Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New IGN Article!

New IGN Article!

  1. #1

    New IGN Article!

    Most of it is stuff we've already known...but there are some goodies in here! Read and enjoy!

    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1152006p1.html

  2. #2
    I wish they would not make us so dependent on detective mode i want to see the game in its' glory.

  3. #3
    Detective mode can be turned on and off....for the first game I didn't use it as much because I wanted to enjoy my surroundings....no need to leave it on.

  4. #4
    well it's easier to navigate around with it on because you can easily and quickly spot vents and such to escape or flank around for attacks. Then again we can do that without detective mode but there is a higher chance we would miss something.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Mckflicus
    Detective mode can be turned on and off....for the first game I didn't use it as much because I wanted to enjoy my surroundings....no need to leave it on.
    Exactly. I only used it when necessary and it would've driven me crazy to have it on all the time. Detective Mode didn't stop me from just looking around the game and soaking in the environment which was one of the best parts of the experience. And if there's more complicated puzzles to solve it makes sense Detective Mode would play a bigger role.

  6. #6
    Yea you can turn it off but there is an advantage with it on like i said. I don't think i'll be worried about that much though since we'll have more gadgets and fighting i think.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    Interesting. Doat1 stated a wish to not be dependent on Detective Mode as much, and that part was skipped over to focus on the toggle, as if it fixes things. Is it okay to wish to be able to play the game just fine without toggling DM off and on and off and on, and so on, so as to not be so dependent on DM, and so the environment is enjoyable without acting like a tourist to stop, switch off DM, and then admire the scenery, before switching DM back on and proceeding?

  8. #8
    There are numerous articles like this of a Pre GDC event that demoed arkham city. They all spoke of the same event. Hopefully we will get some footage of this at GDC

  9. #9
    This is good. We should be getting some gameplay video's very soon if people are getting hands on now
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,830
    Why on earth would you make a thread for this?..

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by JackWinz
    Why on earth would you make a thread for this?..
    Why not? It reveals plenty of new information, like detective mode, Calender man's stories and general impressions from someone who has actually played the game.

  12. #12
    Can't wait for GDC. The new details sound great. Seems Batman is a lot more mobile, love to see how Bats clings to a helicopter with the grapple.

    The most interesting is the specific holiday stories from Calender Man. It's cool that when we return to him on that day in real life we hear out his story of the crime Calender Man attempted.
    Why So Serious?
    - Joker

  13. #13
    Key information from the article:

    -- Arkham City seems to be, even if more organically, separated into districts per villain as opposed to each villain just having a hideout as was previously thought.

    -- Visiting Calendar Man's cell on real-life holidays offers stories (missions?) based on that specific day. He'll more than likely reference The Long Halloween/Dark Victory among other events.

    -- I don't mind more use of detective mode as long as this means much more puzzles and not only scavenger hunts. I found that I just wasn't satisfied with the amount of detective work to be done in Asylum. My biggest annoyance with all the articles that talk about detective mode is that no one has mentioned if it has visually changed as Rocksteady had said this was one of the first things they'd look into changing.

  14. #14
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I wasnt dependent on Detective Mode. Outside of Silent Predator and finding riddles and maybe an initial scan of walking in new areas, I had it OFF. And the fact many people had it on during the entire game says more about the gamer than the game itself.

  15. #15
    I wish they'd just ditch the crappy blue tint during detective mode. Aside from that its fine the way it is and the tint is just unnecessary IMO.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,063
    It always annoyed me when I'd see people play through Arkham Asylum with detective vision on ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

    I mean, you're not going to suffer greatly for leaving it off for more than 5 - 10 minutes at a time. You don't need to find and solve every puzzle the first time. Just leave it off and admire the pretty graphics for 5 minutes.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by SirRoscoe
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I wasnt dependent on Detective Mode. Outside of Silent Predator and finding riddles and maybe an initial scan of walking in new areas, I had it OFF.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say. I didn't like the look of detective mode and found it distracting in situations where it didn't have a practical purpose. Why you'd switch it on when it wasn't needed baffles me.
    Originally Posted by The New Blueguy
    -- I don't mind more use of detective mode as long as this means much more puzzles and not only scavenger hunts.
    That's pretty much what's been implied so far which is cool. That one demo had Bats tracing the trajectory of a bullet.

    And here's the pic again of detective mode. It could still change a bit.

  18. #18
    http://kotaku.com/#!5769708/batman-arkham-city

    Kotaku has a little blog too
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

  19. #19
    "Merry Christma-" "GUYS, SHUT-UP! Calender Man's telling me a story"



    ((X) Achievement Unlock: Interrupt a Family Dinner on a Holiday 150g )

  20. #20
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by JD_Method
    It always annoyed me when I'd see people play through Arkham Asylum with detective vision on ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

    I mean, you're not going to suffer greatly for leaving it off for more than 5 - 10 minutes at a time. You don't need to find and solve every puzzle the first time. Just leave it off and admire the pretty graphics for 5 minutes.
    Well the thing is without it you do miss a lot of stuff and not everyone wants to go back later to get it. Gamers shouldn't have to choose between progress and eyecandy.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

  22. #22
    when is GDC?

  23. #23
    GamePro also has their impressions up, and they are overwhelmingly positive. However, they expressed disappointment with one aspect: they said the dialogue between Harvey Dent and Catwoman before Batman stages his rescue attempt is "painfully cheesy" and reminiscent of Mr. Freeze's puns in Batman and Robin. Hopefully the dialogue will be stronger outside of the demo...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,063
    Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Well the thing is without it you do miss a lot of stuff and not everyone wants to go back later to get it. Gamers shouldn't have to choose between progress and eyecandy.
    All you'd miss is the odd invisible question mark. It's not like you're blind without it. It's not so much people having it on all the time that annoyed me, it was when people used it all the time and then complained that they had it on. You could turn it off anytime, and detective vision wasn't even necessary to solve a lot of the challenges.

    But they should alter detective vision in Arkham City so the people that do have it on all the time don't miss out on the proper environments and graphics.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by DropkickDisco
    GamePro also has their impressions up, and they are overwhelmingly positive. However, they expressed disappointment with one aspect: they said the dialogue between Harvey Dent and Catwoman before Batman stages his rescue attempt is "painfully cheesy" and reminiscent of Mr. Freeze's puns in Batman and Robin. Hopefully the dialogue will be stronger outside of the demo...
    This has been my primary concern since the first reveal in the Gameinformer article. Maybe it wasn't in the GI article but somewhere the full dialogue exchange was posted. I don't mind that stuff in different mediums when it fits within the setting ex. goofier stories, Brave & the Bold. But I don't think it fits this game.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last