Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last

Thread: I played the game and I'm here to answer all of your questions

I played the game and I'm here to answer all of your questions

I played the game and I'm here to answer all of your questions

As I've mentioned before in a couple of threads, I've played the demo shown to the press and would like to give you the opportunity to ask some questions about Deus Ex I might be able to answer. Now the embargo for the second preview is due tomorrow so untill then I'll only answer some questions related to the first level of the game. Just giving you a day in advance allows me to answer more questions simultaniously.

Few things I can't discuss:

* The ist of augmentations and their upgrades. It is under permanent embargo and even if it wasnt, I honestly dont have it in my head. Can try to confirm specific augmentations though.
    * The exploration of the cities. This was not in the demo and thus I cant tell you more than you can read from interviews and older previews.
    * Anything story specific past the second mission, again, because I havent played that part.

So fire away

__

With Daeda's kind permission, a summary of the Q&As has been added:

SUMMARY OF Q&As

Does the game feel cyberpunky?
    Yes

What about music played during the missions if it was at all? Is it context dependent? Does it sound like in the first game?
    Among others it featured (a remix of) Unatco HQ - can't be more Deus Ex than that! Music is great, no worries.

Does the game suck?
    No. My site still has it listed as #1 game for 2011 (partly due to me being excited about the game).

Is the difficulty really as hard as they say it will be? (did you play on "Deus Ex"?....I will )
    I played on normal. Died a lot. So yeah, its hard, but in a good way. You're all really better of for starting to like the cover system, cause it not only makes the combat somewhat better than the original, it is sort of necessary to survive.

How do NPCs act and react to Jensen's movement through the world? Do they become annoyed if he disrupts them while they work, or watch him as he moves around them becoming angry if he begins using their terminals, thus forcing us to become mindful of our actions around them?
    I'm not sure about all NPCs but they do notice you using computers. In the first minutes of the game you can read Dr Megan Reed's PC and she will comment on it. It's safe to assume this also happens with the rest. Haven't tried pissing NPCs off though, as I was on a time limit to finish the demo and in the beginning not much is present to annoy them yet.

I'm not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere, but it looks like the first level is HUD-less (what with Adam still all-natural at this point), with the AR being given a laser sight to make up for the lack of crosshairs. Is this true? If so, its a neat touch.
    Yes this is true - no HUD, as that is an augmentation. I liked this presentation as well.

Is the conversation system totally like Mass Effect? You pick a phrase that you think means "anger" but then actually means "jealousy", thus totally ruining the intended conversation? Got to love not being able to pick exactly what you say.
    In conversation options, when you hover over a word describing whay you're gonna say, it will also show the exact sentence Adam will say. So you never get surprised (at least in the first line).

Does the voice acting sync? Hated Assassins Creed for this...
    Well, its no L.A. Noire but I liked the voice acting and lip sync seemed fine.

How are the cells divided up on the console version? Loading screens every floor?
    The game only loads when you enter a new level. In the case of the demo, that would be 3 loading screens. The rest is hidden in stuff like elevators etc, so you dont notice them. Also, there is some loading time when loading a savegame.

Are you aware if the infinite ammo for the tutorial portion is just for the preview, or will it be in the game itself?
    Describe the red screen when you get hurt. Interviews have stated that "no one throws red jelly in your face", but a new preview says the screen saturates red when you get hurt. Try to compare the effect to another game, if you can.
    Were there any important plot choices to be made in the segment you played? If so, don't tell me what they are or I'll end you.
    In your time playing, did you see any issues (bugs, graphical issues, etc) to indicate that the game won't be ready soon? (say, April?)
    1) I have no idea but I think it is final. No reason for EM to have the press cheat.
    2) I believe it just gets a bit redish, but it didnt stant out from other games enough for me to remember exactly.
    3) Hard to tell. I would say only the choices made at the end of the demo have long term effects, but I cant tell as the demo ended after the mission.
    4) It ran fine, though auto-save was disabled. Felt near finished but David Anfossi told me they still had a lot of bugs to squash out. He also told me that he didnt want to release the game untill he's absolutely sure it is (as good as) bug free. It is esspecially important to EM since its their first game and they dont want to get known for buggy games. My guess for release is currently end of may, early june but thats just a gamble on my side.

