Thread: (Officially) The Coolest Thing I've Ever Seen...

Thumbs Up (Officially) The Coolest Thing I've Ever Seen...

Meet WATSON.

Had a chance to actually watch tonight and it's really interesting how quickly WATSON can respond and how it calculates the responses.

Here's a bit of WATSON during a practice session with Ken Jennings (one of my heroes) and Brad Rutter.

EDIT: Found another interesting video about the mechanics of WATSON:

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

Jeopardy generally leaves a sour taste in my mouth (I think my dad watched it too much around me growing up and still watches it all the time), but that's awesome. Having a career path falling into the realm of computer science, I'm impressed.

I had the chance to see the Double Jeopardy round last night, this was absolutely AMAZING. The fact that the computer can understand inflection and emphasis on common speech for a game show like Jeopardy AND supply correct answers with split-second timing is just incredible.

I did find it funny how much was wagered during the Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy questions too. Also, it was interesting how the "U.S. Cities" question for Final Jeopardy resulted in Watson giving a city that was not in the US.

Terrific entertainment though. I will definitely be watching the finale tonight.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

I watch Jeopardy a lot. But that computer doesn't seem so special. The only thing interesting is that it can interpret language. But really, we use computers that do that already, not as good, but the same thing, take a look at a web search. Once you get the language thing settled, playing the game is WAY too simple for the computer. It can always buzz in faster than a human, especially if it's programmed to.
    Right now it allows for how certain it is. Ken Jennings already showed the technique of buzzing in even without knowing the answer and then thinking about it after you've buzzed in first works. That computer can certainly go through millions of items faster than a human might be able to respond to the question.
    My take, the language part is really nice although it sounds like a natural progression. But the rest of playing the game is very unsurprising to me. We already know computers can scan info faster than the fastest human.
    I think it would be a better game if the machine would hold back a bit just to give the illusion that those two guys have a chance. I was pretty surprised that the computer didn't get the final Jeopardy despite having plenty of time to respond. But as you saw, it didn't need to get that question right to win easy
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

Interesting project, but not all is as it appears. It's cool how the relevant information can be determined so quickly from the vast amount of data available to it. However, if I understand correctly, Watson is not listening to and understanding human speech. Watson is not aware of anything or anyone. Check out this video (after a word from the sponsors, of course lol).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41582125...ce-innovation/

Robotic voice - "Let's finish chicks dig me."

All we need is a comma in that sentence, and we're good to go.
    Saving is fun, kids! Save constantly.

Thumbs Up

Looks like WATSON proved victorious! Results article.

Overall, it was a very interesting project. Jennings and Rutter did pretty well, all things considered.
    ~ Voltaire

My boy Jennings was smoking tonight but it didn't help
    I was surprised tonight wasn't a repeat of last night, I figured the computer would shut the two guys out again.
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

Thumbs Up

I think it was good to see that WATSON could be wrong at times. Jennings did well by doing a true daily double early on and ringing in quick and answering after thinking about it for a bit. I really liked the subtext he used after his final Jeopardy answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jennings
    (I for one welcome our new computer overlords).
    ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Rachie View Post
    Robotic voice - "Let's finish chicks dig me."

All we need is a comma in that sentence, and we're good to go.

Alex and the audience will be smiling when that thing drops the WATSON facade and goes by its true identity: SKYNET!!

Edit: I can spell Skynet, darn it

Yeaaaahhh ;D xD But therefore @ The Hylden, are we programmers studying AI to prevent it or know how to disable it ! xD

Well, let's just hope you all learn faster than WATSON, here heh