Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: The "Is this game worth playing?" Thread ...

The "Is this game worth playing?" Thread ...

Question The "Is this game worth playing?" Thread ...

Hi, local cave man here stepped off of his cave to bring some new guidances full of wisdom to the utterly bored citizens of this mad world...

As we all know we're a bunch of penniless philosophers and/or pretentious bastards too lazy to get out of bed to loot the fridge...
    In other words we don't have the time/energy/patience/resources to go through every damn video game that is being thrown out weekly at the factory...

Now there are some games out there that We Know we're going to buy it...
    And there are others that leaves us looking at it with serious doubts...

These are the games that this thread is meant for...
    You may have read the reviews, watched footages, viewed a couple of forum sites reaction, but in the end you're still not sure if the game is worth playing or not...
    So what do you do ?...

You come here and leave the game's title, and wait for the civilised people to respond ...

Because Our Opinion Matters ... and as soon as this world understands it , the better ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

Cool

OK Grievous, Heavy Rain is worth playing.

Now without contradicting yourself, you'd better go and pick yourself up a copy
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Rolleyes

I wanna play tha Move Edition ...
    But four that i need pointed stick ...
    Pointed stick two expensive twoday ...
    Wait a year for lower dollardollar ... or sumthing ...

So Heavy Rain in tha Greyvious playhouse late 2011 , yo ! ...

PS: no spoiler Go Shelby ! you tha man , man ! ...

Back on topic ...
    How about ...

Vanquish ? ...
    Bad Company 2 single player ? ...
    Dog Days ? ...
    Borderland complete edition ? ...

Dog Days is very much worth playing.

I too would like to know if Bad Company 2's single player is worth it. Does it still have that Three Kings vibe? Also, what about Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom? I'm thinking about picking that one up as well as Way of the Samurai 3 if I can find it.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Arrow

Originally Posted by gnrGrievous

Vanquish ? ...
    I thought is was soo bad it was funny. Not very good but funny. Watch the friendly AI and you will most likley wonder if anyone actually bothered to play test the game.

Bad Company 2 single player ? ...
    I hated it. Could not take more then two hours of it. Although I bet everyone else will say differently.

Dog Days ? ...
    It's good...

Borderland complete edition ? ...
    It's fun if you've got friends to play it with.

Lightbulb

I find the reactions to my asking of Dog Days hilarious...

It's the sequel to the best game of all time !...
    How could it possibly not be worth playing...

Besides its a mandatory purchase for every decent human being in this universe...

Originally Posted by joe the janitor
    I thought is was soo bad it was funny. Not very good but funny.
    That ... doesn't sound very reassuring, i don't know why...

As for the A.I. pretty much like most big games out there, at least i hope you don't have to rely on your allies to continue your progress...

I hated it. Could not take more then two hours of it. Although I bet everyone else will say differently.
    I did found a poll with people comparing this, Medal of Honor and Black Ops for best campaign...
    Bad Company 2 gets all the praises, and yet No One would say 'why'...
    Scary ...

It's fun if you've got friends to play it with.
    So i'm screwed if i play it solo ? ...

So i'm screwed if i play it solo ? ...
    Naw, it's just less fun, not bad, just not as fun
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Wink

Guess i'll skip it then , Borderland already doesn't look quite appealing to me ...

Anywya , i see no harm in saving more money for other 'complete edition' games coming out next year (Brotherhood , Mafia II , New Vegas , Force Unleashed II) ...

(Dog Days with the seven missing hours , including an 'apology' video from the gorilla) ...

Cool

I wanna play tha Move Edition ...
    But four that i need pointed stick ...
    Pointed stick two expensive twoday ...
    Wait a year for lower dollardollar ... or sumthing ...

PS: no spoiler Go Shelby ! you tha man , man ! ...
    You actually require both types of Controllers in order to play Heavy Rain that way.

And If I might make a suggestion, I personally think the Controller would be better to start off with, it's really probably better than Move in the long run . . .

I'm only getting the Move to play it out of extreme obsessive/loyalty to Heavy Rain/Quantic Dream.

And to find out why it was so damned important to do the Move thing instead of finish up HR: C
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Lightbulb

I WANT TO PUNCH GANGBANGERS IN THE FACE WITH MAH POINTED STICK ! ... ESPECIALLY WITH THE PINK GLOW , THAT'S LETHAL ...

Back on topic ...
    Darksiders ...

I played that demo , you had the entire first dungeon to go through , t'was not annoying ... but it felt boring , or rather , too simplistic and somewhat repetitive ...
    How does the rest of the game evolve ? still the same with just a couple new toys ? ...

Also i take it that both Army of Two games aren't worth playing ...

Plus now I remember the demo of The 40th Day being a miserable experience ...

Due to a lack of better competitions out there ...
    Go Kane & Lynch ! ...

Originally Posted by Brackstone17
    Dog Days is very much worth playing.
    I too would like to know if Bad Company 2's single player is worth it. Does it still have that Three Kings vibe?
    NO... and that's the worst part of BC2. BC1's story was amazingly funny, and I was disappointed how BC'2 story was so serious. Multiplayer's rush mode dosen't even use gold crates anymore, just generic computer boxes
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

@BeardedHoplite

I don't know if I can recommend Way of the Samurai 3, it has its moments, but it's also incredibly restricted, repetitive and full of quirks that are too much japanese and from another generation to fully enjoy.

