Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lara's new look & body

Lara's new look & body

[Mod Edit: Merged 2 similar threads]

Originally posted by Alison Anderson:

Don't get me wrong! im not asking people to comments on her bosoms >.< i know there's alot to say

but upon seeing her pic's i noticed something had changed :O Lara is a much more attractive ,realistic, and not over sexed <33

allright stop beating the bush and less get back on track
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    First off what do you think of the new lara? (eg: sexy, cool, hot mess, Bad A**!1)
    And also what do you think her measurements, weight, and height will be? Do you like the: breast reduction/resized body?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    AA's Answer: I love how Lara isn't over sexed in this game it makes her much more attractive and most of all more real. i loved lara from back in the day but (gahhh) it gave her an unrealistic look and if she was real she would topple over air cause of her breasts. her body and face are more proportional to me.
    im a women so i think her measurements are probably
    32-34 bust c-cup?
    24 inch waist
    34-36 inch hip?
    5'9 height?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC I KNOW BREAST (and other ahhem) ARE A REALLLLY TEMPTING
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    almost forgot these are american measurements (i believe). don't worry, you DO NOT need to convert your sizes for people to understand. i will convert them for anyone that doesn't know

Originally posted by Lyle Croft:

How close does she look compared from legend-underworld facial features
    to TOMB RAIDER features.

heres the OLD VERSION

heres my new xna lara render which i prefer

(click image to enlarge)

VS

(click image to enlarge)

also what do you think of my xna render kinda (with editing) i tried to make the same facial expression in XNA LAra.

(click image to enlarge)

The new one is better simply because it's anatomiclly correct, giving the character a sense of reality, that this is now a genuine person and not a cartoon.
    signature image

Anatomically correct does not necessarily = better.

In the case of a videogame character known for her already disproportionate anatomy, it is far better to remain consistent, internally consistent, then forsake that consistency for realism.
    Qu'est-ce que

Actually, Underworld was pretty anatomically correct, not least because they based the Lara animation on the same kind of movement scanning techniques as the new one. They got a professional athlete to run through the moves to make them look more real. Alison Caroll, IIRC, who doesn't look all that different to Underworld Lara.

If you look at Lara in Underworld, she's lost the old exaggerated cartoon-like curves in favour of a more athletic look.

I think each new game has slowly moved Lara towards a more realistic look, and I can't say I mind that at all. Real women are beautiful too, you know

The thing is, Lara was always meant to be a real person. Just that her design was limited by the technology of the time. But you can see from her first render that it was still based on the basic outline of realistic anatomy (as well as an idealized female physique, from now outdated ideas). But the tech was not able to produce all the ploygons and textures needed to capture the finer details of a fully realstic human.

Consider how much she has evolved from the beginning, from TR1 to AOD, to Legend (where her breasts got just a slight reduction in size and more naturally rounded from the old "pyramids"), to Underworld.

This new character model is simply the next stage in the continuous progression we've already seen, now utilizing the capabilities of modern technology to its fullest potential. The artist have been able to create a render that has a more natural and organic feel of a real human being (closer to ho an artist ould draw a woman in traditional media) far more successfully than what was done before.

Lara isn't like some other games character's such as Mario, Leisure Suit Larry, Princess Peach, or Ratchet. There you can clearly see they were always designed as cartoons, so would never be held to the standards of realstic human proportions, like how we gaugue Nathan Drake, Sam Fisher, Nico Belic, or a host of other human characters.
    signature image

Sorry but I think both of the pics are terrible. The top one has quite bad render problems and the bottom one makes Lara look tomboyish.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    Anatomically correct does not necessarily = better.

In the case of a videogame character known for her already disproportionate anatomy, it is far better to remain consistent, internally consistent, then forsake that consistency for realism.
    I agree completely. To me if the realism movement keeps pushing soon it just won't feel like you are playing Lara anymore. Is like dumping Sonic in a vat of red dye. It wouldn't work. If CD can't make things work within the constraints of Lara then they should just make a new character instead.

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    This new character model is simply the next stage in the continuous progression we've already seen, now utilizing the capabilities of modern technology to its fullest potential. The artist have been able to create a render that has a more natural and organic feel of a real human being (closer to ho an artist ould draw a woman in traditional media) far more successfully than what was done before.
    Lara croft was intentionally created with an 'idealised' figure with a sort of embelished reality. Lara's shape has indeed evolved but always with the Lara image in mind. The new model is completely out in body from any of the other LC models and a break from the progression. As for this being 'far more successful' I don't think so, more like evolutionary miss-step.

