Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Thread: DXHR: MULTI LANGUAGE & SUB-TITLES - All Discussion / Q&As - See 1st page for updates

DXHR: MULTI LANGUAGE & SUB-TITLES - All Discussion / Q&As - See 1st page for updates

DXHR: MULTI LANGUAGE & SUB-TITLES - All Discussion / Q&As - See 1st page for updates

The obligatory question; I couldn´t find an answer here yet: As a German, will my game, which I ordered in Germany, also contain the english version or just the german synchronized one?

_____

*Moderator Update*

Summary of Fans Q&As:

Q: What about (future) Downloadable Content for the PS3? Will DLC from the German PS Store be compatible with the UK version? Otherwise I might have to cancel my order and get the US Version instead? I'm not too keen on juggling 3 PSN accounts...
    A: Hmm i believe everything released in europe is covered by the european store, regardless of language. PSN only has US and EU store (well and JP but thats another story altogether).
    Q: Bought from a little shop over here in germany....its EU-Version (not UK). So i guess i have to cancel the order since the XBOX seems to have only one language on the disc. So there can´t be an EU-Version i guess?
    A: All the packaging is only done in the language of the game (so if french box, french game). if you bought the game in a german shop they will have german stock and its in german.
    Q: I ordered the so called EU-Version of this game here in Germany (for XBOX360).
    Can anyone confirm that the EU-Version ist Multi-Language FIGS? I heard that the XBOX360 Version has only one language on Board. Is that only for the english version?

A: EU is FIGS, UK is English only. These are the only two versions of the game in Europe on consoles.
    Subtitles for the deaf

Q: We only know that the game supports different languages, but as it looks like, we CAN'T mix them. Changing the language on steam usually changes the WHOLE game to that language, no mix and matching?

A: You get single language/single subtitles.. no mixing of your own choosing..
    Polish will get english subtitles (as there is no polish voices)
    Japanese has got a choice of english or japanese text i believe..
    However theres no German voice, english text option etc. as far as i am aware

On PC - You simply change the base language within the steam client itself. Right click on the game and select Properties, then go to the language tab and change your language, It will download the necessary files to change the game to that language for you.
    Originally Posted by Ashren
    I've been to the truck tour in Hamburg/Germany and the guys there said:"Nope, only one language per disc for consoles"
    However PC folks can download the respective files to change the language.

P.S.: I preordered the English version.
    However, both (ger and eng) were playable in the truck and I was surprised by the quality of the German dubbed one.

Originally Posted by Poiro
    Hi everyone !
    I warmly recommand you all join the Eidos Montreal's official french Blog here :
    http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/index.p...age=2#comments
    We started here a very pleasant conversation with Jean François DUGAS about downloading the original voices of the game through Xbox Live for 360 versions of the game.
    JF seems to agree with our request and declared he will investigate this option as he will come from holidays.
    Sorry for my poor english and see you soon on the Eidos Montreal french Blog ;-)
    Originally Posted by Fox89
    With the console versions it is my understanding that they should feature all 5 main European languages in Europe (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German). This is NOT officially from Eidos, Square-Enix, Sony or Microsoft! However, all games that are released on consoles have to pass certain compliance checks from Sony and Microsoft. The two companies require different things but it is my understanding all games in Europe must feature these 5 languages. The game should detect the language setting of your Xbox/PS3 and adjust the game language accordingly.

I have no idea whether you would be able to have English voices and German subs though. From my limited experience I would suggest this is unlikely. The good news is you should (again, check elsewhere before taking my word on this), be able to change your console language to English if you prefer it overall in that language. I don't think you're going to be able to get the best of both worlds though I'm afraid.
    Hackbarth received an answer from Eidos Montreal:

Hi ......., thanks a lot for your interest in our game!
    As you rightly guessed, there is indeed a limitation due to space on the Xbox 360, which explains why it will only have German on the disc.
    As for the Playstation 3, it does have several languages indeed, but if I'm correct it does not have English though. For the PC version it has the same disc space limitation as the Xbox 360, but we have been discussing allowing language packs to be downloadable from Steam. It's unfortunately not something I can 100% confirm at this stage, sorry - though it is extremely likely to happen I would say.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but rest assured that we have spent a lot of time and efforts on the localized versions as well, to be able to offer an experience on par with the English version.

