Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Mythology

  1. #1

    Mythology

    With all this exciting news about the reboot(which is awesome), i couldn't help but notice that the mythological aspect of this new tomb raider was left out. One of my favorite aspects of TR was the Mythological tie-ins that worked so well, and I know TRE takes place near japan, but looking back at the concept art, what aspect of Japanese mythology could this be tied to.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackThor View Post
    With all this exciting news about the reboot(which is awesome), i couldn't help but notice that the mythological aspect of this new tomb raider was left out. One of my favorite aspects of TR was the Mythological tie-ins that worked so well, and I know TRE takes place near japan, but looking back at the concept art, what aspect of Japanese mythology could this be tied to.
    I'm not even sure this game should even be titled Tomb Raider and I'm not sure why they even named it that.

    It would make more sense to just label the game ''Lara Croft'' so it pretty much heavily relies on her this game and not an actual mythology/artifact

    people would still know what the game associates with if it was just called ''Lara Croft''

  3. #3
    It's a reboot guys! I loved the whole myth thing too but i'm up for new things, you can't totally close off the new idea they have, i love it! In fact, i'm sure there'll be some sort of mythical objects scattered around for her to collect. You know? Relics or something... Anyway... it's more realistic i suppose now then....
    signature image

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    It's a reboot guys! I loved the whole myth thing too but i'm up for new things, you can't totally close off the new idea they have, i love it! In fact, i'm sure there'll be some sort of mythical objects scattered around for her to collect. You know? Relics or something... Anyway... it's more realistic i suppose now then....
    That's one thing I'm tired of this current generation. Everything has to be ''realstic'' for it to be considered good.

    We'll see though, I'd like it to actually have something similar to recongnize from the older games, if not I'll be extremely disappointed

  5. #5
    yeah, i know. whether it's realistic or not doesn't bother me, it's just the experience and to be honest it sounds amazing. I'll see for myself when i actually play it whether or not i like it, but i like the idea of an open-world environment. it sounds much more interactive and fun.
    There will be something there, lara's awesome kick assness, just based upon a more ordinary figure of lara. At least here, we get to see how she becomes the woman she is today with her amazing abilities to survive anything. We'll see her manage to survive on things we probably couldn't imagine in this game. In my opinion, it should be amazing.
    signature image

  6. #6
    As long as there aren't some alien demons around I'd say anything goes. I hope it sticks to realism (assuming dinosaurs, mummies and such are real but not easy to find)

    I wonder how big the island is. It can be only so big and it also needs a series of tombs and ruins on it. I'd go the obvious route and guess it's some sort of feudal-age secret retreat filled with samurai-style stuff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    I'm still not sure about the whole open world thing. CD was barely able to create a linear experience. I don't know how they could do an open world, they are no Bethesda lol

  8. #8
    I'd guess they go after Arkham Asylum style

    Open outside area
    "Doors" to various "buildings"
    Plenty of generic boulders and platforms to climb (And TR has scalable walls)
    When your skills and gadgets improve you can get to places
    Replace Riddler Trophies and such with Treasures

    Profit??? Metacritic score over 90???

    Oh man I want Arkham City

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    It's a reboot guys! I loved the whole myth thing too but i'm up for new things, you can't totally close off the new idea they have, i love it! In fact, i'm sure there'll be some sort of mythical objects scattered around for her to collect. You know? Relics or something... Anyway... it's more realistic i suppose now then....
    Yeah but if they don't have her uncovering "tombs" and other places that usually have some mythological connections then it would really have no reason to be called "Tomb Raider" seeing as tombs have no part in it

    Also i'm all for the changes they've announced. i was simply commenting on the fact that we've seen that this game has monsters....so something supernatural is going on, and the only option besides mythology to explain those would be something dumb like genetic experiments. and i doubt anyone wants that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,751
    There were monsters in the concept art, so it definitely won't be completely realistic
    signature image

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    Well, in Lara's new biography it mentions that the whole point of her expedition was to visit a newly discovered and untouched series of tombs found in the Japanese area, so perhaps there will still be an element of mythology. Once Lara learns to survive and meets her new enemies, due to her inquisitive nature, she's bound to go searching for answers to their origin at some point.
    Saving is fun, kids! Save constantly.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackThor View Post
    Yeah but if they don't have her uncovering "tombs" and other places that usually have some mythological connections then it would really have no reason to be called "Tomb Raider" seeing as tombs have no part in it
    oh yeah... i see your point... but i'm sure there'll be some random tombs scattered about the place. there should be. ung. I HAVE NO IDEA BUT IT SOUNDS AWESOME. xD
    signature image

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    Cthulhu?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    That's one thing I'm tired of this current generation. Everything has to be ''realstic'' for it to be considered good.