How would you rate the level of writing when compared to the first game? Is the dialogue and data written in an eloquent and subtle way?
    There's a lot of discussion and information, some of which is not even presented to you directly. For example, in the opening of the game you can walk around the office of Megan Reed and look at magazines that cant be picked up. The text on their cover is relevant however. It seems like writing will be deep but its hard to give a definitive answer based on what I've played.

How did you tackle the missions?
    Well, as you will have read by now in previews, the game asks you to choose between a lethal or non lethal weapon, and then ranged or close by. I picked ranged non lethal and got a tranq gun. I tried sneaking for the most part, but eventually I blew my cover and since I was on a time limit I decided to also use gunplay. Used a lot of cover, tried to take out guard by a takedown when possible and tried to flank the AI. You need a lot of tactics in the game as you die easily in a direct gunfight. Mostly this means using cover and then sneaking around enemies (who will focus on the last place they've seen you) n order to take them down.

What colour socks does Adam wear, and is there much drama in the choosing? I'm always in such a right state over things like this, and I'd like to see this reflected in my protagonist.
    He likes purple socks with green dots. But he does leave the house when only his red ones are available.

1. Does the gunplay feel satisfying? I know that they are using the new cover system, does it feel like Brothers in Arms 3 or Kane and Lynch 2? I use those as shooter examples.
    2. Are the maps linear or can you honestly tackle them in a variety of ways which lead to different outcomes. In the first game your decisions never affected the story in a true way, it would just disable/enable you to hear different dialogues. Can you stay in an area for a long while to explore or does it get closed off after you have finished with it. Are the maps large?
    3. How are the graphics? Is there a game that you can compare it to so that I get a good scale of the level of detail?
    4. Do the takedowns make the game feel too easy?
    1) Havent played either. Cover system is almost a direct copy of Rainbow Six Vegas (according to Anfossi) so use that as your reference.
    2) The first level is strictly linear, the second is linear in that you always need to god a certain way for your objective. Id probably compare it to Aqua Lab in Deus Ex 1. The rooms are quite large though, so you are able to use you own tactic. Also it features a lot of vent shafts that lead to other parts of the room. I discussed the layout with Anfossi and he told me that the somewhat linear nature of the first levels is to slowly introduce the players into a Deus Ex playstyle. Mission after demo was a cityhub, so then it gets more free and Im quite confident that freedom will also grow over other missions. So you wont get thrown into too much freedom like Liberty Island. The map was huge though and it had some rooms you dont have to go. So multi path, but with (for this mission) a clear goal of where to go.
    3) Well, there are two things I should point out here. Graphically, the game looks good but its not the most beautiful game I've ever played. But graphics aren't everything and the most impressive thing about DXHR is its representation. Rooms are full with magazines, paperwork, cleaning products etc. Most of it is non interactive, but it really gives you a feeling that someone lives in those rooms. Design wise, not everything is functional in Deus Ex and I must say, Ive rarely seen so much detail in levels.
    4) No, absolutely not. A takedown requires a full energy point. During the game, I had 2 and once you use them, only the first automatically regenerates. So this allows you to run into someone and kill them using a takedown (which quite frankly is much better than the melee attacks that never worked properly) but then another guard will gun you down because you're too close and dont have any energy left to also use a takedown on him.

Is the ammo counter always there after you receive your initial augmentations? What about objective markers and radar? How does the radar work?
    I believe its only present is you aim using sights (ie left trigger on consoles). I didn't notice a radar, but I could've just forgotten. I think its an augmentation I didnt' have. Not sure though. Mission marker is just on map if I'm correct.