Dialog is delivered in text boxes, with the charters acting like sims, quests are delivered by one specific character for each faction, and aren't much to look foward too.
    There's some minigames thrown there, but aren't very intresting, some if failed can also bring to your demise, wich is a pain as you can imagine.

There's a lot of pretend drama, with the tipical overacting by the main characters. There's also a lot of "humor" and plain silly stuff, like missions where you have to fetch some underwear for an old lady. There's also a lot of stuff that are too much "gamey" and brake the immersion, like you heal yourself eating giant vegetables that you pull from the ground with a kick, the map isn't big by any means but it manage to be broken into 8 (not sure) parts, unlockables that are there for some sort of fan service, things like wings, afro, glasses...cat suits O_o

But as I said it has its moments, the fighting is very arcade, but the mix of parring and attacking can be fun, there's also a lot of moves to unlock and learn to use. Moves are tied to your experience points and your weapons, so each weapon will have it's stance(3 types) and a set of moves. It gets interesting when you get to craft your own weapon, there's a ton of parts that you can collect, than bring them to a blacksmith and choose to combine them(each will have it's bonuses of course), then you get to choose wich move set to use with it.

You can craft all sorts of weapons, some will feel terribly out of place, like many other things in the game, but it's an interesting thing. It's also very usefull to get a good weapon as you'll have to fight a lot. Some of the best fights happens out chance, nothing beats encountering a rival samurai, but in the fight hitting another one by mistake, suddenly having to fight two, but then they start fighting among themself, others join their friends and making a quick run for my life(you lose honor if you run from a fight, but you keep your life ).

There's some fun to be had with it, but it's like playing a game from 10 years ago, the graphics are a little better than a ps2's, but most of all it's all the little conventions that may have been ok sometime ago, but not for today's standards. It feels like a smaller, zombie-less, samurai version of DeadRising; it's really frustrating to play in the beginning, but as you go along with it and learn all it's tricks, it gets fun. It's hard to racommend as it comes with a lot IFs, if you stand the dated look, the cheesy stuff, the old mechanics, the repeted playthrough, you may like it.

Problem is that there's nothing quite like it, and it may be worth yourwhile just to try something off the beaten road, just keep in mind that you'll have to dirty your shoes. If on the other hand you just want an action trip mixed with a samurai theme, you may want to play Mini Ninjas or Muramasa instead.

Way of the Samurai sounds a bit like Deadly Premonition, but with good gameplay in place of a good plot. Still, if I see it around $30, I think I'll pick it up.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Games will rot your mind, kids.
    No game is worth that.

Question

Did i missed something ? ...
    Why was UhUh responding to Beardy about Way of the Samurai if he didn't even talked about it in the first place ? ...

Am i living in the same dimension as you guys ? ...

Edit: after some inspection i've discovered that UhUh meant to respond it to Brackstone , not Beardy , this kind mistake was quite shameful i say ...

Nevertheless the question of whether i live in the same dimension as you guys persists ...

I told you video games rot our minds! Take UhUh as an example.

Rolleyes

Well i suppose someone is going to ask these eventually ...

Odyssey to the West ...
    Lords of Shadow ...
    Dead Rising 2 ...
    Quantum Theory (it's So bad that it's worth playing , right ?) ...

Thumbs Down

What ? neither praises nor criticism for these games ? ...
    Christmas period doesn't mean you all have to be lazy damn it ! or else i'm gonna complain about it to Santa (he's my neighbor , yah know) and none of you will get freebies next week ...

Ain't Enslaved suppose to be a cult fan favorite ? ...
    Doesn't the swarm of 90+ review scores for Castlevania means it's the game of the year ? ...
    Didn't you people all seemed to enjoyed Dead Rising 2 ? ...
    And Quantum Theory looks like the new Dead Men , bad gameplay but full of art ... well isn't it ? ...

Dead Rising 2 is awesome.

Lightbulb

As i made my visit to Gamesradar i saw a couple of the editors making praises for one of the sleepovers of the year: Singularity ...

Any comments ? ...

Singularity ...
    Looked awful, supposedly awful, claimed afuwl, is awful.

Are we just asking about new games, or are all games allowed?

If that's the case anyone know if Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GameBoY Advance/SP is worth playing?

And ANY PS Move games?
    ~The Emu hath landed~

Cool

Any games that leaves you doubt counts ... preferably we'll stick to games that has already came out for at least a week , and not to games that comes out in a few months ... since our broken time machine hasn't been fixed yet ...

As for Singularity , maybe the praises were mainly due to the time the game was released , June/July , and during these harsh barren times , people all began to have mirages that all games are great and their flaws insignificant ... ... ...

Possible release date for Kane & Lynch III spotted ? ...

Dead Space: Ignition is NOT worth playing, I'm sorry I know how deeply you all wanted to play that game
    ~The Emu hath landed~

IMPYEMU is correct, game is and i struggled at the first main puzzle where a airlock or i think a asteroid threat is coming and need to shut a door. Luckily a pre-ordered the game and got the code. Then pre-ordered again and got the code again.
    Gingers always want to become cops so they can abuse others just like they were abused themselves - Ohitspatty speaking the cold, dark truth.

I hate spin-offs. Never buy 'em.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last