Thread: The "Is this game worth playing?" Thread ...

The "Is this game worth playing?" Thread ...

Originally Posted by Kent-45
    Saw the EA logo and was immediately turned off.
    Seconded.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

2. Crysis 2, Console version is ok, no motion blur off, PC Version however, is perfect, great balance, generic to a degree but its one of those games you dont really care its a very nice SCI-Fi and havent seen any of those in a while (no, mass effect is not nice)

Mass Effects is a Good Ass Game!!!

You got to be kitting me Mass Effects is nice.
    1.Customize your character
    2.Make Choices
    3.and then Import your charters and choices into the next game and your trying to say that thats not innovative.
    Mass Effects is nice the fact that you don't like EA is a different story.
    As for the story layout, if your on a dead line you gotta have a layout for tour story. That doesn't mean your going to know what happen next. It like waiting for that next Quentin Tarantino movie to come out, it'll be five years before you'll see another one. Hideo kojima's Metal gear solid thats written from scratch but it takes a really long time to get it right.

Anybody here have any opinions on Singularity? I need something to kill the time before L.A. Noire and I saw it for 10 big ones.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Originally Posted by Icedog
    You got to be kitting me Mass Effects is nice.

1.Customize your character
    How innovative for a Role Playing Game.

Make Choices
    Get the f%$k out, really?

3.and then Import your charters and choices into the next game and your trying to say that thats not innovative.
    And that makes Mass Effect 1 a better game, how?

As for the story layout, if your on a dead line you gotta have a layout for tour story. That doesn't mean your going to know what happen next. It like waiting for that next Quentin Tarantino movie to come out, it'll be five years before you'll see another one. Hideo kojima's Metal gear solid thats written from scratch but it takes a really long time to get it right.
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Anyone here heard of Pathologic before? It looks like my type of game, but I've heard the English translation is pretty bad. If it's good enough to get the message across, though, then I won't care about little grammatical errors.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Judging from the screens, the atmosphere's great. I'm sure the English translation is at least understandable...

I'm just wary because of how there is a developer supported fan made translation patch in the works, that may or may not be cancelled. Also, as far as I've been able to tell, the third playable character is essentially broken due to the translation, but the other 2 are better. How much better, I cannot find out.

Also this:

"No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Myes, that screen's pretty bad... Honestly, the only experience I have with fan translations for a game is the one for Project Zero IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse and it's exceptionally well done if you ask me.

I can't tell whether I should pick the game up, wait for that patch that may never happen, or learn Russian. I know I want to play this game, I'm set on doing so.

Anyway, wasn't that Project Zero game on the wii? How'd they get a fan translation to work?

Yes indeed, Project Zero is a Wii exclusive for Japan. The patch (about 800mb) is installed on a SD card; it bypasses the region-lock and has in-game English text & subtitles. It's like you're playing a PAL or NTSC game but with Japanese voices (which suits Project Zero best anyways, imo). Works like a charm but, a word of warning, because I own a black PAL Wii, I had to change a couple of source code numbers with the help of one of the programmers. This took a few hours. Something with the black Wii's firmware...

If you're like Pathologic you may want to try The Void, wich is made by the same Ice Pick Lodge that made P. but it's actually playable.

Thumbs Up

In case anyone was wondering:

Alpha Protocol is an absolute Must Own ...
    (I'll leave the full detailed and comprehensible explanation to Ugo Harboghast)

Just Cause 2 is a Must Play for those who play a lot of Sandbox titles ...
    It should be rather cheap today too ...

Vanquish , don't bother ...
    It's not exactly broken , but it's nothing much either ... it's just ... there ...
    We just have better games to invest in ...

And some of us hasn't even played Black Ops yet ! now that's a disgrace ! ...
    I mean even Kent Marshall played Black Ops , i saw it on his twiter account , naughty naughty ! ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

Alpha Protocol... You're serious?