How are the augmentations divided amongst the four pillars that have been mentioned? Approximate number per pillar?
    * What are the augmentations that Adam starts out with?
    * Are there any consumables such as Thermoptic camo and Rebreathers?
    * Is Adam be able to find and use standard keys?
    * Is there any opening of lockers and crates or do you find all loot just laying there?
    * Does the level design feature frequent instances of conveniently placed waist-high walls?
    * How many different types of combat AI are there?
    * How many different states of alertness are there for AI guards?
    * Do guards still suffer from extreme forgetfulness?
    * Are vents still impenetrable sanctuaries for the sneaky player?
    * Are there any unskippable cutscenes?
    * Are PC players able to define their own hotkeys?
    * Is there locational damage for either Adam or the NPC's? Are there at least damage multipliers on body parts?
    1) Id say most are stealth/action. Then also some trees for hacking and even less for social. Seemed like a right balance as you can imagine stealth and action being more important augmentations. There where a lot though and all of them had long upgrade trees so I think customisation will be more than most can ask for.
    2) Out of the top of my head: single takedown, augmented reality (ie ammo counter etc), basic hacking and communications. Might've forgotten about one though.
    3) Didn't see any, but then again, there was no water for you to need a rebreather.
    4) No, all locks are done by keypads/hacking. You can actually enter passwords on PC though.
    5) There are lockers, don' think there where any crates.
    6) Most of those things feel in place, such as crates or desks. No walls unless there need to be walls.
    7) Hard to tell, often they focus on the last place they saw the player and then investigate/attack if they find you. Some retreat a bit for safety. Don't have a final verdict on the AI, but its definitely better than the original (as you'd hope)
    8) Id say: not alerted, alerted and suspicious. Might also be one for them going from alerted to not alerted.
    9) Not extremely, but if you stay hidden long enough they will resume (albeit probably more suspicious)
    10) Yes, I'd say so.
    11) I think you could skip them, maybe not the cutscene after tutorial as it is a cut scene/credit roll thing. Didn't try since I was actually interested in the story.
    12) Played on PS3, no idea.
    13) For Adam, no idea. For enemies: you'll want to aim for the heads as ammo is scarce and they die much faster that way.

Did you get to try the PC version? (Think it's safe to assume this is a "no" from the start, but worth asking just in case.)
    Did you try playing during combat and stealth without using the third person cover system? If so, how well did it work?
    Once you've alerted enemies, is it possible to slip away, or will they just hunt you relentlessly until either you're dead or they are?
    Did you get to try the hacking minigame? How was it?
    Did you get to try the hacking minigame more than a handful of times? If so, does it become tedious after the first few?
    The claymore is the only direct attack aug we've seen so far (other than the armblades, I guess) - are there more? Personally, I hope not, I'd rather see a lot more "function" augs and leave the attacking to weapons.
    1) Played on PS3, others on X360. Don't think PC was demo-ed (probably partly due to the fact that setting up a console in a restaurant thingy in Paris is much easier than PCs.
    2) Why would I? Seriously, the cover is an improvement, not a burden. You can probably sneak without using it, but it's no fun. Shooting using first person works fine, especially since you have an iron sight. But if you're to bitter to use 3rd person, then don't buy the game as its meant to be appreciated the way it is.
    3) They focus on where they last saw you and if they cant find you there they are mostly alerted.
    4/5) Yes, I did. It was complex but eventually well though out. Getting bonuses out of it is challenging so I can imagine it will stay entertaining, but you could always search for the keycode if you don't want to hack. Not all devices can be hacked immediately btw, some need an upgrade on your augs.
    6) Non that I used. So don't think so.

Was it too obvious where the player was supposed to go?
    In the demo, yeah, kind of. There is always an end goal and a few multi paths that lead there. Its just the beginning of the game though and probably intentional to slowly introduce players. Levels still felt open enough for multiple playthroughs, but you'll have to wait for city maps to really explore.
    Can you explain how the controls work, if you remember? Like what button does what etc.
    From top of my head, on PS3:
    Interaction: X
    Fire: R1
    Aim Sight: L1
    Cover: Hold L2
    Reload: Circle
    Switch weapon: Hold Triangle
    Holster weapon: Press triangle
    Use augmentation: D-Pad
    Inventory/Menu: Select
    Crouch: Press Left Thumb

Not entirely sure though, but controls worked fine.

