windy, you'll see the cape seem to flow behind him like normal. But the gamer just believes that it's natural movement. In all actuality the cape is essentially avoiding Batman's body to prevent any hint of clipping and unnecessary calculation for musculature collision.

I imagine that for special, cape-specific functions like the gliding and the defensive spin-move some kind of blend shape function is employed to get the came from it's default, real-time simulation, to the animated and fully held wingspan.

Now, my guess would be that if you wanted Batman to have the cape wrap around the body it would be as simple as a combination of things -- dynamic simulation of the cape AND some simple hand keyed animation. In other words, if you want Batman to wrap himself in the cape, set the function so that the cape closes and hangs for, say, 90% of the full model while the bottom 10% simulates wind or drag, and then animate the visibility of the fins on the gauntlets so that they aren't poking out of the front of the cape. All this coupled with a slow moving Batman would make for a believable presentation. And even if there was some slight clipping on the legs, it sounds like that won't prevent anyone from getting Game of the Year.
    "I make art until someone dies."
    http://stoobytoons.deviantart.com/

what footage is this referring to? because i sure as marbles havent seen any. unless you mean the CGI "footage" where, even if they DID put the cape wrap-around, you wouldnt be able to tell cause of all the fighting. and what movie is that batman-bale pic from? i dont remember him doing that.
    Hi Billy Mays here!

Originally Posted by Billy Mays
    what footage is this referring to? because i sure as marbles havent seen any. unless you mean the CGI "footage" where, even if they DID put the cape wrap-around, you wouldnt be able to tell cause of all the fighting. and what movie is that batman-bale pic from? i dont remember him doing that.
    Theres a 10 second clip of Arkham City on youtube.

And the Bat-Bale pic is a promo shot from Begins.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Billy Mays
    There's a brief gameplay video of Arkham City from the Inside Xbox preview videos, and that's from Batman Begins, when he takes Rachel to the Batcave.

EDIT: Ah, too late
    Poor little Batman. YOU'RE IN MY WORLD NOW! - Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Asylum

That Bale pic is a production photo, they were obviously shooting a CU shot & wouldn't see him holding the cape.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

can anyone provide a link for this 10 second clip?

EDIT: found it
    Hi Billy Mays here!

In a more realistic view, the cape would not work that way unless it was attached to the suit in front of his neck under his chin and it would trip him when he wants to run. It makes more sense for the cape to be the way it is now.

Originally Posted by Doat1
    In a more realistic view, the cape would not work that way unless it was attached to the suit in front of his neck under his chin
    Um, it is attached that way in most interpretations of the character, including the games.

and it would trip him when he wants to run.
    Thats why he flips it over his shoulders when he runs or fights or does anything action-y.

Um, it is attached that way in most interpretations of the character, including the games.

Thats why he flips it over his shoulders when he runs or fights or does anything action-y.
    In cartoons yea but that wouldn't work effectively in the real world. It would be better and simpler to have it the way it is in Nolan's films because it's forward enough so all he has to do is pull the cape around him a little bit and not have to waste time moving the cape out of the way when he wants to run.

There Professional game makers. They have a enormous team working hard for this game I am positive. Therefore I hope to see Batman's cape be able to drape in front of him when he is moving smoothly, then when he really wants to sprint his cape will then go over his shoulders. I did not like the part in the little clip when he ran toward the wall leaped up and did a roll into a wall. I really hope Batman plays smoothly this time around. He should be able to leap up and front flip in the air and land on his feet easy. Still hoping for all batman's costumes from the comics. Sky Blue, Dark Blue, Navy Blue, Black and the different cowls,or just let us customize him the color and we want.

Jumping over a ledge or something and doing flips and all of that is unnecessary he should just jump over the ledge normally unless he is fighting.

In cartoons yea but that wouldn't work effectively in the real world. It would be better and simpler to have it the way it is in Nolan's films because it's forward enough so all he has to do is pull the cape around him a little bit and not have to waste time moving the cape out of the way when he wants to run.
    Yeah but the real world is boring. Why would you want something to be like a real world?

I'd rather have something that looks cool than something as lame as this:

Yeah, realistically speaking, Batman's cape is better from a functional perspective behind his shoulders, like in Nolan's films.

Aesthetically speaking, however, it looks pretty bad -*ss when he's all wrapped up in it.

Originally Posted by TheBat
    There Professional game makers. They have a enormous team working hard for this game I am positive. Therefore I hope to see Batman's cape be able to drape in front of him when he is moving smoothly, then when he really wants to sprint his cape will then go over his shoulders. I did not like the part in the little clip when he ran toward the wall leaped up and did a roll into a wall. I really hope Batman plays smoothly this time around. He should be able to leap up and front flip in the air and land on his feet easy. Still hoping for all batman's costumes from the comics. Sky Blue, Dark Blue, Navy Blue, Black and the different cowls,or just let us customize him the color and we want.
    Just because they are professional game makers does not automatically make difficult programming tasks easy. Free-flowing fabric that realistically drapes all the way around a person's body is something almost no game makers are able to do. Besides the number of man hours it would take getting it to work, it would at the current moment be a pretty big drain on system resources and there are far more important things I think Rocksteady would be better off focusing the game engine on handling.

As for Batman jumping and doing flips and landing on his feet... I certainly hope not. It's not realistic and it looks cheesy to see people move like that. Batman's movements should be functional (as they were, for the most part, in AA). I wouldn't mind seeing him be able to traverse the environment a little bit more organically (like Ezio from Assassin's Creed, for example), but if they start adding a lot of unnecessary jumps and flips, I would not be happy!

people on this forum whine so damn much, be glad you get to see any footage.
    Whatever happened to the American dream? It came true, you're looking at it .

Yeah but the real world is boring. Why would you want something to be like a real world?

I'd rather have something that looks cool than something as lame as this:

I don't think that looks lame.

The fact that he has to awkwardly pull the cape shut and only half-suceeds because its designed to not do that doesn't look lame?

All the movie suits have looked lamed in varying degrees. There I said it.

The fact that he has to awkwardly pull the cape shut and only half-suceeds because its designed to not do that doesn't look lame?

All the movie suits have looked lamed in varying degrees. There I said it.
    Awww.. that's too bad. Oh well, we can't agree on everything, OBK.

Batman's suit should be function over form not vice versa /discussion

Batman's suit should be function over form not vice versa /discussion
    He's not Iron Man, if that's what you're trying to go for. First and foremost, the function has been to take on the form of a bat and strike fear into the hearts of the underworld. The rest of the stuff has been piled under that common thread to some varying degree since its inception.

Originally Posted by stoobytoons
    He's not Iron Man, if that's what you're trying to go for. First and foremost, the function has been to take on the form of a bat and strike fear into the hearts of the underworld. The rest of the stuff has been piled under that common thread to some varying degree since its inception.
    That isn't what i was trying to go for at all, this is useless

That isn't what i was trying to go for at all, this is useless
    No, it makes perfect sense in response to your "function over form" non-conversation-ender. He looks more like a bat with the cape draped over him. His name is Batman. All his gimmicks are bat-puns. What's not to understand? Are you goddam dense? (channeling Miller )

If your comment was true still, they should just have Batman stop being a costumed hero with a cape and cowl, instead give him a full-body exoskeleton with missiles that fire from his gauntlets too. He could kick everyone's ass throughtout the game!

Gadgets over skill would be the result, instead of a balance between the two like their should be. Face it, form over function rules, because its a comic book character.

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last