Cool

Let's just say that Alpha Protocol to me is like The Saboteur to you , it's that game that just ticked with me ...
    And yes , it earned its seat in my favorite games of our generation , as well of course my nomination for best game of 2010 ...

Maybe i'll hate it on my second playthrough ... we'll see ...

Incidently , both The Saboteur and Alpha Protocol share a similarity in that , despite being games that can potentially start a successful franchise , their publishers Said NOOO ...

Originally Posted by gnrGrievous
    "No!", says their publishers...
    "No!" says the man in Washington, "It belongs to the poor."
    "No!" says the man in the Vatican, "It belongs to God."
    "No!" says the man in Moscow, "It belongs to everyone."
    I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... The Saboteur.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

You know i actually wrote that with Andrew Ryan's voice in mind , but most specifically with the segment in the 'Journey to the Surface' amusement ride in the magnificent sequel that you hated so much ...

Hey , anyone noticed how Gordon didn't shrugged at my order that all should play Call of Duties ? ...
    We're making progress ! Thy domination continues ! ...

You know i actually wrote that with Andrew Ryan's voice in mind , but most specifically with the segment in the 'Journey to the Surface' amusement ride in the magnificent sequel that you hated so much ...
    That was one of the best locations in Bioshock 2, by the way. But my favorite is Pauper's Drop. Come to think of it, Siren Alley and Dionysus Park weren't half bad either.
    I'm actually going to play Bioshock 2 again. Obviously not for the story but if there's anything I did like about it, it's the gameplay and the fact that both console versions run fine when unlocking the framerate in the options menu. At least it's moderately fun. Might give the masterful multiplayer another go as well.

Hey , anyone noticed how Gordon didn't shrugged at my order that all should play Call of Duties ? ...
    We're making progress ! Thy domination continues ! ...
    It's actually because I know that nobody takes anything you say seriously

Alpha Protocol? That game pissed me off since it was supposed to come out the day before my birthday and then got delayed about 8 months.
    That and I heard it was absolute .
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Rolleyes

They also said that Kane & Lynch games are trash, some even consider it as the worst experience they ever had in their decades of gaming...

Man i don't know, Alpha Protocol was just 'different', a good kind too, a kind that is seriously underdeveloped in the industry...
    And considering how Sega just dumped it in a unpolished state and sealed its coffin... man, the lack of faith truly is a shame...

A word of caution though, the game isn't your standard 'shooter', it's more of a long interactive cutscene broken down with gameplay sections in between...
    Sounds like your standard Metal Gear Solid, except that the cutscenes are 'interactive' (granted, it's just a choice of dialogs, but the impact of your choices is quite considerable)...

That, and, in my personal taste, Alpha Protocol's unpolished gameplay is actually more playable than the Metal Gear Solids...

What the hell Gordon? "Unlocking the framerate" ? Bu bu bu but the Option menu puts a warning saying it's bad !!
    No?...

What the hell Gordon? "Unlocking the framerate" ? Bu bu bu but the Option menu puts a warning saying it's bad !!
    No?...
    "May degrade visual quality" except it doesn't (or very, very rarely in which case the result is some screentearing). I encourage you to play two minutes locked and two minutes unlocked; you'll immediately see why I prefer to unlock it.

EDIT:

A bad idea is to unlock the framerate for the 360 version of Bioshock. Even though the PS3 version is significantly inferior, unlocking the framerate greatly improves the experience whereas doing so on the 360 version results in a massive screentearing fest.

Question

Now that think about it , even when i played in 'lock' , there were still quite a few time where the textures will take some time to 'emerge' so to say ... so maybe concerning the visual quality it wouldn't make such a difference ...
    Or does it have something to do with the TV set ? or is it the same on SDTV and HD , for the technical hickups i mean ...

Tell me something , 'how' exactly do you play the Bioshock games ? i mean what's your style ? ...

