Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Just Cause - The Movie (like, proper hollywood movie, yo)

Just Cause - The Movie (like, proper hollywood movie, yo)

Just Cause - The Movie (like, proper hollywood movie, yo)

Is everyone aware there's going to be a Just Cause movie?

I managed to sit down with the producer recently to talk about the project and this friday will be putting up a lengthy interview on the site all about it.

There's a small tidbit of info up now to whet your appettite - http://tinyurl.com/39dokk2

For now let's use this thread for all discussion relating to the project.

cool news. can't wait to read the interview. when is the release date being aimed for?
    --------
    http://mygamepages.com forums and member created pages

yes, i have heard about it, i also heard it's going to be a indie movie.

I've just whacked the full interview up on the site, go take a look!

http://justcause.com/?page=articles/view&AID=55217

Very exiting news. I read somewhere about this and though it was more like a rumor. This is something solid. Hopefully everything goes well. 3D suretanly fits for this movie. Rico slingshotting around the scenery would look great in 3D.

But I thought the company where Rico belongs is just "The Agency" and not "the Scorpio organization". Though The Agency has already been used in Invisible Man series and The Company in Prison Break.
    It is a just cause to just cause chaos in Just Cause just cause it is fun.
    100 bonus missions right here. One hundred!

Will it be released with just cause 3 following a similar story or will it be based off jc1 or 2. It could be a brand new adventure. I'm excited. It would be smart to release it as promotion for just cause 3 (best game ever). You could release a collectors edition with the game and movie in a medal case for 100-150 bucks. I will see it.

I'm so pumped for the just cause movie!!!

When i saw it i think i messed up my pants. I have so many questions. Like
    Is it going to be a high budget movie?
    Who's going to be the actor of rico?
    Will it take place in panau?
    How long will it take to make it?
    Does anyone besides rico make an appearance?

I know most of these question can't be answered right now, I'm just exited.

I hope they get Rico right, if they don't the movie won't be as amazing as the game
    Check out and Support id:EAZ GrappleHook DLC please! Link Below!
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...13#post1563813

Originally Posted by boyzyy
    I hope they get Rico right, if they don't the movie won't be as amazing as the game
    Well it blatantly won't be as good as the game (because the game was excellent), but it should still be worth a watch.

Maybe it will be as disappointing as the assassin's creed movie... I'm pretty sure it will be something like that...

if they get it right then it will be amazing

Is this still happening?

It is definitely still happening. I hope to have more news on this soon for you guys.

Anxious to know who is being tapped to play Rico. Also, who will write and who will direct?

Any news on whether this will be a feature-length film such as tomb raider and hitman where its a new story, or assassins creed "movie" where its shorter and based on the game... Personally, I would prefer it hitman style

Originally Posted by Dark_Amber
    Any news on whether this will be a feature-length film such as tomb raider and hitman where its a new story, or assassins creed "movie" where its shorter and based on the game... Personally, I would prefer it hitman style
    It's a full blown, proper, in cinemas, edge of your seat, popcorn stuffing movie.

Sadly, I can't say any more.

Originally Posted by mycoldman
    It's a full blown, proper, in cinemas, edge of your seat, popcorn stuffing movie.

Sadly, I can't say any more.
    Awesome!

First, I want it to be clear I am not trying to come off as some big entertainment industry know-it-all trying to discredit Edios, and their efforts...

However, I will be pleasantly surprised if this movie actually gets the green light (financed and put into production) when all is said and done.

Even though I am a huge fan of the series and JC2, I have a feeling this project might become stuck in Development Hell since there couldn't be a worse time in movie history to adapt something like Just Cause into a feature film.

Assuming this will be a film financed by American investors a.k.a. Hollywood, I see it going a couple of different ways:

1) Once the script is finished and a budget is projected... It doesn't go any further because (depending on script & budget) JC is a highly unknown property compared to something with highly visible source material like a bestselling novel, iconic superhero, etc.

In other words, mainstream audiences a.k.a. non-gamers are not familiar with JC and this means lower ticket sales as a result. This is the real reason a lot of video game movies don't do well (aside from being bad movies) at the box office that Adrian and Eric conveniently left out of the interview. It's the lack of mass audience appeal that will make producers hesitate trying to get the film made in the first place since even films with established pedigrees aren't doing that well anymore at the box office as well.