We hope the quality of the game and of the localized version will convince you to buy the game anyway...

Sebastien

Sébastien Bisch
    Marketing | Eidos-Montreal | Square Enix
    www.eidosmontreal.com
    www.twitter.com/eidosmontreal

I hope they will always give the option to install the game fully english. I am annoyed to tears with the bad translations I find in games that were originally in english, but I had to install in my native languiage. It sometimes looks as if they ran their game through something more basic then google translate, and forgot to check on grammar and whether the given translation feels appropriate to the piont where it is used in-game.

Since Germans secifically have a tendency to synchronize movies and games into German, I have very little hope for you. I think we'll just have to wait and see.
    "What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?" -Preacher

I heard that they will include the optional english voices into it... I'm not sure, though. Anyway, we'll see.
    Most of russian translations of the games are done with good (not perfect, though) quality, but the re-synchronization completely changes the atmosphere. So I wanna english version...
    He never asked for lemon-lime...

I´m also german, and i like the few pics of the german translation we were able to hear.
    But I want to have both versions in the game. We know they translate it in german, so it can´t be expensive,
    putting the german and english version inside. I like to hear the original while playing.
    That´s a very comfortable way of training my english.
    An optimist believes to live in best of all worlds.
    A pessimist fears, the optimist could be right.

Translations are often poor, and even when they are not you are likely to miss important details. They should include English in all localized versions, no question.

Any proper prose written in English being translated to any other language on the planet is going to be bastardized to some degree or another, because English is the best language for creative writing, due to the ridiculously vast number of synonyms and redundancies in the language. It allows for more flowery and elegant writing than any other language.

That said, I don't in any way think that everybody should learn English to play Deus Ex. However, it would suck if the English option weren't available for people in other countries, should they already know the language.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Localized versions should retain original audio and text as an option. Unfortunately, they sometimes do not. I often find myself either waiting or spending more (usually both) because of my preference for the original version.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    [...] English is the best language for creative writing [...]
    That's a pretty bold statement. Preposterously so.
    "The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."

Hello everyone.
    I'm also German, and I believe the best way of doing this is to install the entire game in English. You can choose that option while running the Install Wizard. That's possible with every modern game these days, it worked with Mass Effect 1 and 2, and should you have any problems with the speech, English subtitles are very helpful for non Native-Speakers as well. I always do it that way, and it works pretty fine for me.

And about English being the best language for creative writing, well... I guess it's a matter of taste, but it's certainly not true that it has the most synonyms or allows the most elegant writing. Most French I know will contradict you, as will many Germans, although English is a very popular language over here. I get your point about translations, though, but any translation is different from the original and can sometimes even be considered worse, quality-wise, not only translations of English prose. Try translating Kafka into English and you'll see what I mean.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/JohnnyLing.shtml

"The statistics of English are astonishing. Of all the world's languages (which now number some 2,700), it is arguably the richest in vocabulary. The compendious Oxford English Dictionary lists about 500,000 words; and a further half-million technical and scientific terms remain uncatalogued. According to traditional estimates, neighboring German has a vocabulary of about 185,000 and French fewer than 100,000, including such Franglais as le snacque-barre and le hit-parade."

That's because other languages have an actual structure to them. Dictionaries do not list several dozen variations of one word that can be achieved with various suffixes and prefixes, not to mention the changes in role they can play using inflections. In English, you end up with a new word. If anything, that shows how poor English is as a language.

E.g. In English "live" and "life" are two separate words to distinguish between verb form and noun forms of the same root. They are listed as two different words. In most civilized languages, this differentiation is achieved with a suffix change.

