Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Thread: How old are you, taffers?

How old are you, taffers?

Exclamation How old are you, taffers?

Not sure if there's a thread about this subject in this forum yet... If there is, forgive me :P

Anyway, it would be kind of interesting to know the age of you taffers Especially now, when the mixture between old fans and new fans is getting more and more common with this new upcoming Thief 4-release. The people in the original fan circle, I guess, should be a bit older since the first title was introduced back in -98. That's the interesting part, because in my mind, that fact makes the Thief-series a bit of a "veteran" type of game (at least the two first titles).

In addition, it would be interesting to know what year you first played any of the Thief games, and which of the games in the series that was.

So please answer these three questions:

1. Age
    2. First time playing Thief
    3. Title of that Thief-game (TDP, TMA, TDS)

My answers:

1. 28
    2. 1998
    3. TDP

I am 50 and got my first taste of TDP when it came with the Sound Blaster Live sound card I bought back in 99 or 2000, showcasing its use of EAX.

Old guys like me were/are part of the "DOOM generation" and can appreciate the advances in technology since those first primitive (but no less amazing) games.

1. 21
    2. -98 or -99
    3. TDP
    Sings we a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Originally Posted by AbysmalGale
    1. 28
    2. 1998
    3. TDP
    You iz I!

1) 21
    2) I think I was 12 or 13
    3) Thief: The Dark Project (man, it's too epic to cram it in 3 letters :P )
    Crippled God, finally!

1. 26
    2. 1999, I think.
    3. TDP

1. 27
    2. 1999
    3. TDP
    dаmn lowercase filter

1. 18
    2. 2004
    3. T:ds
    ^This is a part of the core design and a fundamental of Thief!

2. 2000 was my first encounter with thief, watching over my step-brothers shoulder. Bought it for myself in 2002.
    3. TDP
    "If you can't stay in the shadows, get the taff out of my city!", Hypevosa

1. 22 (on friday )
    2. 1999
    3. Thief Gold - I actually at one point carried it around in my back pocket when going to school and would play on the computers there during break XD
    signature image
    signature image

1. 17
    2. I was around 8 or 9. I didn't understand much about the game back then, I just shot people with arrows.
    3. TMA
    Sneaksie...

Originally Posted by Yohaun
    2. I was around 8 or 9. I didn't understand much about the game back then, I just shot people with arrows.
    I did this until the bone hoard when I cycled the difficulties and saw all the extras for playing on expert. I then started playing on expert for the whole game. I don't think I ever actually finished it until a few years ago - I didn't have the patience for it back then, especially with all the other games I loved coming out like spyros and crash bandicoots and ratchet and clanks and kingdom hearts and.... good times.
    signature image
    signature image

1. 23, still playing thief
    2. 1998, I was 10 when I first played
    3. TDP demo, stacking crates to get into forbidden places and not understanding what moss arrows were for.

It says on my Mini stats that i'm 15, but i'm actually 16.

2.2004 when I first got my Xbox
    3.Thief DS (Saw it at Blockbuster and it looked far better than the Snowboarding and Skateboarding games that seemed to monopolize the game shelf. For the five days I rented it, I only got to the part where you're in the Pagan caverns because I got so lost I was walking in circles for hours. The maps in that game were awful, and I knew that from the first time I looked at one.)

Soon after I rediscovered the game in the discount area at Blockbuster a year or two later, I realized there were previous installments, and then, my life was complete. (but let's not talk about the year it took me to figure out how to make them run)
    Calls The Serpents To The Heels Of My Foes! Calls The Ravens To Pecks Their Eyes!
    Calls The Jackals, Carry Thems Away. Their Children To Gnaw Bones In The Night!

1. Age:40
    2. Thief in 2001
    3. Thief TDP

1. 35
    2. 2004
    3. Tds

Devs, better take a look here......Thief fans so far are showing older players on average.

I'd say that's a duh - isn't joe schmo gamer supposed to be late 20's and male now?
    signature image
    signature image

1. 15
    2. 2005(?)
    3. Thief: The Dark Project Demo

Been in love ever since!

You played Thief TDP when you were 9.....wow!

Hehe, I had a niece who had a week of difficulty sleeping after watching me play the Craddle in TDS.....she was really creeped out by the Puppets.

.....probably didn't help that I told her that I gave the Puppets instructions to her house..........

1) 13
    2) 2010
    3) Deadly Shadows

Originally Posted by jtr7
    It's funny how similar the stories are from kids aged 4-11 who played TDP. They got to Cragscleft and were scared to death, and waited until they grew some more to try the game again. Even though it was too intense at first, it still beckoned to them from their formative memory of what portion they experienced--hooked...from just one or two missions.
    ^Yep, that's true for me

1. 22
    2. 1998
    3. TDP (Saw my dad playing it so I tried it out myself, got so scared by Cragscleft and watched my dad play it 'til the end only got to finish the game when I was a few years older haha)

I loved Thief so much the first time I played it that when I was 10, I wanted to make games when I grew up. 12 years later, here I am, making games Thank you, Thief for being such an awesome game!

1. 27
    2. 1998
    3. TDP demo

I remember telling my friends at school about my heart pounding after finishing Bafford's in the demo and being made fun of :P

...until they played it for themselves of course

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last