2) If the producers are smart, once the script is finished... They will try and go "The Expendables" route and make what is essentially a low-budget "B-Movie" -- That Just Cause basically fashions itself after -- With one name star, minimal effects and locations.

This would be the smart way to proceed, IMO because like I said before, JC is not a widely known property. So, if the budget is kept at a respectable level it won't matter if it doesn't do well upon release since the investors (studio) won't be out that much to begin with.

The only thing I would not like about a lower budget is when it comes to the action genre, bigger is better because of what it allows the film makers to do. It doesn't mean a better story. It just means bigger and better stunts, visual and special effects, etc.

Just Cause, to me, is a throwback to the over-the-top movies of the '80s and '90s. Films like "Commando", "Rambo", "Die Hard" and "The Matrix" all spring to mind whenever I play JC2... Even if Adrian and Eric don't want to refer to the movie as "over-the-top". This is what JC is. And this is what makes JC so much fun to play as a game; it doesn't apologize for being outrageous and unrealistic.

So, like I said, I am hoping for the best, but given the tentative state of the industry it will be interesting to see if this movie actually gets made... And how it turns out production-wise.

Shows very deep thought, that... I agree. Although non-gamers wouldn't necessarily avoid it. Maybe if you put a picture of the Jade Tan actress nearly topless on the main promo poster :P

Men will sit through the most boring movie if there's just a change that a woman will take her top off. I'm not saying that this movie will be boring .

Adding to what I posted above...

Assuming the producers get the green light... In my opinion, the biggest obstacle is not just making a good stand-alone movie, but one that accurately captures the spirit of Just Cause. This might be a lot harder than it seems because...

JC has a very sly sense of humor interspersed among all the Earth-shattering explosions and cartoon-like characters. I'm not just referring to the obvious pop-culture references like "LOST", for example. I am talking about JC's entire tone and atmosphere. It's tongue & cheek. It's supposed to be corny, exaggerated and resemble an over-the-top action movie like those I mentioned above.

My biggest fear is mainstream audiences won't realize JC is supposed to be tongue & cheek and think the movie is not good because of this...

OR what might be worse, is the producers treat the movie as a serious "action thriller" and try to make Rico, the next James Bond, or Jason Bourne.

I think the latter would be the worst possible thing the producers could attempt with JC because this is another big problem a lot of video game adaptations suffer from: They take themselves way too seriously. That's something they can't afford to do with JC considering what JC is.

I base both these fears on the fact Hollywood rarely does subtle and/or tongue & cheek properly, in my opinion. They always lean too far in one direction in order to make sure mainstream audiences "get it"... But this is what usually manages to strip away what made the source material so great to begin with.

Now, don't misunderstand me.

I'm not saying the producers should make an "Austin Powers" type spoof. I'm saying the producers have to be very careful of how they approach JC because the thing that makes JC unique isn't just the grappling hook, explosions, tropical settings and other technical elements. That's part of what makes JC unique, but what really sets the franchise apart is the whole package; the tongue & cheek tone we are discussing; the over-the-top stunts, etc. In other words, certain elements shouldn't just be glossed over, or ignored just because they aren't tangible like a grappling hook, scorpion tattoo, etc.

There was this recent information.
    It is a just cause to just cause chaos in Just Cause just cause it is fun.
    100 bonus missions right here. One hundred!

Originally Posted by Janmanni
    There was this recent information.
    I think the best part in that is "a third game is now in development" or is that just lies
    Proud owner of a record breaking ZJ!
    signature image

Originally Posted by just-cause-nick
    I think the best part in that is "a third game is now in development" or is that just lies
    Typical case of lazy journalism. It's a rumour at this point, nothing more.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Originally Posted by Driber
    Typical case of lazy journalism. It's a rumour at this point, nothing more.
    I would suspect that to be more a case of deceptive journalism to get hit points on their site, which translates to more valuable ad space.

Anyways, only thing that makes sense at this point since none of this is confirmed is how one wants the movie, if there is to be one, to be like. I'm picturing a Trenton Tarantino directed over the top story with Antonio Banderas playing Rico. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last