Which just gives anecdotal evidence that the chaps at Oxford English Dictionary are thorough while the guys doing the guessing on the number of German and French words might be full of hot air. It also fails to mention the languages and dialects of more than 190 officially recognized countries and an stupendous amount of protectorates, colonies, constituent countries and other territories. Not only that, but quantity is no measure of quality.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Maybe but I share the opinion that the English language in many cases offers more ways to express thoughts (in a more precise way) then the German language, for example.

Originally Posted by -=fox=-
    Maybe but I share the opinion that the English language in many cases offers more ways to express thoughts (in a more precise way) then the German language, for example.
    My guess is that this becomes a problem for you more often when dealing with things concerning modern technology, right?
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

No, I mean generally. It becomes apparent when you use an English dictionary and find 10+ possible translations for a German word while there are only 2 or 3 other German words with a similar meaning.

No, I mean generally. It becomes apparent when you use an English dictionary and find 10+ possible translations for a German word while there are only 2 or 3 other German words with a similar meaning.
    Never had that problem in Dutch. Usually I know exactly what I want to say, but can't find the correct English word for it. Unless it concerns modern technology. Then it's much easier to find the words in English since we haven't even bothered to translate a lot of words and the international standard for technology and science is English.

I don't know zip about German, but I can put more different meanings into a word of Russian than I can for all of its synonyms in English. I can say the same thing about Latin, and I'm pretty sure it would apply to the derived languages to some extent or the other.

Originally Posted by Regenschirm
    Hello everyone.
    I'm also German, and I believe the best way of doing this is to install the entire game in English. You can choose that option while running the Install Wizard. That's possible with every modern game these days, it worked with Mass Effect 1 and 2, and should you have any problems with the speech, English subtitles are very helpful for non Native-Speakers as well. I always do it that way, and it works pretty fine for me.

[...]
    SOme games indeed have that option in the installation wizard. I did come across some other stories thpough. NFS Shift does not allow you to chose your language in the installation wizard, but when you start up the game, it lets you chose between the available languages. I can play it in english now, and next tme I start it, I can play it in Suomi if I feel like doing so.

Though some modern games do not offer the choice at all. Again, I take a Need for Speed for example: Undercover. I could not change the language in the installation wizard, nor could I change it in-game. I was practically forced to annoy myself every signle time I started it up, with the very lacking translations.
    It was hilarious at first, just how bad it was. But it does get annoying after a while...
    "What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?" -Preacher

Yeah, I had my system set to Japanese for a while so that I can run some software that's region-locked, and I still have a few programs that I installed during that time that give me popups in Japanese. I usually take "challenge accepted" route, but I can see how it'd get annoying in a game.

This is actually my greatest fear for DE, that I won't be able to choose which language I install.
    Says a lot about me, don't it.
    If the DXHR forums was a real place... then the Dance party would never end

Has it been answered yet? I still can´t find any information about it.

amazon.de states the languages for the standard version as german/english and for the limited edition as german/german/german, which is kinda weird

That´s exactly the kind of thing I am worrying about. I once bought Jade Empire Collectors Edition and it had only German whereas the normal edition had had German/English...

So I would really appreciate some hard facts on this issue.

That's the price we have to pay for getting all the content that sold overseas are missing. It'll be called the "Babel"-Edition but fear not as the original voice track will be offered in the form of the "Sibylline Oracles"-DLC for the small price of 15€.

Speech in english and german subtitle?

Is it posible to play the game with the original english language and german subtitles?

Originally Posted by blubb
    Is it posible to play the game with the original english language and german subtitles?
    this is a good question, games should do this more often. I don't need subtitles myself but I would appreciate dutch subtitles so my little brother can understand the story as well when he watches with me.

Hello and sorry for necroing an old topic.

But since we are so close to the release date, maybe someone can answer us if the European verision will include english voice/text.

I live in France and I am about to preorder the PC Collector Edition, but I need to be sure if the text and voice are (or can be) in English. Or else I will have to buy it from UK, and that will be more expensive

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last