Thread: February 24. EMBARGO LIFT - PREVIEW consolidation thread of fun times

February 24. EMBARGO LIFT - PREVIEW consolidation thread of fun times

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Just goes to show, if you give people the option to play a game very differently from a "Shooter", they will. Gamers are fed up with guns and shooting in everything other than Football Manager.
    This is why I enjoy(ed) the THIEF games so much.

V

Originally Posted by Vladimyre
    This is why I enjoy(ed) the THIEF games so much.
    V
    Same here. Do you play the fan missions too?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Some yes, I have physical media for all 3 games. I think the only one I do not have is the gold box. Some of the mod's are amazing. I'm hoping that EM brings all this modding goodness too the new installment. It's why I always by the PC version. You get SO much more bang for the buck and it's awesome to see all these other peoples creativity. I still go back and run through the boxed games from time to time. I believe they also have a unreal mod/map geared towards THIEF fans too.

V

Originally Posted by singularity
    12 Points rewarded for killing AND for finding multiple paths, AND for hacking (but if I back track and do all 3, do I get more points?)
    So will you lose out on a bunch of experience if your playing a stealth character? Anyone see anything about that?

Originally Posted by IOOI
    This is awesome! An it makes it even more awesome that DX devs thought of this. (Make sure to watch the whole video.)
    This is exactly what I did.

I found Deus Ex Ultimate Run youtube channel, that's the stuff. No-item, no-aug, no-skill, no-glitch, realistic, whole game, all three endings. That guy is a Deus Ex God.
    Dr. Loboto: The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain...
    the good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing.

If enemys only drop and hand full of bullets, then does the enemy like the player possess a limited resource, running out of ammo in prolonged incounters (not that you would what that) or are they unlimited in supplys like so many games today ?

Originally Posted by Reven
    If enemys only drop and hand full of bullets, then does the enemy like the player possess a limited resource, running out of ammo in prolonged incounters (not that you would what that) or are they unlimited in supplys like so many games today ?
    Haven't enemies always been like that? I don't think it's fair to pin that on this generation of games.
    "flee it or die upon it."
    -A.W. Tozer

They never run out of ammo. But you get nothing from them, if you take too long to kill them, it seems. And what exactly will they do anyway, if they run out of ammo? Melee combat doesn't exist in this game after all.

In deus ex they ran out of ammo, it was useful in no kill runs with the NSF. i was able to knock out hordes of them or get them into each others cross fire and watch them fight it out. i would be a shame not to keep it here as well. but i guess EM want to show of their takedowns and everything else must come second.

Huh, I never tried that.
    Well, I concede the point that Deus Ex had this feature.

But hardly any game other than Deus Ex has ever had this feature (Oblivion?), so we definitely can't blame it on modern games.
    -A.W. Tozer

Originally Posted by dxb
    But hardly any game other than Deus Ex has ever had this feature (Oblivion?), so we definitely can't blame it on modern games.
    Which is why I think that while DX:HR has to have some major differences when compared to DX, the stuff that worked and was somewhat unique should've stayed rather than discarded. The changes should improve on the original, not just change it.

Metal gear solid 2-3-4 had it (i think) and i also think FEAR had it as well as fallout 3 i hear some enemys says they have run out. so its not as common as it should be in games, i just think it adds a nice tactical edge.

Originally Posted by Mindmute
    Which is why I think that while DX:HR has to have some major differences when compared to DX, the stuff that worked and was somewhat unique should've stayed rather than discarded. The changes should improve on the original, not just change it.
    I agree with this. I believe, as a design philosophy, this is the best way to approach a new game in a great series, especially one whose fundamentals haven't been exhausted yet. EM used a different design philosophy, I'd say; but surprisingly, this game seems to have a lot of real connection to the Deus Ex I love, in all the places that really matter to me. So for that reason, I think I'm going to love the game. But yes, I believe that 'reinventing' DX was a dangerous (even irreverent) approach. I don't really respect it (in concept), and I understand if others wind up hating the game because of what this approach produces. But I still expect to love it.
    -A.W. Tozer

Originally Posted by Reven
    Metal gear solid 2-3-4 had it (i think) and i also think FEAR had it as well as fallout 3 i hear some enemys says they have run out. so its not as common as it should be in games, i just think it adds a nice tactical edge.
    Well, those are all relatively new games. But I'm preeeeetty sure MGS 2 and 3 didn't have it.
    -A.W. Tozer

Im not sure about MGS 2 but in 3 if you blow up the ammo sheds and pantries the enemy will have no more then a mag or two coupled with hunger that made them poor shots. older games like fallout 1 - 2 as well as baldurs gate and jagged alliance allowed you so annoy enemys until they ran out forcing them into hand to hand. in fallout 2 it was fun to see an enemy come for you only for you to open the skull with a super sledge and that thing is 3 times as powerful as FO3 super sledge. iam sure there are others but i have forgotten them.

Originally Posted by VectorM
    They never run out of ammo.
    Do we know this for sure?. In the original Deus Ex it took a long time for them to run out of ammo and they seem to be a lot tougher in this new game.
    "I spill my drink!"
    "...what a shame..."

Originally Posted by Arksun
    Do we know this for sure?. In the original Deus Ex it took a long time for them to run out of ammo and they seem to be a lot tougher in this new game.
    I think we should get a confirmation on this if possible. perhaps a MOD can pass this on to higher powers ?

What is the big deal about this exactly? The only thing wrong with it, from my point of view, is that it makes the game more unrealistic. But other than that, what is the big gripe? "Makes the game more tactical" doesn't exactly fly, since the AI can't really decide how to use it's ammo effectively.

The Nameless Mod guys talked about this on their forums. In DX, NPCs have no energy, they don't even have actual augmentations. Most of them just have hard-coded resistances. In TNM, they do have augmentations (kinda), but they don't waste energy, because there is no way to make the AI be reasonable with the way it uses up it's energy. All it would do, was promote hit and run tactics, where you wait for them to run out of energy and then just shoot them in the head.

This seems to be similar. It makes the game harder and it forces you to use more clever tactics, rather than "Show up, make them shoot at you, hide behind boxes till they run out of ammo, trolololol everyone".

Its not really a big deal other then the realism. i just get sick of having enemys who can fire all day long yet when killed they have 3 bullets for a gun they dont even own (looking at you S.t.a.l.k.e.r ). if games 10 years ago could do it (deus ex) then more modern games can as well. if it an A.I thing then have four man squads with one serving as a resupply man like in some multiplayer games.

Originally Posted by Coyotegrey
    No problem. If you like this kind of thing, I can definitely do it again in the future. If you have recommendations, ideas, and/or general ways I can improve this or any other activity, hit me with a PM.
    Yes, please do... if you have the time in future events. This thread is a wonderful convenience and a great idea.
    signature image

Well since the "February 24: What Will Happen?" thread has been closed, I have to write my answer here: "Surprisingly little, actually."

Originally Posted by -=fox=-
    Well since the "February 24: What Will Happen?" thread has been closed, I have to write my answer here: "Surprisingly little, actually."
    I still don't get why people expected miracles to happen.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

I already said people will be disappointed no matter what happens.

Originally Posted by Irate Iguana
    I still don't get why people expected miracles to happen.
    Yeah. I don't believe we ever hyped anything.

Page 5 of 8 First First 12345678 Last