Just to see if it's different enough than mine , since in the retrospective i'll be doing i plan on tackling it from a different playstyle , using the guns plasmids and tonics i never used , and force myself to stop hacking every single machine i come across (yes sir, it's time to blow stuff up!)...

And also set on Medium , With vita chamber ...
    I've made too many trips the hard way ...

Getting so old soon i'll be buying Super Mario Galaxy , and then complaining that the PS3 can do Everything , but not playing some Wii game ...

No, textures 'emerging' is what they call 'texture pop-in'. Simply put; it's when textures aren't loaded properly or in time. The Unreal Engine is known for this. Nothing to do with the unlocking option

How I play Bioshock:
    * Preparations:
    - turn off the quest arrow
    - turn off horizontal FOV (up until the very last 'level' of the game where your vision is partially obscured by the daddy helmet)
    - turn off all captions
    - effects volume: 90, music volume: 80, speech & master volume: 100.
    - unlock framerate (except for the 360 version of the original, of course)
    - always turn off vita chambers
    - difficulty: mostly medium for a 'casual' playthrough. Though I have no problem starting a fresh run on Hard or Survivor.

und finally:
    - dim the lights, close the blinds and plug in Astro A40 headset for ultimate immersion

* During the game:
    - always collect every audio diary and listen to it very carefully
    - hack everything
    - complete all research asap; immediately buy 100 rolls of film.
    - never buy health or eve upgrades (you get enough from researching the little sisters anyways)
    - never buy upgrades to the electro bolt, fire or ice plasmids. Why? We get a Chemical Thrower with the same elements...
    - depending on my mood I tend to buy Decoy as soon as I can. Most of the time I prefer to 'fool' my foes. It's more fun that way
    - as soon as I get wrench tonics, I equip and combine them all. (Sports Boost 1 + 2, Wrench Jockey 1 + 2, etc.)
    - ... (let me think about the rest and edit later)

Basically, I play very methodical and refrain from playing Bioshock games as a traditional shooter.

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    No, textures 'emerging' is what they call 'texture pop-in'. Simply put; it's when textures aren't loaded properly or in time. The Unreal Engine is known for this. Nothing to do with the unlocking option

How I play Bioshock:
    * Preparations:
    - turn off the quest arrow
    - turn off horizontal FOV (up until the very last 'level' of the game where your vision is partially obscured by the daddy helmet)
    - turn off all captions
    - effects volume: 90, music volume: 80, speech & master volume: 100.
    - unlock framerate (except for the 360 version of the original, of course)
    - always turn off vita chambers
    - difficulty: mostly medium for a 'casual' playthrough. Though I have no problem starting a fresh run on Hard or Survivor.

und finally:
    - dim the lights, close the blinds and plug in Astro A40 headset for ultimate immersion

* During the game:
    - always collect every audio diary and listen to it very carefully
    - hack everything
    - complete all research asap; immediately buy 100 rolls of film.
    - never buy health or eve upgrades (you get enough from researching the little sisters anyways)
    - never buy upgrades to the electro bolt, fire or ice plasmids. Why? We get a Chemical Thrower with the same elements...
    - depending on my mood I tend to buy Decoy as soon as I can. Most of the time I prefer to 'fool' my foes. It's more fun that way
    - as soon as I get wrench tonics, I equip and combine them all. (Sports Boost 1 + 2, Wrench Jockey 1 + 2, etc.)
    - ... (let me think about the rest and edit later)

Basically, I play very methodical and refrain from playing Bioshock games as a traditional shooter.
    I find your lack of bees disturbing.

Of course, Insect Swarm! But I skip Insect Swarm 2... Cyclone Trap is also one of my fav's! In fact, I always attempt (and mostly succeed) to recreate one short segment from the Bioshock trailer: lure a foe in the cyclone trap and set him ablaze with an exploding buck from the shotty when he's in the air.

Page 3 of 6 First First 123456 Last