    We'll see though, I'd like it to actually have something similar to recongnize from the older games, if not I'll be extremely disappointed
    Of course TR, would never be so "realistic" that we would not have monsters or mythological artifacts that could give the person who possesses it powers, because without things like that, that would make it a game it would not be TR.

    As for how Lara looks, acts, moves and how the environment looks and how realistic it acts when interacting with it etc. I'm all for the more realistic the better makes the game more amazing. Also graphics are getting close to that point, but who knows when the game is released TOMB RAIDER could be the first game to come very close to that point or hit that point.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    Cthulhu?
    yeah! now i get why mysterion and mintberry crunch were on lara's ship

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    Cthulhu?
    How does Cthulhu come into this? I'm very sure Dagon wasn't the one who destroyed Lara's ship.
    Saving is fun, kids! Save constantly.

  17. #17
    I might sound stupid, but what is cthulhu?
    signature image

  18. #18
    .....Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Susanou?

    ER, I think Susanou would be more likely, but all three are related.
    As for the monsters...I don't know...Your average onryou?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    I might sound stupid, but what is cthulhu?
    Cthulu is a fictional mythological figure with a whole world/story built around it - called the Chthulu Mythos - that was created by the horror author H.P. Lovecraft, a highly inspirational writer towards games of the survival horror type (a game engine was even built in his name), such as the recent Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, an incredible game, is based around Lovecraft's novels.

    I quoted Natla saying it because I had no idea how Cthulu had anything to do with Tomb Raider - I made a joke about Dagon, another mythological character in the Cthulu Mythos, because he attacked (and destroyed?) the carrier ship the player was on in that game and caused him to be trapped on an island, similar to Lara's predicament. Maybe Natla wanted a Cthulu-styled storyline? I don't know.

    Anyway, don't worry about sounding stupid, barely anyone knows about him/it.
    Saving is fun, kids! Save constantly.

  20. #20
    oh... ok... sounds cool actually. :')
    signature image

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by LC is Me View Post
    .....Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Susanou?

    ER, I think Susanou would be more likely, but all three are related.
    As for the monsters...I don't know...Your average onryou?
    Interesting... Also involving Izanagi and Izanami no Mikoto. Umm... I think those monster from the leaked art now almost certainly fact, might be Shikome.
    signature image

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    I'm not even sure this game should even be titled Tomb Raider and I'm not sure why they even named it that.

    It would make more sense to just label the game ''Lara Croft'' so it pretty much heavily relies on her this game and not an actual mythology/artifact

    people would still know what the game associates with if it was just called ''Lara Croft''
    I second that. This game has nothing to do with tombs at all.

    I'm going to really miss that aspect. I really enjoyed this, and TRU taught me so much about norse mythology. I'm not sure how I feel about the reboot. It sounds awesome, but it's just not tomb raider. I'm going to miss all the old games, and the old Lara. I liked the way she was able to keep all her emotions inside, but you still knew she was upset or angry. She never exploded(and I mean emotionally, because I've blown her up with grenades many, many times) and is able to keep her cool. Where's that Lara??
    Sink Or Swim

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    It would make more sense to just label the game ''Lara Croft'' so it pretty much heavily relies on her this game and not an actual mythology/artifact
    I don't quite remember there actually being anything being said about any major, spoiling aspects of the storyline, nor anyone saying that there wasn't some mythological aspect to the game. I would think with the info, there'd be something, even if it's only a small side bit.

    It's a little too early to just throw things out the window like that.
    So let's not jump ahead of ourselves.

    Let's also keep in mind...it's an origin story. I wouldn't expect Lara to be frequenting ancient tombs her first time on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by naraku View Post
    Interesting... Also involving Izanagi and Izanami no Mikoto. Umm... I think those monster from the leaked art now almost certainly fact, might be Shikome.
    HURRRM. I hadn't even thought about Shikome. >w<
    That would be really cool if they were the enemies in that concept.
    Window is really open for anything I guess, but I think those would be the most interesting.

  24. #24
    I just read about the Shikome on wiki. Their description of them does parallel the concept art we've thus far seen. I really like that whole story of them being sent to hunt down Izanagi. I see a great story if they implement these characters

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    Surely there'll be tombs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •