Thread: The Official Conversation Thread

The Official Conversation Thread

Originally Posted by butterskenny
    On that note wasn't Two-Face originally meant to be in Batman Returns? Shame they took him out..
    Well, what they were going to do was put him in Batman Forever.. but then WB decided to give the movie to Shumacher, do to returns being too Sexual, Dark and Gritty. Therefore kids couldnt go watch it.
    So essentially, we were deprived of possibly one of the best Batman movies ever, because WB wanted more money.

BTW, Harvey (from the 89 film) was going to be Twoface, while Robin Williams would have been the Riddler.
    Also, Marlon Wayans was going to be Robin..
    Yes, I'm serious.

Originally Posted by mwkcope
    When you finally photoshop Michael Sheen as The Joker,you will be.
    You're a persistant bunch aren't you? :P

Meh

Originally Posted by JackWinz
    Well, what they were going to do was put him in Batman Forever.. but then WB decided to give the movie to Shumacher, do to returns being too Sexual, Dark and Gritty. Therefore kids couldnt go watch it.
    So essentially, we were deprived of possibly one of the best Batman movies ever, because WB wanted more money.

BTW, Harvey (from the 89 film) was going to be Twoface, while Robin Williams would have been the Riddler.
    Also, Marlon Wayans was going to be Robin..
    Yes, I'm serious.

]

That would have proven...interesting.

That would have proven...interesting.
    Without a doubt.

You're a persistant bunch aren't you? :P

Meh
    OMFGWTFBBQ BEST EDIT EVAR!!!

No, in all seriousness, that IS really impressive editing.

And Billy Dee Williams getting to be Two-Face would have been cool.

I don't know how credible it is, but I'm not outright dismissing it; I vaguely remember a conversation I had with a friend from high school about a leaked script for what was originally meant to be the sequel to Batman Returns, with Burton and Keaton still on board. He mentioned that early on in

I doubt it will ever be done, especially with the Nolan buzz (not that I mind it any), but damn would it have been a lot better than eventually getting Batman & Robin.

In an early draft of the script (Returns) Max Shreck was infact Harvey Dent, so instead of him dying a bastardized buisness man, he would instead have been scarred (By Catwoman's tazer) a currupt politition.

Would have made plenty sense if you ask me.

In an early draft of the script (Returns) Max Shreck was infact Harvey Dent, so instead of him dying a bastardized buisness man, he would instead have been scarred (By Catwoman's tazer) a currupt politition.

As interesting as that sounds, I don't like the idea of Harvey (presumably) being corrupt prior to his scarring. It really upsets the whole idea of Two-Face, because the whole point of the tragedy behind his character was that one of the last good men in Gotham had become one of the worst of the worst in one fell swoop. Having suppressed mental issues that slowly emerge and come to a head during his scarring makes more sense and is still sympathetic to his character. These aforementioned reasons are also why Two-Face is one of my all-time favorite Batman villains.

Still, as fun as it is to speculate, all we can do is wonder what the Burton films could have continued off into had the studio not nixed him after Batman Returns. Whatever could have been, I'm just glad that we eventually got Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

For what it's worth, Joel Schumacher was not a bad director to pick to direct a Batman film. He directed films prior that proved he had the dark taste required to portray the gritty universe right, like in The Lost Boys and Falling Down. He was merely an unfortunate victim of being strangled by the film studios, similarly to Raimi and Spider-Man 3. He also wanted to do a faithful adaptation of Batman: Year One; that alone wins him my eternal respect.

Schumacher made some big mistakes and got some seriously shoddy treatment from the studio but he did create the truest interpretation of the character pre-Nolan, which is Batman from Batman Forever. Hes not uber grimdark, hes not cheesy camp, hes stern and totally anti-murder (er, until the end at least).

Forever gets ragged on a lot and a lot of it is deserved but I think it doesnèt get credit for the things it deserves credit for. It was the first one to put a lot of focus on Bruce Wayne, for one thing, and for another it updated Bruce and Dick's relationship. I mean, Dick Grayson being a pissed off motorcycle enthusiast who swears to kill Two-Face and actually hits Batman is a far cry from the Adam West days.

And while theres no excusing the neon Tommy Guns and street gangs, all of the neon signage and lighting in Gotham contrasts nicely to the rotton nature of the city. Its like a craptastic version of Vegas, all sleeze and no soul. Its got lights but they're the kind that cast spooky shadows and shade everything red or green. It was a very interesting interpretation of Gotham that they went overboard with in B&R. If only the rest of the movie wasn't so campy, I think the bright colourful Gotham thrown in hard contrast with horrifying crimes would have made it one of modern cinema's more memorable settings.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Recently, I had a fellow bat-fan watch Forver with me.. by the end of the movie, my vocal cords were strained due to the massive amounts of screaming and or luaghing because of all wrong with the movie, in terms of Batman-ish-ness.

It's not ALL bad though.. I still hate it.

I have a love-hate feeling for Batman Forever (not much unlike All-Star Batman & Robin, really, though I more dislike Forever than like ASBAR). There are things about it I appreciate and things about it I loathe and you guys pretty much nailed it already.

On a more superficial level it always bugged me that to this day outside of the animated films to an extent no Batman film has ever made a serious effort to properly portray his combat capabilities. I know it's not a big deal and that the story and characterization are way more important but his being a world-class martial artist going against barroom brawling thugs is something that always stood out to me. Only Batman: Arkham Asylum has done this right so far but Batman Forever was the first movie to make a somewhat serious effort at this.

Also I will say that something that really depresses me about Schumacher's films is that in the case of Two-Face and Mr. Freeze, he picked great actors to play them, maybe the best ever. Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor and if he wasn't being suffocated by a bad script and whatnot he would've made an excellent Two-Face. And who better to play Mr. Freeze than the freaking Terminator? A stoic, emotionless robot is exactly what he always sounded like post-transformation. But of course, we all know how that turned out...

I have heard a lot though about things that were originally meant to be in the film but taken out at the last minute because they were too dark. Schumacher also said he would have liked to have released his own edit on DVD during the 2000's so that fans could enjoy this darker cut. I would really have liked that and it makes me sadly wonder if this was a better film disguised as a crappy film suffering from family friendly pressure from studios.

All in all, I would say Batman Forever is the best bad Batman movie, if that makes any sense.

He would have been scarred by a tazer ? Im not sure how that would have turned out, but i would have loved to seen it happen

And to DarkKnightReturns i would have to agree that the Forever was the "best bad batman movie" even though there was only like...3

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    I have a love-hate feeling for Batman Forever (not much unlike All-Star Batman & Robin, really, though I more dislike Forever than like ASBAR). There are things about it I appreciate and things about it I loathe and you guys pretty much nailed it already.

On a more superficial level it always bugged me that to this day outside of the animated films to an extent no Batman film has ever made a serious effort to properly portray his combat capabilities. I know it's not a big deal and that the story and characterization are way more important but his being a world-class martial artist going against barroom brawling thugs is something that always stood out to me. Only Batman: Arkham Asylum has done this right so far but Batman Forever was the first movie to make a somewhat serious effort at this.

Also I will say that something that really depresses me about Schumacher's films is that in the case of Two-Face and Mr. Freeze, he picked great actors to play them, maybe the best ever. Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor and if he wasn't being suffocated by a bad script and whatnot he would've made an excellent Two-Face. And who better to play Mr. Freeze than the freaking Terminator? A stoic, emotionless robot is exactly what he always sounded like post-transformation. But of course, we all know how that turned out...

I have heard a lot though about things that were originally meant to be in the film but taken out at the last minute because they were too dark. Schumacher also said he would have liked to have released his own edit on DVD during the 2000's so that fans could enjoy this darker cut. I would really have liked that and it makes me sadly wonder if this was a better film disguised as a crappy film suffering from family friendly pressure from studios.

All in all, I would say Batman Forever is the best bad Batman movie, if that makes any sense.
    I agree completely.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Small preveiw for what I'm working on now..

Wow!!!

God, I can't get enough of your editing. >_<

Now that looks awesome Jack

Do you guys relize how likely it is we're going to get a The Dark Knight Rises game by Rocksteady?
    Think about it.
    Nolan has confirmed an Inception game.
    He says he's almost positive there will be a Batman 3 game.
    Who do you think WB's go-to guys for Batman games it right now?
    Rocksteady of course. Who else!? Even if it's not as complex and thoughtout as AC, even if it just used the same, cookiecutter engine and new character models, it woul still rock.

What do you think?

About the combat clip.

I know I might be quietly picked up by Rocksteady's men in black, thrown in their van, and never seen again for saying this.. but I think it's like concept art, but for Co-op gameplay.
    Kinda a half joke, but I think that's what it is.

Do you guys relize how likely it is we're going to get a The Dark Knight Rises game by Rocksteady?
    Think about it.
    Nolan has confirmed an Inception game.
    He says he's almost positive there will be a Batman 3 game.
    Who do you think WB's go-to guys for Batman games it right now?
    Rocksteady of course. Who else!? Even if it's not as complex and thoughtout as AC, even if it just used the same, cookiecutter engine and new character models, it woul still rock.

What do you think?
    Call it wishful thinking, but I hope that if Rocksteady does do a game for Nolan's 3rd they make like Matrix: Path Of Neo and encompass all three movies. I was beyond sad that the freeroaming game based on The Dark Knight was canceled. On which note that would be a perfect opportunity to finally try freeroaming in their games.

But I'll just stick with Arkham City before I do any daydreaming about Nolan-Batman games.

On another note: last night I was up late working on homework and talking to someone on YIM. My last words to them before I passed out (I must've been half-asleep because I don't remember saying it) is "I would love to talk to you more if I wasn't so stuck in the Batcave". [/facepalm] Batman is invading every corner of my life.

About the combat clip.

I know I might be quietly picked up by Rocksteady's men in black, thrown in their van, and never seen again for saying this.. but I think it's like concept art, but for Co-op gameplay.
    what combat clip ?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it

About the combat clip.

I'm going to say that's spot on as almost all the videos of it on youtube were blocked and the animations were way to slick...plus I thought I saw a topic about it in the forum a few minutes ago but it was a deadlink...hitting back the topic wasn't there anymore so I assume they deleted a topic about the video...like anyone with something to hide they panic and try to take away as much information about it as possible.

Also to anyone who forgot...the only reason any of us know about Batman is thanks to the playboy mansion and the 40s serials...you know as told in the special features for the Batman Gotham Knight DVD...so you even though the 40s serials were full of period racism and other negative things it gave rise to the 60s show which gave power to probably the first batman thing you've seen...unless your over 68/had a copy of a Batman comic that old [/notaggresivepost]
    Take a third option...

I think if there is a game for Rises, then Rocksteady wont be the ones doing it. I think this just because they have been getting a great name for themselves with Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. I just feel like WB will try and get another sequel out of them to work on after AC is out, since its basically a guaranteed money train.

And if another Developer makes a Rises game then that would be cool too, even if it sucks a little...we still have BA games from Rocksteady. More Batman games is never a problem for me personally
    Haikus are easy. But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator.

So yeah.. Soul Calibur 4 is pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by mrk1976
    Now that the NGP (PSP2) has been officially announced, is there a chance that WB Games will bring over both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City to the platform? I think both games would be awesome in portable form!
    Discuss.

I think it's very possible for Arkham City.
    But not for Arkham Asylum.

I hope they end up putting Arkham City or some type of good Batman game on the PSP.
    Whatever happened to the American dream? It came true, you're looking at it .

I just read into Grant Morrison's run after trying to avoid it....and I don't like it one bit..

I just read into Grant Morrison's run after trying to avoid it....and I don't like it one bit..
    What was wrong with it?

Page 2 of 257 First First 1234561252102 ... Last