Can you comment on how agressive/responsive the AI felt? Did they always attack you more or less in the same manner or they did they seem to react and adapt to what you were doing?
    How often did you run out of BE (or how easy was it to keep the Augs on for extended periods)?
    How did guards react when suspicious that someone was in the room/Did they even seem to ever be suspicious or just jumped from oblivious to "there he is!"?
    1) They take a few seconds to go from noticing you to shooting you. They where automatically hostile though, which is hardly a surprise as it was a combat mission.
    2) Very often. You only have a few energy slots and especially in the beginning of the game, no real mehods for refilling em. Since takedowns require an energy slot (first always regenerates slowly) I ran out each time I took someone down. This made cloaking something I could only use for a couple of seconds before becoming visible again.
    3) If they find a dead body they will research that and look around. If they then see you, they will attack obviously. But if you're invisible, they will be suspicious.

Is general-gameplay-feel similar to the DeusEx 1? Is it really a thinking shooter?
    Did you find any "secret areas" on the map(s) during play?
    What was the most memorable thing from your gameplay experience?
    During first real mission in DE:HR - did you try different approaches to solve the problems?
    1) Yes, in terms of actual shooting maybe more so, as the cover system requires you to flank enemies, sneak up close for takedowns etc. Just starting by spraying bullets will get you killed. Plus, there isn't too much ammo so you try to save some.
    2) Id say the on-rails walkthrough at the tutorial. In terms of level design, the opening of the second mission. In it you have a warehouse you can enter through both a door and the roos and inside its full of bad guys that I just couldnt take out one by one without them noticing me (yeah I sucked ). Also, the social boss fight at the end, but my audio went buggy and time ran out so it didn't leave the impression it should have :P
    3) Yes, I tried sneaking at first, then more aggressive. Tried augmentations, tranq darts, flanking, fleeing, you name it. It really allows you to form your own playstyle.

When you walk around in those levels, do these levels also feel 'alive', much like a real existing place? As if it's inhabited, rather then patrolled?
    Yes, the detail in each room is amazing and unlike any game ive seen. Not all interactive, mind you, but rooms are full of clutter so they don't feel sterile.

Is the ammo counter always there after you receive your initial augmentations? What about objective markers and radar? How does the radar work?
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Just a few questions, answer as you please.

1. Does the gunplay feel satisfying? I know that they are using the new cover system, does it feel like Brothers in arms 3 or Kane and Lynch 2? I use those as shooter examples.

2. Are the maps linear or can you honestly tackle them in a variety of ways which lead to different outcomes. In the first game your decisions never affected the story in a true way, it would just disable/enable you to hear different dialogues. Can you stay in an area for a long while to explore or does it get closed off after you have finished with it. Are the maps large?

3. How are the graphics? Is there a game that you can compare it to so that I get a good scale of the level of detail?

4. Do the takedowns make the game feel too easy?

Thanks

When you get hit, do you see red jelly in your face?

Originally Posted by Zakka
    I hate when people say this. What else do you expect to happen when you get hit? In old games when you got hit there was simply a red marker pointing in the direction of the bullet. I hate to say it but the red jelly makes the gameplay feel SO REAL!

Originally Posted by Zakka
    If im not mistaken, then yes.

Should note that its been a month ago btw so some details might be blurry in my memory. Other questions so far will have to waint untill tomorrow, dont want to piss of EM.

Originally Posted by Daeda
    As I've mentioned before in a couple of threads, I've played the demo shown to the press and would like to give you the opportunity to ask some questions about Deus Ex I might be able to answer. Now the embargo for the second preview is due tomorrow so untill then I'll only answer some questions related to the first level of the game. Just giving you a day in advance allows me to answer more questions simultaniously.

Few things I can't discuss:

* The ist of augmentations and their upgrades. It is under permanent embargo and even if it wasnt, I honestly dont have it in my head. Can try to confirm specific augmentations though.
    * The exploration of the cities. This was not in the demo and thus I cant tell you more than you can read from interviews and older previews.
    * Anything story specific past the second mission, again, because I havent played that part.

So fire away
    Hey thanks for the offer, here are my questions:

- How rewarding is exploration outside the main mission path? Are there i.e. hidden stashes of items, safes for which you can find the keycode somewhere or doorlocks to hack just to get at the goodies inside the room?

- Can you name some of the misc. items? We know there are chocolate bars, what else is there? Chips? Soda?

Are you aware if the infinite ammo for the tutorial portion is just for the preview, or will it be in the game itself?

Describe the red screen when you get hurt. Interviews have stated that "no one throws red jelly in your face", but a new preview says the screen saturates red when you get hurt. Try to compare the effect to another game, if you can.

Were there any important plot choices to be made in the segment you played? If so, don't tell me what they are or I'll end you.

In your time playing, did you see any issues (bugs, graphical issues, etc) to indicate that the game won't be ready soon? (say, April?)
    "flee it or die upon it."
    -A.W. Tozer

Originally Posted by dxb
    Oh yeah, good one! Please state your opinion on the state of the game and your personal opinion when it will be released.

How would you rate the level of writing when compared to the first game? Is the dialogue and data written in an eloquent and subtle way?
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel, only slightly more gold.

Originally Posted by nordoM
    Oh yeah, good one! Please state your opinion on the state of the game and your personal opinion when it will be released.
    I demand that you edit my typos!
    -A.W. Tozer

How many hobos are in the game?

Originally Posted by JCpie
    Saw one in the Gamescom demo. No Hobos in demo though.

Originally Posted by JCpie
    He can't possibly answer that question. Here, let me pose it a in a more reasonable fashion.

In your time playing a very small portion of an unfinished build, how many hobos did you kill?

Let's all remember that the final version will probably give us the opportunity to kill many many more hobos.
    -A.W. Tozer

How did you tackle the missions?
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Other questions so far will have to waint untill tomorrow, dont want to piss of EM.
    You can answer my questions as they only relate to the first level and are pretty general. Go ahead .

What about music played during the missions if it was at all? Is it context dependent? Does it sound like in the first game?
    P.S.: if you can't answer today due to embargo, answer the questions after it's lifted, please. So far I couldn't find any information regarding soundtrack. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dxb
    I demand that you edit my typos!
    Done.
    Though I only saw a single typo there.

So fire away
    • How are the augmentations divided amongst the four pillars that have been mentioned? Approximate number per pillar?
    • What are the augmentations that Adam starts out with?
    • Are there any consumables such as Thermoptic camo and Rebreathers?
    • Is Adam be able to find and use standard keys?
    • Is there any opening of lockers and crates or do you find all loot just laying there?
    • Does the level design feature frequent instances of conveniently placed waist-high walls?
    • How many different types of combat AI are there?
    • How many different states of alertness are there for AI guards?
    • Do guards still suffer from extreme forgetfulness?
    • Are vents still impenetrable sanctuaries for the sneaky player?
    • Are there any unskippable cutscenes?
    • Are PC players able to define their own hotkeys?
    • Is there locational damage for either Adam or the NPC's? Are there at least damage multipliers on body parts?
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by Michael Berry
    P.S.: if you can't answer today due to embargo, answer the questions after it's lifted, please. So far I couldn't find any information regarding soundtrack. Thanks.
    First mission I can answer. Among others it featured (a remix of) Unatco HQ. Cant be more Deus Ex than that. Music is great, no worries

What colour socks does Adam wear, and is there much drama in the choosing? I'm always in such a right state over things like this, and I'd like to see this reflected in my protagonist.
    signature image

Originally Posted by dxb
    He can't possibly answer that question. Here, let me pose it a in a more reasonable fashion.

In your time playing a very small portion of an unfinished build, how many hobos did you kill?

Let's all remember that the final version will probably give us the opportunity to kill many many more hobos.
    Yes, but how do we know there are many more hobos? How do we know he killed them? Are they even killable? Do we know if the hobo really was a hobo?

The hobo I saw today looked like a hobo, but what's to say he wasn't just cosplaying?

Well, in all honesty, isn't it just that much more rewarding if we get to kill cosplayers?
    -A.W. Tozer

Originally Posted by dxb
    Well, in all honesty, isn't it just that much more rewarding if we get to kill cosplayers?
    Then why isn't Angel-A dead yet?

The game's not out yet.

::EDIT::

This just got real mobid real fast.
    -A.W. Tozer

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last