I think Lara can have a top heavy body shape AND be realistic as a woman. Some girls do have large breasts. I think Alison Caroll represents very well what Lara would look like if Lara were real. I am not saying that Lara's breasts have to be really massive, just big enough to make her busty. Without that it is not really Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    Sorry but I think both of the pics are terrible. The top one has quite bad render problems and the bottom one makes Lara look tomboyish.

I agree completely. To me if the realism movement keeps pushing soon it just won't feel like you are playing Lara anymore. Is like dumping Sonic in a vat of red dye. It wouldn't work. If CD can't make things work within the constraints of Lara then they should just make a new character instead.

Lara croft was intentionally created with an 'idealised' figure with a sort of embelished reality. Lara's shape has indeed evolved but always with the Lara image in mind. The new model is completely out in body from any of the other LC models and a break from the progression. As for this being 'far more successful' I don't think so, more like evolutionary miss-step.

I think Lara can have a top heavy body shape AND be realistic as a woman. Some girls do have large breasts. I think Alison Caroll represents very well what Lara would look like if Lara were real. I am not saying that Lara's breasts have to be really massive, just big enough to make her busty. Without that it is not really Lara.
    the top one is supposed to have bad "render problems" in GIMP i put bump mapping in lighting settings xD

(click image to enlarge)

I really like the reduction in breast size at least. I am a man and I hate huge breasts on tiny women, I think this direction is very good to go with. Lara is getting more and more real and I couldn't be happier. I just hope they make sure not to lose sight of the Lara essence which I'm afraid might be happening. But I'll be excited to play this game.
    "Cheese is nice. Practically perfect in every way." And no, I DIDN'T STEAL THAT FROM MARY POPPINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese is nice. View Post
    I just hope they make sure not to lose sight of the Lara essence which I'm afraid might be happening. But I'll be excited to play this game.
    It being a reboot, this may be exactly what is happening.
    Qu'est-ce que

Losing the essense of Lara is exactly what is happening. As much as realism is a good, sacrificing the contunity is really really bad. I could never really have much respect for a Lara that dosn't have at least something of a lara shape.

I think you guys are right, in a sense that is. I'm all for making her look a little more real, but she needs to remain somewhat reminescent of Lara. Plus I really DO NOT want to see her going all mushy. No siree.
    "Cheese is nice. Practically perfect in every way." And no, I DIDN'T STEAL THAT FROM MARY POPPINS!

I agree.

This is Lara.

Ruthless. Will let nothing and nobody get in her way.
    Qu'est-ce que

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    I agree.

This is Lara.

Ruthless. Will let nothing and nobody get in her way.
    You don't get a sense of that from the baner image? I mean that is an expression of pure determination right there. Her eyes are practically daring any man or god to even try and stand in her way.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    You don't get a sense of that from the baner image? I mean that is an expression of pure determination right there. Her eyes are practically daring any man or god to even try and stand in her way.
    I second that!!!
    signature image

Yeah, not so much.

Not getting that vibe.

Was really disappointed in Anniversary when Lara suddenly had pangs of regret over shooting someone.

Not interested in exploring the depth of Lara's character. You should really be looking beyond a video-game character if that's the kind of interaction you need.

All that being said, game-informer cover is good, but she's got a bit of a "deer caught in headlights" blank expression. Would appreciate up-front, aggressive Lara - more in keeping with her being murdering thief - more.
    Qu'est-ce que

The thing is, Lara was only ever a Murdering Thief in the actual game. The story did not show her like that. If this was the case then Lara should have always been on the run from the po po, not just in AOD (Something I never understood).

The expression on her face seems like nothing to me, simply because there is nothing to express, it seems numb, cold, she didn't come here to kill and try to survive, however she has to, and she will.

I think this willingness to survive will reflect in how she approaches treasure hunting, she is not willing to loose the treasure just as she is not willing to loose her life.

It would be hilarious to watch a cocky Lara totting guns and provoking enemies and then have her be killed, it would be an awkward embarrassment. Whereas now we have someone who keeps to herself the skill she has learned. She knows what she wants and she will stop at nothing, it's not something she needs to tell you. I think she fights with intelligence now.

My three complaints with Lara's new look are as follows.
    1. I think she is waaaaay too banged up FOR THE COVER!!! I have no problem with her looking like this in game, but you have to clean up for pictures, dontcha know.
    2. Her hair bothers me. She's got some phsyco layers and they make her look like a lion. That ain't cute. Sorry. I'm a hairdresser.
    3. To me, the cover on the magazine does not say "determination". It looks dead and expressionless. They tried to make her look like a model that was put through a blender before the shoot. She just looks blank. All I see is a cut up face of some girl who happens to be Lara. No determination at all.

My honest first thought was that she looks like a MALE Manga character in that cover shot

BUT - the important point - this is all just art, really. As yet, we have absolutely no idea what she will look like in game.

3. To me, the cover on the magazine does not say "determination". It looks dead and expressionless. They tried to make her look like a model that was put through a blender before the shoot. She just looks blank. All I see is a cut up face of some girl who happens to be Lara. No determination at all.
    Or another way to look at it is being the longer she's there the closer she is to insanity and possibly suicide if things generally are that bad. I'm going to be annoyed greatly if the game comes out and she doesn't change throughout the game... if she has the same emotional sanity as she does before going to the island then I'm sorry I probably won't even bother with it.

People might say that's sad, I call it being a writer. I don't play a game to look at virtual characters cause the fact is they never look 'sexy' and I play it to see the atmosphere and story. And it all comes under plot holes. Like I just hope to God (even though I don't believe) that she isn't going to come across the 'first' creature and automatically kill the damn thing the same way she does come the end of the game.

Right, enough of me.

1. I think she is waaaaay too banged up FOR THE COVER!!! I have no problem with her looking like this in game, but you have to clean up for pictures, dontcha know.
    2. Her hair bothers me. She's got some phsyco layers and they make her look like a lion. That ain't cute. Sorry. I'm a hairdresser.
    Agree completely with all of that. Clear they went for shock factor over capturing LC. Whoever came up with awful hairstyle? Just making her look a wreck for the sake of it. Would hate seeing pictures of battered model or celebrities on the front of a newspaper and kind of get that same cringe feeling seeing the banner. Add the MAJOR body shape problems with Lara and it ain't at all great thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    My honest first thought was that she looks like a MALE Manga character in that cover shot
    Similar to my first thought too. She is one of the first and biggest female icons of gaming so to have her looking so masculine is terrible. Any picture where you could initially mistake LC for a boy is no good. To me it is just so out of tune with Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
    Agree completely with all of that. Clear they went for shock factor over capturing LC. Whoever came up with awful hairstyle? Just making her look a wreck for the sake of it. Would hate seeing pictures of battered model or celebrities on the front of a newspaper and kind of get that same cringe feeling seeing this. Add the MAJOR body shape problems with Lara and it ain't at all great thus far.
    So they gave her that wrecked appearance just for the hell of it? The context of the story wouldn't have any bearing what so ever in the state of her appearance? Really?

As for the whole body remark, do people really want an image based on outdated technology that reflects unrealistic standards? That's the kind of thinking that will hold the series back and have it left behind in the wake of other games with better human representations. Standards have changed since 1996, and the series must keep up with it to survive.

Similar to my first thought too. She is one of the first and biggest female icons of gaming so to have her looking so masculine is terrible. Any picture where you could initially mistake LC for a boy is no good. To me it is just so out of tune with Lara.
    While the degree of her attractiveness can be considered subjective (and most of which I disagree with when some have called her "ugly"), to actully say this looks masculine is just a massive facepalm. I have never seen a man with eyes, and especially not lips like that. That is a very feminine face, just the tone of it reflects the horrers of her ordeal. A lot of people here seem to be confusing expression and tone with actual facial features.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Manga characters and Justin Bieber are SOOOO far from my parameters for a manly figure. What's up with you guys? If a girl washes off all her makeup and gets hurt and dirty she automatically becomes a man?
    signature image

oh exciting hairdresser and yeah i've been studying the render of lara on the game informer magazine and yeah it really has NO expression she just looking at a camera with that facial expression they could have done something like this

same exact pose with one of those monster heads(ps im talking about copying the pose with her hair down in a render) and they could have put lara on a cliff at night with her hair in the air, lightening, and waves crashing on a wave. Yeah it looks good in my head but people won't understand what i mean ill have to show them using a 3d program(which are a pain to me )

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by QiX View Post
    Manga characters and Justin Bieber are SOOOO far from my parameters for a manly figure. What's up with you guys? If a girl washes off all her makeup and gets hurt and dirty she automatically becomes a man?
    Actually, my main point was that so many male Manga characters look like girls.

As I've already noted, we have yet to see any in-game footage at all, so we don't really know what she's going to look like in game.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm not sure this was entirely my point. While it's true that most Manga male characters do strongly resemble woman, Lara's jawline is a bit heavy for a woman in that picture...

Remember though, the cover isn't what she'll look like in-game. The cover was the work of 3 studios, specifically for marketing. If you look at the screenshots in-game she looks nothing like the Game Informer cover

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast